Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sunless Realms (Pony Souls IC Thread)

+2
Dusk Raven
Faege
6 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Sunless Realms (Pony Souls IC Thread) - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sunless Realms (Pony Souls IC Thread)

Post  Faege Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:29 pm

"Spoilsports, the lot of you." Ghreham grumbles, dispelling all but three of the knives. "There. Happy?"

Turning to the zebra, he continues, "Now, my stripy fellow, shall we get started?"

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

The Sunless Realms (Pony Souls IC Thread) - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sunless Realms (Pony Souls IC Thread)

Post  Espresso Wed May 03, 2017 10:17 am

The competition is quickly set up, little piles of fruits and vegetables set out in front of six or so travelers, as well as Eclipse and Ghreham. Someone volunteers to be referee, and the competition is underway soon enough. At first the travelers actually put up an impressive performance, some of the flipping their knives around in a showy fashion, others hacking away at the veggies with surprising speed. Then Eclipse steps up, raises her sword, and slashes down.

For reference, there are stone slab extracted from the ruins that are being used as a cutting board. Eclipse's sword cleaves straight through the first piece of veggie on her slab, then the sword slashes into the stone slab itself, making a very impressive four inch deep cut into the solid stone slab before stopping. Eclipse tries to pull the sword out, only for it to snap in half from the force of her telekinesis pulling on the hilt. Without a blade, she sheepishly steps down from the game, allowing the others to do their thing.

But naturally it is Ghreham, with his natural keen senses and eye for precision, as well as his dexterous manipulation of three blades at once, that steals the show. He makes quick work of the pile in front of him, and then the crowd takes to throwing vegetables at him - to stop his showboating at first, but when they realize he's actually able to cut the vegetables with some success the group makes a game of it, and Ghreham is unanimously crowned the victor.

The soup is then quickly made, and with the crowd riled up by the competition they are now more willing to participate in the process. In no time at all a big pot of delicious soup is made, and Eclipse finally announces her intentions to go find Gaunt.

"The stallion's been kept waiting for too long," She says, starting off in the same direction that Umber did a while ago.

"...Good lady, your robes... might you be a firekeeper?"
"Ah... you know of our kind." The lady smiles sadly. "Not many do anymore. Not when all that's left are embers. Not much left to keep."

She tilts her head ever so slightly in the Hollow's direction. "Hmm. Although, tending to dying embers is something you seem familiar with, Umber of Kilnsdale."
Espresso
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed May 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Haskur has not moved from his spot, watching the cooking competition from the other side of the fire. When Eclipse's sword breaks, he lets out an audible chuckle. "Weak iron, the bones of monsters would rest well." He stands, as laborious and deliberate as when he sat down, and reshoulders his shields. He follows Eclipse in that direction, seemingly ready to go as well. "You need a new weapon."

Linguistics:

Last edited by A1C Bronymous on Thu May 04, 2017 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu May 04, 2017 11:16 am

"Such is our duty, to keep watch over flame, till the last cinders fade." Umber shares her sad smile for a moment before slowly straightening up, glancing at the hollow and placing a delicate, glass-tipped hoof on his neck. "But this ember is dim before its time. I'll not allow it to fade into the night with nary a whisper."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege Mon May 08, 2017 6:51 am

"A strong blade for a strong mare, is what my father always told me." Ghreham muses as he drifts along the group, hovering a few feet above ground. He circles Eclipse, considering her measurements and factoring in the impressive telekinetic strength she just displayed, and starts shaping a sword out of souls.

"I would rather hand-smith you a blade with stronger materials, but for now this will have to do..."

Mechanics:

Soul Counter:

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Tue May 09, 2017 4:25 pm

As the contest got underway and finally got the results that he had wanted, Kabra'za was more then happy to finally cook a proper pot of Iron soup. Of course he ensured that those present that required food to live got to enjoy the first round of bowls before those eating more for the pleasure of enjoying a meal with company, but that was only logical and polite. His word was kept, the various beings had gotten a show and a good meal and would thus be in a better mood from the tense situation that everyone had been in before he had started making soup and a few neigh sayers couldn't deny the fact that he had made soup with a bar of iron. The fact that he got a great meal and a bunch of cooking supplies for the road out of the deal was a wonderful bonus.

Taking the time to enjoy his soup, his ears twitched as he noticed several of those whom had competed speaking of possibly hitting the road into Equestria now that some time had passed. Glancing back to make sure that no one intended to make off with his cooking pot, he calmly walked over to join Eclipse as he asked "By any chance would you care for some company? I confess that the road is oftentimes saver when traveling in a small group."
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso Fri May 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Umber wrote:"But this ember is dim before its time. I'll not allow it to fade into the night with nary a whisper."
"A valiant duty, to tend to a weak, flickering light." The Firekeeper hums. "But the path will not be easy. It will lead you into the depths of mortal darkness, then deeper still, to see the end of life and death. You'll see the rise and fall of kings and kingdoms, bear witness to old legends, and walk the breadth of the earth before your journey is done. Are you certain this path is the one you wish to tread?"

There's a lilt to her voice that makes her sound distant, almost like she's in a trance, except she's staring straight at Umber, which is weird now that you think about it, because she's blind.

Kabra'za wrote:"By any chance would you care for some company? I confess that the road is oftentimes saver when traveling in a small group."
Haskur wrote:"You need a new weapon."
"Of course! As they say, the more the merrier," Eclipse says, smiling, though her smile falters a little when she notices her sword. "Though I'll not be much help without my sword..."

Ghreham wrote:"I would rather hand-smith you a blade with stronger materials, but for now this will have to do..."
Pro smithing skills: 17 (roll) + 18 (Skill) + 5 (FK Smithing) = 40
You produce a twin-edged straight sword that seems plain at first, with a simple fuller running down the center and a broad blade that tapers off at the end, more or less the quintessential broadsword. On closer inspection though, the blade has Damascus steel patterning running down its length, and it is perfectly balanced for what you predict to be Eclipse's telekinetic strength. As such it has a bit more heft to it than your average arming sword (increase the soul cost by 1), but has quite a bit more destructive potential. As long as Eclipse doesn't abuse it too much it'll be a stalwart companion at her side for a long while.

"My word! I speak and the master delivers - well done, good sir!" Eclipse marvels at the sword, taking it into her telekinesis and swinging it around. "And it's so well forged! You are a worker of miracles, Ghreham! I'll treasure it for as long as I live, I promise you."

The group, as well as a few of the more martial looking travelers from the rabble, make their way towards the tents housing the leadership of the bandit camp. At the center of the cluster of bandit housing there is a large table with a map laid out on top, and Gaunt Quiver and another stallion are standing there, speaking urgently. Gaunt looks up when the group approaches, and gives them a respectful nod.

"Thank you for coming, all of you." Gaunt says, gesturing for the group to gather around the table. Looking at the map, it appears as though the map makes absolutely no sense. Rivers start and end randomly, the same locations are labeled twice, two labels read the same thing, and there are countless other discrepancies that make no geometrical sense. "As you already know, the forest is no longer safe... well, even more so. Our scouts have identified mysterious tracks, accompanied by signs of great destruction. We've come across evidence of timberwolf packs being decimated, and some of them aren't reforming, which means they have been so badly damaged that they are incapable of maintaining their existence. This takes tremendous force to accomplish."

He points at a few arbitrary seeming points on the map. "The tracks are sighted here, here, here, and here. I'm going to send two teams, both with the goal to investigate - not to hunt yet, just investigate and find the source of the tracks. If possible the two groups will meet up, and together take down whatever creature is creating these tracks."

"I will be heading one of these teams. This is Arrow Flint. He will be heading the other team. Any questions? We will be grouping up and heading out as soon as we are able. Some of our esteemed guests are getting... restless."
Espresso
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun May 28, 2017 10:00 pm

"What are the groups? I have no blade to cleave a monster's bones." He says, looking suggestively toward the golden armored knight and her new toy. "Or perhaps your archers will live behind my Iron?" He crosses his arms, his shields slung over his shoulders. "I wouldn't mind the bug, either."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege Mon May 29, 2017 3:32 am

"I have blades," Ghreham volunteers, eager to be in the same team as Haskur and Eclipse. "And I can provide new arms should yours break. And perform reparations." He glances at Eclipse. "It has happened before, after all."

But then he turns to Gaunt Quiver and asks, "As far as what you currently know, what can you tell us about the tracks? Are they feline? Canine? Reptilian? ...Equine?"

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Tue May 30, 2017 9:22 am

"Was that prophecy, sister?" Umber tilts her head curiously. "But... in any case, I fear not the trappings of fate. To turn back now is to betray my very purpose - a sin most cardinal. Whatever path lays ahead, we will walk it with confidence."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 am

As Kabra'za gazed over the map, he quickly deduced that either the Everfree truly was that chaotic a place or the bandits had encoded their map so that outsiders wouldn't be able to read it properly, preventing someone from merely stealing or copying it and thus challenging their monopoly on being guides through the area. Had to respect them either way through. "Do we have any clues about this thing? Size, method of movement... that sort of thing."
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 am

Haskur wrote:"What are the groups? I have no blade to cleave a monster's bones." He says, looking suggestively toward the golden armored knight and her new toy. "Or perhaps your archers will live behind my Iron?" He crosses his arms, his shields slung over his shoulders. "I wouldn't mind the bug, either."

"I think Flint will lead you," Gaunt Quiver points at the ponies other than the PCs, except for Eclipse. There are a few swordsman and hunter looking folk in that group. "While I take the rest of you."

Ghreham wrote:"As far as what you currently know, what can you tell us about the tracks? Are they feline? Canine? Reptilian? ...Equine?"
Kabra'za wrote:"Do we have any clues about this thing? Size, method of movement... that sort of thing."

"In fact, these tracks are quite unlike any we've seen. Our trackers call them avian, but I know of no bird which matches the size of these prints."

He pulls out a scrap of parchment, on which is a charcoal imprint of a bird-like footprint, maybe a foot and a half in length. The imprint shows clear markings of sharp talon-toed claws, and the depth implies that it is quite heavy.

"We have not actually seen the creature that did this, but we do not think it can fly. It would be too heavy, and the trail of tracks does not suggest flight."

Umber wrote:"Was that prophecy, sister?"
"Perhaps. You must go now, sister. Tell Gaunt Quiver I apologize for keeping you." The Fire Keeper smiles mysteriously, and turns away from Umber to return to her meditation.
Espresso
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:04 pm

"A bird." Haskur nods. "Or a reptile. Large like a dragon, with no wings to carry it- its size matters only for the blades that pierce it. We shall know when it is dead." Haskur shrugs, ready to go.

Linguistics:
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:12 am

As Kabra'za looked over the footprint that had been copied, he couldn't help but frown with thought. "Those are bird prints alright... I've heard tales of giant, hellish birds stalking the Everfree before, but I've never heard of one that doesn't fly before."
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:58 am

Ghreham studies the prints, stares down at his own claws, and places one of his bird claws onto the imprint.

"Hey look: I was the creature after all," Ghreham jokes, before withdrawing his claws and shrugging. "If this creature has a grand soul to harvest, I'm game. A unique bestial soul... I wonder the type of weapon I could forge from that."

Soul Counter:

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 am

"Apologies for delaying," Umber says, as she comes up to the group carried by the Hollow. "I was occupied with other matters."

She glances around, awaiting instructions.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 pm

"If that will be all, we should make haste. We have much ground to cover, and I'd prefer to get as much done as possible before night falls." Gaunt glances at Umber as she approaches on the Hollow. "Ah, I see you have come to join us, good lady. The others can fill you in as we walk - for now, follow me."

He shoulders a hunting bow and his namesake quiver, filled with arrows (Ghreham make, of course), and he sets off to the entrance of the Ruins, the group in tow.

As the party ventures into the Everfree Forest, Gaunt explains the situation. "The first sighting is not far from the ruins, only ten or so minutes off the main road. That is why we're on guard - we fear that the creature that did this may be close."

He brings the group to a clearing in the forest, and gestures at the ground. There, clear as day, are a set of talon-toed footprints cutting across the forest clearing, disappearing into the undergrowth on the other side. "Someone, please keep watch. The rest of you fan out and look for any signs of unnatural activity."

"I can keep watch," Eclipse offers. "I'm not much for investigating anyhow."

Mandatory stealth checks, and you may do want to investigate the area.
Espresso
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Haskur makes his way to the edge of the clearing, following the tracks, his heavy hoofsteps plodding the dirt. He pushes his way into the foliage and looks for anything that may help them- traces of blood, feathers stuck on trees, perhaps the remains of a predatory meal...

Stealth: 10+5+1(Grandeur)=16
Perception: 11+7+1(Grandeur)=19
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Umber closes her eyes, focusing on detecting any unnatural sorceries or magical imprints in the area. Perhaps the creature has magical properties which makes it so dangerous.

The Hollow, meanwhile, simply stands guard, taking up a cautious post and covering Eclipse's blind spots, also taking the chance to scan the undergrowth for any irregularities, such as obvious animal trails or breaks in the undergrowth.

Umber's rolls:
Burnt Hollow's rolls:
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Kabra'za didn't need to ask any further questions; He understood what needed to be done and was more then happy to be light of hoof as they went about the process of tracking down the almost certainly highly dangerous creature they were after, knowing how to somewhat blend in with the native environment so that he didn't draw the eye as he moved.

While he was happy to keep his eyes open, he wasn't so much looking for the creature itself as he kept his gaze looking at the various plants that surrounded them; Animals were not the only threat that one had to worry about in the Everfree, so keeping an eye out for dangerous plants was a must. Having an understanding of plants would also be useful in spotting possible covers for ambushes as well...

Dice rolls:
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:34 am

Ghreham takes to the skies, scouring the forest clearing from above, keeping an eye out for danger as well as seeing if there's anything in the canopy above the heads of the party.

Rolls:
Soul Counter:

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Hope Nexus followed along behind somewhat, having been late to part with the outpost. "Oh dear, we hope we aren't too late..." It was perhaps fortunate that she was a bit of a distance behind the rest, because she was being loud. In fact, she was so loud and clumsy, that she didn't step on a twig with a loud snap - she accidentally rammed one of her legs into a fallen log, causing it to snap in half with a mighty crunch... and then she fell forward awkwardly, landing with her top pressed against the ground and most of her legs flailing like an upturned beetle. "...Oops."

Rolls:
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Ghreham and Kabra'za scour the forest quietly, Ghreham with muffled wing-beats and Kabra'za with a ghostly step. The combined weight of Umber and the Hollow makes the silent undead step heavier than most, his armor rattling slightly, and the same goes for Haskur, his well-crafted armor excellent for protection... but not so much for stealth.

With his top-down perspective, Ghreham easily spots a trail of canopy that has been disturbed, with leaves brushed aside and branches snapped in one uniform direction, suggesting a single something pushed past these trees. It moves through the forest before the trail goes cold as it crosses a distant river bank. Kabra'za likewise notices trampled vegetation leading off in the direction Ghreham points out, but with the additional observation that there seems to be a strange distribution 0f plant matter in the clearing - there is an abundance of dry but durable twigs, arranged in scattered piles. Umber, with her attunement with souls, gathers that a strange, dark-tinted presence has recently been in the area. It is not a natural darkness, but one that has gone rampant, almost. An angry Dark.

Then, Haskur and the Burnt Hollow, as well as Eclipse, all turn in the same direction, alert. A twig snaps. Then- a tremendous crash, as Hope comes blundering into the clearing, tripping over a log and triggering a chain-reaction that topples a leafy tree onto the clearing, scattering the evidence to the winds.

As the changeling abomination struggles to get up, Gaunt Quiver sighs and shoulders his bow, which he took out in alarm when Hope first showed up.
Espresso
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Umber frowns as her concentration is broken by the collapsing tree. The Hollow backs away from the fallen tree, carrying his charge to safety.

"An evil presence passed through here. Quite malignant, overtly hostile. I fear this is no normal beast we face, but a true monster," She pauses. "I sense a dark sorcery about it. Perhaps it might've been cursed. That explains the aggression."

She looks around, contemplatively. "One must wonder what caused such anger. Whatever is the source of this destruction, expect great danger to accompany it."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:09 am

Kabra'za's gaze couldn't help but linger on the strange piles of twigs and timber that had been arranged in the clearing. Clearly they were unnatural, but it took him a few moments of examining them in order to actually get a pretty good idea of what they actually were; He had never seen a pack of dead timber wolves like this before. He was about to rise his voice to speak up when something started to crash through the undergrowth, putting them all on high alert! Seemingly out of nowhere, the hot hat wearing zebra pulled what appeared to be a bundle of strange looking twigs that had been braided together into a vaguely pony like shape...

Only to blink in surprise as the source of the disturbance reveled itself to be the abomination from the camp that had completely missed the point of being stealthy and had instead knocked down a tree. The doll of twigs disappeared once more as he frowned. "Well whatever it is, it's ripped through a pack of timber wolves seemingly without to much issue." He informed aloud as he gave the changeling a stink eye for scaring the hell out of them.
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next