Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A World of Monsters

+4
Marona
Lapis-Lazily
A1C Bronymous
AProcrastinatingWriter
8 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

A World of Monsters - Page 8 Empty Re: A World of Monsters

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:46 am

"Yes, much faster. Why, back in my day, it would have taken 30 whole minutes to get there." technically true, depending on when "my day" was. Leopold resettles in his seat, watching the the other occupant who was not on his team- the one with the curious pet. He didn't appear overly social, and Leopold knew to respect the awkward silence between strangers when words were not needed, so he let the others probe him.

As long as you don't sacrifice him or give away his stuff, do whatever you want with him. I do leave in 3 days, so I avoided pressing into conversation in case it went slow.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm

The silence continues for a while after that, punctuated by the occasional far-off whistle of the train's frontmost car.

It doesn't break when the party gets to Nut.

The town outside the train doors is most accurately described as "ghost", with not a soul spectral or otherwise anywhere in sight. The houses look undamaged, the streets spotless, the vendors full, but there isn't a single person to be found. As for the physical landscape, it's a lot like the town the party just proceeded from - a bit hilly, roads criss-crossing here and there, tallest building close to the center of town, it just seems like the center of town is a lot closer than back in Verdant. High walls protect the town from the outside, the gate to the train tunnel already closing even as the steam engine disappears.

Also, there's a giant bipedal lizard roaring somewhere around the west gate, but that's inconsequential.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:32 am

The guy had decided not to answer any comments or questions, though he had been tempted to he decided not to. Upon exiting the the train and seeing how empty the place was, he frowned, saying quietly. "This isn't right... where is everyone?"
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:08 pm

"My guess would be that this has something to do with the giant roar I'm hearing."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:37 pm

A young smartly-dressed man turns a nearby corner and looks around to spot the roaring monster. He silently marvels at the giant lizard for a while, mouthing only a silent 'wow', before diving into his satchel, trying to find something inside...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:41 pm

"Guess they were right to call for help"
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:56 pm

"Pssst!" comes a voice from off to the side. A quick look over reveals an old man in tattered robes frantically waving at you all.

"Hmm?" asks Leopold*. "Hullo? Who are you, old man?"

Instead of responding, said old man rushes off into a nearby alley.

Spoiler:
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 am

"Well, its someone..." The man muttered under his breath, pulling out a piece of metal that snapped out to form a shield before carefully following after the old man. His monster companion still on his shoulder.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:33 pm

"Perhaps it is wiser not to follow the shady man for now and deal with the large lizard currently attacking the town."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 pm

"It doesn't appear to be attacking right now, does it?" Leopold pointed out. "Besides we have yet to meet our clients for this mission - this old man is somewhat likely to be them, and if not, he certainly seemed interested in us." He taps his cane on the ground. "I'm all for staying focused, but not for putting the cart before the horse."

The lizard is no longer roaring, instead simply trudging around. The earth isn't quite shaking, but it feels like it should be.

Spoiler:
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:27 am

Alice bit her lip.If you wanted to talk about putting the cart in front of the horse, how about chasing some random old man down an alleyway because he might be their contact? but all she said was "Where were we supposed to meet our contact again? Because I wouldn't like to go chasing people unless I was certain we wouldn't be wasting time."
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:06 pm

"What, you guys hunter's or something?" The man asked, stopping an inspecting the group. Afterwards he just shrugged and turned away, saying. "Well, do what you want, but I'm going to find out what I can about where is everyone, and this old man is the only lead." With that said, he followed after the old man once more.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:50 pm

"The flyer did not specifically mention a contact," Leopold said, "So it is only logical to assume that the contact was intending to meet us when we arrived. Here we are, and despite the fact that everyone else in town is hiding, this old man has requested a meeting with us." He shakes his head. "Fine. I'll be going too. You all do what you like."

And then he walks off, cane thumping all the way.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:05 pm

The smartly-dressed man stops from searching to spot the interesting monster on someone's shoulder. When the person runs off, the man moves towards to the others at the station. The giant monster isn't going anywhere anyway. "Excuse me," he asks those who didn't just leave, "Does any of you know the guy with the monster on his shoulder?"
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 pm

"Not in the slightest. He was on the train. That's all I know."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:34 pm

"Ah, okay. Thanks anyway." He looks at where the two headed to, but decided not to be a bother and pursue them; they were obviously preoccupied. He once again returned to his satchel, this time immediately pulling out a black journal and gives his attention once more to the now calmer lizard. He takes a pencil out of one of his pockets and some glasses out of the other. He lets the glasses rest on his face as he takes one more good look at the monster, then pushes them towards his eyes and gets to work...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Meanwhile, down the alley, the two hunters, after a fashion, catch up with elder man, who turns, gray beard glinting in what little light there is. "Are you...from the guild?" he asks.

"Yes, well, I am," Leopold says before indicating his partner. "I do not know about this one, however."

"Aye, it doesn't matter, so long as we stay out of view of the beast outside," the man responds. He clears his throat. "Yes. Hello. Thank Floragorn you've come. Please...let me apologize for this...hardly a welcome at all, really." He runs a hand through graying hair, brown robes (made browner by dirt) shifting as he does. "Unfortunately, I cannot truly meet you all in such an open area. We run the risk of attracting the beast's attentions."

Meanwhile, back at the station, the more perceptive among the party* notice that the great giant lizard thing is now looking directly at you. It seems almost...surprised for a moment. Then it starts slowly leaning closer.

"Yes, yes, of course," Leopold says, nodding a little. "Understandable. Let us then be quick about this. I shall return and fetch the rest of...my squad, as it were." This said, he turns and starts to walk away.

As he does so, the old man starts after him, then stops, exhales, and massages his temples gently. After a short moment, he turns to Arcantos. "So...you are not with the guild then?"

*:
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm

"No, I'm a blacksmith by trade, though with the ability to communicate with the beasts." Arcantos explained to the old man, then gestured to the shield he had with him. "Though I don't have much experience, I can fight with this shield" Then, he gestured to the cat sleeping on his shoulder/around his neck. "And my friend here can assist in fights very well."
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:29 am

The man scratches at his chin for several moments. "I see. Not many can claim to have tamed a monster." He smiles. "Well met, friend. I am Hedrick, the mayor of this town." Now he looks puzzled. "Tell me, if you are not...with them, so to speak...why did you come with that one into the alley?"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 pm

"I wanted to find out what was going on, why everybody in the town was missing." Arcantos replied with a shrug at the question. "I didn't know they where hunters until they spoke about a contract."
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Spoiler:

Leopold came back - rather rapidly - as the giant lizard finished leaning down . "Alright then, I - oh, of course." The former banker shook his head. "And here I was hoping this might go easily. Come on, quickly, into the alley, all of you! You too!" he indicated the newest acquaintance, rushing back as fast as he could.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:33 am

Rixa quickly followed Leopold into the alley, not really sure what to do but wanting to get out of sight of the giant monster.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 pm

Alice hurried after them. "Anyone got any ideas?"
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:32 am

"Oh?" The man looks up, and sees the monster looking in his direction. "Oh." He also retreats to the alleyway...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Spoiler:

The monster roars after the gang as they stumble, run, hop down the alley. It's a hot, slightly wet sort of sound, and perhaps a bit hollow, oddly enough.

Without too much time spent, the lot of you come upon the elderly man. "Oh, you're all alright. Thank goodness." He sighs. "I hope you hunters are up to the task of ridding us of that beast...hello. I'm Fidelion, the one who put up the request and mayor of this humble town. Apologies for the informal greeting -"

"But the sooner we get rid of the beast, the better, yes?" Leopold interrupts. Fidelion nods. "Understandable. Please, the details."

Fidelion swallows, once. "The creature came upon us about a week ago. We were frightened at first, of course but when we realized it was not attacking us we slowly came to accept its presence as a matter of day-to-day life. Still, we put up a request, as surely a giant lizard overlooking the walls can't be good for tourism!"

He looks downward. "But then, all at once, everything changed. It was about a day ago when suddenly the creature roared, a cry I will never forget, and began sucking up the townsfolk in that great maw of his!" He placed a hand to his forehead. "It stopped once we entered our homes, but ever since it has attempted to attack us whenever we might leave our abodes. We are prisoners in our own town!"

He looks up, meeting the group's eyes in turn. "I know this is more than what you signed up for, but...we are willing to pay you much more handsomely now that we know the creature is dangerous! But please, please get rid of it!"

"'More handsomely?' A bit vague for my tastes, I'm sorry to say." Leopold rubs his chin. "But if we proceed to someplace besides this alleyway, I am certain that my compatriots can handle the problem while I negotiate a fair price with you and your advisors - enough for us, the guild, and...perhaps...perhaps a small bonus to pay for some help." He turns to the group."Does this sound reasonable to you all?"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next