Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Equestria Daily?

+7
Flutterknight
SilentBelle
Masterweaver
Stairc -Dan Felder
LoganAura
Prof. Charles Hoofington
AlicornPriest
11 posters

Go down

To Equestria Daily? Empty To Equestria Daily?

Post  AlicornPriest Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:21 pm

So, has anyone considered sending this to Equestria Daily? They might be interested in sharing our work with the rest of the brony community. Get some more people working on it, too. Of course, we'll also get a bunch of idiots who don't know what they're doing, but that's a risk we may be willing to take. What does everypony think?
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

To Equestria Daily? Empty Re: To Equestria Daily?

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Well, we're on the mlp wiki, so i dont see anything wrong with informing EQD about the project. Just depends how much attention we are ready to recive.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

I've thought of it.
We should wait a bit for the game to be fleshed out a bit more before we send it.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Bcka? We're on MLP Wiki?

Wow. That's awesome.

A few people have asked me about sending our system to Equestria Daily, but I still want to go through more playtesting first. A lot of errata is coming out every few days and I still need a free day to sit down and develop the level-up system. After we have a level-up system in place and perhaps 20 official monsters, we can share with EQ daily.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Bcka? We're on MLP Wiki?

Wow. That's awesome.

A few people have asked me about sending our system to Equestria Daily, but I still want to go through more playtesting first. A lot of errata is coming out every few days and I still need a free day to sit down and develop the level-up system. After we have a level-up system in place and perhaps 20 official monsters, we can share with EQ daily.

That sounds like a good plan.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Why are we measuring by monsters....?
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Why are we measuring by monsters....?

Because I would like there to be enough material for interested DMs to run adventures without having to create their own monsters.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:59 pm

No, I mean, what about talents? FIM isn't really a violent series. There are monsters, true, but... not all campaigns need monsters.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Masterweaver wrote:No, I mean, what about talents? FIM isn't really a violent series. There are monsters, true, but... not all campaigns need monsters.

We are going to have the Talent Show expansion soon, and the Races of Equestria expansion too - but the system isn't complete until it has a leveling process and enough source materials to run combat too. Not all campaigns need level-up either, but we want to make sure we fill the bases.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Say, how many new faces do you think we'll see popping up on here when it gets sent into EqD? I'm expecting to see a jump of 50 registered users in one day. Bets any one? Very Happy
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Flutterknight Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:09 am

SilentBelle wrote:Say, how many new faces do you think we'll see popping up on here when it gets sent into EqD? I'm expecting to see a jump of 50 registered users in one day. Bets any one? Very Happy

I'd say that's a safe bet, though the REAL bet would be in how many of those actually stick around and become active members of the community.
Flutterknight
Flutterknight
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:36 am

Flutterknight wrote:
SilentBelle wrote:Say, how many new faces do you think we'll see popping up on here when it gets sent into EqD? I'm expecting to see a jump of 50 registered users in one day. Bets any one? Very Happy

I'd say that's a safe bet, though the REAL bet would be in how many of those actually stick around and become active members of the community.

I'd guess 10, ±2
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm assuming the conditions for posting on Equestria Daily also apply to having a page on Tvtropes?
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:16 am

Cardbo wrote:I'm assuming the conditions for posting on Equestria Daily also apply to having a page on Tvtropes?

Meh, I'm less worried about that if you have to search for it to find it. TV Tropes is fine whenever.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 am

Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Well guys, the Level-Up system is ready. Do you think we're ready for Equestria Daily?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Hmmm...not quite, I'd say.

As I mentioned someplace else, the traits and boons and destinies (basically all the level-up features) feel a little bare-bones at the moment. I would personally wait until some more of those could be added in, and maybe some more example monsters in the PH book.

And even if you disagree with both of those (which, of course, is fine), I have to say that something that needs to be done with the forums: we need to look into upgrading the servers before we post this, otherwise they will crash. Repeatedly. In addition, I'm not sure if the community is ready for the oncoming storm that will be the new people; I have seen both regular forumites and moderators alike make note of the fact that they consider 15-page topics to be "huge" and "a chore to wade through", and although I use quotes I am actually paraphrasing. But the great majority of communities out there, including this one once the forum is posted to Equestria Daily, are going to have several-dozen-page-long topics with no sign of slowing down and tons of new ideas, people who are smart, people who are stupid, people who bend the rules...I also believe we need more moderators and admins, or else it's going to be impossible to, well, moderate everything.

And if I'm off-base and only the rulebook, not the link to the forums themselves, will be submitted, I have to say that seems a little counterintuitive to the system that we're trying to build. But maybe that's just me.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Are we really sure that traffic will kick up that much? Seems a little wild.

As for the 15 page topics, probably should mention something about that. Because none of them actually have to be read at all. This is all development space, only I really need to make an effort to read everything. No one else has to, and often doing so is useless. No one needs to go through all the previous versions of Teleport, they just need to read the final one in the upcoming utility expansion. How would be a good way to get that message out?

And yes, I'm fine with adding some more things to the traits, boons and destinies.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Estimates for August don't exist, but as of July 20th the total unique views was around 70,622. We shall assume, with the lack of pony episodes lately, the number has dropped further, down to 49,500 a day or so.

1% of that is 495 people. If we assume that 1% of the people who check into EqD will check out your forums, that shouldn't be a problem. You're right, I was being all worried for nothing.

...but I have to admit, I don't exactly know what the servers are capable of taking. Everything seems to be in order but..I dunno. The only other real problem that you haven't (calmly and reasonably) addressed is the fact that it's very easy as-is for new ideas looking for critique to get buried quickly if they're posted in certain places. How much easier would it be with 120 (about a quarter of the people who check in) more dudes and dudines than we had before flying around?

But I guess I'm just being a worrywart. Go ahead, send in the clowns, I say without realizing the implications of what I have just said. Let 'er rip! Can't be nearly as bad as I first imagined it in my worst-case scenario head.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:55 pm

I'd like to polish things a bit more before sending to EQ daily. But as for getting new ideas lost, I recommend starting a new thread specifically for your trait ideas if you have some specific ones. That helps a lot.

For example, instead of posting in the combat traits main thread post a new thread called, "AProcrastingatingWriter's trait ideas" or something.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I'd like to polish things a bit more before sending to EQ daily. But as for getting new ideas lost, I recommend starting a new thread specifically for your trait ideas if you have some specific ones. That helps a lot.

For example, instead of posting in the combat traits main thread post a new thread called, "AProcrastingatingWriter's trait ideas" or something.

Yeah, we've been doing that with destinies, and I think it's working out so far. As for EqD? I think we should get some 'official' monster stats out. Those will come in handy, especially with anyone who has never played DnD or other tabletop games and want to give this one a swing. It might also help some people who are coming up with there own monsters to use as a reference point.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:17 pm

SilentBelle wrote: Yeah, we've been doing that with destinies, and I think it's working out so far. As for EqD? I think we should get some 'official' monster stats out. Those will come in handy, especially with anyone who has never played DnD or other tabletop games and want to give this one a swing. It might also help some people who are coming up with there own monsters to use as a reference point.

Yeah. Yeah, that makes sense. That's a good idea.

Also, I don't think I did, but I can't always tell, so if I came across as angry or overly passionate or confrontational in my advice in this topic, I'd like to formally apologize.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cainx13 Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote: send in the clowns, I say without realizing the implications of what I have just said.
*honk honk* Party time! Everyone into the clown-mobile! jocolor
Cainx13
Cainx13
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum