Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge

+3
A1C Bronymous
Kris_The_Guest
Lyntermas
7 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge - Page 24 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge

Post  Azarune Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:51 pm

%%%%%%%%%
Hearing Horizon's desire to risk his life Zthulan asks an obvious question.

"Excuse me, Sir, where are the bombs at this moment? Surely not still temple correct," not wanting to offend Zthulan quickly tries modify that statement.

"Which I am sure you already have done, as I am in no doubt questioning the desire you have to keep this temple safe. But sometimes details can be overlooked, and yes this detail is fairly big to over look something like bombs in the temple it can be overlooked." Realizing he just insulted the staff he tries to rephrase his sentence a second time. "Not that I am thinking less of your order sir, I am very sure they are excellent at their..." Noticing the (probable) stares he is giving, he steps backwards with a nervous chuckle.

"I'll just be here until you need me..."

%%%%%%%%%
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Really a ranger isn't trained in crossbow use now? Mostly I see them as backup weapons anyhow. Trained or not, they could come in handy (laying down covering fire with repeating crossbows and such).
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:17 pm

We don't need them or are untrained with them.

I have ranged weapons. Throwing Knives are more my style, crossbows take too long to reload. So maybe as a single use item.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:19 pm

We can always use them for farther ranges (like about 4X the range of throwing knives I think with the hunting crossbow at least) and stuff and then reload them out of combat. And yeah, being able to just whip out repeating crossbows and cover our escape without bothering to aim while we run or something could be really useful.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:41 pm

I don't suppose there were any arrows, were there? Or just crossbow bolts? A quiver of magic arrows would be nice.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&
" How are these explosives rigged up, Father? Is there an option for a ranged detonation? Of course, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun, though, Horizon."
&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 pm

I'd be fine if a bunch of them were arrows and not bolts. It's not like I got them all for just Skitter afterall.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 am

Zarhon wrote:

" Ah, there you are. I must thank you for your assistance with saving the temple and stopping that horror. If it weren't for you, it would probably caused great damage to the supports, destroying half of the temple. But I'm afraid this is only the start. Now, the situation here appears to be under control for now: Once we get the refugees in and get rid of these bombs, we'll tighten security and place some extra wards for Zilean's other servants. The rest of the town is probably in chaos, however. I want you to go to the mayor of the town. He's in charge of the town's military and city guard. He'll need your help and info. "

" And before you do that, I believe I owe you an explanation, regarding Zilean. Like I said before, it's a matter of utmost secrecy. Uhm... Speaking of which, who are those two? *He points at Jer/Zthul* Someone you know and trust, I hope? "

Before anyone can answer, a paladin informs the High Priest that the preparations are finished and everyone is evacuated.

" Ah, splendid. Now to just get rid of those infernal devices. I'll let one of you do the "honors" of setting them off. "

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Rolf looks over at Horizon. "Well, I could use one of my spells to blast them, but if you have the means for long-range detonation, I have no problems with Horizon having the honors. As for our new companions, may I introduce Jeraylia Shale and Zthulan Ydal. They have volunteered to help us fight off Zilean and his cronies. I have already had a glimpse of some of their abilities, and while I haven't known them long, I believe that they can be trusted with any information.

"I had considered taking the bomb ingredients for analysis to High Wizard Nester Bartholomew, my mentor, who lives a short distance outside of town. However, I believe that you are correct in making the mayor our top priority at this time. If I seem to recall, it was his wedding anniversary today, correct?"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I suppose Beady Jack and Nester will go on the back burner for now. I just hope the mayor's house wasn't right next to the drinking contest.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:31 am

I kind of hope it was. Then Skitter could get himself elected mayor. =P
Btw, you guys should use line breaks [ hr ] instead of having to insert a row of %'s that are kinda ugly and distracting.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 am

Ramsus wrote:It's not like I got them all for just Skitter afterall.

Zilean's Revenge - Page 24 133576520778

- The merchant has other weapons, but they're basic stuff. The arrows were the only magic thingy he has (since they're relatively simple to make and sell for a profit, as opposed to actual forged magic goods). He specialized in hunting equipment (hence the special crossbows) for his best wares.

- The silver bolts were included amongst the 100% offer (since they're expensive). I'll say you can get 2 quivers of the same type (either bolts/arrows) if you choose the 100% version.

- A quiver is about 30 arrows/bolts and I sincerely doubt you'll run out of them so fast, unless you spam them in which case it's your own fault.

- A quiver can be of either arrows or bolts. Choose which.

- From your rolls, I say you've won a quiver of silver, a quiver of fire and a quiver of guiding bolts/arrows and failed the ice/electric ones. Decide which of these quivers are arrows (for bows) and which are bolts (for crossbows). He had a limited supply of both and the thieves took what Skitter didn't.

- I'd say you'd be able to convert the bolts into arrows and vice versa as a commission, but you killed the merchant capable of doing so. pirat Choose whether you want the wooden and iron quivers to be bolts or arrows.

- The bombs are all placed where the crowd was, isolated in a empty area (surrounded by the market stalls, temporarily evacuated) and surrounded by barricades to cushion the blast.

- The temple is empty of bombs. MAYBE.

- The High Priest was planning to use a magic blast, or have someone shoot a burning arrow onto the pile to detonate the explosives.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:04 am

Here's the windup, and the pitch...

"Oh, yeah, I suppose a ranged detonation would be safer." Horizon took a few measured steps back, and produced an AF from his reserve pocket. He removed his helmet for a clearer view, aimed, and hurled the flask at the pile of bombs. Then he picked up his helmet and tucked it under his arm, turned and walked back to the group. Slowly.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am

Zthulan coughs a little at the scene and during the cough a "show-off" is heard. Though there is a smile on his face the entire while.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:02 pm

"W..why did you turn away? I mean, it might be safer, but the fact that you're walking means you don't care about that. I thought the whole point was that you wanted to WATCH the...Gahh, never mind." Rolf shakes his head, then turns to the High Priest. "Anyway, do you have an idea of where the mayor could be at this time? Would he be at his house, or is there a safer location he would be in during emergencies such as these?"

Last edited by Lyntermas on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Only 1 quiver of silver and no ice on an 18. >_< Those thieves must be pretty brazen and just be going "pardon me, stealing all this stuff, move along, nothing to see here folks!"

Ok I guess bolts for silver and guiding and fire for arrows. I assume I got enough wooden and iron for multiple quivers of both types?

If possible I'd like to have picked up a repeating crossbow for everyone (though I doubt I got that many) and another of the hunting ones and a hand crossbow.

Lynt, seriously, line breaks ( [ hr ] ).

Skitter stood there with his cloak billowing in the sudden blast of wind.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:28 pm

As the smoke and fire settles, all evidence that remains of the bombs is the newly-dug, semi-circular dirt ditch with fire patches within, as well as several shrapnel-filled barricades.

"Ah, splendid! Hopefully we won't have to worry about any more of those. Now, from what the guards told me, the mayor and his wife are currently situated in city hall. It's a fairly defensible position and offers a decent view of the town from a height. Most likely, they're organizing the military from there."

He gives the party directions on how to reach the city hall.

"Now then, if you would all follow me..."

The High Priest leads you into the temple. You follow him to his private study, where he takes a book from one of his bookshelves and retrieves a key from it.

"I assume you already know the tale of our Saint: He was the figurehead of the resistance against him and was mortally wounded in battle with Zilean. Few know the true details of what transpired afterwards, however..."

You then follow him to the wine cellar and exit into the priests gardens.

"Tell me, how much do any of you know about liches, exactly?"

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm

"Only what my mentor taught me sir, they are evil wizards and sorcerers who give up life to become undead, and store their soul into another object. Destruction of their body is only a temporary solution and termination of the object, or "Phylactery" and then destruction of their body is the permanent solution."

So basically the run of the mill information.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm

This^
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 pm

I should know a bit, seeing as I'd have studied a few legends about them and their exploits/defeats.

History check -> 22 ( 14+8 )
Jeraylia pipes up after Zthulan. "Ah, the Lich. One of the more fiendish of villains. A favourite of tales, you could say. Who could forget their vast powers, or their one, though not simple to exploit, weakness? An example that a body without a soul falls faster into depravity." She continues to add a few details that the Dragonborn might not have known.

Tell me what I know? Do I know everything? Do I know all of the things?
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Skitter just nods along with everyone else but, rolls his eyes at the depravity comment.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 pm

"I must confess, I don't know all the details about liches; necromancy was mostly forbidden in my education. However, I recall you telling me that a lich is already dead, its body is essentially an animated puppet, that the phylactery is designed to keep its soul out of the afterlife, and that one of their more dangerous aspects is that they have unlimited time to gain magical prowess. You also mentioned that with their phylactery can restore their bodies in a month or so. However," Rolf said, looking over at Zthulan, "I don't understand why you would have to destroy the phylactery, and then the body. If you destroy the body first, the phylactery would be defenseless and could be destroyed before it forms a new one. And if you destroy the phylactery first, wouldn't it simply be "cutting the strings", making the body into a limp sack of bones?"

"Speaking of your Saint, you said that his name was Gregorius. However, I found what I believe to be his will posted in the dormitories, and it was signed with the letter N. Could you explain this for me?"

Zarhon wrote: Liches are already dead. They're just bodies, puppets, if you will, kept animated through magical means by unfathomably evil wizards or sorcerers who seek to defy the laws of nature. They channel their souls through a phylactery, whilst keeping their consciousness inside the body. A phylactery is an object or some sort, acting as a storage vessel for their soul. Through evil and unnatural rituals, they contain their souls within, preventing them from passing into the custody of the gods that govern our afterlives, granting them immortality, in essence. In addition, it keeps their body from being permanently destroyed and lets them control it fully, as if they were still alive, even allowing the use of magic. Even if you destroy the body of a lich, as long as their phylactery remains intact, they will regenerate it and restore themselves within a month. That's, combined with their immortality and lack of need for sleep, drink or food, creates a foe capable of "outliving" anyone and gaining unfathomable amounts of magical prowess, for they have all the time in the world to do so. The only way to get rid of a lich for good is to destroy their phylactery, freeing their souls and allowing their dead bodies to be permanently destroyed for good.

I know ALL the things on liches. ALL OF THEM.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Remember what I said about party dynamics? That's why Rolf is lead investigator and 2nd 3rd in command.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 pm

"I am not sure whether or not destruction of the phylactery will also sever the control of the body." Zthulan gives a shrug but continues his thoughts. "Destroying the phylactery ensures that the liche's second death would be their last. A month's time to search for an item that is both going to be hidden and well guarded is risky, and then the liche would already know that you would be a force to be reckon with. Also a liche no doubt has minions, their master's death would probably not go unheard, and then the phylactery would even be more well defended. I suppose which ever is the most convenient at the situation is the answer on which to destroy first."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 pm

"Well I think you guys are missing some serious potential here. If we just find the phylactery, and keep it somewhere safe, then we can go kill the lich. And then, we wait a month, and go kill him again. And then keep doing it. We get to deliver unto him the untold suffering of LITERALLY a thousand deaths. I believe that would more than make up for everything bad he's done." Horizon looked at the rest of the group impassively, before adding, "And then once we get bored we can break the thing and be rid of him for good."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:23 pm

With a eye roll Zthulan responds, "and what if we make a slip up? What if he escapes? We aren't even sure what happens would happen to Zilean's soul while a body is being reformed, is it on this world? The planes? Is it still conscious? If so does that mean it can prepare itself a spell as his body reforms, how numerous is the cult he controls? Besides Horizon, such desire for punishment is unnecessary, he damned his soul in the beginning, as whatever being he pledged himself to for lichedom is probably not a forgiving creature."

So much would that be apparent? That lichedom would need a sponsor? Should I roll for this knowledge? Thoughts?
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 pm

"...I'm not sure if a lich necessarily "pledges" himself to anything," said Rolf. "I don't think they are warlocks who've made "a deal with the devil", just necromancers who use their own studies and magic to achieve their "immortal" state. However, I'm sure his actions will make the final destination after his final death...unpleasant to say the least."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Zthulan shrugs, "Perhaps we'll learn more about liches, who knows what the future will hold."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next