Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for potential game system

4 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 5 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  Elacular Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Oooh! Okay, now I understand. Sorry, I was missing some key terminology.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 5 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Also was brewing the idea of that you could get a special talent somehow that'd likely cost only magic points to get... That'd allow you instead of fuge dice rolled, you can flip a coin which gives you 50-50 of getting a +1/-1 to anyone's skill check or a 0 to the check.

Also the dice outcomes would have one of three things... if you get the bad outcome the karma is refunded, if you get a nothing outcome, you've "used" the karma point meaning you can't use it again till the next session, & if you get the good outcome that you wanted to get (be it helping your own or an allies' roll & getting the +1 outcome... Or you're trying to hinder somebody's roll by -1 outcomes.) your karma max goes down by one.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Alright, that makes sense. Sort of a god of fate type thing?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:46 pm

That sounds good. Although I kinda think that the karma thing would work for a replacement for magic points, instead of in addition to.

Also want to say I approve of limiting the number of flaws one character can have.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Sorta... But more a type of luck mechanic that all players got access to. Just those better tied to luck have more or something like that. Just know there'd be like four types of karma changes, Gaining Karma (your max Karma goes up, might also have your used karma value go up too), Returned Karma (Your Usable Kama total goes up, could go over your karma max or if you are returned karma more then your max, your max goes up? Unusre how to run this.), Used Karma (when you spend karma, but only X Karma per session goes down, it resets to your max karma value at the start of a new session), and Spent Karma (where your karma max value goes down).

All of the karma-talents or whatever would either need a karma cost of either a used/spent value or help you get karma returned/gained...

The default would be using karma to roll Fudge Dice that gets refunded if you get a bad roll & you spend karma for each good roll.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Okay, I think I follow. Could there also be an option to have Karma work as magic points in each character having a special ability they can use with it, or is that too much?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:55 pm

I think having like 10 Karma = 1 Pony Tales Magic Point would be how I'd work it personally.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:45 pm

I like Xel's idea and the idea of having abilities that are powered by it And I do miss the Elements in Wanderlust, but I do worry that's straying too close to Pony Tales.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Don't worry... As long as it has a flaws system, only three races to pick from... And other things at varying costs for the karma points & not just having 10 Point costing thingie be the norm would be wisest... Cause personally I'd see the karma system could work a little like the Magic Point system... But only for the max of karma usage... You can also SPEND karma which has the karma point max goes down. Also the karma point system would refresh at each session not each new day... So yeah...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Alright then.

I noticed we could use a few more Deity options, and no real Avatar abilities. I shall start to try to fill that void.

Glamour-(2 Magic points, 2 science points)

Make small alterations to your appearance (hair color, eye color, etc) Everyone (including the rest of the party) gets -3 penalties to attempts to recognize you.

_Just know its you (1 Magic Point, 1 Science point)
The party always recognizes you in your disguise

_Chameleon (5 Magic Points, 5 Science Points) X/Day
You may choose to imitate a specific being. You get a +5 bonus to checks to convince others you are that being, in addition to the penalty from the prerequisite ability

mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:07 pm

I'll definitely be making use of those ones. Thanks. Sorry for my dearth of ideas lately, I'm kinda under the weather.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:35 pm

I hope you feel better soon

Godly Aura (3 Magic points, 7 Science points) X/day

When you choose this ability, select an emotion. When you activate this ability, you gain +5 bonus to attempts to induce this emotion

We Need a Distraction (2 Magic Points, 2 Science Points) X/Day

For the next minute, draw the attention of everyone in the vicinity to yourself

Minions (3 Magic Points, 6 Science points) X/ Day

Summon/activate a minion. This minion is less than a foot tall, and obeys rudimentary commands (more complicated commands may confuse it, though) the Minion has 5 in all of its stats, and is capable of working for 30 minutes at a time,

-Built to last (3 Magic Points, 4 Science Points)

Raise the minion's Constitution score to 10, and it now lasts for a whole day after activation/ summoning

-Giant Mook (3 Magic Points, 5 Science Points)

Your minions may now be up to 7 feet tall (although their stats remain the same)

-Upgrades (3 Magic Points, 3 Science Points)

Choose an attribute. When you summon a minion, raise the level of that attribute by 2. This ability may be taken up to 5 times

-Intelligent Design (4 Magic Points, 4 Science points)

Double the Minion's Intelligence score. You may now control the Minions directly

mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks. I'm doing better now. I absolutely adore the Minion ones, though it may be just because I love mook abilities. Anyway, I finally made up a few Demigod exclusives.

Cry out-(1 Magic point) (At will)
You automatically send a telepathic message to your patron god when in danger.

The Divine Phone Package-(1 Magic point and 1 science point) (At will)
You have a phone (which may or may not be a smartphone) that can send text messages to your patron god, whether or not you have it. If you already have the Smartphone ability, this only costs 1 magic point.

Channeling-(2 magic points, 5 science points) (X/day)
You can pull your patron god into your own body for 5 minutes at a time. During this period, they have partial control over you, but cannot leave until the duration is over.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks! (although you mean avatar abilities, right?)

Although speaking of Avatar and Divine abilities...

God Guise: (1 Magic Point, 3 Science points) X/day

Take on the appearance of your patron God. You get +10 to Bluff Checks to convince everyone that you are your patron

Wreathed in Flames (2 Magic Points)- At Will

You create an illusion of being completely covered in fire

-Burn Baby Burn (3 Magic Points)-X/Day

Now when you use Wreathed in Flames, you may choose to substitute real fire for the next 5 minutes. While using this ability, you are immune to fire, but anything you touch that is flammable will burn.

Gust of Wind (2 Magic Points, 4 Science Points)

You may create gusts of wind up to 5 miles an hour at will

Super Not-Drowning Abilities (1 Magic Point, 2 Science Points)

You can breathe underwater.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Excellent. and yeah, I meant avatar abilities. My bad. Anyway, here's some basic type stuff along with a fun little god type thing I threw in for a lark.

Innate awesomeness-(4 magic points, 4 science points)
You gain an extra 3 attribute points. Can be taken up to 4 times.

Schooled-(3 magic points, 3 science points)
You gain training in another skill. Can be taken multiple times.

Specialized-(2 magic points, 2 science points)
You start out with 3 in each attribute and get 24 attribute points to spend.

Savant-(3 magic points, 3 science points)
You have freaky levels of knowledge concerning two very specific subjects and get +5 in any rolls dealing with them. This ability may be taken multiple times, but each one must be for different subjects.

-The lord’s gift-(2 magic points)
Your savantism is considered a divine gift. As such, you get +7 to rolls concerning the subject and can get a bonus if you pray before making the roll.

The lord’s day-(3 Magic points)
Choose one day a week. On that day, in character, you get a +5 to all your rolls.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:50 pm

I like The Lord's Day one  Very Happy 

Here's the thing, we need more Avatar powers, but I'm beginning to run out of ideas for them.  Sad 

I do have this, though

Rope (1 Science Point, 2 Magic Points)

You own 20 feet worth of rope

mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:31 pm

To be honest, we really don't need that many avatar powers. Because Avatars can pull from both other ability pools. Neither pool is exclusive. I figure each species can have a couple potential exclusives and just pull the rest from the other lists.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:41 pm

True, I guess. So when do we decide we have enough abilities to start talking about balance and wording?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:41 pm

I'd say that I have no idea and around nowish seems good since, in all honesty, I've been stalling on that since I'm gonna suck at it.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Well, I already have ideas and stuff on both topics, so I guess I'll start suggesting things on the main document ( although I can't do much this minute, later today I can)
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Alright then, that'd be cool!

Also, I made an Npcs doc that I'll add to the first post.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Okay, I proofread some of the doc, and added some of my initial concerns.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:12 pm

I appreciate the proofreading, thank you. Also, I took in your commentary on the abilities I made and made alterations to them suiting that.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Sorry I haven't really been commenting on this, but I'm back!

One thing I thought of, I was wondering if maybe we should switch back to using Mortal and Divine points instead of Magic and Science Points. Given what we've made for both categories, I feel like those names better reflect what these points actually do.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Ehhh, as much as I despise redundant nomenclature, probably for the better.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next