Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friendship is Dragons fandub?

+6
RavenscroftRaven
AProcrastinatingWriter
Brony 7 of 9
LoganAura
A1C Bronymous
The Warrior of Many Faces
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Friendship is Dragons fandub? - Page 2 Empty Re: Friendship is Dragons fandub?

Post  RavenscroftRaven Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:42 am

I hope you like link-storms!

I apologize for breaths being left in, in advance: I got "life" dumped on me. Blargh, these past two weeks have been the Worst. Possible. Weeks! In summary, then, these are more slapdash than Derpy's building repairs. But we can have fun regardless. And I STILL can't get back that accent! It haz abandoned me! In that regard, I do not submit an AJ application.

As an aside, looking in the comic, AJ's look in the final panel of comic 13 is great.

the DM: I think mine are worse than Brony's, but two renditions anyways, so we have due process: A generic more shy DM and a more involved one.

http://soundcloud.com/ravenscroftalpha/generic-soft-dm

http://soundcloud.com/ravenscroftalpha/generic-darker-dm

Twilight: I purposefully went away from Twilight in-universe, as the character in the show and comic are quite changed.

http://soundcloud.com/ravenscroftalpha/twily-audi

Rarity: You know, you can't NOT sound like C3PO, apparently that is Rarity. I owe you an apology 7/9.

http://soundcloud.com/ravenscroftalpha/a-social-rogue

Rainbow Dash: Uniquely, I tried really hard NOT to try for her, since she herself isn't trying at all:

http://soundcloud.com/ravenscroftalpha/the-untrying-minmaxer

My "giving up" speech for AJ: http://soundcloud.com/ravenscroftalpha/aj-accent-test

If you think a voice would better suit a different character, or if I somehow in my sleep deprivation missed half the clip's accent, or something stupid like that, just let me know. Smile

Also, in doing Rainbow's lines, I found a solution to the gender thing: the gender of the players is never revealed. RD can be a barbarian lady while her player is male. ESPECIALLY since the DM handed out the characters, so the players has no choice but to play in a Pink Bishoujo Ghetto.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 pm

I could find good things in both DM auditions, but I think I prefer the "soft" one. The "darker" one seems... I don't know, more overdramatic. Which may be what we're looking for in a DM, but I prefer a "real person" voice. Going silly is easy - making a believable character with your voice is hard. Again, it all depends on what we're looking for in a DM.

Twilight Sparkle sounds like someone who would actually be playing D&D, and seems to fit Spud's version of the character well from what I can tell. Nice job!

You sound less like C-3PO than I do for Rarity, but that's probably because I move my voice into the Anthony Daniels range and kind of have his speech pattern. Depending on what we're looking for it sounds fine - we discussed earlier that Rarity is trying for a Canterlot accent, and is really from Ponyville - I can hear bits and pieces of American in the audition, so that becomes much clearer.

I do prefer this Rainbow to mine, but I think she can be a pinch more aggressive, and maybe a little bit whiny? After all, this campaign really isn't for her. And while I like the direction you're going in, I think that Rainbow would be more involved if they're in the middle of action, or anything involving her - most players of that archetype seem to be.

Applejack's accent is kind of hard to do - it's a mix of "real" southern accents, with a bit of Louisiana/East Texas meets North Texas/Oklahoma. Most Texans blur their vowels together (Ay-ee in say, for example), and Applejack opens her mouth more (West Texans live in arid country and don't really open their mouth so as not to get dust in). All this is to say that Applejack's accent is "Texan as done by a Canadian" and you shouldn't feel to bad for not getting it.

Keep in mind that all these are ideas that you don't have to follow if you don't want to.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:35 am

But I AM "Texan as done by a Canadian". Laughing 'Course, she's a Vancouverite, so she's a lot closer to redneck country than us Ontarians. Why oil reserves and the prototypical "southern drawl" seem to go hand-in-hand I will never know, Alberta and Texas are really pretty different outside that variable, but despite being so far north... She's probably actually mixing in an Albertan accent, in retrospect. (You can open your mouth more up north, but only in summer. In winter, there's a saying in the prairies: "Don't breathe the air". It's actually possibly lethal to breathe the air in winter. Leads to weird prairie accents.)

I can't do Pinkie exactly because of "full-on silly". Also, I'm not good with reciting verse in unrhymed iambic meter.

:Twilightsheepish: Heh, I know I need work, I am no voice actor (as awesome as that would be). To be honest, from our perspective, there's only one accent down there. "Southern". We call it different things, but if we heard someone from East Texas and West Texas and Alabama, we'd say they're the same accent. Kind of like how "Canadian" is an accent, despite the fact no Canadians alive have that accent unless mocking a USAer. It's pure luck if a Canadian nails a "real" regional southern accent, trust me.

Upon re-listening, I hear where you're coming from with RD. I'll maybe look into a re-recording, see if I can add some aggro. It isn't really a whiny scene for her in my opinion so much as an aggressive one, so I'll work on adding that angle. She is a showboat type, I can see how things will go if they hit the running of the leaves or something with the min-maxer and the pure gamist going at it. We're just looking for a variety of voices, after all. We should get others in on it, just 3 people is easier to organize, but not as fun as a big group. bounce Fun! Fufufun! Fun! Fun Fun! Fun! FUN! Fun! Fun funfun! Fun! :pinkiecrazy:
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:53 pm

RavenscroftRaven wrote:

Also, in doing Rainbow's lines, I found a solution to the gender thing: the gender of the players is never revealed. RD can be a barbarian lady while her player is male. ESPECIALLY since the DM handed out the characters, so the players has no choice but to play in a Pink Bishoujo Ghetto.

Makes sense, and that does make things a lot easier.

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:I could find good things in both DM auditions, but I think I prefer the "soft" one. The "darker" one seems... I don't know, more overdramatic. Which may be what we're looking for in a DM, but I prefer a "real person" voice. Going silly is easy - making a believable character with your voice is hard. Again, it all depends on what we're looking for in a DM.

I liked the darker one better in general. The thing is, though, that both voices work at different parts of the comics. Maybe use the soft one in general, but make him try overdramatically for pages like this one? I dunno if that'd work, though. Thoughts?

I do think that I like this DM voice better than Brony's as a whole, though.

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:Twilight Sparkle sounds like someone who would actually be playing D&D, and seems to fit Spud's version of the character well from what I can tell. Nice job!

I agree. Very Happy Sounded almost like a watered-down Trixie for some reason, but that actually kinda works.

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:

You sound less like C-3PO than I do for Rarity, but that's probably because I move my voice into the Anthony Daniels range and kind of have his speech pattern. Depending on what we're looking for it sounds fine - we discussed earlier that Rarity is trying for a Canterlot accent, and is really from Ponyville - I can hear bits and pieces of American in the audition, so that becomes much clearer.

I do kinda like this one better than Brony's Rarity. Brony's was excellent, but for some reason, you don't sound like you're trying as hard to do that accent. It's more natural, so it sounds better overall.

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:
I do prefer this Rainbow to mine, but I think she can be a pinch more aggressive, and maybe a little bit whiny? After all, this campaign really isn't for her. And while I like the direction you're going in, I think that Rainbow would be more involved if they're in the middle of action, or anything involving her - most players of that archetype seem to be.

Definitely agreed. I liked this Rainbow better than Brony's, but more aggressiveness given the scene would work wonders.

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:Applejack's accent is kind of hard to do - it's a mix of "real" southern accents, with a bit of Louisiana/East Texas meets North Texas/Oklahoma. Most Texans blur their vowels together (Ay-ee in say, for example), and Applejack opens her mouth more (West Texans live in arid country and don't really open their mouth so as not to get dust in). All this is to say that Applejack's accent is "Texan as done by a Canadian" and you shouldn't feel to bad for not getting it.

That Applejack wasn't bad, but I liked Brony's a lot better.

RavenscroftRaven wrote: We should get others in on it, just 3 people is easier to organize, but not as fun as a big group. bounce Fun! Fufufun! Fun! Fun Fun! Fun! FUN! Fun! Fun funfun! Fun! :pinkiecrazy:

That'd definitely be good. I think we've tapped out the interest in this forum, but if you know anypony else that might be interested, feel free to try to get 'em here. I'll do the same, although nopony comes to mind at the moment.

Note that I've edited my "Where we stand" post to reflect Raven's auditions.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm

so...
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Shall we assume that nopony's been able to find anypony who was interested?
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't know anyone who'd be willing to do this in person, or elsewhere.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:03 am

Hey, I don't know if the roles are set or what, but I could give Rarity a shot. Not expecting much, my voice is not very suited for this. Just thought I'd give it a shot. Is that alright?
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Subjectz wrote:Hey, I don't know if the roles are set or what, but I could give Rarity a shot. Not expecting much, my voice is not very suited for this. Just thought I'd give it a shot. Is that alright?

More people are always good! Go ahead and record, nothing's really set at the moment. Very Happy
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Snarky?
I can do snark.
I'm great at Snark!
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:Snarky?
I can do snark.
I'm great at Snark!

I'm not sure which role you're referring to (I'd guess DM, though), but if you want to try out, feel free! We could use some more people here.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Legendary Star King Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:30 am

Had I the recorder, I would gladly voice the dragon from Dragonshy. That, or creature sounds. I can do a mean 'Gears of War' Wretch impression, which is no easy feat.

Legendary Star King
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2