Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Ol' Storm Of Chaos

+3
sunbeam
Jason Shadow
Antiquated
7 posters

Go down

Big Ol' Storm Of Chaos Empty Big Ol' Storm Of Chaos

Post  Antiquated Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Ok, the joke race 2/7th Draconequus has a racial ability called Big Ol' Storm Of Chaos. If you are unfamiliar, it is very similar to the laughter element, except the effects on this table are more mischievous, and when you activate it, you roll 3d100 and get three effects at once. I poked around and tried to find an effect table on here, but there didn't seem to be one. So, I made my own. I found a form for the Tons of Fun table, took a lot of those effects but made some of them a bit more mean-spirited, and then made up a bunch of new effects of my own. So I'm not taking credit for everything, a lot of the base ideas came from that form.

Ta-Daaaaa

Or, if you don't want to follow me into a mysterious G-doc, I'll put the full Copy-paste at the bottom. Also commenting is disabled, so if you have something to say, say it here ^_^

So, this is my idea for a Big Ol' Storm Of Chaos effect table, eat the meat, spit out the bones, yadda-yadda-yadda. Feel free to use it as is if you like, or tweak what you don't like. I think I did a pretty decent job, and I hope you guys find this useful. Have fun!

1. A cart laden with useful goods falls out of the sky, and then explodes when it is approached. Targets are knocked unconscious and take 1d20 damage.
2. It’s somepony’s birthday! An NPC demands half your money. Give it to them or fight them.
3. It starts raining chocolate milk, somehow everypony knows that the chocolate milk will turn into bits when the rain stops. One cup of chocolate milk becomes 100 bits.
4. You intimidate some NPC into following your orders for the next 8 IC hours.
5. The ground is ice covered in soap for the next 1d4 IC hours, all creatures must make athletics or acrobatics checks (DC 20) just to walk. A critical failure results in that member tripping and knocking themselves unconscious.
6. Target creature transforms into a balloon animal copy of themselves for 1d4 IC hours. Whatever they were doing before hand is forgotten in the midst of their transformation, and they are, naturally, terrified of pointy objects for the duration.
7. Everypony within a 50-hoof radius is covered in cake batter.
8. A cute little kitty cat appears... and scratches the first pony to try to pet it.
9. The first pony to speak after activation turns into a frog for 1d10 RL minutes.
10. The triggerer can only say the word "muffin" for five minutes.
11. Target ally must refer to themselves in the third pony with grandiose titles for five RL minutes.
12. Random allies legs, and if applicable, wings, disappear for five RL minutes. They must be carried.
13. The first pony to speak treats their next roll as if they rolled 1.
14. Triggerer chooses a target; the target is given a moustache.
15. Triggerer chooses a target; the target trips and falls.
16. Random party member is intangible for the next 1d8 game hours. They can not interact with any creature or object during that time, they can however hear and see what is going on around them, and may move through walls.
17. Your character's coat randomly swaps to a different color (Roll for it) for the next 24 hours.
18. Target creature, target starts screaming all of their secrets at the top of their lungs, distracting everypony around for the next 1d10 minutes.
19. Harmless fireworks start shooting out of the mouth of random creature for the next 1d20 game minutes. Closing their mouth makes them come out... other places.
20. You remember that you have an emergency supply of a small, hoof-held object nearby and claim it, only for it to have been replaced with a hornets nest.
21. A massive pirate ship appears to fall from the sky (hilarious panic ensues) but the closer it gets the smaller it gets, after it hits the ground, it is revealed to be be the size of a bath toy.
22. Pick a target, nothing changes about said creature, except that now everyone finds them hysterical to look at for the next IC hour.
23. A crazy gizmo appears out of thin air. Not even you are sure what it does, but colt, does it look fun, and everything within sight of it wants it. Treat the gizmo as though it were enchanted with the Want it Need it spell.l
24. Random party member changes gender until their next extended rest. They are convinced that they have always been this gender.
25. Target Creature becomes tiny, approximately 1/10th their normal size, for 1d6 hours.
26. You have a plunger for a tail for the next 1d12 IC hours. Have fun.
27. Cupcakes for everypony! Perception DC 35, you find a tooth in your cupcake.
28. One pony or object (DM’s choice what) is banished to the moon for 1d4 hours. It returns unharmed but bewildered.
29. Sompony points at you and shouts: "You’re one of them!". An angry mob forms and chases you out of town. If you return, everypony acts like nothing happened.
30. Pick a party member (can be triggerer) their future self appears, and gives them some useless advice, but it sounds urgent, and they are left with the impression that something very bad will happen if they don’t follow it.
31. The area you are in becomes a ball pit. where do the balls come from? Your emergency ball supply, of course!
32: You're bringing sexy back! 1d8 NPCs in the area fall for your good looks and smooth moves. They follow you around making cat-calls for the next 1d6 in game hours.
33: Forced Plot Device. For the next 2 RL hours, two random allies plots are stuck together and cannot be separated. Everything they do has to be done as a pair.
34: OH CELESTIA WITH THE SCREAMS AND THE TENTACLES! You traumatize your allies, they suffer -3 to all rolls for 8 IC hours.
35. Confetti. Confetti everywhere. SO MUCH CONFETTI!
36. One party member has been replaced by a changeling. Beat the changeling up and go rescue them.
37. Random party member can only communicate in the form of blowing raspberries for the rest of the session, but everyone understands them perfectly.
38. You fall down a well. Seriously, where did that come from?.
39. You find a group of dogs playing poker.
40. The nearest rock explodes and then explodes again.
41. The nearest rock grows legs and sentience, joining you on your quest. Nickname of "Tom," not optional. Random party member is deeply in love with Tom, though they are too afraid to admit their feelings, DC 25 endurance to overcome the love spell.
42. It's the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Ask the DM one yes or no question: he must answer you truthfully. The rest of the party is not to hear this answer.
43. A large blue box falls out of the sky, vanishing almost immediately after with an odd grinding sound.
44. Target creature is blind for the next 1d4 IC hours.
45. You fall asleep for 1d20 RL minutes.
46. You take a ninja suit from Hammerspace and put it on; +10 to all Stealth checks for the next RL hour.
47. The next piece of writing you see has been changed to "I prepared Explosive Runes today." Naturally, the writing explodes immediately(2d8 damage) after having been read. But strangely, the item the writing was on is fine.
48. Target creature becomes covered in oatmeal.
49. You grow wings and a horn, except the wings are on your forehead, and the horn is on your back. They stay there for 1d8 IC hours.
50. You get a nifty little map that will tell you where you need to be going only once; it vanishes after that.
51. Everyone learns dutch Griffon. It's very sad.
52. You are now wearing ice skates, and you can’t take them off for the next 1d4 IC days.
53. Everypony in the party randomly switches their personalities around Freaky Friday style! Lasts for 10 RL minutes. (Whether this means that you have to continue using the same character but with somepony else's personality or you have to play as different character for the duration is casters choice).
54. You encounter a seal, regardless of how far away you are from freshwater.
55. Gravity reverses for 1d100 minutes, for every creature within sight. I hope you’re indoors. If you aren’t, don’t worry, you only “fall” 20 feet before hitting an invisible barrier.
56. Every party member rolls a d6 and turns into the corresponding species for one IC day, or until the spell is broken. 1= Donkey, 2= Zebra, 3= Griffon, 4= Hipogriff, 5= Diamond Dog, 6= you don’t change.
57. For the rest of the session, you fall deeply in love with an inanimate object that is lying around, DM’s choice. Bonus points if the innuendos write themselves. If you do not own the object, you must purchase it.
58. A tumbleweed rolls into the next pony to speak. They become hopelessly tangled in it, athletics or acrobatics, DC 50.
59: You discover a sock-puppet lying on the ground, put it on, and become convinced that it is alive. The rest of the party finds it intolerable-ly annoying, and decides to assassinate it. There is no other way.
60: You catch the stupid. Only a DC 40 endurance check or a natural 20 can cure it. You may attempt the check once every IC hour.
61: Random ally catches the Cutie Pox. DC 35 heal or endurance check to cure them.
62: I Declare my Dodge on you! A random party member become convinced that, if you say “I Declare my Dodge on you!” as a free action, you get a bonus towards dodging that creatures attacks until your next turn. Nothing is able to convince you otherwise.
63: Half the party members change gender, the other half is convinced that nothing is wrong.
64: Target creature can not stop screaming. They are unable to do anything but scream until they pass out from lack of oxygen.
65: A random ally suddenly finds talking incredible exhausting for the next 1 hour in real time. Whenever they speak, they start to lose HP at a rate of 1 HP per word until they reach a minimum of 1 HP. Regular in-game actions that would affect HP normally can be applied to 'top up' this limit, but it will continue to drain as the character speaks.
66: Random ally must sing the piggy dance song to completion before he or she can do anything else.
67: BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED! All allies permanently gain one utility talent instantly. Can not be chosen via # 80.
68: My Celestia, it's full of stars! You start off on a philosophical tangent.
69. Everypony wins! The next roll each player makes is an automatic critical success.
70: BANANA PEEL! You lose 3 Precision until you use Laughter again.
71: Confetti Cold. You lose 3 Athletics until you use Laughter again.
72: Banged your head. You lose 3 Horse Sense until you use Laughter again.
73: Misedulamacated. You lose 3 Knowledge until you use Laughter again.
74: Potty break! You locate the nearest outhouse. Loudly describe your... emission in graphic detail while the entire party waits.
75: Two random allies can only communicate in rhyme for the next 1 hour of real time. Failure to speak in rhyme will result in confusion to whom they are speaking to.
76: You’re an Alicorn Princess! You grow a pair of purple wings and have basic flying for the next 1d20 IC hours. When that time is up, they pop off your body and fly into the sunset.
77: Target creature becomes incredibly narcissistic for the next 1d8 IC hours. If they see a mirror they must stop and admire their reflection for at least five IC minutes.
78. Maid outfits for everypony! Especially the stallions of the group.
79. It’s Raining Mares, Hallelujah. No, seriously, take cover; It’s raining mares. 1d8 damage for each mare you get hit by, Acrobatics DC 25 to dodge.
80. You get to choose any one of the other effects to unleash upon the world.
81. A phone starts ringing, perception DC 25 to find it. It’s your Grandma! She talks to you for the next 1d4 IC hours. Nothing you do or say will get her to hang up early.
82. Ninjas kick down the door.
83: PANTS. You are now wearing pants. If you are already wearing pants, you get double-pants-ed. Lyra would be so proud.
84: In the name of the moon, you gain a sailor fuku and start a friendship lecture!
85: BEES! Everywhere! Everything appears to your character to be covered in bees or made out of bees. Archana DC 30, to dispel the illusion.
86: DOORWAAAAY! You reveal a previously undetected door.
87: Retcon: Switch one of your utility talents out for another talent in the same category. I.E. replace an everypony talent with an everypony talent, or a pegasus talent with a pegasus talent.
88: Lose your marbles, and they are actively avoiding you. Everypony spends 1d10 minutes trying to catch them.
89: Gain a +5 on your next Stealth check by humming the Mission Impossible Theme..
90: Cannot brain today... You has the dumbs. You gain the "Derp" talent for the whole NEXT day.
91: All party members switch alignments for 1 hour real time. The good become evil, the evil become good. Chaotic and Lawful switch sides too. Neutrals? Well, they just go mad.
92: A walrus joins the party. Nopony but the caster finds anything mysterious or odd about this, and act like it's been in the party for a long time. This lasts for 24 hours.
93: It begins to rain 1" rubber bouncy balls, in a 100-yard radius (or the whole room if you are inside). DC 20 Acrobatics to not trip over them.
94: A swarm of bats appear engaging target creature in combat.
95: Target gives in to temptation (DM’s choice).
96: Just roll again Derpy. You may re-roll the next time you roll a natural 1, and only that time.
97: Just Because. Everyone in the party gets an extra magic point for that day.
98: Everypony gets a sudden craving for something related to their cutie mark (e.g. a gemcutter suddenly wants to eat gems). This lasts until you satisfy the craving.
99: Princess Luna joins the team! For the next 4 IC hours, the DM must join the game as Princess Luna. She cannot leave, but she can do anything else she wants, being Princess Luna, after all.
100: Discord appears and [REDACTED]. All witnesses now have permanent phobia of: (DM’s choice). You all agree never to speak of the event again.

Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/antiquatedannomaly

Back to top Go down

Big Ol' Storm Of Chaos Empty Re: Big Ol' Storm Of Chaos

Post  Jason Shadow Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Yessss... This pleases me.
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Glad you like it ^_^
Hopefully whoever next tries to build a 2/7th Drac will stumble across this and won't have to make their own.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:34 am

This may become my default Rod of Wonder table. It looks hilarious. The race change is my current favorite, but I haven't read them all.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:36 am

This might be a good table for that Crazy Laughter destiny.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:01 am

LoganAura wrote:This might be a good table for that Crazy Laughter destiny.

Not exactly - the destiny gives you "immunity" to the effects of your own laughter. Rolling something like 45 or 70-74, which are negative effects directed at the caster only, would do nothing, and waste it.

You'd need to apply the effect to someone other than the immune caster, re-roll, offer targeting, or simply affect everyone nearby/whole party.

Plus, I think the effects aren't quite powerful enough to be equivalent of a level 10 destiny ability, especially since a lot of them are negative and inconsequential - it would work for normal, sure, but not for the Maniacal Tons of Fun table. Probably needs to be "potential rail-breaking" stuff - something akin to "deck of many things", but at the same time, non-harmful to its caster only (since he's immune to such effects).

TLDR: For anyone toting a laughter destiny, should have options that don't affect just the caster negatively due to their immunity. For Maniacal Tons of Fun, needs stuff that makes DM's cringe and/or die laughing.

For instance!

Maniacal Tons of Fun
1: Entire party drops dead, and their bodies disintegrate into ash... For about 10 minutes. Afterwards, their bodies are restored on the same spot (or a spot of their choosing within 100 feet), and they're revived, feeling better than before (healing diseases, curses, and other malignant, ill effects). Their only memory of the event involves a skeletal grim reaper, riding a bouncy pink pony.
2: Zombies! A horde of 100+1d1000 zombies suddenly surround the area, attempting to devour any brains and flesh nearby. They are frail (1hp), slow, and dumb, and can infect others with their plague, via bites. The zombies vanish after 24 hours, after which the plague/zombiefication can be easily healed with a DC20 heal check. The horde's biggest weakness is the irresistible urge to dance.
3: A large section of landmass the party is currently on (e.g. an island, a entire city, a mountain...) lifts from its current position, 2 miles into the air, before dropping back where it was at the normal speed gained from gravity. This causes a massive earthquake on that landmass, and possibly other effects to the area around it (e.g. tsunamis...).
4: An infant, 20 foot-high Volcano God erupts in the vicinity of the party. It demands cheese to be "fed" into it. If granted this request within 24 hours, it becomes an adult Volcano God, increasing its size to 2 miles (causing earthquakes and landslides and other terrain-malformations in the process), becoming a permanent feature of the terrain. The adult volcano God must be "fed" cheese daily, or it will erupt violently.
5: The caster may change their size from diminutive (bug-sized) to gargantuan (kaiju/Godzilla) sized and back, at will. This transformation takes 5 seconds to complete. The effect lasts for 2 hours. While diminutive, the caster may only vocalize in incoherent squeaks, and whilst gargantuan, they may only vocalize in loud, monstrous roars (treat them as a constant "terrify" effect).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:30 pm

LoganAura wrote:This might be a good table for that Crazy Laughter destiny.

Crazy Laughter destiny you say... I am going to need one of those tables eventualy... Well, no time like the present.

Zarhon wrote:Not exactly...

...You'd need to apply the effect to someone other than the immune caster, re-roll, offer targeting, or simply affect everyone nearby/whole party...

...Plus, I think the effects aren't quite powerful enough to be equivalent of a level 10 destiny ability...

...needs stuff that makes DM's cringe and/or die laughing...

Starts taking notes Ok, I can work with this. Expect another post with another effect table soon-ish.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Also good for minor temp-major changes that could effect the whole world if the caster wishes... But that's what I'd do with that Super-Laughter table.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Zarhon wrote:Not exactly - the destiny gives you "immunity" to the effects of your own laughter. Rolling something like 45 or 70-74, which are negative effects directed at the caster only, would do nothing, and waste it.

As for this one point, this isn't necessarily the case. It's fine to have the table for that destiny have some things that should seriously backfire and be purely negative. That emphasizes your immunity and gives the power a chance of doing nothing some of the time - so you can enjoy having it do more powerful effects the rest of the time. If you don't let there be quite a few powers where you're glad to have immunity, then the immunity is a bit less cool.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down