Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13]

+10
Z2
Xel Unknown
tygerburningbright
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Stairc -Dan Felder
A1C Bronymous
Zarhon
LoganAura
Pingcode
14 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Empty Re: Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13]

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I've been trying for the last hour. I DON'T HAVE ANY WAY TO MAKE ANYTHING ORIGINAL. Especially since we would have to be drawing characters from the show, because OC's are also ineligible. Man you aren't even running this thing, why am I talking to you?

In fact:
Paper Shadow wrote:
Pingcode wrote:The intent of the 'must be your own work to be eligible for prizes' is to be fair to the people interested in putting together their own smileys from existing works- with the value of the prizes I'm by no means expecting original work coming out for it,

So what are you even talking about.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Empty Re: Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13]

Post  Zarhon Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:54 pm

What I meant by permission is "ask the creator of the original, not-directy-copied-or-taken/screenshoted-from-show-art/vectors whether he agrees/approves with his stuff being used as a smiley", lest they see it as art theft.

As far as the general "what you can and can't use", I've mostly used show-available vectors (stuff you can take a screenshot of and crop out, which I did for quite a few of, or that someone made an identical higher-quality isolated vector of, because that's essentially copying from the show. I've credited most of those, though.), while those that are original works like ZuTheSkunk's art, stuff from Mr.Poniator's vid or the PFUDOR AJ vector (original since there isn't any vector of AJ munching her hat adorably in any episode), I provided credit for and asked them for permission (except PFUDOR, for now, which is probably for Brony to do).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Good News! Bad News!

Hi there, everyposter! I've got some good news and some bad news for you all, and it concerns the prizes. I'll start with the bad news.

No poster is able to win both the Moderator's Choice and the People's Choice awards

The good news is that the reason for that is because it would be silly to give one person both prizes, now that:

The prizes for the Moderator's Choice and the People's Choice awards are now ALL of the IDW Micro Comics from 1-6!
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Submission Period Over!

I have prizes burning a hole in my pocket and I still need to pass them out!

As promised, this coming week will be Voting Week - place your vote for the three smileys you like best, followed by the author of the smiley, and optionally the title of the smiley, in bold text. Your first choice will receive 3 points, while your second choice will receive 2 points, and your third choice will receive 1 point. The user with the most points will receive the prize, with tiebreaks by absolute number of votes.

The voting period will last until 11:59pm Wednesday August 14th, 2013, after which the prizes will be awarded.

Example Vote
Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 I0mItdt Poster1
Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 BC8dvT5 Poster2
Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 HeY3pmu Poster3

Try to keep all votes in this style.

And, as mentioned previously, the intent was to exclude the submission of existing smileys and trivial edits (eg. cropping a small section from another smiley), not force completely original content.

---
List of Smileys
Caution: Smileys unseparated within spoilers

Example Smileys
Spoiler:

Bronymous
Spoiler:

Zarhon (gifs excluded, not smiley-ready)
Spoiler:

Paper Shadow
Spoiler:

Dusk Raven
Spoiler:

Clearance granted via LoganAura
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 pm

I assume us smiley makers should vote on smileys other than our own, or...? Or do we just not vote?

Last edited by Zarhon on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Smiley42 Bronymous

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 LRRt4mS Zarhon

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Y0ey8Zj Zarhon
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 WSTHbqp Paper Shadow (Because I'll use it... A lot...)

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 WWUsaQD Paper Shadow (Because I'm likely to use this one too... A lot..)

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Smiley53 Bronymous (Because... As a player that loves the Element of Laughter, I had to pick this one for it's how I always feel when I use it.)
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 R9hVq0j Zarhon

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 WSTHbqp Paper

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 WWUsaQD Paper

I'd also like to put forth now that the custom titles are a bad idea.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Zarhon: You can vote, just don't do all 3 your own creation.

Z2: A bit late for that, I've already promised. The biggest thing with the custom titles is that there's a veto. Nothing innappropriate, or condescending.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 WSTHbqp Paper

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 WWUsaQD Paper

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 0wk2IAq Zarhon
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Question; if gifs aren't forum-ready, why are we allowed to vote for the example gif?

(Read: I'm totally going to vote for the example gif...)
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:36 pm

@Logan
You didn't "promise," you just wrote it down... at the start of the thread... in a very impulsive-seeming sort of way.

I'm not going to insist that 'Smile, Smile, Smile' is incredibly stupid; but I don't see any way that the 'choose your own title' thing can possibly end well.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Z2 wrote:I'm not going to insist that 'Smile, Smile, Smile' is incredibly stupid; but I don't see any way that the 'choose your own title' thing can possibly end well.
Personally, I would take "Dragon" as my title if I am that lucky. Don't want to go too crazy with it after all...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 KcXmV4v Zarhon
Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Smiley37 Bronymous
Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 MC18jx3 Pingcode

I'm not going to insist that 'Smile, Smile, Smile' is incredibly stupid; but I don't see any way that the 'choose your own title' thing can possibly end well.
Have you no faith in us?

@Paper: The smiley gifs I posted weren't "properly shrunk" (they were just re-sized with the image tool of the forum). I would have altered them if I knew how with GIMP, though (not getting a reply on the related question didn't help), and I sort of assumed there would be some sort of after-editing of them for making them into forum smileys. Would shrinking the gifs make em eligible?

Last edited by Zarhon on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Z2 wrote:@Logan
You didn't "promise," you just wrote it down... at the start of the thread... in a very impulsive-seeming sort of way.
It was kind of an official addition to the rules.

Z2 wrote:but I don't see any way that the 'choose your own title' thing can possibly end well.

As I've said, if the things are inappropriate or condescending, they're unallowed.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:Question; if gifs aren't forum-ready, why are we allowed to vote for the example gif?

(Read: I'm totally going to vote for the example gif...)

Zarhon's are not forum-ready primarily because they're not actually resized, they're just posted using size-limiting img tags. As in if they were implemented as is you'd have a smiley larger than the entire smiley box. Purely a technical issue. (Also while I'm on it, bad Zarhon, image leeching)

EDIT: Also, I'll work on a solution for that, though strictly speaking they're not eligible regardless because, well, they're leeched off Derpibooru and haven't any work done on them yet.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Manged to re-sized the gif smileys (in hindsight, it was me being stupid with GIMP that was why I failed earlier).

As far as the first two ones go, I got permission to use those from Mr. Poniator (who told me he put them on derpibooru, when I asked him about isolated gifs/animations, or to get the puppets and such from the video myself, which I have zero knowledge working with and no tools for).

The Pinkamena one didn't re-size properly (glitchy), and I have no idea who made it (it's more than a year old), so not including it.

The Fluttershy one I'm not sure where I got from anymore never mind, found it: Source. Asking artist for permission. I used the isolated version because I have no idea how to make / crop / isolate whole animations from the show vids (or even from non-cropped gifs).

Resized gifs:

Edit: Realized I made a typo in previous post when I said I "made" them. Meant to say I submitted/posted them. Embarassed 
Edit Edit: Found the Fluttershy one's source, credited.

Edit edit edit: As far as the smileys go, will only the winners of the contest/voted on smileys be used/added as actual forum smileys? Or are all of the eligible/posted ones viable?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:19 am

Well I guess I'm not winning. Why did you guys add the oversized super badly done not good Luna I posted first? It's super badly done and not good.

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Smiley53 Bronymous

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Smiley40 Bronymous

Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 FQs0SMt Zarhon

That was a rough decision. On the one hand, we need a lot more cowSweetie Belle. On the other, I want to vote for ones that have been voted for, for better chance of getting in, and getting a prize maybe.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:23 am

Zarhon wrote:Edit edit edit: As far as the smileys go, will only the winners of the contest/voted on smileys be used/added as actual forum smileys? Or are all of the eligible/posted ones viable?

The ones that are forum-ready will be made into smilies, gradually while I learn the process.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:24 am

1: Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 Smiley34Why, Hello There. (Bronymous)

2: Smiley Thread! [New Submission 14/9/13] - Page 3 W3DwCEAYa Won't, Huh? (Zarhon)

3: Paper Shadow's Crit rolls (I assume we're considering the pair, as a single entry?)

I recognize I've named them something different than their submitter ... but I'm guessing how I'd use such smileys in a post. Anyway, cool images all around.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:35 am

Actually nat 1 and nat 20 are two different smilies.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:39 am

LoganAura wrote:Actually nat 1 and nat 20 are two different smilies.

I'm just saying, that if you accept the one ... you have to accept the other. My opinion. My vote. Make your own guessing about bent-chads and dual-holed votesheets when you go to count them.
Suspect 
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:42 am

This isn't a vote for the acceptance (Any forum ready and applicable ones will be made into smilies) This is a vote for the prize. One vote, one smilie. This is the rules.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:26 am

Unlike the usenet days of yore, there's plenty of space for a good bucketful of smileys (though some might be a little on the large side for actual implementation).

That said there's a hard limit of 150 smileys of average size including the 92 defaults, so there may be trimming of less applicable smiley submissions.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:26 am

Voting is Closed!

Results have been tabulated, please hold while I chase the moderation staff down with a hammer.

That said, thanks to everyone who participated! Keep your eyes peeled for final results.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next