Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curious inquiry on how to go about fighting.

5 posters

Go down

Curious inquiry on how to go about fighting. Empty Curious inquiry on how to go about fighting.

Post  PlayerIII Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Right, I was wondering how you all went about the combat system in terms of labeling attacks enemies use.

If the party were fighting, say, some Timberwolves, and they use an attack, what should I as the DM type/say? (Note this game will be played via Skype)

Would I simply say full out this is its [-2] attack, this is what it is called and also what it does?

Or should I just do the effect? I.E. the damage, or if they were to gain resistance or something.

How do you go about it?
PlayerIII
PlayerIII
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Curious inquiry on how to go about fighting. Empty Re: Curious inquiry on how to go about fighting.

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Personally, I like having players read out their full power - it helps communication and means less work for the DM. Also it's fun to read out what cool power you're using.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Curious inquiry on how to go about fighting. Empty Re: Curious inquiry on how to go about fighting.

Post  SilentBelle Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Also, encourage your players to rename their powers so they suit their characters. It's kind of up to the players to come up with what they are doing in combat. Of course you can always give them suggestion as to what they want to call their moves. (For example my alchemist character uses a move called Exploding Flask instead of Fireball)
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:35 pm

I hate to say it, but I think you guys misread his post. tongue He wasn't asking what you should do as PH when the characters attack, but what to say as PH when enemies attack. I think. Question

Personally, assuming I read that right, I would simply describe a bit of what the creature does when it uses its attack (flavor) and announce any damage and modifiers that you know might apply. For example, if two Gargoyles both use Swipe Claw on the same turn, there's nothing against having one of them swoop down from above to attack a player and having another one use a headbutt on the ground - or even breaking off a pillar nearby and swinging it if you're bringing out a really heavy attack. Just make sure the effects of the attack gameplaywise stay exactly the same, neglecting dice rolls of course. The players don't need to know what those attacks are, they simply need to know that they can trust you to not spontaneously make up some kind of attack on the fly...well, that, and exactly how much damage they're going to take from that stunning pillar strike your Gargoyle just pulled off. Wink

Further Advice for DMing in General:

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:39 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:I hate to say it, but I think you guys misread his post. tongue He wasn't asking what you should do as PH when the characters attack, but what to say as PH when enemies attack. I think. Question .

Ah! If that's the case, I just tell them what's happened to their character. How much damage they take and what status effects they're suffering precisely.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Ah! If that's the case, I just tell them what's happened to their character. How much damage they take and what status effects they're suffering precisely.

See, now here's a guy who knows how not to ramble and how to get straight to the point. Very Happy
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  PlayerIII Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Also, I have another quick question. How does intimidate work in this system? It details skill checks having DC's to overcome to have them pass, but Intimidate usually has you face off against the targets Will or sense motive.

Last edited by PlayerIII on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlayerIII
PlayerIII
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 pm

PlayerIII wrote:But what about from the DM's side? Should I also detail the attack I am using? And if i do, should I say what it does aside from possible damage?

Also, I have another quick question. How does intimidate work in this system? It details skill checks having DC's to overcome to have them pass, but Intimidate usually has you face off against the targets Will or sense motive.

Er... what intimidate? In this system we use persuasion VS perception*. In general just set a DC and a pass/fail. When in doubt do what ever is appropriate.

*certain times you may be able to use one of the knowledge skills if it is a factual lie or use stunts to make a physical threat.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  PlayerIII Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:26 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:
PlayerIII wrote:But what about from the DM's side? Should I also detail the attack I am using? And if i do, should I say what it does aside from possible damage?

Er... what intimidate? In this system we use persuasion VS perception*. In general just set a DC and a pass/fail. When in doubt do what ever is appropriate.

*certain times you may be able to use one of the knowledge skills if it is a factual lie or use stunts to make a physical threat.

There is two instances in the Players Guide that mention Intimidation. One, after reading it again is just a persuasion that is intimidating. but this text here, almost says otherwise:

"Remove all mind-affecting effects from you and all allies in sight. (This works for psychic, intimidation, fear, mind-control… anything that affects the minds of the characters.)"
PlayerIII
PlayerIII
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:36 pm

The second refers to just flavor, similar to 'mind control'. Some versions of persuasion are intimidating, just as some uses of mechanics involve lockpicking.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  PlayerIII Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:30 pm

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. I may be back should I find myself staring blankly at the computer screen for too long again.

Might I say, though. I do highly recommend revamping the Players Guide. I feel it is not as neatly organized as it could be. Then again, just adding a glossary and a fair amount of key terms would be nice, I think.
Sorry if that sounds prudish.
PlayerIII
PlayerIII
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:22 pm

PlayerIII wrote:You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. I may be back should I find myself staring blankly at the computer screen for too long again.

Might I say, though. I do highly recommend revamping the Players Guide. I feel it is not as neatly organized as it could be. Then again, just adding a glossary and a fair amount of key terms would be nice, I think.

If you have more specific suggestions, we'd love to hear them. It's so hard to make a player's handbook when you know all the rules (because you made them). Really hard to see what's confusing and what's not. It'd be great to hear your input.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  PlayerIII Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
PlayerIII wrote:You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. I may be back should I find myself staring blankly at the computer screen for too long again.

If you have more specific suggestions, we'd love to hear them. It's so hard to make a player's handbook when you know all the rules (because you made them). Really hard to see what's confusing and what's not. It'd be great to hear your input.
We just started running our game, so it would be prudent of me to give advice before I know how the game really plays. But, give me a bit for our game to develop and I will definitely throw some helpful advice your guys' way.
PlayerIII
PlayerIII
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Glad to hear it. Happy adventuring.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down