Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Building Challenge - Paper Shadow Wins!

+5
Zarhon
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
LoganAura
Stairc -Dan Felder
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Character Building Challenge - Paper Shadow Wins! - Page 2 Empty Re: Character Building Challenge - Paper Shadow Wins!

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:51 am

Maybe we'll do another one then. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Character Building Challenge - Paper Shadow Wins! - Page 2 Empty Re: Character Building Challenge - Paper Shadow Wins!

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:26 pm

So, err...

Which one did you go with and how horribly did the character die?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 pm

I actually got booked for another adventure tonight, so I used last night to try out a build of my own and tonight I'm going with...

The Minion Master! Congrats Paper-Shadow. Just going to tweak it slightly, adding the Lightning-something free action talent that gives you +7 initiative - in order to make sure I trigger Energizing Amulet every turn of the game (including my first) and adding Consume Spirit as one of the build's traits - so it can instant-explode its bone mites for lots of free pips.

The build I ran last night didn't exactly die horrible. In fact, it dealt effectively infinite damage, gained effectively infinite pips and just kept going and going and going all on its first turn of the battle. We eventually just decided it wasn't stopping any time soon and we should just rule that it exploded the god-like big bad and then debated whether we should use the build to go win the Dawn War (the war between the gods).

I'll go over how it happened later. Hint: Nerfs shall be coming to the King of Fools trait.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 pm

As someone who heard what happened... I still don't think it's King of Fools that needs a nerf... But Fool Me Twice needs the edits.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:45 pm

It might be both. The thing is, I didn't even get a chance to use Fool Me Twice - someone else used Inspiring Tune to let me reroll on my very first turn - so Fool Me Twice was effectively a blank trait for this effectively-infinite combo on that turn. It was all King of Fools, Crushing Blow, his Inspiring Tune and the Be Prepared special. And Critfisher to set things off, but that was only the tinder. The blaze that kept things triggering was King of Fools.

We love the build, it's very cool and fun, but obviously insanely too powerful right now. Effectively infinite damage, healing, pips and more is beyond broken. Effectively infinite anything is broken, but all those things at once? Ridiculous.

We want to bring the build down to fair levels with the smallest, most surgical changes possible. King of Fools was the prime culprit here, so that'll be getting changed to no longer trigger specials or require some cost to do so. Changes might come to all "roll twice" powers too, but hopefully it won't come to that. Might though, this was ridiculous.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Okay! Tried out Paper-Shadow's build with a few slight modifications (used Consume Spirit to devour bone-mites and kill my conjurations that trigger cool things when they die) and it was fantastic. Great job Paper Shadow! Made me really like using Conjurations... I'll have to design more for the system now. Great job inspiring me. =)

We have our winner!
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 am

Well good thing I have these party horns then...

*Phhtp*
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2