Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tons of Fun....?

+12
Appkes
XandZero2
MirrorImage
Stairc -Dan Felder
Flutterknight
Zarhon
Tren
Lapis-Lazily
Level 8 Mudcrab
The Warrior of Many Faces
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Masterweaver
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tons of Fun....? - Page 2 Empty Re: Tons of Fun....?

Post  Masterweaver Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 pm

THE FINALIZED LIST.

1. A cart laden with useful goods falls out of the sky
2. Its somebody's birthday! Throw a party!
3. You and up to 5 other characters of your choice can move to any location within line of sight- even if there is no possible way to reach it (like on a cloud!)
4. Whoops! You broke! You gain the Screwy effect immediately. Or if you're not playing with a sanity meter, you intimidate some NPC into following your orders for the next 8 IC hours.
5. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! For no reason whatsoever everypony in your party gets double speed for the next ten minutes!
6. Gutten tag! Today is talk in funny languages day! Jah furer has granted you an instant critical success on your next knowledge check.
7. Everypony within a 50-foot radius is covered in cake batter.
8. A cute little kitty cat appears... and scratches the first pony to try to pet it.
9. A frog plops onto the head of the first person to speak after activation.
10. The triggerer can only say the word "muffin" for five minutes.
11. The first pony the triggerer sees must refer to themselves in the third person with grandiose titles for five minutes.
12. Triggerer must skip everywhere they go for five minutes.
13. The first pony to speak treats their next roll as if they rolled a 13.
14. Triggerer chooses a target; the target is given a pink party hat.
15. Triggerer chooses a target; the target trips and falls.
16. Roll twice and apply both effects.
17. Your character's coat randomly swaps to a different color (Roll for it) for the next 24 hours.
18. The weather in a 100 ft radius from the character changes to chocolate milk rain.
19. Use the utility talent Pyrotechnics with no preparation time.
20. You remember that you have an emergency supply of a small, hoofheld object nearby and claim it.
21. You disappear, only to reappear in a pirate outfit on a miniature pirate ship. Regardless of whether or not there is any water present.
22. You drop a bag of flour over your head. It is so funny that everyone who sees it must laugh for the next 1d6 minutes. You don't have to, but feel free to join in.
23. Crazy gizmo- a crazy gizmo appears out of thin air. Not even you are sure what it does, but boy, does it look fun!
24. Taffy sale at Sugercube corner. Go buy some now!
25. Opposite day!
26. You teach a llama to drive.
27. Cupcakes for everypony!
28. One person or object is banished to the moon for 1d4 hours. It returns unharmed, but bewildered.
29. Point at someone and shout "You're one of them!". For all you know, they are.
30. Your future self appears to give you some useless advice.
31. The area you are in becomes a ball pit. where do the balls come from? Your emergency ball supply, of course!
32: You're bringing sexy back! 1d8 NPCs in the area fall for your good looks and smooth moves.
33: The Plot Device was filed under P! For whatever reason you manage to advance the campaign plot.
34: OH GOD WITH THE SCREAMS AND THE TENTACLES! You traumatize your allies, they suffer -3 to all rolls for 8 hours.
35. Confetti. Confetti everywhere. SO MUCH CONFETTI!
36. Yell "Wubba Wubba" and switch places with a random creature
37. Break out into a musical number for the pleasure of your audience.
38. Acquire a portable plot-hole, usable to do away with the necessity to explain one major plot point.
39. You find a group of dogs playing poker.
40. The nearest rock explodes, and then explodes again.
41. The nearest rock grows legs and sentience, joining you on your quest. Nickname of "Tom" optional.
42. It's the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Ask the DM one question: he must answer you truthfully. The rest of the party is not to hear this answer.
43. A large blue box falls out of the sky, vanishing almost immediately after with an odd grinding sound.
44. You start whistling/singing/humming/playing a musical instrument, and find that your musical efforts have attracted 1d10 Parasprites that will follow you around.
45. You fall asleep for 1d20 minutes.
46. You take a ninja suit from Hammerspace and put it on; +10 to all Stealth checks for the next hour.
47. The next piece of writing you see has been changed to "I prepared Explosive Runes today." Naturally, the writing explodes (harmlessly) immediately after having been read.
48. You become covered in oatmeal.
49. You don metaphorical Shipping Goggles and start attempting to matchmake everypony in sight with somepony else (yourself not included).
50. You get a nifty little map that will tell you where you need to be going once; it vanishes after that.
51. A pair of traveling salesponies show up unexpectedly and sells you a useless trinket. Lose 1d20 bits. Gain a useless trinket.
52. You encounter a skateboarding dinosaur. He can be your friend and a whole lot more!
53. Everyone in the party randomly switches their personalities around, Freaky Friday style! Lasts for 10 minutes. (whether this means that you have to continue using the same character but with someone else's personality or you have to play as different character for the duration can be up to debate).
54. You encounter a seal, regardless of how far away you are from freshwater.
55. A wild west dance breaks out!
56. A mild west dance breaks out.
57. You encounter the TARDIS.
58. Tumbleweed rolls past the next person to speak.
59: NYAN CAT! For every three irl minutes you sing the Nyan Cat tune, you gain a magic point. Breaking even for a second ends this. Maximum of five magic points.
60: You're a little too flexible. You remain immobile until you can successfully perform a DC 30 acrobatics check.
61: Mix and match! Use another Element of Harmony for free!
62: Looks like the dice.... just got rolled. Acquire sunglasses and shout YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
63: What in the world can that be?! Everybody in the area rolls a DC 25 perception check. If they fail they end up as the opposite gender for 1d4 days.
64: BROOKLYN RAAAAAAGE! You gain +3 damage on all non-bloodied enemies for the next 24 IC hours.
65: Gentlemares: Produce a plot-important corpse. You cannot speak for the next five minutes.
66: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate! Reveal that you are biologically related to 1d4 of your allies.
67: BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED! All allies get to use one utility talent instantly.
68: My god, it's full of stars! You start off on a philosophical tangent.
69. Everybody wins! The next roll each player makes is an automatic critical success.
70: BANANA PEEL! You lose 3 Precision until you use Laughter again.
71: Confetti Cold. You lose 3 Athletics until you use Laughter again.
72: Banged your head. You lose 3 Horse Sense until you use Laughter again.
73: Misedulamacated. You lose 3 Knowledge until you use Laughter again.
74: Potty break! You locate the nearest outhouse.
75: Drinking buddies. Talk about that one time, you know, with that one other player character, ha, now there's a story...
76: STRIKE! The next time you're in combat, instantly stun all your opponents.
77: Put a lime in a coconut, shake it all up. Then eat the result. You permanently gain +1 on any checks involving songs or music of any sort.
78. Maid outfits for everyone! Especially the stallions of the group.
79. One random ally turns out to be a robot.
80. One random ally turns out to be a werewolf.
81. One random ally turns out to be a fruitcake.
82. Ninjas kick down the door.
83: PANTS. You are now wearing pants.
84: In the name of the moon, you gain a sailor fuku and start a friendship lecture!
85: Non sequiter. Target ally is confused.
86: DOORWAAAAY! You reveal a previously undetected door.
87: Retcon: Switch one of your utility talents out for another talent in the same category. I.E. replace an everypony talent with an everypony talent, or a pegasus talent with a pegasus talent.
88: Lose your marbles. Everypony spends 1d10 minutes searching for them.
89: Caster and target both get a large fish and engage in a isolated samurai duel with it. Loser of duel is KO'd.
90: Pinkie Pie appears and narrates the fight. She throws a party for the winners of the fight afterwards (unless they're complete meanie pants).
91: Pinkie Pie emerges out of nowhere to yell "FOREVER!", at some point within the next 10 minutes.
92: A walrus joins the party. Nobody but the caster finds anything mysterious or odd about this, and act like it's been in the party for a long time. This lasts for 24 hours.
93: Sonic rainboom occurs nearby, causing a shockwave and everyone's manes to go poofy.
94: Rainbow Dash flies past, causing all female characters to run after in pursuit, regardless of race, alignment or orientation.
95: Fluttershy throws a bear onto a the next person that acts like a jerk to the party. She drags both of them away, apologizing profusely.
96: Everypony suddenly gets socks.
97: Nearby ponies switch their diets: Carnivores become herbivores, gem eaters eat regular food, etc... Omnivores remain the same.
98: Everypony gets a sudden craving for something related to their cutie mark (e.g. a gemcutter suddenly wants to eat gems).
99: Time is tampered with. You are transported 10 minutes into the future, and must reenact your actions backwards through time, until you reach the time you cast the spell, restoring the paradox and letting you act normally again. You then do everything again forwards.
100: Pinkie Pie appears and [REDACTED]. All witnesses now have permanent phobia of: The color pink, oatmeal, cupcakes, chimichangas, pony plushies, tiaras, rubber chickens and cake batter. You all agree never to speak of the event again.

NOW...

WE NEED AN IMAGE OF PINKIE PIE FOR EVERY ITEM ON THAT LIST.

Last edited by Masterweaver on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Masterweaver wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:77: Put a lime in a coconut, shake it all up. Then eat the result. You permanently gain +1 on any checks involving songs or music of any sort.

Permanently? A bit powerful, don't you think?

My thoughts were a) how often do those sorts of checks come up anyway and b) it's only a .01 chance of happening anyway.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 pm

I was serious about the picture thing, by the way. A hundred pictures of Pinkie Pie, 512 by 512 pixels each, one for every option.

LET'S DO THIS.

I don't have vector art so I can't do anything.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:57 pm

100 ... Images.... Of Pinkie?
Are you crazy?

WE MUST DO THIS.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I'd love to take the challenge, if it weren't for the fact that my artistic abilities rank only slightly higher than that of a goldfish. XP
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Prof. Charles Hoofington wrote:Are you crazy?

I am indeed insane.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Flutterknight Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 am

Masterweaver wrote:I was serious about the picture thing, by the way. A hundred pictures of Pinkie Pie, 512 by 512 pixels each, one for every option.

LET'S DO THIS.

I don't have vector art so I can't do anything.

Hmm...I suppose it *might* possibly be time to fill out my Ministry of Silly Pinks (http://flutterknight.deviantart.com/gallery/35598842) a bit more like I intended before I realized I could actually draw...
Flutterknight
Flutterknight
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks to Flutternight, we already have NUMBER 35!

Tons of Fun....? - Page 2 X8ijT
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm

I love the of an art gallery of the Tons of Fun effects... But I'm not sure that this list IS finalized yet. *laughs*

We can probably improve on it. We should definitely try to go over it a few times if we're asking for art. Especially when there's so much campaign art that could be made.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  MirrorImage Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Well, "the DM is encouraged to make their own Tons of Fun table" - why not just leave this topic as a collection of ideas? Honestly, though, I think a d100 is a little large, unless you're going to have effects across ranges ("1-5 : Player becomes a chicken;" etc). The option of a d20 might be better.
MirrorImage
MirrorImage
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:54 pm

MirrorImage wrote:Well, "the DM is encouraged to make their own Tons of Fun table" - why not just leave this topic as a collection of ideas? Honestly, though, I think a d100 is a little large, unless you're going to have effects across ranges ("1-5 : Player becomes a chicken;" etc). The option of a d20 might be better.

You can definitely have ranges as a DM, but the sheer randomness and collection of cool effects embeded in 100 different options is very, very fun.

And I definitely like the concept of this being a collection of great ideas.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:31 am

You are all insane as far as I'm concerned - but this was a very entertaining read.

Now, I don't want to rain chocolate milk on anypony's parade, but something I didn't like about the table:

It's supposed to use a magic point (which is supposed to be really good, right?) yet some of the effects are detrimental to the user? I can see some of the effects being useless, but if they have a chance of actually hurting the user, then that'll detract from the fun.

I'd recommend rethinking the numbers that give players penalties. That's my serious take on a not-so-serious table (;

Edit: I just went over the table again, and I'd recommend changing 34, 45, 51, 60, 70-73, and 85 to either effect an enemy or do something else.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:17 pm

XandZero2 wrote:
Now, I don't want to rain chocolate milk on anypony's parade, but something I didn't like about the table:

No raining necessary, that's what the forum is for. And making Tons of Fun tables (or Rod of Wonder tables) well takes a lot of time and fine-tuning... And it's great at the end result. I know I spent days on my own Tons of Fun table.

XandZero2 wrote:It's supposed to use a magic point (which is supposed to be really good, right?) yet some of the effects are detrimental to the user? I can see some of the effects being useless, but if they have a chance of actually hurting the user, then that'll detract from the fun.

Yes and no. The unpredictable nature, and the chance of backfiring, of the Tons of Fun table is the core of its unique nature. The fact it can backfire also helps regulate the usage, so players tend only to pull it out as a last-ditch measure when they have little to lose... And helps balance the over-the-top-cool effects you want to sprinkle into the table as well.

A good ratio is 50% positive effect for caster (or negative for the target of the Tons of Fun ability), 20% negative effect for caster (or positive effect for the target of the Tons of Fun ability), 20% balanced effect for the caster and target (some crazy thing that affects everyone - whether good, bad or neither). Note, my Tons of Fun table IS designed to be point and click - meaning it's something you target a creature or object with that is causing you trouble. Other tables might focus on being better for pointing at an ally (50% positive for the target) and others might be mostly about positive effects for the party and not require targets. Just make sure players know how the ability is meant to be used. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 pm

WE STILL NEED PIIIIIIICTURES!!!!
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Masterweaver wrote:WE STILL NEED PIIIIIIICTURES!!!!

I don't know, I think a lot of these effects are going to change. If we're going to create that much art, I'd love to see it focusing on the major events of everyones' Pony Tales campaigns thus far.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Mastaa Weevaaaar!

Your D100 table is now D1,000!

Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:29 pm

101. A dalmatian appears and begins yapping non-stop for 1d6 minutes.
102. Pick a target. Said target suddenly feels as though they've been tricked.
103. Everypony dance now! Everyone within earshot begins dancing uncontrollably for 5 minutes.
104. It begins to rain 1" rubber bouncy balls, in a 100-yard radius (or the whole room if you are inside). DC 20 Acrobatics to not trip over them.
105. You are confronted by a Lepracorn. It answers one yes/no question, and then blows a raspberry at you and vanishes.
106. Just roll again Derpy. You may re-roll the next time you roll a natural 1, and only that time.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm

107 a swarm of bats appear scaring everyone
108 traget gives in to temptation
109 everyone must sing not speak
110 a comic change occurs roll back the rules
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 am

Masterweaver wrote: Gutten tag! Today is talk in funny languages day! Jah furer has granted you an instant critical success on your next knowledge check.

And what language, praytell, was that supposed to be. Because it sure as hell wasn't what you thought you were speaking.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 am

Je parlais francais!?!

111. Everyone within earshot must observe 11 seconds of silence.
112. Hey! Something's different in the world today! The next sign of any kind you see turns a neon yellow color. (Kudos to anyone who gets that reference.)
113. You suddenly sprout a biiiig pair of wings, old school Flutter Pony style. (See It's Almost Like Flying. Lasts 24 hours in-game.)
114. Choose a target. You switch Cutie Marks with target for 1d4 hours.
115. Can not brain today... You has the dumbs. You gain the "Derp" talent for the whole NEXT day.
116. Taste the Painbow! The next time you see a rainbow of any kind, your party gets ONE free use of Orbital Friendship Cannon, even if you don't ordinarily have it for usage. It must be used within 12 hours, or it goes to waste.
118. You pull a pirate outfit out of Hammerspace. You gain +10 to Acrobatics and Athletics checks, but -10 to Arcana and History checks as long as you wear it. You must speak with a pirate accent.
119. Gain a +5 on your next Stealth check by humming the Mission Impossible Theme.
120. Twelve is a magic number. Pick any one item in your possession that is not plot-relevant or magical. You now have twelve of that item.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm

You guys should work on one of these that works in non-realtime games/ games where the players can't hear or see each other. A lot of these effects would do nothing in PBPs.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:40 pm

I agree, as somebody who has taken some of this topic to inspire my own Tons of Fun table, guess it should have ideas that's work wondfully in both PBP and skype games.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2