Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Tier System

+3
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
7 posters

Go down

The Tier System Empty The Tier System

Post  Ramsus Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Tier System Notes

Thematthew and I have been working a bit on this system here and we'd appreciate ideas and feedback. It's still in its very early stages so, please forgive the roughness. The design intent is for it to work well with and parallel the PT/LL system but, also to be something a bit different. For example, when its "finished", you should be able to swap out the Racial Traits of PT/LL for our Character Traits, use our combat system instead, or other such mixing and matching without much effort. We'd continue working on this silently but, we're both a bit lazy and without something/someone to react to we tend to only end up working on things when we're just very bored. We're also only two people and will get creativity blocks or just won't see things a larger group would.

As you'll note, currently it's modeled as a Star Wars game. However, that's just the model we're starting with. When we're "finished" it shouldn't be a lot of work to create different setting versions. Our rough ideas for such currently are a supers setting, a medieval fantasy setting, and considering that this is being posted here I'm sure we'll end up with a MLP one whether we wanted one or not. =P

Just to head off any drama related stuff... Yes, we asked Dan about posting this here. No, we aren't saying that the PT/LL isn't good, we just like designing stuff.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

The Tier System Empty Re: The Tier System

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:00 pm

My first thoughts are... It looks at a glance to be very complex... And that's the only thought I'm able to clearly form about this.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 pm

It's a bit more complex than the PT/LL system but, overall is still pretty simplistic.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Dice pools, kinda reminds me of Shadowrun to be honest. I quite enjoyed that system. (initial thought)

Edit: I noticed Derp seems a little harsh, I'd suggest maybe making a roll of 1 count as 2 failures instead of a blanket 1 downgrade, just a thought...
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:14 pm

The system itself was inspired by the dice pool system created for Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, though their version doesn't really work because of specialized dice so we came up with this instead. Personally I was a big fan of Shadowrun myself, both system and setting, and there are definitely things which I learned from working with that system being brought in here.

As far as Derp being too harsh, a blanket 1 downgrade is significantly less harsh than giving a chance to cancel out successes, since one can get upgrades to their dice pools relatively easily. It was actually one of the worst parts of the old WoD system that you could cancel out your successes by rolling 1s. In fact, with the way their variable target numbers worked, you could reach a point where additional dice were a liability, and could actually do more harm than good based solely on increasing the chances of botching.

That having been said, thank you for the feedback.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:46 am

I added in an example of how rolling for a check works out. I hope that helps lessen some of the confusion.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:05 am

Thanks Ramsus, that REALLY helped explain things with the whole "dice pool" idea that I couldn't wrap my mind around how that worked until seeing your sample roll.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:07 am

So basically, it's like the dice system in Shadowrun?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:08 am

It's similar but, not exactly the same.

I'm glad it helped Xel. There'll be a few more explanations for other things soon.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 pm

So, lol, I accidentally got my example wrong in my haste to get it out there. I blame it being late. So those of you who saw it before should probably re-check it.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 am

The first three classes now exist in an unfinished state. If people have ideas for Boon-like abilities that'd probably be a big help. They don't necessarily have to be aimed as a benefit for the whole team.

We added some keywords to Talents and added triggers for the existing Refresh Powers.

We'd appreciate suggestions for what Melee/Ranged should do besides being just a check to see if Slow/Deflect and other things apply.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Added in a Cyborg option. Thanks to Caden for help with the idea.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:12 am

Added in Boons (which are a bit different from PT Boons) and all the Tier 1 & 2 Classes. Currently contemplating an optional Talent Specialization deal. Philli, your input on that would be appreciated. Assuming you ever see this post.

Also, we've got Xand as our editor, so hopefully soon things will look nicer.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Figured out the point costs and how many points we want people to have for Character Traits. Wish we had a few more 1 point traits so, if anyone has any ideas that'd be really nice.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 pm

O....k. Haven't updated this in a while.

Stuff of note:

A lot of work got done a while ago on all sorts of things. Most recently, implemented a tweak to how Encounter Powers work.

Xand stopped being our editor a while ago so stuff still isn't pretty because we don't really have one. Sad

Philadelphus began work on a version of Talent Specialization for us. Very Happy

We still need more 1 point character traits and really any suggestions for basically anything would be appreciated (aside from "this is bad, change this entire thing" or such).
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 am

This is a really interesting concept, and I can see with a lot of effort it could be a very interesting thing to try and incorporate into a higher level game than lv 10. At the moment, it is a bit too complex for me to fully comprehend this late at night for me, however I might be interested in looking through it a bit more readily, if you'll allow me to make a few comments, later today after I've slept.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am

Why exactly is the system called the "Tier System"? Why not just call it Star Wars supplement? Or is it deeper than just Star Wars?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:13 pm

It's called the Tier System because that represents one of the core mechanics of the system and it is intended to function for other settings besides Star Wars. Also calling it any version of Star Wars anything is kinda meaningless as it'd just end up with a subtitle as there are lots of Star Wars systems out there. It's not a supplement to anything, it's its own system so "Star Wars supplement" would be inaccurate.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 am

Added the Toxified status condition (thanks Paper Shadow) and the Local Lore talent.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:16 am

Added a new Character Trait, Internal Clock (yay another 1 pointer, we really need more of those).
Added new Talents: Mind of Its Own, Green Thumb, Memories of the Dead, Like a Surgeon, I'm a Doctor, not a Bricklayer, and Artificial Gravity.
Added a new Weapon Specialty for Poles: Reach.

Special thanks for this update goes to ZamuelNow, Hayatecooper, and Zarhon.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum