Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toil and Trouble: Problematic Abilities

+6
Xel Unknown
Stairc -Dan Felder
Crystalite
A1C Bronymous
Zarhon
ZamuelNow
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Toil and Trouble: Problematic Abilities - Page 2 Empty Re: Toil and Trouble: Problematic Abilities

Post  ZamuelNow Mon May 05, 2014 11:02 am

-Previously added True Sight
-Added document to first post
-Added Call Animal and Twitchy Tail/Eureka! to the document

Was trying to wait to see if more would be said about Freaky Knowledge but went ahead and made those updates.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Toil and Trouble: Problematic Abilities - Page 2 Empty Re: Toil and Trouble: Problematic Abilities

Post  Terrestial Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Has there ever been reached consensus among the GMs as to how implement "Heart of Courage" in the game efficiently, without spoiling its flavour?

I see some solutions presented. How did they fare in being adopted? Is it still considered a troublesome ability?

Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:41 pm

For me personally, it's sorta in banned status. As currently structured, it's just a permanent +5 to high rolls. What I would instead suggest would be a Freaky Knowledge for the character concept but have the player not min-max their skills. I think that fits a sort of underdog setup since it means they don't have crazy stats but are getting boosts in key situations.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:26 am

If not banned, then its forgotten about. At least if I'm DM, you would have to keep track that you have it and remind me of it every time. For those tat use standard 5 increment DCs, all it really means is changing a failure at DC30 into a success at DC25, and othe rthan that has little practical use.

If you have nontraditional DCs, like I do, though... still only marginally helpful. FK is better.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:07 pm

Challenge Fate (6) – Magic Interrupt
Trigger – The DM makes a D20 roll and you dislike the result
Effect – You can tell the DM to treat the result of the d20 roll as a natural 1. No rerolls are possible.

Trying to get this to work with a PbP, even one with a fairly active OOC skype group, is giving me a headache. Having to constantly state when rolls are made runs counter to every GM instinct I possess, but at the same time rephrasing the ability is likewise an impossible challenge.

So far the best my players and I can come up with is a rewrite along the lines of being able to apply the effect of a natural 1 on an event that the player character is aware of. This makes it so that stealth NPCs aren't entirely shafted due to having to specify that rolls are being made. I'm also inclined to limit it to NPC actions so the PC can't make a blackhole collapse on itself and consume the universe as a super-blackhole or something stupid like that.

Last edited by AleneShazam on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:14 pm

AleneShazam wrote:Challenge Fate (6) – Magic Interrupt
Trigger – The DM makes a D20 roll and you dislike the result
Effect – You can tell the DM to treat the result of the d20 roll as a natural 1. No rerolls are possible.

Trying to get this to work with a PbP, even one with a fairly active OOC skype group, is giving me a headache.

So far the best my players and I can come up with is a rewrite along the lines of being able to apply the effect of a natural 1 on an event that the player character is aware of. This makes it so that stealth NPCs aren't entirely shafted due to having to specify that stealth rolls are being made. I'm also inclined to limit it to NPC actions so the PC can't make a blackhole collapse on itself and consume the universe as a super-blackhole or something stupid like that.

I reccomend just banning it. Slows the story down too much in PbP.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2