Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Build Challenge - DPR Kings

+8
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Doc pseudopolis
Mind Gamer
Zarhon
Ramsus
A1C Bronymous
Stairc -Dan Felder
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Build Challenge - DPR Kings Empty Build Challenge - DPR Kings

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

The Goal
Make a character that can deal more damage to a single creature over the course of a 5 round combat than any other character in the game.

The Purpose
Challenge your optimization skills, enjoy building cool characters and stress test the system - revealing the most broken elements of the game.

The Rewards
If you make a character that rules its DPR level category, your build and name will be listed on the DPR King Leader Board in this thread.

If you make a character so powerful that it shatters the system and makes us developers revise the talents/traits/items in question to make things more fair - you will receive a public badge of honor that proclaims you as an optimization king.

The Rules
Build a character using standard rules and level-appropriate gold amounts. Anything in any *official* handbook or expansion is legal. Third party stuff isn't allowed.

The King stands alone. Don't expect or account for any help from any other character. Your king must dish out the damage on his own.

There will be a DPR King for levels 1, 3, 6 and 10. Submit your builds to this thread of the appropriate levels. You can submit to one or more categories and you can submit multiple builds. However you must include...

1) A link to your character sheet in Google Drive (don't forget to change the sharing settings). You needn't have anything but the combat stuff completed, as the rest of the character sheet doesn't affect combat.

2) A written explanation in the submission post that explains precisely how the DPR is generated turn-by-turn over the 5 rounds.

3) A clear list of the DPR (damage per round - total up the damage dealt over 5 rounds by your character and then divide by 5) generated by your character.

The Judgment
This is an official yet informal challenge. After enough builds to construct a reliable leader board have been checked - I or another moderator will begin compiling the list of DPR Kings. In the meanwhile, make sure you audit one another's builds to make sure there are no rules issues that preclude your builds from greatness.

Enjoy. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Build Challenge - DPR Kings Empty Re: Build Challenge - DPR Kings

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Man, if that had come up, like, 6 months ago, I'd have a good one for you.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Do thematthew and I automatically just get the reward for our Derpy's Lightning build of doom? (I know it's around somewhere.) =P
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:10 pm

You'll need to submit it here. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:52 pm

A few questions!

1) Warlord abilities and other such things that "grant" damage to an (otherwise completely inactive) ally, or that require an ally target, are not counted /useless for the purpose of this challenge, correct?

2) Is the damage counted as maximum die values, or averages of dies? Cause there's quite a world of difference between doing flat, guaranteed damage, and rolling a d6, d8, d12, d20...

3) When dealing with randomness or unreliable effects (coin tosses, random effects, random targeting), do we assume only the wanted effects happen (e.g. you don't miss whilst blinded...), or do we roll on it (which sort of defeats the purpose of the challenge and makes it literally luck based)?

4) How are AOE attacks counted? Is this a 1on1 fight against a single opponent, or can it theoretically have infinite targets to choose from, in which case damage against such is taken into account, either individually, or as a whole?

5) How are conjurations you make treated? Can they be counted as "allies" for this challenge (for warlord abilities, for example)?

6) Does our "opponent" get to act against us with dealing damage (for purpose of reactions and interrupts, or do they just sit like a punching bag?

7) Can we assume characters start out as "bloodied", or are under a status condition we don't cause ourselves?

8 ) Do save ends effects on self/enemies count for as long as we want them to (so the enemy might save against an effect on demand, or never save, or you never save against an effect you put on yourself, or immediately save against it...)?

9) Does the targeted enemy count as "bloodied" at any point, or under a save ends condition that we didn't cause first?

10) How do we treat special moves? Do they trigger every time, on every valid roll, or never?

Last edited by Zarhon on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:07 pm

I like to think that when the DPR and Nuke Kings have been crowned, they'll be sent up against the Immortal King. Perfect offense versus perfect defense. Which half is more broken?
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:13 pm

I've got a Build for consideration.
Level 6 DPR king candidate build, Red Sun:
This build is focused on hitting the target multiple times in a turn and rapidly increasing an ongoing damage effect applied to the target. The first turn should be: Charm (targeting self), Blood pact and Blood is power which should end with the target Suffering ongoing damage 7 while the user should still have charm and ongoing to maximise damage, since charm flat out prevents you from attacking yourself Frenzy when used in subsequent turns should only be able to target the opponent (assuming I have no misunderstood). On turns 2-5 you should start by applying the Blood pact before the rapid recovery in order to minimise life loss, then use the 3 energy gained to attack once with Firebolt and twice with Frenzy.
Approximate turn schedule:
Your Turn 1: Charm targeting self, Blood pact, Blood is power (You: ongoing 7, cannot attack self. Target: Ongoing 7)
Target turn 1: takes 7 damage (Round 1 Total: 7 damage)
Your turn 2: ongoing 7, blood pact (2), Firebolt+gusher, Frenzy+gusher X 2 (Deal 6D8+3D4, increase ongoing by 6)
Target turn 2: ongoing 13 (Round 2 total: 20 damage+6D8+3D4)
Your turn 3: ongoing 7, blood pact (2), Firebolt+gusher, Frenzy+gusher X 2 (Deal 6D8+3D4, increase ongoing by 6)
Target turn 3: ongoing 19 (Round 3 total: 39 damage+12D8+6D4)
Your turn 4: ongoing 7, blood pact (2), Firebolt+gusher, Frenzy+gusher X 2 (Deal 6D8+3D4, increase ongoing by 6)
Target turn 4: ongoing 25 (Round 4 total: 64 damage+18D8+9D4)
Your turn 5: ongoing 7, blood pact (2), Firebolt+gusher, Frenzy+gusher X 2 (Deal 6D8+3D4, increase ongoing by 6)
Target turn 5: ongoing 31 (Round 5 total: 95 damage+24D8+12D4)
Estimated minimum total damage: 131 (95[ongoing total damage]+24[D8]+12[D4])
Both ongoing damage and directly inflicted damage would increase if Specials are applied each turn.
I believe I can increase the damage totals further by replacing firebolt with blind rage and sink your teeth in with Blind-fighting (+64 direct damage through blind rage [two frenzies after blind rage turn two, then 3 frenzies turns 3-5] in exchange for replacing one 2d8 turn 2 for a 1d12 and reducing the ongoing damage by 2 [95 to 93]) but it would place further assumption on both the user and the target repeatedly failing saving throws and as such would probably be more suited for a level 10 build.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:56 pm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o9_NPd5HIe3QMfhJjWNTnFv8Lf2C1hJ4L0QkMpOAG-4/edit

The build is a level 10 DPR build focusing on Vorpal Sword and Gold Is Power. Though it has little defense, it can get Vorpal Sword off twice in five moves, making it good against both solo monsters and large groups.

Items the build has
Amulet of Adrenaline
Greater Reloader
Hawkeye

Special Move
8: Deal 1d8 damage to target creature and each creature adjacent to the target.
10: Deal 2d8 damage to target creature and that creature is blinded until the end of your next turn.
12: Deal 2d10 damage to up to six creatures and 1d10 damage to yourself.

The build works like this
Before battle: Amulet of Adrenaline allows you to start the battle with 7 pips
1. Hawkeye on target, Vorpal Sword doing 8d20 damage(+1d6 for hawkeye), so 9 if all 1's and 166 if all crits, vorpal crits allows the activation of all special moves(On average should be hitting at least one crit. Which should in turn activate more crits thanks to blaze.)
When done, Greater Reloader.
End with Pips =5

2. Use Psychic anomaly to give target vul 4, and then redirect focus to daze self.
End Pips = 8

3. Repeat turn 1 without the reloader and with +4 damage
End pips = 1

4. Use Lightning Bolt: 1d10+7
Ends pips = 0

5: Stab: 1d10
End pips = 1

It does rely pretty heavily on chaining with blaze, but it can do a decent amount of damage over the five turns.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Zarhon wrote:A few questions!

1) Warlord abilities and other such things that "grant" damage to an (otherwise completely inactive) ally, or that require an ally target, are not counted /useless for the purpose of this challenge, correct?

2) Is the damage counted as maximum die values, or averages of dies? Cause there's quite a world of difference between doing flat, guaranteed damage, and rolling a d6, d8, d12, d20...

3) When dealing with randomness or unreliable effects (coin tosses, random effects, random targeting), do we assume only the wanted effects happen (e.g. you don't miss whilst blinded...), or do we roll on it (which sort of defeats the purpose of the challenge and makes it literally luck based)?

4) How are AOE attacks counted? Is this a 1on1 fight against a single opponent, or can it theoretically have infinite targets to choose from, in which case damage against such is taken into account, either individually, or as a whole?

5) How are conjurations you make treated? Can they be counted as "allies" for this challenge (for warlord abilities, for example)?

6) Does our "opponent" get to act against us with dealing damage (for purpose of reactions and interrupts, or do they just sit like a punching bag?

7) Can we assume characters start out as "bloodied", or are under a status condition we don't cause ourselves?

8 ) Do save ends effects on self/enemies count for as long as we want them to (so the enemy might save against an effect on demand, or never save, or you never save against an effect you put on yourself, or immediately save against it...)?

9) Does the targeted enemy count as "bloodied" at any point, or under a save ends condition that we didn't cause first?

10) How do we treat special moves? Do they trigger every time, on every valid roll, or never?

1) This is a 1-on-1 battle. If you need other players around, like for warlord abilities, you don't qualify as the king. A support-king would be awesome, but that's a different contest.

2) Expected value - meaning the 'average' result of a die in question. D6 is worth 3.5, d8 is 4.5 etc.

3) Everything is based on expected value. If you're blinded, you need to expect to miss half your future attacks - so cut the damage in half.

4) I suggest reading the Goal again.

5) You can certainly make conjurations (they're spawned by your powers). Basically, you're doing this 1 on 1. So if you make your own conjurations, you can use ally-based powers on them.

6) This is a punching bag challenge.

7) You start out at max HP and no conditions. Everyone starts at equal footing.

Cool Again, expected value. You don't get to assume a best-case scenario.

9) The target is of infinite hp punching bag.

10) Expected value. Every time you roll a d8, you have a 1/8 chance of triggering the move. That's the value your d8 roll provides.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NfTuA-qO6IU6QqB6OLRhK_ac76jRYw5RnV1cd8Fc7tM/edit

I solemnly promise that I had this idea before I saw Hayate's Build. I've had it ever since I noticed that with Rapid Recovery, Amulet of Rapid Recovery, Chain of the Drunken Master, Trance, and Redirect Focus, you could pull off a <roll twice> Snicker-Snack Every other turn. My only limit was that Gold is Power was only takeable once, which I thought was on purpose to avoid this build and really make Vorpal Sword the Be-All End-All of your items if you chose to use it.

But that was not the case, so behold, my Level 10 championship contender.

How long until this thing closes, anyways?

Last edited by sunbeam on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:58 am

sunbeam wrote:How long until this thing closes, anyways?
It shall always, always be open. I'm just going to give it a while before I post the initial leaderboards - else I'd be updating constantly.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Here's my level 3 build, the "Bloody Spellblade", utilizing the Gusher trait to its maximum potential.

Bloody Spellblade - lvl3:

The flaws or unreliability of this build can be negated in the higher-level versions (in the form of save ends-penalties for the enemy, using plaguebearer armor to give the enemy your 2 ongoing damage, or Demonscale (this makes barter in blood unable to trigger due to resist, however, so you need to substitute it with "Blood is Power", doing 5 ongoing damage to self and the enemy), or getting the Sense Weakness, Hex, Surefire Hex, or Second Chance traits.

I think I'll make a higher-level version later.

Edit: Are spoiler tags enough, or do we need to make a google doc version?

Edit edit: Whoops, forgot to add a trait! Builds still in construction, this needs some statistics done! Until it is, I'll be adding "second chance" as a placeholder.

Last edited by Zarhon on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 9 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 pm

You have two traits at level 3, so you can pick something else to strengthen the build, since you only have gusher right now.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:08 pm

sunbeam wrote:You have two traits at level 3, so you can pick something else to strengthen the build, since you only have gusher right now.
Oh? Missed that! I will then.

Last edited by Zarhon on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Zarhon wrote:
sunbeam wrote:You have two traits at level 3, so you can pick something else to strengthen the build, since you only have gusher right now.
I'd suggest using Blood of The Wolf. So that the build doesn't kill you so quickly... After all no point being a king if you pass out after those five turns.

Or go with the Hex option for trait to help with the roll outcome issue.

Last edited by Xel Unknown on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
Zarhon wrote:
I'd suggest using Blood of The Wolf. So that the build doesn't kill you so quickly... After all no point being a king if you pass out after those five turns.
Well, it works for the challenge, and you can always succeed a save after your 5th turn... It's more of an issue if it happens before that.

Hmmm. I'm not sure on the math, but the following two seem like good choices:

Sense Weakness:
- This would essentially add +2 to blood slash, heartseeker and lightning bolt (Barter with Blood doesn't count, it's not an attack), once I apply Barter with Blood, but do nothing if the enemy saves against it. If my math is right, it would lead to 6 instances of vuln being triggered, so a flat increase of 12 damage.

Or

Second Chance:
- This would pretty much negate the problem of the enemy saving against Barter with Blood, or me saving against Blood slash, meaning I've got a fully reliable build. And if the save ends rerolls aren't required thanks to luck, it can be utilized to boost your damage dies on turn 5 (when save ends are done). I have no idea how this translates statistically though, or whether its better/worse than the Sense Weakness.

Which of the two would be better for the overall DPR, statistically? A +2 to damage for 90% of the build's individual attacks, providing +12 damage total (but relying on Barter with Blood), or a improvement of both of the "save ends" odds / damage roll boost, which the build relies on? Any statistics buffs around?

Last edited by Zarhon on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Another option is taking the Hex trait...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Another option is taking the Hex trait...
I considered that - but it only affects barter in blood (blood slash doesn't count - I'm not my own enemy), and it's only -3. I think an outright re-roll is stronger, odds wise, especially since you can re-roll it more than once, in a row, if needed.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 am

A DPR challenge, huh? I think I've got a level 10 that I'm using that I can dig up and present...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:38 am

Zarhon wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:Another option is taking the Hex trait...
I considered that - but it only affects barter in blood (blood slash doesn't count - I'm not my own enemy), and it's only -3. I think an outright re-roll is stronger, odds wise, especially since you can re-roll it more than once, in a row, if needed.
I argue that Hex is better for it's upgradeableness at later levels... But I guess you've got a point the re-roll power could be a lot more useful overall.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:41 am

I think the re-roll trait is better at level 3, but the level 5 &6 traits could be persistent and surefire hex. I'm not sure if it's worth it, though, since it only adds about 7.5 damage to the build.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:44 am

Well, there are multiple levels to the challenge, aren't there... As in, the Level 3 challenge (I believe that's the one...) is only for characters at that level. Possible future upgrades don't count. However, given there's a seperate Level 6 challenge, the Hex upgrade build could be better there.
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Revised the gusher build a bit, thanks to some Skype suggestions:
- replaced "Heartseeker" with "Firebolt", giving it a slightly lower damage output and a few pips "wasted", but a higher/better special move value (2d8, so a 25% chance of getting a d8 crit, which gives 1d12 damage) and allowing me to reapply Barter In Blood for when the enemy saves against it, thanks to the lower pip cost.
- Added "Second Chance", for the purpose of keeping "Gusher" active, keeping Barter in Blood active, or boosting damage rolls at turn 5 (in that order).
- There are now two possible options to use at Turn 4, depending on the pip count, and whether BiB effect or your ongoing damage is up: A choice between using Firebolt (for more damage) or Blood Slash (to have pips for a Firebolt on turn 5 or to keep BiB up).

Bloody Spellblade revised - lvl3:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:48 am

Behold, High Roller and weep! (thematthew and I worked on this one together a long time ago. thematthew supplied the math analysis but, it doesn't include the maths for Second Chance. Also, I'm not sure if this is presented in the way Dan likes. So any help with those two issues would be appreciated. I imagine the math on using Second Chance intelligently might be kinda hard.)

Edit: This submission is for level 3.

Edit 2: Looks like the math is a bit off, for some reason thematthew must have forgotten that Critical Blow would also gain the benefit of Unacceptable (and possibly Fool Me Twice). Nvm, just misread things.

Maths:

Last edited by Ramsus on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:18 am

I was going to say that Unacceptable and Fool me Twice can't combo... But after a re-read of that one... It's wording does allow such a combo... Cuase you don't auto-reroll on 1s now.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next