Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge

+3
A1C Bronymous
Kris_The_Guest
Lyntermas
7 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge - Page 17 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge

Post  Broken Logic Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:50 am

Eh, Jeraylia's been around the block enough times (she's been alive long enough to), that she has a more down to earth(/where ever this is) view on the undead. Or as she'd prefer to put it (she's a sensative girl) those with a little extra life. Un-life is still a type of life, and you can't help the circumstances you were unborn with, only the actions you have now. She combines the mercy of Pelor with the harmony of Melora. Nature is savage, and she understands that sometimes savagery is needed to survive. But, those with power have the choice and ability to show kindness and compassion, and if she can help it, she will show them. It's kind of like Rolf's occassional moral crisis, except for her its not a crisis, so much as a challenge. But one she holds only herself to. Of course, she'll oppose evil, as is her wont. Actually, scratch that. She's not so much opposed to evil, as good and evil can be relative, but more strives for inherent goodness, as far as she is able to see.
And don't worry too hard about her having problems with Skitter or Horizon. She'll only be goody goody if the situation allows it, otherwise, it's do your best and hope Pelor's mercy will forgive her smiting people in the face. Jeraylia is not out to change people, just observe them and write notes down occasionally. She might try to inspire you to do your best, but she won't get in anyones way unless she has a better way to do things.
I didn't go for a more special magic sword, because I feel I'm already a little beefed with potential, as this type of game has a more skill check focus.

Last edited by Broken Logic on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 am

Also, fine, I'll ask for a long bow, too. And a quiver. Now, I kind of feel like Link from Zelda. All these items are in my pouch =|
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 am

Another applicant? Cool.

Right now the possible choices are:
- a Dragonborn Shaman with a spirit pet, heal/support oriented, made by Azarune. Hasn't posted backstory yet, but I advised him/her to post it here.
- The Deva bard, which BrokenLogic posted.

I could work with adding both characters, if you think it will work out, making a 5-man party.

Ramsus, do you have any links or sources for your shadow power abilities (or if none available, could you paste the description of them)? I think we can avoid future squabbles regarding the shadows stuff if I can see just what the skills originally were, in whatever sourcebook you took inspiration from. It's much easier to work with/modify. Alternately you could try picking a few assassin-type spells and have them re-flavored as "shadow stuff".
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 am

Alternatively, I have a True Neutral Razorclaw-Shifter Ranger, specializing in skirmish and forest combat tactics with a superior crossbow. I like to think of him as Sousuke Sagara (full metal panic) as a dnd character. Traps everywhere, intimidate for diplomacy(like Horizon, but unintentional) and will stealth any chance he gets.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:11 pm

I think the Dragonborn Shaman and the Deva Bard both would be good additions.

Yeah, I do since it's just a splicing of the Assassin from the Dragon Magazine (#379, starting on page 16) where they first came out and the Executioner (Assassin) from Heroes of Shadow. If you have trouble finding the info on either of those, send me a PM and I'll give you the info you need. Looking it over more carefully, it looks like I was combining the effects of Shadow Step and Shade Form into one power. If you want me to start using how these are officially supposed to work I'd be ok with that. (Don't think I've used Shadow Step in too many ways one of the two powers wouldn't have allowed. And arguably Shade Form is stronger than the way I've been using Shadow Step anyway.) (I've also not been using Assassin's Shroud and been assuming you were treating things like I had a Rogue's Sneak Attack as that's a lot less trouble to keep track of.) So Basically the Class Features of the Assassin (swapping Assassin's Shroud for Sneak Attack), an Encounter power I haven't even picked out from either of them as I've been fine with Executioner’s Noose and Inescapable Blade so far, and my Dailies are all the poison stuff from the Executioner (the two I had in mind that I "start" with are Bloodroot Poison and Id Moss Powder). I figured as we leveled up I'd choose my Encounter and Utility powers from whichever had something I liked.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm fine with adding both. The more the merrier! Although if one of them wants to focus more on offense rather than support, that might be good. But I'm looking forward to whatever they bring to the table (or forum, as it were).

edit: In terms of entering the campaign, the two new players could arrive at the courtyard with other civilians, once they heard the bells chime. Tiffany could decide to stay at the temple, improve her clerical skills, help guard the place, etc.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I was gonna ask what about Tiffany. For a while there I thought she had just been erased from existence.

Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge about deities and whatever, but I'm not sure what the conflict Skitter would have with a Pelorite/Meloran Bard. I do know what it would be for Horizon, and I welcome it. That's my kind of conflict, so don't be afraid to be the Moral Voice against us vile sinners from time to time. Also- the feminine voice. Not to make any undue demands of our new applicant, but play up the feminine side, otherwise you might have just picked a guy. Remember, less mechanics means more roleplaying.

I of course think we should have both. But now I can't help but think, between a Dragonborn Shaman and a "Nigh Immortal" Bard, I may have seriously undercut Horizon's potential for this game. If I'm gonna keep up with that, I'm either going to have to step up the brutality, or the Demon's gonna have to go live.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm

I think Horizon is fine as is... more extreme =/= better/more fun.

Well, Pelor, Melora, Ioun, and the Raven Queen are the ones who specifically don't like undead (Pelor because he's the goody goody sun god, Melora because they're unnatural, Ioun because Ioun and Vecna are opposed, and the Raven Queen is the goddess of death). But, if Broken says it's not going to be an issue than I'm not worried about it.

Deva aren't really immortal so much as they're souls that keep getting reborn into a psuedo divine service thing. Kinda. They tend to lose most of their memories between lives usually.

You could always try and have Horizon perform a dark and sinister ritual to become a Shade if you're really feeling racially bland. =P
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Ramsus wrote:Well, Pelor, Melora, Ioun, and the Raven Queen are the ones who specifically don't like undead (Pelor because he's the goody goody sun god, Melora because they're unnatural, Ioun because Ioun and Vecna are opposed, and the Raven Queen is the goddess of death). But, if Broken says it's not going to be an issue than I'm not worried about it.

Yeah, but why does that matter, you aren't undead, and neither are snakes.

Deva aren't really immortal so much as they're souls that keep getting reborn into a psuedo divine service thing. Kinda. They tend to lose most of their memories between lives usually.

So they're just Hindus, then, and she's not getting a major capability boost from this reincarnation cycle? As long as its legit, and not some homebrew powergrab.

Also, I feel like she's gonna terk mah jerb, Intimidation wise, and I like being the Intimidator of the group.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Bronymous wrote:Also- the feminine voice. Not to make any undue demands of our new applicant, but play up the feminine side, otherwise you might have just picked a guy. Remember, less mechanics means more roleplaying.

Yeah, I plan on playing the role as well as I can, although she won't be quite as feminine as Tiff, or at least not in the same way. Having the system run on posts also means I get to think longer about how I do this, and how to play the bard as well. I'm no Pinkie Pie. I need at least ten seconds to make a three minute song.

Bronymous wrote:Deva aren't really immortal so much as they're souls that keep getting reborn into a psuedo divine service thing. Kinda. They tend to lose most of their memories between lives usually.

And, it's true about the losing memories thing. I'd have a pretty stupidly OP level one otherwise XD. But I think Jeraylia would retain enough to pick up things a little faster. Plus, she keeps a diary.

Bronymous wrote:Also, I feel like she's gonna terk mah jerb, Intimidation wise, and I like being the Intimidator of the group.

I probably won't. Jeraylia would only be intimidating for certain situations, mostly involving the harming of children/young of any kind. This stems from the fact that Deva's can't have children, and she thinks it a crime to take away the opportunity of life from those newly born. Skitter will just have to stick to people going through their midlife crisis. Speaking of which, would Skitter eat babies, as in like a lamb roast(what did I just say...), or just suck their blood?

Oh, and one more thing, can I change my magic weapon to a flameburst longsword, so I can still use it as a lamp if I make it glow with heat :3?

Last edited by Broken Logic on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Broken Logic wrote: Plus, she keeps a diary.

Now finding it after she comes back to life, now that's the hard part.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Skitter is a dhamyr, he's psuedo-undead and most of his friends and family were dhampyr or vampires. Also a lot of people and his culture as a whole were frequently attacked by pelorites.

Note, it's a totally legit race. It's a strange one and replaces something I thought was cooler but, it's legit and doesn't offer any unfair advantages.

I'm sure the intimidation is nothing to worry about considering you'll likely have way different approaches to it.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Lo and behold your healbot as arrived! If there are any problems, grievances, or details you wish to point out and me to change just tell me.

Also I am taking an artistic interpretation on the dragonborn's leg and making them digitigrade. That's all if anyone finds it isn't what they want dragonborn I will remove it.

If I would pick an alignment it would have to be good (sorry guys Embarassed )

Zthulan Ydal, at the height of 6'2 has all the trappings of a fresh adventurer, or a extremely gaudy tourist. As with all dragonborn Zthulan has a larger than average build skin. His face appears to be more angular than the blunt faces most dragonborn have. His scales are just a basic tan, sandstone is probably the closest color and wears modest open robe that is a dark brown. Besides that he keeps most of his various items along a belt. He carries what appears to be a simple quarter staff in one hand and in the other is holding on to a slung over the shoulder backpack. His "hair" just reaches a little below the shoulders.

That's all I can think of what is the important what he looks like. Now skills!
The two he does well in are around nature (spirits and the like) and healing. While he is above average in both understanding someone, noticing details and some diplomacy. His shortcomings are around in anything that involves anything remotely being related to looking intimidating.

His spirit companion takes the form of a pseudodragon that goes by the name of Korvas (decided to not change it) who perches on his shoulder like a parrot.

All of his spells focus around spells that will primary help allies, but the few offensive also give bonuses to allies.

Also he can talk with spirits. How this entails to whether or not the dead are available it is probably based on faith. Ones who worship a god might go to that plane, while ones who don't may have their spirit mingle with the world. Though in the end it involves who is controlling the spirit.

The magical object he carries? His quarter staff. I want to actually make it a long spear, but while not in combat it either conjures a blade, or there is an attachment that activates it (whether the spear-tip teleports, flies to it, or pops out is the GM's decision).

Also his age is actually probably 19. Still a teenager is to some, but compared to how dragonborn become mature at 15, a strapping young adult!

So like? Dislike? Couldn't care less?
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:16 pm

The pillars I was referring to are the pillars that extend to the roof, from the balconies (at least, the un-destroyed ones). These are holding up the roof above your head. There's also a few broken ones from the monster's rampage on the floor, but they aren't important right now.

Bronymous wrote:I of course think we should have both. But now I can't help but think, between a Dragonborn Shaman and a "Nigh Immortal" Bard, I may have seriously undercut Horizon's potential for this game. If I'm gonna keep up with that, I'm either going to have to step up the brutality, or the Demon's gonna have to go live.

Or you could get actual unique ranger/fighter/whatever you are skills, as opposed to spamming the "stick a kukri into it" spell. Very Happy

I was gonna ask what about Tiffany. For a while there I thought she had just been erased from existence.

Yeah, kinda neglected her. I suppose we could say she went with the paladins to help heal the High Priest.

Also I see I made a mistake earlier in the description , you plunged your scimitar into the bomb thing, not the kukri (edited now). The big holy explosion/heat would have made most of the holy liquid on it evaporate (or have it "use itself up" destroying such a massive creature). So the scimitar won't be a one-shot.

Horizon

After extinguishing his flames, Horizon throws his scimitar at the head.

Throw -> 16 - 5 = 11

By sheer luck, he scores a direct hit, causing the scimitar to go through the underside of the creatures lower jaw and up through its head. The blade of the scimitar stops as it juts out through it, from underneath the top of the "skull". This crushes and cuts a few bones (95%hp), as well as stunning it ( -8 ). It continues levitating, but is motionless. It also stops shrieking, causing the bones to stop rattling temporarily.

Rolf

M.Missile -> 8
Head -> 12 - 8 = 4

Rolf fires his missile, causing a good portion of its head to get blasted (60%hp).

Skitter

Skitter -> 2
Head -> 17 - 8 = 9

Skitter attempts to brace himself against a pillar mid-flight, but doesn't manage to get proper footing for it. The skull being motionless, however, allows him to easily grab onto the head portion with one hand, whilst holding his lasso for support/anchoring in the other.

@ Azra
Heh, he reminds me of the Witch Doctor from Diablo 3. Very Happy

Last edited by Zarhon on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Azarune, I'm not totally sure but, aren't "spirits" a totally separate thing from ghosts and souls of people? I thought they were more like animal or nature spirits.

For the staff, so basically like a yari or such with a blunt ended cap that can be removed for when you want to slice, dice, and stab? I'm not entirely sure that requires magic...

Psuedodragon is an interesting choice of a spirit companion. Though seriously, thank you for not picking something boring like a bear or a panther. I do wonder what it's supposed to represent though. Should be interesting.

@Zarhon: At this point I have so little understanding of the geography I'll probably just follow cues from Lynt and Bronymous. To actually understand where anything is I'd probably need a map. *shrug*
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Ramsus wrote:Azarune, I'm not totally sure but, aren't "spirits" a totally separate thing from ghosts and souls of people? I thought they were more like animal or nature spirits.

For the staff, so basically like a yari or such with a blunt ended cap that can be removed for when you want to slice, dice, and stab? I'm not entirely sure that requires magic...

Psuedodragon is an interesting choice of a spirit companion. Though seriously, thank you for not picking something boring like a bear or a panther. I do wonder what it's supposed to represent though. Should be interesting.

In the book it does say people can become spirits, though it leaves it pretty ambiguous. They talk about the ancestors, which are ghosts right? Yeah probably like a very well made spring loaded spear that can activate when he wants it too.

Just checked the Player Handbook says some mortal souls become spirits, like some of their souls go to the gods.

It is because I am a dragon fanboy... Embarassed

Now for magical item, maybe than a magic totem (they add bonuses to my attack rolls) so perhaps once of a small dragon. It would focus more on enhancing the healing properties of his spells.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 pm

One map coming up!

Side view (without balconies/pillars)
#.................................\..............................
#..........................S~@@@..........................
#............................@@@............................
#................................@@@........................
#................................................................
#___,__,R__,_____,___,__,___,__H__,/O\__,_,__

# = Ward / Door / Exit
R = Rolf
H = Horizon
, = Scattered bones
@ = Head portion (segments, whole mass... It's big!)
S~ = Skitter and his lasso, holding onto Head Portion
\ = Pointy end of scimitar (hilt is "inside" the head)
/O\ = Broken pillar, on floor

Top View (with balconies, pillars)

#################
I..........\__O____O__%%
I....R......S@....H.......I-I
I........../''''''O'''''''''O'''''''''O
#################

# = Walls
I = Gates/Ward/Exit
R = Rolf
S@ = Skitter and Head Portion
H = Horizon
O = Balcony/Roof support pillar (crashed into by head portion, visibly causing damage)
%% = Broken balcony segment
I-I = Broken pillar, on floor
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm

I don't see what the problem is with moving this thing. It's totally the same size as Skitter (on one of the maps). =P

Well, that did help, though it takes me longer than I'd like to understand asskey maps. (I know it's not "asskey".)

So....is there any reason we shouldn't just retreat to the other side of the ward and taunt it with magic missiles and stuff until it gets close enough to pull in again? Also, Horizon and Skitter should probably acquire projectile weapons when we can too.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:15 pm

I don't know if taunting it will work. Our earlier trick might have taught it that Door = Bad. We could retreat to the other side of the door, but then the head would start humming and heal itself again. However...

A moment of silence filled the room. The head was still and quiet. The bones had stopped rattling. Horizon was looking up at the head, where his sword had gotten stuck.

Rolf felt he could breathe for the first time in a while. The head was the only real threat remaining, so everyone could focus their attention on it. But he knew it wouldn't stay stunned forever.

Then Rolf looked over at Lizzie. He smiled.

"Hey, Skitter. Want to bring the head down to the ground and let Lizzie take a crack at it? Horizon will be able to reach it with his knife and maybe pull his sword out? Unless anyone's got any better ideas."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Skitter shrugged and hopped down onto the ground and tried to pull the giant skull to the floor. ((Attack: 6. *sigh*))
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Don't worry, Skitter. It suffers a penalty from being stunned, and we're working together! Very Happy

Rolf looked over at Horizon. "Horizon, you can either using your knife to hack at the head, or try bandaging yourself or Lizzie. Your call." He then tried to recast Mage Hand and pull the head toward the ground.

Roll for Mage Hand...9.

Azarune wrote: So like? Dislike? Couldn't care less?

Oh, like very much.

Broken Logic wrote: ...it's true about the losing memories thing. I'd have a pretty stupidly OP level one otherwise XD. But I think Jeraylia would retain enough to pick up things a little faster. Plus, she keeps a diary.

...And all the Planescape: Torment memories come flooding back to me.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Zarhon wrote:Or you could get actual unique ranger/fighter/whatever you are skills, as opposed to spamming the "stick a kukri into it" spell. Very Happy

Fine then, we can assume he has med to high marks in any physical activity that doesn't involve brute strength. We can also assume he has the feat "throw anything", based on what he just did, and for good measure, lets say his gear also includes some specialized items for different situation cloaks of varying camouflage, Survival gear, etc. Also, Profession: Scout should throw me a bonus or two every once in a while.

I don't know what other "Unique Ranger" skills there are. Tracking, I guess. And I get a favored enemy, but I might have specified that already. Also, Wild empathy. Knowledge Geography hasn't come into play yet either.

"How about let's kill this thing." Horizon stand ready, Kukri out, ready to pounce.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Skitter looks over at Rolf, "Shocking. Knifey voted to stab things."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 am

Rolf looks back at Skitter. "Yes, and you like to use your shadows and I like to use my magic. People tend to like doing things they are good at. Speaking of which..."

"Hey, Lizzie!" Rolf yelled at the dire lion. "Get ready to smash this pile o' bones!"

This was more to get Lizzie's attention than anything else. I mean, it's not like Lizzie's going to see the head get pulled to the ground and decide NOT to tackle it.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 am

Skitter shrugged. "That's just because those are the only weapons I got now. If I had any supplies I could use poisons or make traps. I'm trained in all sorts of things from the humble dagger, exotic blowdarts, that staple of modern archery the crossbow, and even the oh so personal garrotte." he said, smugly.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next