Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon's Feud: OOC

+9
AleneShazam
Espresso
nightlight
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Demonu
tygerburningbright
Bubblez
Crystalite
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dragon's Feud: OOC - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragon's Feud: OOC

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:29 am

I, meanwhile, have finally narrowed my talent selection down to eight. Typically I make a big wishlist and then narrow it down. However, doing so has revealed a problem - I'm not sure which five I would select to take into battle, so I may well end up with Spellbook as well. And possibly that trait which gives you an extra talent (and can take an extra talent into battle), which I didn't know existed. Hmm, maybe I should post the link so-as to provide context... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XD1WHXDaQcADf-chynJz0qtG4JmC5m0mGxmMeVll-qc/edit?usp=sharing

Demonu wrote:Do other people here have a lot of abilities/traits/items that bestow penalties on the enemies' saving throws?
Because I could also go for a build that fires off Dominate every two turns for shits and giggles :p
(or I could revamp my entire build to resolve around dominating and saving throws shenanigans)

Well, Violet Star has a trait that makes her own save ends abilities harder to resist, and I may get the same, but otherwise... not really. Kinda hard to get penalties to save-ends no matter which ally applies them...

EDIT: After many hours of work (and some personal sleeplessness!) I do believe I have finished the mechanics of my character sheet. Haven't put all the flavor in yet, but Cherry Sundae is ready to play. On a side note, I think this is the most abilities I've ever had on a PT character...

Last edited by Dusk Raven on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finished!)
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Demonu wrote:Do other people here have a lot of abilities/traits/items that bestow penalties on the enemies' saving throws?
Because I could also go for a build that fires off Dominate every two turns for shits and giggles :p
(or I could revamp my entire build to resolve around dominating and saving throws shenanigans)

Pumpkin Spice has Persistent Hex (-3 to saving throws against her effects), and Violet Stars has Surefire Hex (make the enemy roll twice and take the lower result against her effects. The handbook was strangely vague on what die you use for saving rolls, but I'm assuming a d20. In that case, this averagely gives enemies a -4.75 chance to save, though the effect is less when the save difficulty is either on the higher or lower ends of the spectrum). Both of these only affect the character individually. Nobody else has anything that messes with saving throws as far as I know.

Also, I guess it sounds like we're nearly ready, once Demonu settles on a build! Let's see... Pumpkin Spice, Boreal Wind (some revisions were mentioned - is he done?), Violet Stars, Atlas, Lucky Shot, and Cherry Sundae. That's six! \o/

Featuring the elements of Tenacity, Generosity, Kindness, Laughter, Magic, and more Tenacity (how tenacious)! We don't need no stinkin' honesty or loyalty!

Last edited by nightlight on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:39 pm

nightlight wrote:
Also, I guess it sounds like we're nearly ready, once Demonu settles on a build! Let's see... Pumpkin Spice, Boreal Wind (some revisions were mentioned - is he done?), Violet Stars, Atlas, Lucky Shot, and Cherry Sundae. That's six! \o/
Eh, I'll put in Savage Dreadnought for now. Always useful. I'll keep the endless dominate (seriously, 2 traits and 1 item is all it takes to give an opponent -4 on saving throws and force him to roll twice and pick the lower number) for another character.

On that note, we're supposed to get a party boon on level 3. Not sure what everyone would want but flavourwise, I'd suggest Friend in High Places with Twilight Sparkle?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:41 pm

That was actually my suggestion for a boon, too, since it makes the most sense given the story.
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:I, meanwhile, have finally narrowed my talent selection down to eight. Typically I make a big wishlist and then narrow it down. However, doing so has revealed a problem - I'm not sure which five I would select to take into battle, so I may well end up with Spellbook as well. And possibly that trait which gives you an extra talent (and can take an extra talent into battle), which I didn't know existed. Hmm, maybe I should post the link so-as to provide context... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XD1WHXDaQcADf-chynJz0qtG4JmC5m0mGxmMeVll-qc/edit?usp=sharing

As a side note, we now have 3 people with the Instant Party ability, two with Party Cannon as well. XD While this can actually still be useful because there's 24 hours in a day something can go wrong, and a chance at another magic point is super nice, it does seem a bit excessive. We're going to spend all our time partying!

This doesn't have to change, but I thought I'd point it out. ^^
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:14 pm

nightlight wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote:I, meanwhile, have finally narrowed my talent selection down to eight. Typically I make a big wishlist and then narrow it down. However, doing so has revealed a problem - I'm not sure which five I would select to take into battle, so I may well end up with Spellbook as well. And possibly that trait which gives you an extra talent (and can take an extra talent into battle), which I didn't know existed. Hmm, maybe I should post the link so-as to provide context... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XD1WHXDaQcADf-chynJz0qtG4JmC5m0mGxmMeVll-qc/edit?usp=sharing

As a side note, we now have 3 people with the Instant Party ability, two with Party Cannon as well. XD While this can actually still be useful because there's 24 hours in a day something can go wrong, and a chance at another magic point is super nice, it does seem a bit excessive. We're going to spend all our time partying!

Oh really? Well, I mainly took it for the potential magic point. A shame the bonus doesn't stack but this means we can get a continuous +1 bonus for 4 hours straight. You just need to participate in the party, you don't have to eat and/or drink Smile
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:58 pm

For everyone's convenience, since I got tired of looking up the links over and over, here's the party we seem to have:

Lucky Shot (played by Demonu):
Utility: Derpy generalist and party thrower.
Expert: Perception
Element: Tenacity
Combat role: Tanky DPS with heals

Pumpkin Spice (played by Nightlight):
Utility: Precision and knowledge speedster. Provider of coffee breaks.
Expert: Healing
Element: Generosity
Combat role: Healer and energy battery for party.

Atlas (played by Espresso):
Utility: Brawn and sense. Giant, tough Dr. Dolittle.
Expert: Athletics
Element: Kindness
Combat role: DPS

Violet Stars (played by Tyger):
Utility: Precision and sense sneaking, dexterous rogue.
Expert: Stealth
Element: Laughter
Combat role: Debuffer and DPS

Boreal Wind (played by Crystalite):
Utility: Brawny scout, speedster, and weather manipulator.
Expert: Endurance
Element: Magic
Combat role: DPS

Cherry Sundae (played by Dusk Raven):
Utility: Generalist with emphasis on precision. Inventor and provider of ice cream dessrts.
Expert: Mechanics
Element: Tenacity
Combat role: DoT DPS
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:51 pm

As Espresso's mouthpiece while he struggles with internet issues, I'd like to ask for some opinions on Atlas' powers:
He could either get a little more aggression in by captializing on enemy vuln. (Where it hurts
or
He could get a little protection in the form of strong retaliation when attacked by enemies. (Vengeance is mine
which do you guys prefer?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Combat stuff:

I think my main weakness in DMing is failing to annotate stuff, and otherwise not pay attention to the Character sheets. I literally never had any idea what any of them were capable of, in or out of combat.

This has changed, thanks to you. *Furiously scribbles down notes on how to murder party*

Character sheets:

This is also quite convenient. Its very handy having a player around who's willing to do all the busy work like this, lets me plan stuff. I appreciate it.

Anyway, here's the Drive Folder, now with added character sheets: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-MsvyDhuDxIZk9UZG5STjFoODg

EDIT: I'm waiting to see if Bubblez is still planning to submit a character, I know it was in the process of being worked on. If so, and its ok with him, he'll be the first standby Player (I really hate having to limit slots, but another thing I learned last game was that having too many players is not workable, for various reasons.)

Last edited by A1C Bronymous on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:11 pm

AleneShazam wrote:As Espresso's mouthpiece while he struggles with internet issues, I'd like to ask for some opinions on Atlas' powers:
He could either get a little more aggression in by captializing on enemy vuln. (Where it hurts
or
He could get a little protection in the form of strong retaliation when attacked by enemies. (Vengeance is mine
which do you guys prefer?

I'm a bit new, but optimization-wise, I think that depends on a mechanic I'm not sure of. If you have vulnerability, does vengence is mine reflect that vulnerability damage as well? If so, that could be a decent defense. There's a lot of save effects that'll be flying around, though, so Where it Hurts is a strong way to add even more damage. Atlas does have a lot of reaction powers as it is, though, and you can only use one per trigger, so that's a consideration before choosing that.
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:18 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:
I think my main weakness in DMing is failing to annotate stuff, and otherwise not pay attention to the Character sheets. I literally never had any idea what any of them were capable of, in or out of combat.

Silly DM! Character sheets are rife with ways to mess with players both in and especially out of combat! :3 Always look at them! It does wonders with creating challenges or personalizing little things that makes people feel like a unique part of a story instead of a cog in a train chugging along a railroad. :3

A1C Bronymous wrote:This has changed, thanks to you. *Furiously scribbles down notes on how to murder party*

Great. I've doomed us all. Sorry, guys!

*edits so all our weaknesses are getting healed and receiving lots of loot*

A1C Bronymous wrote:This is also quite convenient. Its very handy having a player around who's willing to do all the busy work like this, lets me plan stuff. I appreciate it.

Anyway, here's the Drive Folder, now with added character sheets: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-MsvyDhuDxIZk9UZG5STjFoODg

Glad it's useful! Would it be better to instead have links to the character sheets everyone's already made instead of a public directory? That way, everyone can update their character sheets themselves, track HP, conditions, make notes that others can see, and also level characters on their own without having to have you copy and paste the document every time?

The public directory could still be really useful for resources you provide, information about the campaign, etc. though!
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Hang on, that ink isn't what I wanted it to be... lemme try and fix...

Edit: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-MsvyDhuDxIZk9UZG5STjFoODg
Try that one. The original owners should still be able to edit their own docs, I think. If not, Drive has gotten more complicated than I'm used to.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:46 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:Hang on, that ink isn't what I wanted it to be... lemme try and fix...

Edit: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-MsvyDhuDxIZk9UZG5STjFoODg
Try that one. The original owners should still be able to edit their own docs, I think. If not, Drive has gotten more complicated than I'm used to.

There we go! That seems to work. Thanks!
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:52 pm

nightlight wrote:As a side note, we now have 3 people with the Instant Party ability, two with Party Cannon as well. XD While this can actually still be useful because there's 24 hours in a day something can go wrong, and a chance at another magic point is super nice, it does seem a bit excessive. We're going to spend all our time partying!

Really? Damn. I'd meant to check the other sheets to see if anyone else had it, but I guess I failed on that big-time. A perpetual party wouldn't be a bad thing - and maybe somepony will actually get a magic point from it - but I can swap mine out, as it kinda clashes with the rest of her build. For the replacements, I'm thinking a 2-point and a 3-point - Howling Chains/Call Out, or You Don't Know Where It's Been/Weaken Substance/Nimble Hooves. Or Best of the Breed, again. Didn't think I could do that.

...Of course, if I do that, her name becomes a reference and nothing else. Still waiting for someone to guess who she's based on, although considering she's had significant creative drift I don't think it'll happen...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:10 pm

You guys are certainly free to tweak your sheets as much as necessary until the game starts. Bubblez has informed me that he's ok with being on the waiting list, so it looks like you 6 are the Players.

Now that we have that sorted, I am very conveniently starting vacation tomorrow. I will do my best to work on the game, but I can't promise a whole lot, and it may or may not start before the New Year. Until then, have fun building up your backstories and developing an impenetrable, undefeatable combat team build.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Might I take the liberty of starting a Skype group?
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:30 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:Now that we have that sorted, I am very conveniently starting vacation tomorrow. I will do my best to work on the game, but I can't promise a whole lot, and it may or may not start before the New Year. Until then, have fun building up your backstories and developing an impenetrable, undefeatable combat team build.

Aww, I was hoping we'd get to start sooner! Well, guess we have a little waiting to do! Would anyone be interested in doing some freeform RP in the meanwhile, so we get a handle on our characters before we officially begin? That way, we'll have some history right from the beginning and we aren't all just strangers meeting in a tavern Sugarcube Corner.
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Crystalite wrote:Might I take the liberty of starting a Skype group?

Was totally about to suggest something like that. Skype, Telegram, whatever people use. It'd be useful!

I'll PM you my Skype info.
nightlight
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:26 am

Espresso says yes to skype, and you already have his skype, yes?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:01 pm

I'm going to go ahead and reopen this game to new players. Unfortunately, with one definite drop and two unresponsive Players, the game can't help but either slow to a crawl or leave them behind. So three new slots to replace them. Anyone interested can check the beginning of the thread for character guidelines, and we can add you to the skype group for more OOC info.

Will move the IC ahead shortly, and separate the inactive members from the party.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:40 am

I'll join up.

Character: Chassis Brassrivet

Companion: Mossburg

These are the characeters I posted up in the Character Sheets thread. I've been doing some tweaking and improving on the concept since then.

My Skype name is the same as my username here.
jaguargamma
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Interested in joining, here's my character.

Bringing in a concept I wanted to use for a while, a combination of faeries and very angry faeries. Peony is a breezie who was stuck in Equestria and lived around the Ponyville area since. She sticks around a mama-eagle named Helmaroc who acts as her guardian/chaperone. She travels around in a jar hung around Helmaroc's neck because her wings are damaged, and she primarily relies on her Psychic Powers™ to get her way. As a persuasion character, her primary function will be very angry shouting and using angry shouting to achieve various effects. The recent disturbances in the area did not escape her notice, but while she is eager to join into the gray, Helmaroc doesn't think it's safe. Still, they eventually agreed that something had to be done, so Peony and Helmaroc set off for adventure.

Her combat is centered around the idea of her being tiny and in a bottle - numerous reactions and interrupts serve to prevent any and all damage from reaching her. Said damage is either reflected onto Helmaroc (due to her being the bigger target) or bounced back to the enemy, depending on the severity of the damage. Her primary energy sink is crescendo, and she deals damage via punishing blow.

Peony (and Helmaroc)
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:11 am

Well, while my immediate reaction to a robot would normally be negative, I promised I wouldn't be so strict, and since your sheet is done and ready, works for me. Chassis can join.

Same goes for the lightning eagle, though I do have a question about Peony and Helmaroc's Freaky Knowledge: How do you define your trademarked Psychic Powers and "Spotting" in mechanical terms?

Also, my idea for fitting you both into the game would be that you are on the wagon coming back to Ponyville with the rest of the group. Any concers with that idea?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:03 am

I have no issue with that idea. In fact, I think Chassis might actually have an excuse to be at Sweet Apple Acres to get on the wagon in the first place; she'd be helping out with the mechanical preparations, but the supply problems have made it so the tools and parts needed to complete them aren't coming in. She was told to meet with Applejack and the party in Sweet Apple Acres about the issue.

She'd leave Mossburg in Ponyville with her workship wagon.
jaguargamma
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:52 am

I'm fine with the way they're introduced.
As for the freaky knowledges, they're a mix of me not being good at phrasing stuff and comedic value. Psychic powers™ would basically buff rolls involving mental magic I guess? Identifying and using that kind of stuff. Spotting is mostly just me not being sure how to phrase Helmaroc's ability to be a sentry and notice fine details and stuff - both being an eagle and having that sort of maternal guardian instinct to keep watch and keep her chicks safe.
If you have a better way of putting them I'd be happy to make the change.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next