Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Official Laughter Table

+8
Pingcode
SparkImpulse
A1C Bronymous
ZamuelNow
Philadelphus
Zarhon
Xel Unknown
Kindulas
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

An Official Laughter Table Empty An Official Laughter Table

Post  Kindulas Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:01 pm

One of the big shortcomings of the system has, for a long time, been the lack of an official Laughter table. Creating one is fun for many, but also a headache. Many DMs may not want to make one, and so they're either forced to, or forced to ban laughter.

This has to stop.

We need an official one for DMs that don't want to make one, and to set an example for those who do.

And you all have been making them all this time, so it only makes sense we ask for your ideas. However, there are a few guidelines:

1) The effects have to be "ambient" - that is, made assuming the user of Laughter didn't target anyone when they used it. Remember that they used to target a creature, but that has changed. They can still hit a specific creature, but it needs to either be random, or the target gets to be chosen after the effect is rolled (but possibly before the rest of the effect is explained...)

Before, when it was targeted, the idea was that you cast it at the bad guy. But you can't use it in combat, which you often are with your enemy, so there were almost no situations in which it was really usable. On top of that, having to point at something really restricted the number of possible effects, especially when you can add in the "point" effect to specific abilities.

2) The effects should do something. People are spending their magic points on this talent, we don't want confetti to be thrown up with no meaningful effect. That's really just a letdown. They should impact the situation in a meaningful way, like activating the Utility Talent Jinx!

3) The effect should not have a high likelihood of derailing everything. We can't just let the user permanently turn into a dragon and win the campaign. Of course, if similar effects were temporary there's more lee-way.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

An Official Laughter Table Empty Re: An Official Laughter Table

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:02 pm

I'd suggest... Building more the one table to be "official" to give GMs options to work with.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:07 pm

I can see having more than 1, and that would allow players to not know necessarily which their GM is using, but after making 1 there will be much higher priorities than a second. The important part is filling the gaping hole that is "0"
GMs can mess with the table all they want, anyway.

It would be the official "example" table, we'd stress the DM freedom and encourage customization.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Starting with a bunch of suggestions by such a rule-set!

Effects:

Question: If this "official" table is applied, how will it interact with the "Master of Madness" destiny?

Last edited by Zarhon on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Kindulas wrote:2) The effects should do something. People are spending their magic points on this talent, we don't want confetti to be thrown up with no meaningful effect. That's really just a letdown. They should impact the situation in a meaningful way, like activating the Utility Talent Jinx!
This is an excellent point. I haven't made a Laughter table myself but I've thought about it, and this was one of the things I came up with. I've seen/heard of Laughter effects that were little more than "nice distraction, now let's get back to what we were doing" and decided for myself that effects should have about as much effect/use as a typical utility talent.

Edit: I guess I could contribute an effect or two myself, couldn't I. Hmm, let's see...I'm better at thinking up mechanical bonuses than flavor, so I'll do the former and let other people add flavor to it.

• All creatures within 25 feet of the caster gain an Attribute point until their extended rest. This point may be put into any Attribute.
  • Caster and up to 6 visible allies roll 2d6. They may use the result they get to boost a single skill check in the future at their discretion. This effect only lasts until the next extended rest, however.
  • After rolling this effect, caster may pick a visible PC in the party (including themself), or the party as a whole. If the former, the target gains Training in 5 skills of its choice for the next hour. If the latter, every creature in the party gains a second Expert Skill for the next hour.
  • Caster may pick a target willing ally (or themself) after rolling this effect. Target rolls a d4, with the numbers 1–4 corresponding to the Attributes. The target has their Attribute score doubled for the Attribute that was rolled for the next 8 hours.
  • Caster and all visible allies may flip a coin. If heads, that creature gains a Magic Point.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 am

Does it truly need to be 100 items? I ask since doing research on the Rod of Wonder concept and some roll 1d100 but are actually just 20 effects. It would make it easier to plan out for most GMs while others could still have a full 100 if they want.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 pm

As far as the effects go: Should they be built to purely cause mechanics (e.g. "gain a magic point"), or purely to be amusing/funny, or cause some unexpected situation with a minor consequence (e.g. a bunny stampede).

And still asking: How would this new table interact with Master of Madness?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:32 pm

I don't know about what kind of parameters you do or don't want, but here's my whole table for ideas- take what you like, leave what you don't.

Laughter Table:
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Zarhon wrote:As far as the effects go: Should they be built to purely cause mechanics (e.g. "gain a magic point"), or purely to be amusing/funny, or cause some unexpected situation with a minor consequence (e.g. a bunny stampede).

And still asking: How would this new table interact with Master of Madness?
Preferably flavorful more than pure mechanics, but there can be some that are a pure mechanical bonus. Again though, they cost a magic point, they shouldn't just be amusing - they should be considerably impactful and usually give the player an edge. Laughter should be a wildcard, not a distraction.

And... well how doesn't it interact with Master? If you're talking about the level 10 feature... well... why we thought it was a good idea to make a destiny feature tell DMs to make a whole extra table I don't know....
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:35 am

What about harmful, or malicious effects (e.g. enemies assaulting you, suffering injury or nasty curses, nearby NPCs turning evil..)? Should they be a thing, considering this is a "Laughter" effect / "Tons of Fun" table?

And should the table be able to affect combat or provide/cause effects that will have a direct impact on combat (e.g. "your next combat ability will gain +10 damage")?

More effects stuff:
Spoiler:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:40 am

Zarhon wrote:What about harmful, or malicious effects (e.g. enemies assaulting you, suffering injury or nasty curses, nearby NPCs turning evil..)? Should they be a thing, considering this is a "Laughter" effect / "Tons of Fun" table?

And should the table be able to affect combat or provide/cause effects that will have a direct impact on combat (e.g. "your next combat ability will gain +10 damage")?

More effects stuff:
Spoiler:
1) A few, but not many
2) Definitely not
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

An Official Laughter Table Empty don't look, golmogorath!

Post  SparkImpulse Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:41 am

So, I've got an incomplete table that I've shared to another player who pulled, like two or three items from it for their own table -- which is fine, but I've also got a player in a current campaign, and since it's considered bad form to see the DM's table:
Flarestar! Bad pony! Go home! <smacks her nose with a newspaper>

(of course, she'll just set the newspaper on fire. But still)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvhgf7b01jse1wn/TonsofFun_tbl.txt

If the official types want to pull from this, you'll immediately notice two things. One, it's not really complete. But more than halfway there. Also, I've pulled several from a few "suggested" tables somewhere on this forum. Don't rightly remember where, just now.

Nevertheless, if it gets you closer to what you want, by all means, populate the official table with my sweat.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:24 am

74) Conjure 100 gallons of SparkImpulse's sweat. All creatures who touch it are grossed out (save ends).
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:48 pm

I still think a smaller table is a concept worth exploring. It makes building them far easier and there actually is precedent for it in DnD examples.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:I still think a smaller table is a concept worth exploring.  It makes building them far easier and there actually is precedent for it in DnD examples.
I have to agree. IT would make it easier for both us and other DMs, and we could just say "it's also cool to have a 100-point dishes." And it would help us keep to the best effects. And perhaps we could make on official 100-one later and jat least make a 20 one to cover the gap.

At the same time, I am hesitant that we've set a precedent to 100-item-tables, then once we need to make an official one "Eh, let's only do 20."
So, you make a very good point.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Well I'd say the Devs make mutliable tables... For mutable contexts...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Well, I'm slowly working on a table for my own uses so here's some of mine:

Laughter Table Suggestions:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 am

ZamuelNow wrote:I still think a smaller table is a concept worth exploring.  It makes building them far easier and there actually is precedent for it in DnD examples.
I have to agree. IT would make it easier for both us and other DMs, and we could just say "it's also cool to have a 100-point dishes." And it would help us keep to the best effects. And perhaps we could make on official 100-one later and jat least make a 20 one to cover the gap.

At the same time, I am hesitant that we've set a precedent to 100-item-tables, then once we need to make an official one "Eh, let's only do 20." There seem to be more on the side of a 20 table at least for now, but the appearance may be odd nonetheless
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 am

Eh, better to fix the problem than to keep a difficult to use system in an attempt to save face.

Save a 100-table for when it's likely that there's going to be 100 good general purpose laughter effects.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  conantheghost Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 pm

I think I could live with a table limited to 20 slots. Easier to build and modify.

Also, I agree with Xel's idea: making multiple tables to choose from. The standard table doesn't always work out for a character's given flavor. Perhaps have a "Discord" level table(i.e. one with a ton of CRAZY effects), a "Pinkie" level table(one with almost believable effects) and one with totally believable/almost mundane effects. And probably two filler tables between them.

If a GM wishes, he or she can then slam them together to get a 100 table.
conantheghost
conantheghost
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:54 pm

I frankly think that the laughter table might need to be a DM-option to include rather than a default for the system. Rods of Wonder in D&D are cool because DMs that want to include them can and DMs don't have to when a silly random table of effects would destroy their campaign's tone or just isn't something that they want to deal with.

A laughter table, on the other hand, is worked into the core of the system and would have to be outright banned by a DM (which would be awkward, considering it's one of the main elements). 

While getting a table done will happen, it might be best to provide a different effect for Laughter for the main document and give DM's the option to replace that effect with the Tons of Fun laughter table (or just provide both options) at their discretion. More options for DMs.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  conantheghost Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Ooooh. That's some fightin' words right there. I personally agree from a GMing perspective, but that will rustle some jimmies for sure.

While we're at it, might I suggest we rearrange which power is associated with which Element? For example, has Rainbow Dash ever helped free somepony from the clutches of an evil, mind-bending spell?
conantheghost
conantheghost
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Yeah, while it makes some bit of conceptual sense for Loyalty to be able to prevent an outside influence that would cause them to betray someone, Dash herself seems more like Honor's ability to teleport to someone's side if it were buffed to allow the helpless condition instead of just combat.

Speaking of adjustments, still trying to figure out if we should be commenting based on the mean, mode, upper end, or lower end of player usage for Element/Virtue adjustment.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Theoretically if you were to assign by M6 you'd have something like:

Rainbow Dash: Honor - Say what you will about Rainbow Dash, she's there.
Pinkie Pie: Loyalty - Giggle at the ghostie~
Rarity: Honesty - A weaker than normal link, since Honesty is so specific from a day to day perspective, but Rarity's pretty good at being verbally manipulative.
Applejack: Generosity - Loyalest of Friends and Most Dependable of Ponies. Everypony looks at Applejack when they need someone to help get things done.
Fluttershy: Kindness - Kindness fits really well for Fluttershy
Twilight Sparkle: Laughter - How many times has Twilight tried to resolve the problem du jour with some random spell she just learned/made up on the spot?
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 pm

I still think Magic fits pretty well for Twilight since while it sometimes backfires, her spells tend to be planned as opposed to pure random. I will note that the current form of Loyalty actually feels more in line with some of Cadance's applications of "Love".
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next