Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for potential game system

4 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 6 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  mjh6 Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:13 pm

What do you mean by that?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 6 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:17 pm

"The mortal used his mortal points"

That sort of stuff just hits my No No No No button in a big way, but that's just my own neurosis.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Well, if it bugs you , we could just have the standard words for the races be "humans" and "Gods"
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:30 pm

...*facepalm*

Thank you for being much smarter than me.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Yeah that makes sense... Cause this system is meant to be basically set in "Next Sunday AD, Our Universe" So having it be Human Points & God Points... MAKES THE BEST LOGICAL SENSE! :3

Personally I like Magic Points & Science Points more... But that's just me.

LASTLY: I've got this brainwave of what our Morality System can look like! Dreamer - Realist & Pessimist - Optimist axis... Where you can pick between two "neutral" options: Mixed & Unattached
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Huh. I actually quite like the idea of that, but it begs a few questions. How could someone be a dreamer and a pessimist and where does that leave the legal and moral alignment systems?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:17 pm

My reasoning behind the name change suggestion for points is that they ultimately seem based on what a human can do. And while a lot of the abilities that are science based, not all of them are pure science.

Okay, I went through the ability point draft, and I think we have a good beta doc. So now, we need to discuss what our next step is. Should we try to hash out the combat system, the combat system, the flavor and background, or something else?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:13 pm

Well, that only took forever for me to respond. Sorry, I derped up. At any rate, there are pros and cons to both the main options.

Combat system.
  • Pro: It would be helpful to get it out of the way
  • Pro: There could be some insanely awesome crap in there.
  • Con: I am incredibly bad at combat.

Flavor and background
  • Pro: I loooooove flavor and background
  • Pro: I don't actually suck at it
  • Con: Less central in nature
  • Con: Not nearly as interesting to everyone else, probably.

With all that said and done....yeah, I think I'm gonna go with combat. Anyway, what I was considering was something more similar to pathfinder style combat, in so much as it's roll-to-hit with your three endurance's being your touch ac for different circumstances and other stats being your hit modifiers for different circumstances. These can be augmented with different armors and weapons and spells and stuff.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Also sorry I didn't reply immediately, I've been trying to think of what to say (and the Pathfinder wiki seems to love avoiding giving a straight answer when it comes to How Combat Works) What you've described seems relatively straightforward, though, and I can get behind it.

The part of this that interests me is how attacking works. I think that everybody starts with a basic ability to deal Close Combat damage off one of the Strength Skills, which normally is flitered through either Endurance or Reflexes. Like you said, everything should probably be built around a basic form, which we then modify.

My initial thoughts is that the modifications be based around Weapons, Armor, and Charms. Obviously, a Weapon modifies how well you take a hit, and Armor modifies how you take a hit. My idea about charms is that they modify the modifications: either Weapons or Armor. The way I see a Charm working is like this:

Throwing Your Weapon Always Works(Charm:Weapon)
You may use you this Weapon to make a Ranged attack (10 ft) with no penalties. Once you use this attack, you lose access to this weapon for one round.

Fireproof (Charm: Armor)
You now receive a +10 bonuss to Defense checks to resist fire based attacks.

Each Weapon and Armor can hold a certain number of Charms at once. If a Person has no specific Weapon, they may apply one Weapon Charm and One Armor Charm to their default stats.

We can of course do something different, and may be horribly unbalanced or wrong, but that's my idea.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Here's the combat sheet which will also be linked in the first post.

Alright, I've made up some of the basic attacks that can be upgraded through different weapons, feats and charms and stuff.

Guarded stance: (D10+Endurance mod) [Standard action]
Roll a D10. The result is added to your Endurance mod until your next turn.

Close Combat: (D20+Might mod vs endurance || levelxd4.) [Standard action]
A basic, close range punch and kick. Can be upgraded/changed through items and feats.

Martial Dance: (D20+Acrobatics mod vs reflex || levelxd4.) [Standard action]
A basic, close range fancy strike. Can be upgraded/changed through items and feats.

Magic Blast: (D20+Arcana mod vs willpower || levelxd4) [Standard action]
A basic, long range mystical strike. Can be upgraded/changed through items and feats.

First Aid: (D20+Heal mod || levelxd4) [Standard Action]
A basic, touch healing move. Can be upgraded/changed through items and feats.

A lot of the items I'll be making will be upgrading and changing these, such as.

Martial gloves (Weapon, 1 charm slot)
Your Close Combat and Martial Dance’s attack rolls now have your Athletics added to them rather than Might and Acrobatics.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:45 pm

sounds about right, although I'm a bit hazy on what the level part means like I said, had trouble finding Pathfinder's combat rules.

If you could explain exactly how the combat system works to  hit and deal damage, i would feel more confident in making suggestions

Also, I'm totally making a Pencil as a weapon once I do.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Well, it's ended up being less pathfindery than I expected, so you can probably toss that metaphor. Anyway.

The level part means whatever level your character is on. Like a first level character using a levelxd4 power would do 1d4 damage/healing.

Basically, the combat, items specifically, will be separated into two things: Items that give their own combat abilities and items that augment natural combat abilities. A gun or a crossbow would give combat abilities, brass knuckles would change natural combat abilities and a sword or knife could do both. That sort of things

And then there would be combat abilites that you could get by taking feats for them as you level up. That would work more like the ponytales system. You get one or two combat feats per level and there are items you can get that let you have more. Feats would let you do things like shoot lighting or whatever.

Bear in mind that these are the ideas of someone bad at combat.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Okay, gotcha. As far as basic unarmed attacks go, I kinda think it might work better if you pick a few to serve as your basic attacks, instead of having access to all of them. it would work more for customization, ( which is also why I suggested charms for weapons and armor) and not every human is going to be able to shoot magic blasts with their mind.

Also, another Basic attack suggestions:

Improv Fu: (D20+Might mod-X vs endurance || level*d4+Y.)
Use a nearby item as an improvised weapon. Gain a X Bonus to damage, and an X penalty to hit ( X being based on weight class of weapon, small being 1 medium being 2, and so on)

Might also work as feat later on, and probably needs more tweaking to be actually useful, but there you go.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:49 pm

That makes more sense really. So what if everyone could pick, say, five of the basic techniques to start with then get 3000 gold (arbitrary numbers are arbitrary) for in combat items to suit their needs, sort of like the ponytales system.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:01 pm

I was thinking a bit lower, like 3 or four, but that's just my opinion

Since we don't have anything in the armor section yet:

Kevlar (Armor, 1 Charm slot)
+3 bonus to Endurance checks against being hit

Thick Skin (Armor, 1 Charm slot)
1 Resist to damage
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Alright. We can work on hashing out the exact numbers.

Anyway, I like all the things you're giving me, but my main Internet source is incapable of accessing drive, so I can't add them to the actual doc just yet. They'll have to be there in spirit for now.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Alright then, although I can add them too now. I promise not to go too overboard.

What do you think about critical hits? My idea was that activating a critical causes an extra effect, depending on the weapon. For instance, using a baseball bat has a chance of inflicting a Disabled status, causing penalties to hit. That sort of thing.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Ooh, I'd forgotten about crits. But I love that idea! I'm completely down with different weapons having different crits with straight-up double-damage as a backup for ones that don't suit anything else.

Also:

Mobile ER kit. (Weapon Charm]
In combat, all healing moves can now be rolled with the Science mod rather than Heal.

Biomancy Wand. (Weapon Charm]
In combat, all healing moves can now be rolled with the Arcana mod rather than Heal.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Great! I'll work on coming up with some good ones. You think that some weapons and charms could increase a crit range?

Also, I like those new charms, and it complements one I was going to suggest:

Clarke's Law Unleashed!: (Weapon Charm)

In combat, all moves that would use an Arcana mod may use the Science Mod instead.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Ooh, I was wanting to make something like that, but you've got it handled with a much better name. Anyway, I'll get back to you on this in around five hours.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Okay, I got all my suggestions settled into one nice and neat Document

It contains a few ideas for weapons and armor, as well as outlining my general concept for Critical Hits.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:22 pm

I like all of those and I really like your crits. They're all welcome on the combat doc and I'll put them there next time I'm at a desktop.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks. I was also thinking that the Godly innate ability to remove effect be the ability to remove Crit. effects ( cause opponents should get the chance too) If I get more Ideas, I'll add them to the document.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:50 pm

Okay, now that we got the combat beta made, do you want to have a karma system?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:09 pm

I would like that, but I'm still not entirely sure how to get it to come together.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next