Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fallout Equestria

3 posters

Go down

Fallout Equestria Empty Fallout Equestria

Post  Lapis-Lazily Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:09 am

So, I'd like to run a Fallout Equestria Campaign, but there are some rules things I'm not quite set on, so I figured I'd post what I've thought of so far. A number of ideas were taken from this thread from way back when I was on in the early days of the forums. A lot of things went unsolved in this long dead thread, but I really want to figure out how to work this so I can run this campaign already. At the same time, once this stuff is worked out, I'd like to be able to point my players to this thread rather than explain it again, so I'm going to try to explain things in a way that someone who hasn't read the fic can understand and provide background. If you plan to read the fic, spoilers follow. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

What I have so far:

A bit of background: (prepare for brief summary of plot elements)
In the world of Fallout Equestria, henceforth abbreviated FOE, relationships between the Zebra Nation and Equestria began to sour due to resource scarcity, differences in culture, and many misunderstandings. As conflict was becoming inevitable, Celestia stepped down, leaving Luna as sole princess of Equestria. To help ease the burden of singular rule, Luna appointed each of the mane 6 to be head of a ministry, or section of the government designed to facilitate certain tasks. As the war raged on, many magical technologies were developed, but none as devastating as the megaspell. While magaspells were actually just a way to boost any unicorn magic, they were inevitably used to create super powered magic bombs on both sides. Afterward, it was only inevitable that they would one day be launched and destroy the world as it was known. Thus, Stabletech was created and began producing Stables all across Equestria. Stables are massive nuclear shelters designed to protect small populations for years. Many also included experiments, most of which went horribly wrong. When the megaspells were launched, many ponies survived the apocalypse in these stables, only to either dies as a result of the often cruel experiments, or emerge out into a magically radiated wasteland of death and destruction. Cue players. Oh, also the currency of this world is bottle caps, which is weird but has reasons I don't care to go into.

Radiation
What's a post apocalyptic wasteland without a little ambient radiation? Radiation is tracked on a 0 to 1000 scale measured in Rads. Getting radiation can happen in many ways. Certain areas in the wasteland have strong ambient radiation that will cause creatures to absorb radiation for spending time there. There also exists slight radiation in most sources of food and water. Some weapons may give off radiation as well. There are also some creatures that have absorbed enough radiation to spread it to others. The only ways to get rid of radiation are a medicine known as Rad-Away, which removes a certain amount of radiation, or having a doctor perform a rad removal operation. Removing radiation without equipment or rad-away is nearly impossible and requires an exceptional DC. Negative effects will occur at certain levels of radiation.
200 Rads: -1 to all skills
400 Rads: -2 to all skills
600 Rads: -3 to all skills, -5 max health in battle
800 Rads: -5 to all skills, -10 max health in battle
1000 Rads: Death or Ghoulification, depending on circumstances and other effects

Taint
Taint is a mysterious toxic substance present in the wastelands of Equestria. Unlike radiation, there is no way to reliably track or remove taint from one's body. Over-exposure to taint can lead to sickness, horrible mutations, or death. It is to be avoided at all costs.

Races
Most races have no significant changes for FOE, however, there are a few where I'd like to put stuff regarding flavor in the setting and a few race options unique to the setting.
Pegasi:
Griffons:
Unity Alicorns:
Ghouls:

Talent and Skill Changes
Instant Party is replaced by:
Survival Plan - 1/Day
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
You and the party create a standard plan of survival for the day. Each player who helps plan gains a +1 morale bonus to all skill checks for the rest of the day and may roll a d20. If the result is a natural 20, that player gains a Magic Point.
This is due to food and water being scarce in the wasteland, thus making the ability to practically conjure them ill-fitting in this setting, thus it is removed from the talent while leaving the important part.

While technically not vital to the setting, I will be outlawing the current iteration of Magecraft when I run this campaign, as I feel it is a detriment to the atmosphere of survival and helplessness in a post-apocalyptic world. However, this will not make Arcana useless, as it is gaining a new use in this setting. Arcana skill will now dictate how well characters can use and hack magical computers present in the wasteland.

Heal skill now affects how well you can use items like Rad-Away and Stim-Packs, if I include Stim-Packs, thereby making them more effective the better you roll on your heal check.

Things To Work On

Weapons and Ammunition
Weapons and Ammo are core to the world of Fallout Equestria, but I am unsure how to implement them for the purposes of this campaign. I have considered building several pre-built combat set-ups to represent weapons, but that takes a lot of the fun out of combat and doesn't solve the issue of how melee weapons and non-weapon builds work. The other issue is whether or not to implement weapon health and degradation. On one hand, it helps the atmosphere of a wasteland full of old, breaking tech to have weapons fall apart, but it's so obnoxious to track and doesn't add much fun to the experience. Ammo is also questionable as to its inclusion.

Healing
I am not sure whether or not I should require Stim-Packs and medical supplies for all healing, thereby making it very hard to do reliably and bring in more of that wasteland survival feeling. It makes sense in context of the game, but could be very annoying and not very fun.

Other Wasteland Races
There are several other races in the wasteland, such as Hellhounds and Canterlot Ghouls, that I am either unsure how to implement or am not sure if I should allow to be played. Imporvements may also be necessary to current racial set-ups.

Anything People Bring Up That I Hadn't Thought About
Self-explanatory
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Fallout Equestria Empty Re: Fallout Equestria

Post  Pingcode Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:27 am

I'm not terribly fond of the FO:E setting, but here's a quick draft of an idea for weapons and ammo.

Weapons:
Fallout: Equestria characters are much more weapons reliant than their counterparts in other settings, and all 'attack' combat talents possessed by a FO:E character will fall under one of the following categories:

Unarmed: These attacks are point blank, unarmed combat talents. Unlike Fallout, this heading also includes short melee weapons like knives in addition to martial arts and hand to hand weapons like power fists. The lack of any bulky weaponry to draw or handle allows unarmed combatants to react more quickly in combat, but the short engagement range leaves them at a disadvantage to opponents better

Unarmed talents provide a +1 Initiative Bonus per talent when brought into combat, but you suffer +1 vulnerability for every 2 unarmed talents brought into combat, rounding down.

Melee: Tribal spear, police baton, sledgehammer - melee weapons are the weapon of choice for the super mutant and punk raider alike. While a gun or explosive may have just as dramatic effects, there's a certain brutality to a good melee weapon that they just don't often match.

Melee talents benefit from a +2 damage bonus, but reduce initiative by 1 for each Melee talent brought into combat, due to their bulk. Gaining access to a Melee talent mid combat causes you to suffer Vulnerability 2 (save ends) as you leave yourself vulnerable drawing your weapon or re-positioning yourself for more techniques.

Ranged: Pistols! Lasers! Miniguns! Sniper Rifles! The odd Throwing Spear! Ranged is the catch-all category for ammunition-consuming ranged weapons of all shapes and sizes. Compared to other categories, ranged weapons are better able to open a fight strongly, but ammunition always remains a concern for gun users.

All characters have an Ammunition pool of 3 + 1 per Ranged talent possessed. In every combat where a Ranged talent was used by the character, they consume at least one unit of ammunition. In addition, characters with Ranged talents may expend ammunition units as though they were pips to pay for their activation costs. (Note that combined with the previous rule, a character may expend one ammunition unit per combat on a Ranged talent without penalty). Characters with an exhausted (0) Ammunition pool may not activate Ranged talents. Ammunition may be transferred between willing characters outside of combat.

Explosives: Cool ponies don't look at explosions. Explosives are the most powerful and brutal combat talents, but their effects are invariably limited by the bulk of ammunition and the sheer scarcity of explosives. A grenadier should be careful when and where they use their limited supply of explosives, lest they be left without any weapons.

All characters have an Explosives pool of 0 + 1 per Explosives talent possessed. Explosives talents deal 5 damage to the target and creatures adjacent to the target in addition to their normal effects. However, in addition to the normal pip cost for activating an Explosives talent, one Explosives unit must be expended. Characters with an exhausted (0) Explosives pool may not use explosives talents. Explosives may be transferred between willing characters outside of combat.

---

Plus some Traits that tie into these new systems:

Quick Draw: You're lightning fast on the draw. Gain a +5 to saves against the vulnerability caused by gaining access to a Melee talent mid-combat.

Recyclable Ammunition: Your weapon is a recharger rifle, or throwing spear, or for some other reason has a renewable ammo source. Select one of your Ranged talents. You no longer need to expend ammunition units after using it in combat if you would not otherwise need to. You may take this trait multiple times, each time choosing a different Ranged talent.

Bottomless Magazines: You know always to carry an extra magazine. Or ten. Double the maximum size of your ammunition pool.

Powder Monkey: Your friends can always count on you to bring the party favours. Double the maximum size of your explosives pool.

One Bullet Left: There's a certain magic to your last bullet. When using a Ranged talent, you may declare the attack to be your last bullet. As a result the attack deals twice as much damage as normal, but you immediately expend all remaining ammunition units.

Hail of Lead: Or lasers. Or plasma. Either way they're going to want to keep their heads down. When using a Ranged talent, you may expend 1 additional ammunition unit to have that attack also inflict Vulnerability 2 on one of the targets of the attack until the end of your next turn. More ammunition may be expended to inflict this condition on more targets.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Hayatecooper made something akin to a handbook/module for Fallout: Equestria. Has a bunch of stuff that was already mentioned, and some more.

Link to thread

Handbook
Weapons & Armor
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down