Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Combat Talents] "What is overshadowed, underpowered, impractical?" - discussions

+10
Kindulas
Dusk Raven
Stairc -Dan Felder
Nehiel Mori
A1C Bronymous
Philadelphus
ZamuelNow
Paper Shadow
Ramsus
Zarhon
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[Combat Talents] "What is overshadowed, underpowered, impractical?" - discussions Empty [Combat Talents] "What is overshadowed, underpowered, impractical?" - discussions

Post  Zarhon Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:36 am

We all know the various "must have", or "overpowered" talent picks. But what about the others, the ones that are rarely picked for various reasons? Discuss whatever combat talents you consider either neglected, inefficient to use, impractical, or otherwise "not worth picking", compared to other options.

Here are the talents I consider fit in such a category:
Spoiler:

Note: The above stuff is my personal opinion / basic observations / experience - feel free to correct/criticize with your own opinions/experience.

P.S: I'll be making a similar thread for combat traits and combat items later, for discussing the other combat-oriented stuff. Stick to combat talents for this one.

Last edited by Zarhon on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

[Combat Talents] "What is overshadowed, underpowered, impractical?" - discussions Empty Re: [Combat Talents] "What is overshadowed, underpowered, impractical?" - discussions

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:42 am

Why aren't Charm and the Paranoia-likes on that list?
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

[Combat Talents] "What is overshadowed, underpowered, impractical?" - discussions Empty Re: [Combat Talents] "What is overshadowed, underpowered, impractical?" - discussions

Post  Zarhon Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:54 am

Ramsus wrote:Why aren't Charm and the Paranoia-likes on that list?
Probably because I missed them (took me an hour to do the ones above, give me a break!), or didn't find anything wrong with them, personally. Feel free to point out anything you think is wrong/missed - that's what the thread is for. I can't do all the pointing-out. Very Happy 

Charm does seem a bit inefficient as a standard action, but also seems blatantly broken if set as a minor. Not sure how one would go utilizing it, but I think there might be combos that benefit it. Hard to say.

Paranoia seems pretty good if you ask me - pip boosting and an enemy suffers for it (which for strong enemies can be quite a bit). The only downside of that is they pick the talent, and they probably get pips out of the deal.

I'll be making threads for the items/traits at a later time - gonna be busy soon and it will probably take a while to type it out.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:54 am

Honestly, I'm not sure Charm can be fixed to be viable in this system. It's a waste of time and pips as a Standard and I can only imagine someone would cause something terrible to happen if it was a Minor you could actually afford to use. I suppose there might be hope for it as a Reaction? (Not a Free Action or Interrupt though.)

As for Paranoia, it causes the enemies to gain pips by doing the minimal possible damaging effect they can do to each other. On average this is going to be more detrimental to the party than to the enemies. I still think it'd be a pretty simple fix to just have the enemies not gain pips that way.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 am

Paranoia can be more useful if you do a Minor Attack into Throw the Gauntlet into Paranoia. Since the enemy makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target, the attack procs the 2d10 damage...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 am

Paranoia can also be rather useful against minions - they usually don't have any [-] pip attacks (since they don't live long enough to use them), and generally have a fixed amount of damage they can inflict, or annoying stuff like status effects. One minion can thus kill another at little downside, or put a "unique" status effect on their leader. And if the boss has some kind of reactive, damaging trait, it can even lead to a "suicide". Same applies if you force an attack against a "kamikaze" type mob. There's also the fact that the enemies are usually limited in their abilities by pip costs - if their pips puts them into position to only use a pip booster attack, or a minus attack (due to having only pip booster utilities rather than attacks), they HAVE to use that, even if its detrimental (e.g. an aoe attack against a bunch of minions).

As for charm, you could technically combo it with gather energy (for instance, with perfect focus). Since it's a save-ends condition, it can last more than one round, so it's not a waste under the assumtion they can't save against it. In fact, it might render an enemy incapable of attacking you for an entire fight, if you are lucky. It also serves the purpose of applying a save-ends condition for any effects that require them on a target. You can also place the effect on yourself/allies for transferal purposes, or to prevent friendly fire from random-creature abilities.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:25 pm

The Martyr’s Blessing <-> Defender exchange is sort of interesting. I think it's a situation where the way a move was used (minor versus interrupt) is actually supposed to be part of each move's use based on things like daze, traits, weapons, etc.

Grace seems to have two things in mind. First, despite being a low amount, it's a non-random healing amount. Second, it hits all alies (barring a summon heavy team). Not saying it doesn't need a buff, just looking at the possible intent behind it.

I've always viewed the rez in IT IS NOT THIS DAY! as the side effect and the actual effect is access to the Special of choice for a player. Any buffs on this move may be stifled until the discussion of Special Move balance starts back up.

I'm curious what people would suggest for buffing Death’s Scythe and Granite Axe since their options seem interesting in concept.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Zarhon wrote:Here are the talents I consider fit in such a category:

[+3] Take Aim - Standard Utility
You may reroll all 1s on your next attack.
The gained benefit isn't worth it, compared to other pip boosters, as it does nothing a majority of the time, and is useless with the "unacceptable" trait. It probably needs to be ally-castable as well.
Hmmm, I'd have to disagree on this one. I came very, very close to taking it in my current game. [+3] talents by definition don't do a lot, and it serves as a handy toned-down version of Unacceptable!, leaving you free to take another trait instead. If I hadn't decided to go for a special-oriented build and taken Critfisher as my [+3], I'd probably have taken this one.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Defender has an advantage of Martyr's blessing in that its reactionary, and you can use it on anyone you need to. Martyr's blessing has to be declared for an ally ahead of time, hoping that that ally will get attacked. But if he doesn't, and someone else does, then you can use Defender as well and save them from the hit. They really should be used in conjunction, assuming you can support the total pip cost with your standard each turn.

Then again, that's all assuming you are expecting to take damage, and have either another interrupt/reaction waiting, or a plan for getting bloodied or ko'd. If you're just trying to deter someone from getting killed this round, then Martyr's blessing is probably better. Or then again, defender, because again you can use it on anyone, and free yourself a minor action ahead of time- or if you didn't get an "ahead of time" yet, and don't have martyr's blessing in place.

You really should just have both.

Last edited by Bronymous on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Death is Power probably should cost 3 pips instead of 4. It grants you a standard action, which is priced at 3 pips.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Smoke Bomb might be cool as some sort of minor action. It'd be awesome with defender shtick.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 am

A proposal to buffing Granite Axe:

Granite Axe - Revised:

A lot of the changes are subtle but based on Zarhon's suggestions.  More focused on better tanking than more damage by changing the reaction to an interrupt, higher base resistance, more temp HP options, and adding a weaken to the ultimate's effect.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 am

ZamuelNow wrote:A proposal to buffing Granite Axe:

Granite Axe - Revised:

A lot of the changes are subtle but based on Zarhon's suggestions.  More focused on better tanking than more damage by changing the reaction to an interrupt, higher base resistance, more temp HP options, and adding a weaken to the ultimate's effect.

Ooh, looks very neat - Now you can do sustainable damage with the interrupt to allow you to use the temp hp to its full value, and earthquake is no longer a guaranteed KO with weakness.

It still suffers from the problem of you not being able to do all that much if you are focused on / fighting solo, though, since you lose your temp hp bonus damage from the attacks, and can't use the interrupt if your allies aren't attacked.

You also still have no way to control/choose who the enemies will attack (other than earthquake).

Maybe grasping granite should include you as well in its trigger? If its a reaction, then that would give you temp hp after the attack, giving you bonus damage/defense afterwards. If its an interrupt, it more or less negates most of the damage it would do.

Or if that's too powerful, give an extra "reaction" that only triggers from you being hit, and is more focused on defense / sustaining your damage, even when you're tanking:

Idea 1:

Idea 2:

Hmmm... Both of these could work as stand-alone talents, if their costs were balanced out...
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Zarhon wrote:Ooh, looks very neat - Now you can do sustainable damage with the interrupt to allow you to use the temp hp to its full value, and earthquake is no longer a guaranteed KO with weakness.

It still suffers from the problem of you not being able to do all that much if you are focused on / fighting solo, though, since you lose your temp hp bonus damage from the attacks, and can't use the interrupt if your allies aren't attacked.

You also still have no way to control/choose who the enemies will attack (other than earthquake).

In my eyes, the very point of a tank is being a team player so I'm not particularly worried about the situation of fighting by yourself.  However, with this being a summoned weapon, it simply shouldn't be used when solo or should be dismissed since dismissals are free actions.  It's sorta interesting how the conjured weapons are play styles of their own.  As far as more options for battle control, thought about changing one move in the update:

Earth's Embrace - Revised:

Less direct damage but it's the gift that keeps on giving if an enemy attacks other targets.  Still allows damage boosting options since it's "damage" but reacts with some things differently due to being changed to a utility.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Another revisal proposal

Death's Scythe - Revised:

The sheer act of revamping the trait would make the entire weapon more playable. Small tweaks were made so AoE capacity is slightly increased and it could better maintain momentum once it gets going.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:25 pm

As a user of Death's Scythe... that looks pretty good. Really good, in fact. The trait becoming, basically, Surefire Hex looks good even if it is a tad... potent.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 am

A trait of that magnitude is frightening.
Actually, what I hope to do with the Scythe is split it into ONE weapon that does lifesteal and summoning, and another for the warlock that's dedicated to ongoing damage
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Fair enough. Guess there is a reason why the actual trait has a prerequisite. Any thoughts on the Granite Axe proposals?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:Fair enough.  Guess there is a reason why the actual trait has a prerequisite.  Any thoughts on the Granite Axe proposals?
I like the weakened on the ult, though the THP on Grasping Granite seems frightening with SoS. As we've been more careful about math, I am somewhat fearful of SoS's unpredictability, as awesome as it is. Maybe make it a little bit under-powered as a combo piece. However, I will say if we rework this, instead of it being a "Defender" weapon it'd be more of a "Juggernaught" weapon, fairly heavy hitting with high survivability, but not really about protecting your allies. This is because, spoilers, they'll be a more dedicated defender weapon coming out soon.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:07 am

It seems interesting as is but I don't know how many actively use this. Though there may be cause and effect there where it isn't used much because of the strength. Still, it might be wise to go ahead and add the weaken to Granite Axe's ult since it is sorta suicide right now, especially if other balancing plans may take a while.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:20 am

Well, currently one of my characters is using it. It indeed falls somewhere between "tank" and "good survivability damage dealer" in its use, but falls flat on both accounts, since it can't control / protect allies or withstand attacks well enough to tank, and cannot deal any decent amount of damage if anything attacks them directly (can't trigger reaction and loses temporary hit points which fuel its damage). It's also really slow on the pip upkeep, and earthquake in its current form is suicide.

I approve of the idea of turning it into a more damage-oriented survivability weapon. It would need something to allow one to keep their temporary hitpoints, be able to do things if directly targeted, or otherwise be able to do damage without relying on temporary hp.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Does anyone else feel that Midnight Blade is a bit redundant? I mean, its already mentioned that there are traits to reroll your 1's, and through +6 damage is good and cosistent. People seem to run the rages for +2d6 or +3d6.

That, and I hardly ever see the Midnight Blade....
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:03 pm

The problem with Midnight Blade is mostly that it costs too much to be used for any build that would care to use it. You have to chew up two turns basically doing nothing just to use it and then you have no pips so you're waiting to turn three to do maybe a +1 standard and a -1 minor. Which doesn't really end up being worth the wait since combats don't typically last ten rounds.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:06 pm

So, you think it pip cost should be reduced?

And how does it differs from the builds that use he +2d6 and +3d6? They cost the same or more.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Well, they're a lot more potential damage. Still, I probably wouldn't use those myself.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next