Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archetype/Class Template discussion

3 posters

Go down

Archetype/Class Template discussion Empty Archetype/Class Template discussion

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Splitting off from some suggestions about base classes, I decided to start working on some. I was already needing builds for the Mane 6 and Spike for a campaign I'll be trying to run so I decided to do some altered versions or Level 1 players. Split things between the utility talents and combat talents while still allowing players to pick race, element, and destiny. These are subject to change since most here are vastly more experienced than I so they have better insight on the problems with the builds. I'm actually mildly dissatisfied with the "Support" build and it took a lot of thinking to get it where it is. Have two sets so far with my tentative plans being to do simplified templates for Mane 6, Spike, and Trixie with maybe a few more if I can think of interesting setups. MyLittleEmpath from over at the Allspark is helping me with the art concepts. Only one image was complete but I figured the discussion could start without them. Only two sets are done so far.

Daredevil (Utility) 04/07/2013 - Maddening Mockery replaced with I’ll Rainbow Dash To Your Side
Dervish (Combat) 04/05/2013 - Daredevil's Rush Replaced with Supercharge, 04/06/2013 Image added

Wilderness Companion (Utility) *name subject to change*
Support (Combat) 04/06/2013 Support Me! replaced with Faith Ward, 04/08/2013 Conjure Rabbit replaced with Peacekeeper’s Vow

Mage (Utility)
Blaster (Combat)

Guardian (Combat)

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 am; edited 3 times in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Archetype/Class Template discussion Empty Re: Archetype/Class Template discussion

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

A very nice first try for starter sets... But I see that Maddening Mockery in on the list, and you're suggesting to have one's horse sense be a 5... Even if trained, still that wont jell that much with that utiltiy talent.

Also not that sure why you've got The Stare in the list of utiltiy talents for your other non-combat starter. (other then the fact that Fluttershy can do that talent...)

Lastly I noticed you didn't add any item suggestions nor any trait suggestions on level up for the combat builds.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Archetype/Class Template discussion Empty Re: Archetype/Class Template discussion

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Just quickly scanning...

Why does the Daredevil have Maddening Mockery? They only have a +5 to Perception and Persuasion checks...

I don't like the Dervish combat build, although that may stem from my dislike of risk-taking rather than it being bad. But other than that, Daredevil's Rush is very risky to play with, and only really worth it when partnered up with stuff like Iron Shield or an ally with a talent that allows you to make a standard action immediately. Maybe consider looking at Supercharge instead?

No Call Animal and Animal Magnetism on the Wilderness Companion? No Speak to Nature?

Why did you choose Conjure Rabbit on the Support? Why not Peacekeeper's Vow, Sanctity of Faith, or Form of the Serene Armadillo? Also, perhaps the thing you don't like about the Support Build is the fact that it has no big healing abilities, or that is only half a healer, mixed with a conjuration talent and some Paladin/Warlord talents? There's nothing wrong with doing that, but maybe that's what is making you feel iffy about it?

Finally, is there a reason item suggestions aren't made on the combat builds?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Didn't add traits since I didn't think you got those until later and these were aimed at being lvl 1. Making suggestions still would have been good. Didn't add item suggestions...because I was being totally dense there.

Maddening Mockery was more thematic but you make a good point that the stats don't support having it. Theme has affected a number of things with my thoughts on these. I was also trying to not repeat things among the builds when possible so if different builds are chosen for the same team, everyone feels unique.

The things lacking from Wilderness Companion were done with the thought process of getting them as the character leveled and having a bit of lateral utility at lvl 1, thus Stealth Mode and The Stare were added. Considering the higher base Persuasion and the ability to use it on animals as well, The Stare is a better fit than Maddening Mockery.

Might go ahead and swap out Daredevil's Rush for Supercharge due to the suggestions made here.

Conjure Rabbit was from trying so hard to make it "The Fluttershy build with the serial numbers filed off", it was a + pip move, and the thought process of the healer never being purely alone even when split from the part. Really wish there were more actual animal options. The build being a bit of a hybrid doesn't bother me since I'm used to City of Heroes where most support classes could do a pretty good job of fending for themselves. Just keep feeling like there's something "missing". May swap out Support Me! for Peacekeeper's Vow, Sanctity of Faith, or Form of the Serene Armadillo since it was added more for the conceptual "the team doesn't like it when you pick on Fluttershy".
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Still need to get the trait and item suggestions done but went ahead and did the initial drafts for another set:

Mage (Utility)
Blaster (Combat)

Explicitly did not add Magecraft since these are presumably aimed at beginners. Manually selected the block of Enchantments for simplicity and reducing overlap with upcoming builds. Still left room to pick up Magical Tricks. Dirty Look was meant as a way to prevent enemies from countering your effects in your presence.

Hit a conceptual snag on the Applejack inspired utility build. While AJ herself was kinda easy, I was designing the template as a jack of all trades build but had difficulty reducing overlap and it still actually being good.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down