Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friendship is Dragons fandub?

+6
RavenscroftRaven
AProcrastinatingWriter
Brony 7 of 9
LoganAura
A1C Bronymous
The Warrior of Many Faces
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Friendship is Dragons fandub? Empty Friendship is Dragons fandub?

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 am

It's about time somepony got around to it, and it might as well be us. Anypony else interested?

So, roles that I think would need to be filled:

Coordinator: (Preferably someone who knows how to do it, but I can try to figure it out.)
DM: (Somepony snarky is the main requirement here.)
Twilight: (Less work required here, I think; Twilight tends to be the most normal-sounding of the Mane Six.)
Rarity: (Someone who can do that accent would be best, or just somepony who can sound sophisticated.)
Rainbow Dash: (Brash and impatient; shouldn't be overly difficult.)
Fluttershy: (Requires the ability to sound quiet and shy.)
Applejack: (Again, the accent is the key here, although belligerence would be a good thing as well.)
Pinkie Pie: (Cheerful enthusiasm. That is all.)
(Gender is no object, so long as you can get the intonations okay.)

We shouldn't need more than that; the NPCs are pretty much all voiced by the DM anyways. I'm willing to tentatively coordinate (unless somepony else wants the job), and I wouldn't mind voicing the DM. I might be able to pull off an okay RD as well.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Friendship is Dragons fandub? Empty Re: Friendship is Dragons fandub?

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:50 am

MMMMMMmmmm that's really tempting. If I were to do it (definitely not 100% yet), I would have to apply for DM or Rainbow Dash.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 am

I call Pinkie Pie! I'd totally Play her in a real game! Smile
I'll record her introduction as an audition!
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am

I'm an amateur voice actor and would be totally happy to do this. I might record some stuff by Saturday.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Might actually try for Fluttershy, too. Polar opposite of Pinkie, but to hay with it she is my personal best pony.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Literally the only thing preventing me from signing up for this is the fact I only have access to a microphone half the year.

Otherwise I would be

America's Next Top DM
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:41 pm

I'd say Logan and 7 of 9 have the right idea. If you're interested, record the page of that character's intro (unless you're applying for the DM, in which case pick a page you think represents him well) to audition.

Logan, I personally don't see a problem with you trying for both Pinkie and Fluttershy; they share a voice actor anyway, no? :pinkiehappy: :flutteryay:

On another note, looks like I'm acting as a coordinator already, so I might as well call the position. XD
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/px1yp7

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy :3
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 pm

I'll post interest.

Unfortunately, my voice is a manic Flutterguy's, I sing bass, so unless its a parody version that'd be no good for me to try for. Smile

I'll look through and see what I can get. Applejack's min-maxxy-ness calls to me, but my voice is really a narrator's voice. Pages 5 and 151 of the comic have a lot of DM-speech, and so might be good ones to approach for other DM's at it.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 am

Okay, I'm throwing in my two bits (ha!). I'd be more than happy to voice the DM or Fluttershy. Although I don't have a mic now, I'm definitely considering getting one soon. (On that topic, does anyone have suggestions for mic brands or models? Preferably something with a good cheapness-to-quality ratio.)
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:06 am

I use Blue Yeti USB. It's 150 bucks, but compared to others that's a steal for the quality you get.

Also I'll audition for a lot of stuff (DM, Fluttershy, Rainbow, Applejack, Rarity), but I can't go high enough for Pinkie and Twilight will probably come across fine in the DM audition.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm

I ended up not doing Fluttershy because nothing I did sounded "right" for the character. The rest are here.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm

LoganAura wrote:http://www.sendspace.com/file/px1yp7

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy :3

I wound up liking your Fluttershy better than your Pinkie here; I dunno what, but something seemed off about your Pinkie. Pretty good Fluttershy, though. :fluttersmile:

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:I ended up not doing Fluttershy because nothing I did sounded "right" for the character. The rest are here.

I can't say I was a fan of your Rainbow, but you did a fabulous job with Rarity and Applejack, and I think you'd make a good DM as well. I'd be more inclined to give you Rarity or Applejack rather than DM, though, since you did such a good job with them and we've got more people going for DM than for pretty much anypony else.

By the by, guys, feel free to comment on each other's auditions as well if you want. It won't hurt to see multiple opinions on this.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Logan - First off, props for going for Pinkie and Fluttershy, easily two of the highest voices in MLP. I realize, being a dude, that there's no way you can get as high as Andrea Libman, but here are some pointers.

Don't project from your chest. That sounds counterintuitive, I know, but if you're voice acting, the microphone will pick it up unless you are so quiet it can't be heard normally. There are several different locations you can "place" your voice instead - try over the top of your head for Pinkie (think Mickey Mouse) and by the eyes for Fluttershy (it's fairy-like.)

Pinkie may talk quickly, but there's a fine line between quick and unclear. What bugged me most about this is that you rushed through so much that I couldn't understand half of what you were saying. This is a relatively common problem that can be fixed easily - record yourself doing it once, hear it, and fix whatever spot seems unclear. I'd recommend hitting the consonants more. Your speed here is great, but slow down a little - imagine you're Pinkie's player. You'd want the other players at the table to understand you (well, comprehend what you're saying) and hit the consonants more and most of your problems should go away.

Fluttershy sounds more like you're projecting from your throat than Pinkie. I realize that, due to how quiet and breathy she is, it's tempting to "pull back" your voice, as it were, but that sounds weak - and not "helpless" weak, "unimpressive" weak. You can get the quiet volume needed for Fluttershy easily - it just requires you to modify how much resonance you have. Men have much more resonance than women as a whole, so imagine projecting less and using less air. Easily the least convincing female imitations are those that try to manipulate pitch instead, because some women (Andrea Libman is not one of them) actually have a pretty deep voice.

What program do you use to record? I have Audacity ('cause it's cheap as free) and it's relatively easy to edit out lip smacking and intake of breath with that (there's a Silence function, and deleting pauses between phrases can help make Pinkie seem like she talks faster even if you only talk a bit faster than regular).

All this is meant to make you sound better, not to criticize, so while I may be picking out flaws I'm doing it to make sure you get the highest quality recording you can on a budget. Besides, we aren't competing for roles anyway.

If anyone else needs/wants voice direction, don't hesitate to ask!
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:I ended up not doing Fluttershy because nothing I did sounded "right" for the character. The rest are here.

"I am what you call a social rogue, you may call be Cee-Three-Pee-Oh, human-cyborg relations."

Sorry. I couldn't help myself. It's a great voice for her though. In a way, it makes it even better on a deeper level. Like someone trying to sound British, which is exactly what Rarity does: Try to fake a Canterlot accent to sound more important than she is. You've got my vote for Rarity as it stands! I also agree, your Applejack was great!

Logan: Your Fluttershy, I agree, was better than your Pinkie. I'm no conneseur of voices, so I can't say exactly why, but I think it was more appropriate when comparing the two, if I had to pick one.

I have a mild cold right now, so my voice is icky, I can't make a good recording for anything. For fun, however, I can make an exception, so here's a one-try shot at Fluttershy, direct rec'd to soundcloud, no editing:

Linky
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:18 pm

RavenscroftRaven wrote:

"I am what you call a social rogue, you may call be Cee-Three-Pee-Oh, human-cyborg relations."

Sorry. I couldn't help myself. It's a great voice for her though. In a way, it makes it even better on a deeper level. Like someone trying to sound British, which is exactly what Rarity does: Try to fake a Canterlot accent to sound more important than she is. You've got my vote for Rarity as it stands! I also agree, your Applejack was great!

Logan: Your Fluttershy, I agree, was better than your Pinkie. I'm no conneseur of voices, so I can't say exactly why, but I think it was more appropriate when comparing the two, if I had to pick one.

I have a mild cold right now, so my voice is icky, I can't make a good recording for anything. For fun, however, I can make an exception, so here's a one-try shot at Fluttershy, direct rec'd to soundcloud, no editing:

Linky

Oh hey, Flutterguy! Sounds pretty good, too. Very Happy
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Not actually running for it, I think Logan's is better-suited, but I figured it fit enough the "tough guy shy guy" trope to upload anyways.

I tried Rarity but with the cold she sounded Texan, not British, so I'm not going to try 'til it lightens up a tad. Neutral
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Texan?

Applejack.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:18 pm

I tried, and can't seem to recapture it, much to my chagrin. Really, I should only be doing voices I can reliably do when NOT sick anyways. Smile
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 pm

RavenscroftRaven wrote:Not actually running for it, I think Logan's is better-suited, but I figured it fit enough the "tough guy shy guy" trope to upload anyways.

I tried Rarity but with the cold she sounded Texan, not British, so I'm not going to try 'til it lightens up a tad. Neutral
As a Texan I will be the judge of that.

Also, Flutterguy. Flutterguy sounds, as you mentioned, Texan, which is fine, since the role was originally done by a deep-voiced guy, so you can't help but slur vowels and sound "country," so to speak. I realize that you have a cold, but the original Flutterguy was even deeper - James Earl Jones deep. Seeing as you have a cold and (I imagine) do not sound like James Earl Jones in your regular speaking voice I'm not asking you to go deeper for the role (even if you weren't joking,) but for a D&D player the voice actually works much better - I more imagine this sitting down at a table, dining on Twizzlers and Mountain Dew, than I imagine the original Flutterguy.

If you did plan on auditioning with this, rather than recording it as a joke, I would recommend the same thing I would with Logan - the original Flutterguy, under Poison Joke, may have been a booming bass, but Fluttershy here is consistently quiet. Adjust the resonance of your voice so you aren't projecting quite so much, and even if you are about four octaves lower than Andrea Libman, you'll still get the shyness aspect down pat.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:07 am

So that's why your Applejack was good! I was wondering how you sounded so authentic in that bit. I still think your Rarity was really awesome too. Rule 63, clearly in effect here. We've got an Applejack/Elusive, a Butterscotch, we just need Dusk Shine, a Bubble Berry, and a Rainbow Blitz. Best party ever! (We probably will need multiple voices by one, since there isn't exactly a plethora of volunteers here).

Yes, flutterguy's canon voice was meant to sound like James Earl Jones, I'm pretty sure that was fully intentional by the staff. If it winds up being the same voice-messing in the comic, we may need to recruit a female alto to "reverse" Flutters voice for that bit. Very Happy

My voice cracks if I stray too far in either direction from that right now, which annoys me. I basically am stuck with a half-octave range centered around that voice. I have a pretty good range on a normal day, about two octaves and another octave in falsetto... So lack of range is annoying to say the least. When I make the rest of them I'll have a Flutterguy Evil Enchantress included, if I'm up for lower-register singing.

Ditching a bombastic quality to my performance voice is tricksy, but something I think I can do if I focus on it. But again, 'twas a joke just to stay in the participation loop and have people able to laugh with me too.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:13 am

Actually, we might want Rainbow, at the very least, a girl. "Barbarian Lady" is a canon line.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 pm

LoganAura wrote:Actually, we might want Rainbow, at the very least, a girl. "Barbarian Lady" is a canon line.

Hmm... problem being we've not had any girls apply for the position. I agree that it would be ideal for that to happen, but at this point, unless any of you guys know a girl from elsewhere who can do it, we may not be able to...

Anyways, here's where we stand right now:

Auditioned:
DM: Brony 7 of 9, RavenscroftRaven, RavenscroftRaven again
Twilight: RavenscroftRaven
Rarity: Brony 7 of 9, RavenscroftRaven
Rainbow: Brony 7 of 9, RavenscroftRaven
Fluttershy: LoganAura
Pinkie: LoganAura
Applejack: Brony 7 of 9, RavenscroftRaven

Expressed Interest But Haven't Auditioned Yet:
DM: Bronymous, JasonShadow
Twilight:
Rarity:
Rainbow: Bronymous
Fluttershy: JasonShadow
Pinkie:
Applejack:

So from what I can see, what we really need is a Twilight. If push really came to shove, we could work with what we've got now if we had a Twilight. Now, I know that Raven at least is auditioning once he's no longer sick, so that should help, but I don't know if he's auditioning for Twilight. That said, I might be able to do Twilight if necessary (if the Personality Test is anything to go by).

Last edited by The Warrior of Many Faces on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 pm

DM and Rainbow were pretty close to my actual voice, and given that my Rainbow wasn't the best I don't imagine that me auditioning for Twilight would to much.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 am

I can try a Twilight interpretation or two. It's not that much extra time once you're already recording. My throat's clearing up, I should be able to record something tomorrow evening, though it might be as late as Wednesday.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum