Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 22 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:50 pm

Terrestial wrote:What happens when you roll a trigger-requiring combat talent due to Wild Lightning's tier 3 (12 on d12) effect?

Nothing.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 22 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Terrestial Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:32 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:

Nothing.

Good to know. Although that is kind of disappointing, seeing how it's a a success on a special move's ultimate... actually expected a re-roll or something of this type.

If the daze condition applies to character during its turn, does it force it have only one action in this turn from the moment of becoming dazed or does it prevent the character from doing anything else if it has already undertaken at least one action?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:26 pm

The second one... I think. If you end up dazing yourself with an action, your turn is over. If you daze yourself in some other way, then you would still get the one action per turn, though I'm not sure if that's even possible. So generally if you have to daz yourself, make sure its the last thing you do during the turn.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:42 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Meta question

Did someone change most of the board descriptors?

In what way? Some sections did get merged a while back...or did you mean something else?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Wanderlust Question: I'm not sure on my understanding of how Tank interacts with Life and Short Rests...

Relevant Rules:

If I am understanding this correctly, after a short rest, I have 100 Life, just like everyone else. However, when I enter a battle, I gain 50 extra Life, totaling 150. Now, let's say I lose 20 Life in that battle by the end, leaving me at 130, and then enter another one without getting a chance to rest. Since I just entered battle, I gain 50 extra Life, so I'm now at 180 Life. Assuming I take no damage by the end, and then take a short rest, I am now down to 100 Life...

Am I understanding this correctly?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:23 am

I am certain that it means your starting health becomes 150, and you reset to 150 after a short rest. You don't gain a stacking 50 every time you enter a battle.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:06 am

That would be hilarious.

Turuk Storhammer: Hey, Gilden, punch me in the face.
Gilden Greatshield: Why?
T: I need to heal!
G: You what?
T: Look, if you don't punch me right now, I'll just punch you...I was only being polite. *pow*
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:27 am

ZamuelNow wrote:
tygerburningbright wrote:Meta question

Did someone change most of the board descriptors?

In what way?  Some sections did get merged a while back...or did you mean something else?

Abilities
By day I am horse detective. By night I am also horse detective, and sleepier.

Combat Talents
The irresponsible operation of forklifts, and other fun uses for heavy machinery!

Monsters
Guests to Nightmare Moon's Nightmare Dungeon(tm) are asked not to bleed on the upholstery.

Traits
Let's talk about Traits, that key part of the combat system as you level up.

Destinies and Boons
Warranty void if ancient magical tomes read out loud within vicinity of Destiny.
Taking a second look I am rather sure that these are new... which brings up the question of who changed them and why?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Traits isn't new. I don't think Combat Talents are new. The others happened somewhere around when some outdated threads got unstickied. Destinies and Boons is a thread merger.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:38 am

What happens if two different abilitites tell you to roll twice?

Is the bonus from one of them lost?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:44 am

If they have two different conditions for activation, then no.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:39 pm

If they have have different conditions for activation, yet they still both apply, what happens then?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Then activate both, if you want. What are the two abilities?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:30 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:Then activate both, if you want. What are the two abilities?

Level 7 – Paragon
You’ve been on a great deal of quests and adventures, and you’ve become more skilled than the average person. When you make a skill check for an Expert Skill, you roll twice and take the higher result.

Coupled with either

Flying Ace (3)
Prerequisite: Cloud Chaser
You may roll twice on all skill checks made to fly and take either result.

or

Longrunner (3) [Inspired by JasonShadow]
You may roll twice on Endurance checks and take the higher result.

Also, looking at the paragon - does it mean that when using hop, skip and jump and rolling a 20 and a higher result, one has to give up the Spectacular Success?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Oh, like that. In that case, I don't think there are additional rolls stacked per each ability. The Destiny will always be in effect, and since you have to declare your double rolls before seeing the result, you can't wait and see if the higher result is still bad before deciding to "roll twice" a second time. I'm not a dev though, and I can't say I'm certain how they would rule stuff.

As for Hop Skip and Jump, by rolling the 3d10 instead of the 1d20, by default you cannot roll a critical success or failure- that's the tradeoff for the extra numbers. On the other hand, some DMs have ruled that if you roll a combination that equals a natural 20, then they'll count it, and others have treated three natural 10s as the critical. But purely by rulebook, you can't crit so you won't have to give it up if you roll higher. But that's kind of the point of that ability, maximize dice rolls, so a double roll on the 3d10 is still a really good option.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:30 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:As for Hop Skip and Jump, by rolling the 3d10 instead of the 1d20, by default you cannot roll a critical success or failure- that's the tradeoff for the extra numbers. On the other hand, some DMs have ruled that if you roll a combination that equals a natural 20, then they'll count it, and others have treated three natural 10s as the critical. But purely by rulebook, you can't crit so you won't have to give it up if you roll higher. But that's kind of the point of that ability, maximize dice rolls, so a double roll on the 3d10 is still a really good option.
Actually, the ability document now specifies that rolling a total of 20 does count as a crit, making it an official rule...
If the total value of the dice you roll comes out to 20 (or 19 if you have Adept and Athletics or Acrobatics is your Expert Skill), you can trigger a Critical or Spectacular Success. Rolling higher than 20 doesn't do anything special, though.
As for the question itself, it might mean that, but I would say it was an unintentional side-effect of the wording. Talk with your DM to allow such a ruling...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:26 am

Paper Shadow wrote:
A1C Bronymous wrote:As for Hop Skip and Jump, by rolling the 3d10 instead of the 1d20, by default you cannot roll a critical success or failure- that's the tradeoff for the extra numbers. On the other hand, some DMs have ruled that if you roll a combination that equals a natural 20, then they'll count it, and others have treated three natural 10s as the critical. But purely by rulebook, you can't crit so you won't have to give it up if you roll higher. But that's kind of the point of that ability, maximize dice rolls, so a double roll on the 3d10 is still a really good option.
Actually, the ability document now specifies that rolling a total of 20 does count as a crit, making it an official rule...
If the total value of the dice you roll comes out to 20 (or 19 if you have Adept and Athletics or Acrobatics is your Expert Skill), you can trigger a Critical or Spectacular Success. Rolling higher than 20 doesn't do anything special, though.
As for the question itself, it might mean that, but I would say it was an unintentional side-effect of the wording. Talk with your DM to allow such a ruling...

I was aware of those facts and... well. It was the reason the was asking.
Also, coincidnetally, Bronymous might just be the DM i might have to talk this through. What a loop. (if you're reading that - i might have a second look at that min-maxed EP in this case... didn't consider that earlier)

Thanks anyway.

As for the next question... since PbP may be vague in that aspect... what exactly is considered a session time as for the ability usage?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm

For my game its usually around when they've done something important or accomplished an objective. Alternatively, if its been going for like 4 months with little progress I'll call it a 'session' and then things will be reset, usually with a small timeskip.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:58 pm

Did GMs ever consider allowing players to combine their gold pool in order to more efficiently handle item buying area?

What do you all generally think of this idea?

Also, why is Hyperbeam so popular...?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:06 am

I don't think pooling gold has come up too often in games, as most players are concerned with maxing their own build. In the games it has been proposed, I'm certain one or two DMs have allowed it, though I remember it being vetoed in a game I was in, a long time ago. The problem with the gold in this system is that it and the items generally aren't treated as tangible things in the game, so its really just another set of points going to another set of unique combat abilities. I always pushed for legitimate economy-mechanics, where everything was an actual THING and gold had purpose, both for In combat and out of combat, but the Devs focused heavily of personal flavor, eschewing mandated items in favor of "whatever you want your character to have". Plus economy systems are probably really complicated.

I don't know why people like Hyperbeam so much. I submitted it, and I don't even really like to use it. It's big damage and a multi-crit threat, so I guess a lot of people think that outweighs the skipped turn.

A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:51 am

Hyperbeam combines things that people like - Best Case Scenario Mentality (envisioning the awessomeness that COULD happen), giant numbers for seemingly low energy cost (most don't factor in the turn skip as much as they should), rolling way bigger dice than normal (people overvalue the benefits of rolling bigger dice) and its name is a popular pop culture reference. It's also super-efficient as a finishing move to nuke a monster before he gets another turn. Makes for a good tool in the toolbox. Overall, it's an awesome design.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks for the extensive answers. Made me think...

As per hyperbeam's "potential" - yeah, can't argue with that... but i guess some people just don't handle that tool with enough subtlety though... at least from what i've seen on the sheets.

Also, next question:

Do bonuses to saving throws stack or not?

Asking cause only penalties are mentioned.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:58 pm

They do not. Only the highest one applies.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:12 pm

What happens to (save ends) effects after the affected creature is knocked unconscious?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Terrestial wrote:What happens to (save ends) effects after the affected creature is knocked unconscious?

They stay on unless there's some specific reason your GM feels they shouldn't. You don't stop being on fire because you fell unconscious, as nice as that'd be.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next