Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stairc's Item Ideas

+3
SilentBelle
XandZero2
Stairc -Dan Felder
7 posters

Go down

Stairc's Item Ideas Empty Stairc's Item Ideas

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:48 pm

Here's some super-rough concepts. I don't usually post rough concepts on here, you usually only see my polished ideas, but for Items, I'm going to post some of my own ideas in their roughest form. It's just fun.

Morpher:

Lucky Dice:

Party Cannon:

Portable Rock Wall:

Mirror of Missing Friends:

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Stairc's Item Ideas Empty Re: Stairc's Item Ideas

Post  XandZero2 Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Talk of items, huh? Well, I really like the dice idea. The Morpher and Party Cannon concepts seem to need the most work.

As far as the Morpher goes, why would you ever use Repeater Blast when you have Zeo Blast? I guess if you had a ton of PiPs to use it could be cool, but Zeo Blast looks so OP! I'd just keep Zeo Blasting until the Morpher ability wore off, then I'd break out the Fire Giants. Maybe the Zeo Blast/Repeater Blast damage dice could be changed around or something?

Also, the Party Cannon - what makes it different from Instant Party? Can it be used instantly, with no prep time? That could be cool. Maybe it could also stack with the effects of Instant Party? So if you use the PC and the IP, you get a total of +2 for the morale bonus, and a Magic Point on a 19-20? Maybe you could even get a greater bonus for that combination? Magic Point on a 17/18-20?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:47 pm

Absolutely, all these are extremely rough drafts - nowhere near done. They're just there to remind me of what the basic concept is before they're polished.

Morpher is hilariously unbalanced right now. I just like the idea of turning into something kickass once every three sessions. However, repeater beam definitely could be used to great effect, it can deal a lot of damage and if someone has vulnerability.... Dear god.

Another result of the suits transformation back to normal could be losing all your pips though, if we wanted to encourage using a big X power on the final round.

Party Cannon actually was supposed to be identical to Instant Party. It's a party in a cannon after all. sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:15 pm

I like the Morpher one. (I'm reminded of 'The Legend of Dragoon' for some reason) It seems like it could be pretty easy to implement, and you could make different types too. I like how it would give players the opportunity to play a single battle as a different type of combatant for a change of pace. In fact I think it could also work well as a one-time-use magical potion that you could reward your players with. As it is now, it would be perfect for the party healer to start the battle off with it.

Oh, and does this mean that we might see some sort of 'official' treasure expansion in a couple months? (That would be quite the arduous task)
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 am

SilentBelle wrote:I like the Morpher one. (I'm reminded of 'The Legend of Dragoon' for some reason) It seems like it could be pretty easy to implement, and you could make different types too. I like how it would give players the opportunity to play a single battle as a different type of combatant for a change of pace. In fact I think it could also work well as a one-time-use magical potion that you could reward your players with. As it is now, it would be perfect for the party healer to start the battle off with it.

Glad to hear you like the concept.

SilentBelle wrote:Oh, and does this mean that we might see some sort of 'official' treasure expansion in a couple months? (That would be quite the arduous task)

Yes. Yes you might. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:56 pm

So are items meant to be designed to be exclusively combat gains, exclusively out-of-combat utility gains, or a mixture of both? And are they all restricted to being daily/one use/charge effects, or can they work as a "passive" benefit when equipped?

For example, the following "armor" items could have both utility and combat use, as a passive benefit (due to being "worn"):

Wonderbolts flying suit (Pegasus only)
+4 Initiative
+4 bonus to flying checks, no penalty for freezing conditions, lightning-proof

Pegasus Royal Armor (Pegasus only)
- Toss coin prior to suffering damage, gain 2 Resist if won
- +2 bonus to flying checks, suffer no penalty from physical collisions whilst flying.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Zarhon wrote:So are items meant to be designed to be exclusively combat gains, exclusively out-of-combat utility gains, or a mixture of both? And are they all restricted to being daily/one use/charge effects, or can they work as a "passive" benefit when equipped?

Items can be anything you like. Enjoy designing them. sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Regarding Morpher, why does it have the "once every 3 sessions"? bit? That really makes the thing feel Too Awesome To Use.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Videocrazy wrote:Regarding Morpher, why does it have the "once every 3 sessions"? bit? That really makes the thing feel Too Awesome To Use.

Because I like the idea of some items being serious, "It's Go Time" moments. I like the idea that this item is phenomenally powerful, but has a hefty cooldown time - so you only use it when you really need to. The constant tension of being able to bust it out but usually not wanting to means that players will always have it in reserve when the going gets too tough and allows us to make it a lot more powerful than we would otherwise. It won't be the best for every group, and in general items with X/time-period (like 1/day) encourage their use - which is awesome. This recharge time clearly labels this item as something that is only used in special occasions - which I think is a nice touch to have in our variety of different items.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Zarhon wrote:Wonderbolts flying suit (Pegasus only)
+4 Initiative
+4 bonus to flying checks, no penalty for freezing conditions, lightning-proof

Pegasus Royal Armor (Pegasus only)
- Toss coin prior to suffering damage, gain 2 Resist if won
- +2 bonus to flying checks, suffer no penalty from physical collisions whilst flying.

All of my Wants. Shut up and take my Friendships.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Snaitf Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

@Bronymous
What little you have?! (sorry, had to go there) Razz
@everyone else (including Brony I suppose)
What do you think of this
Dancing Shoes
+3 bonus to any dance related skill
1/battle Smooth Moves
For half of 1d4 rounds (rounded up) all attacks against you carry the blinded trait.

Last edited by Snaitf on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Snaitf
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Snaitf wrote:@everyone else (including Brony I suppose)
What do you think of this
Dancing Shoes
+3 bonus to any dance related skill
1/battle Smooth Moves
For 1d4 rounds all attacks against you carry the blinded trait.

Really cool idea. I think the combat bonus is way strong though. Might be good to nerf it a bit, or make the utility bonus closer to equal if it's supposed to be a super-expensive item.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Snaitf Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Would halving the duration be enough of a nerf to it, or would it still be too strong?

Snaitf
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down