Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Build A Bear

3 posters

Go down

Build A Bear Empty Build A Bear

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 am

Working on a build for a NPC Fluttershy and was a little disappointed that the only traditional animal was a Rabbit. So I set about working on a bear summon. Probably incredibly flawed but putting it up here for critique.

[-4] Conjure Bear - Standard Utility
You conjure an allied Bear. It has the following stat block:
Bear - 10 HP
Trait - Smarter Than the Average
If the Bear is afflicted by a blind, confuse, or domination affect, it may roll a saving throw with a +2 bonus at the start of its turn. If successful, it removes the effect and gains 1d4 pips.

[0] Fistful of Hunny - Standard Attack
The Bear deals 1d10 damage to target creature. If it rolls 5 or higher, that creature loses 1 pip and the Bear gains 1 pip.

[-3] Mama Bear - Interrupt Attack
Trigger – An enemy damages one of the Bear's allies with an attack.
Effect – The Bear deals 2d12 damage to the triggering enemy.

Alternate name concept for Mama Bear would be Ursa? Major.

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Build A Bear Empty Re: Build A Bear

Post  SilentBelle Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Simply put, the bear isn't good enough. Up it's damage to 1d10 maybe. Then make it's Mamma Bear attack be an interrupt that costs 3 pips. I think that would be worth the 4 pips. That said, it's kind of bland as is. I don't know what sort of function to give it to make it feel more Bear-ish.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:44 am

Out of curiosity, is there any sort of (publicly released) metric for calculating combat talent costs? I sort of erred on the side of pricing things too high so it could be buffed if needed rather than price it too low. Only one I know of is that Minor versions of a Standard tend to be an additional -3.

As far as ideas for making it more bear-ish, I was contemplating adding,
Trait - Hibernation
At the start of the Bear's turn, if it is dazed or stunned, gain 2 regeneration (save ends) and remove the effect. If already benefiting from 2 or higher regeneration, gain 1d4 pips instead
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 am

Okay, ever combat metric I know:
3 pips is worth ever so slightly less than a standard action. This is why all the [+3] moves do very little aside from giving you 3 pips.

The basic move is this:
[0] basic attack- standard action
deal 1d14 damage to target creature.
I know the 1d14 doesn't exist, but that's what it is. The average value of 1d14 is 7.5, so a better way to describe this factoid is that the average damage per round, based more or less on spamming this move, is 8

The best way to extrapolate the metric from there is to look at combat talents that already exist. Think about the number of turns it takes to build up to the move (by spamming [+3] moves to practically waste turns) compared to the average amount of damage it should do. You should be able to piece things together from that.

Oh, right, and the average healing per round is 16, approximately double the DPR (Damage per round)
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down