Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea Ponies!

4 posters

Go down

Sea Ponies! Empty Sea Ponies!

Post  Dr Blight Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:41 am

Sea Ponies have long been considered a myth, the mad imagination of half-drowned ponies and seasick sailors. However, deep in the depths of the Mareianis Trench lies the truth. The lost city of Atlantis, home of the Sea Ponies!! The Sea Ponies spend their days among the waves, eating kelp, singing the song of their people, and maybe sometimes doing everything they can to convince some poor seasick sailor leaning over the side of the deck and his shipmates that he's gone insane.

Seaponies gain no cutie mark, instead they find their focus. An event where some topic or calling so enthralls their naturally inquisitive little minds that they feel compelled to learn anything and everything about it.

Old sea stories claim that the sea ponies, with their weird sea pony magic, rise from the waves disguised as regular folk. Coming into settlements with none being the wiser. To love, and play, and dance the day away! And then as the sun sets, they return to the sea leaving nothing but a laugh and a song on the winds.

Shoo be doo!

racial traits:

Got a little carried away there didn't I? I picked a lot of the traits for Sea Ponies based on mermaid stories, in particular the Little Mermaid being the inspiration for the Cultural Knowledge and Alter Ego traits. There are also some actual legends of mermaids pretending to be human women.

Clever Tail comes from what I imagine the sea ponies look like. I personally base them on Sea Pony Lyra by JohnJoseco visually. Meaning they have short fins and a very long tail. Considering that, I felt it'd be fitting that though they could use the fins as 'hands' to an extent they'd be much more adept at using their tails to manipulate things.

The last trait, Aquatic Equine was chosen because I really wanted it to come across that the Sea Ponies are aquatic creatures more at home at sea than on land or in the air and that underwater is where they're at their best. Rather than penalizing them on land, I felt it would be better to give them a boon in the water so I modded One with the Waves.

Sea Pony Lyra by JohnJoseco:

So what do you think? Good? Bad? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Dr Blight on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Sea Ponies! Empty Re: Sea Ponies!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 am

They ought to have Pack Mentality. I've watched some of the older shows, and if anything EVER deserved a +4 Assistance, it would be Sea Ponies. They've EARNED it in my book.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:26 pm

That is a good point. I suppose this is another possible build for it but it feels like it doesn't get across the "being a sea creature" thing quite as well. It does feature only official genetic engineering traits though...

racial traits build 2:
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue May 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Been watching a lot of G1 recently and to really get them right, it seems like they really need new or modified racial traits.

RACIAL TRAITS:

Aquatic Adaptation feels like a more complete way of portraying them as a sea creature since they are really good in the water but may die on land. Plus, they simply lack legs. There's various ways to boost stats globally and arguably someone who wants to play a Sea Pony would probably expect to encounter this.

Shoo Be Doo = Call Out. Simple enough way to represent their iconic cry.

Call Upon the Sea Ponies is a modified Rainbow Dash to Your Side that expands what it can be used for but limits the uses.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 pm

What about merponies?

Spoiler:

Merponies would have hooves, as well as their tail, and can also be unicorns (mericorn?) or pegasi, depending on parentage (typically a product of an earth pony/unicorn/pegasus and a sea pony, for back story purposes?). They would also have cutie marks, in my opinion, though that could also be determined by which parent is the non-sea pony or something (like they would have a cutie mark because their mother had one or something). They would usually live in places with air pockets because they can't breathe water like the sea ponies can, though because this is not common sea pony knowledge, a good number of them drown as foals, making them a notable occurrence in sea pony society. When they dry out, they lose their swimming tail and gain legs and a normal pony tail, so they can be indistinguishable from ordinary ponies. If they get wet in pony form, they turn back into a merpony.

If anybody sees something wrong with this, or has any ideas for how this can be improved, please tell!
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Despite being an interesting lore quirk, it would probably be overly restrictive to not have them breathe underwater.  If you still wanted to go that route, it might be better to use a different option that's already in the system.

Temp swimming...:

This would give a temporary super swim that would have to be deactivated to do other things.  Breathing underwater during that time period could be role played as simply holding their breath.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 am

I see where you're coming from.

However, since merponies aren't actually a cannon race (as far as I know), players who choose to play one can easily tweak it to fit what they think should be a merpony. My post about them is merely what I think personally they should be like. Because the merpony is a cross-breed between sea pony and normal pony, in my head they have some, but not all, abilities of both. The non-sea pony genetics would dilute the ability to breathe under water, though it would still be present. A merpony would have great advantages in an environment like a marsh, but would encounter problems on land if they got rained on.

If you're interested in making a merpony that has One with the Waves (1) You can breathe underwater, then feel free. Heck, if you just want to make sea pony with hooves, keep all the abilities the same and call it a merpony, I doubt anyone would complain much.

Whenever I make a character, I'm if nothing else if not prone to feeling like I'm somehow making it overpowered, so I'm probably setting myself up for a severely under-powered character. At least it will be interesting, right?tongue
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down