Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Art of War - Massive Combat Talent Update is Live!

+12
Paper Shadow
Hayatecooper
Zarhon
Videocrazy
Fury of the Tempest
sunbeam
AProcrastinatingWriter
thematthew
elfowlgirl
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Stairc -Dan Felder
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Art of War - Massive Combat Talent Update is Live! Empty The Art of War - Massive Combat Talent Update is Live!

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Alright folks, it's here! While the system has had just under 90 unique combat talents up to this point including the Equine Power expansion - thanks to all the development that's happened for living legends we're now ready to release an update that more than doubles the amount of combat talents available for all non-board players! You'll definitely want to add in your own personal pony flavor of course, like with the original design we tried to make this as flavor neautral as possible. We definitely want to see people renaming combat talents as creatively as before.

Unless we miscounted (quite possible), The Art of War - Combat Talent Expansion introduces over one hundred brand new combat talents for you to enjoy plus three brand new Special Moves.

So how do you like it? Cool

Your faithful game designer,

Dan Felder

Explanation of the Utility Keyword:

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:44 am; edited 5 times in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

The Art of War - Massive Combat Talent Update is Live! Empty Re: The Art of War - Massive Combat Talent Update is Live!

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 pm

Combat Utilities... GET TO EXPLAINING IT... Cause those just are going to only confuse EVERYONE until you get a bit explaining them out asap.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

The Art of War - Massive Combat Talent Update is Live! Empty Re: The Art of War - Massive Combat Talent Update is Live!

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 pm

It's already been explained in a keyword in the original player's handbook. However, I'll post it again here. jocolor

Utility - A utility is a type of combat talent that is not an attack. It’s usually used for passive effects like healing allies. However, it’s sometimes put on clearly offense-oriented combat talents - which lets you get around effects like being Blinded very nicely. All combat talents are either Attacks or Utilities.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 pm

EEK! Assassin's gambit terrifies my solo monsters Very Happy
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Goodie... Haven't yet noticed that. By the way I'm happy at least that one of my crazy 0 pip talents got in. "Heads I win, Tails you lose" was my favorite. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Normally, I would be overjoyed with this.

However, combat talents already confuse the dickens out of me and this is just way too much at once.

Excuse me while I go rock in the corner for a few minutes as I deal with my newfound fear of expansions.
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://elfowlgirl.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 pm

SilentBelle wrote:EEK! Assassin's gambit terrifies my solo monsters Very Happy

Same! I hope so much that one of my players triggers it against one of my epic campaign villains. That would be such an amazing moment.

Xel Unknown wrote:Goodie... Haven't yet noticed that. By the way I'm happy at least that one of my crazy 0 pip talents got in. "Heads I win, Tails you lose" was my favorite. :3

My favorite too. Cool

Normally, I would be overjoyed with this.

However, combat talents already confuse the dickens out of me and this is just way too much at once.

Excuse me while I go rock in the corner for a few minutes as I deal with my newfound fear of expansions.

*laughs* It's okay Elf, we're here for you. We'll get through this together. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:48 pm

I guess I'll have to do an overhaul on Monsters... I'll make sure to give them minor actions and label all their talents as utilities or attacks. Shouldn't be too hard. I like the addition of minor actions Very Happy
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Thunder Hammer, Blood Weapon: Why no Trait, all the cool kids (other summon weapons) have one
Critfisher: I really like the design of this one, it amuses me greatly
Drain Blood: I feel anywhere that Siphon Life is an option, this one truly blows goats. I have proof.
Empathetic Mind: Your comment states opponent's saving throw, but it works on allies making saving throws.
Blood Skeleton: Is this guy supposed to be able to explode by trying to eat you on its first turn and then redirecting the damage it does to itself, because the way I'm reading it that's what it does.

I like the Dark Bargain, Curse Eater combo that got set up

That's my initial read through. Gonna try to break it now.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 pm

I found these 3 issues, but other than that, it all looks good Smile

[-5] Hangman’s Noose
Deal Xd10 damage to target creature, where X is the number of (save ends) conditions you have.

Should say Standard Attack

[+2] Defensive Fighting - Standard Utility
Deal 2 damage to target creature and gain resist 2 until the end of your next turn.

Is Defensive Fighting not an attack?

[-3] Everlasting Misery - Interrupt Utility
Trigger – An enemy within 10 spaces makes a saving throw and you dislike the result.
Effect - The triggering creature rerolls the saving throw.

This isn't for the tabletop version.

I like seeing the alchemist talents in there as well. Lapis and I had fun making those back in the day Very Happy
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

thematthew wrote:Thunder Hammer, Blood Weapon: Why no Trait, all the cool kids (other summon weapons) have one
Critfisher: I really like the design of this one, it amuses me greatly
Drain Blood: I feel anywhere that Siphon Life is an option, this one truly blows goats. I have proof.
Empathetic Mind: Your comment states opponent's saving throw, but it works on allies making saving throws.
Blood Skeleton: Is this guy supposed to be able to explode by trying to eat you on its first turn and then redirecting the damage it does to itself, because the way I'm reading it that's what it does.

I like the Dark Bargain, Curse Eater combo that got set up

That's my initial read through. Gonna try to break it now.

Thanks for the comments. =)

Critfisher: Yep, I love it too.
Drain Blood: Don't forget, Drain Blood is a minor action. The fact it can also get you an extra attack in a given turn can do nasty things with the right combos.
Empathetic Mind: Thanks, edited.
Blood Skeleton: Absolutely. The Blood Skeleton is a hilarious little tyke.
Dark Bargain/Curse Eater: Yeah, there's a lot of cool builds we enabled that work on giving yourself or your allies save ends effects. We're going to do more with that too, it's a playstyle that feels great when you pull it off.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:03 am

And thanks Silentbelle! Made those edits. Good catch.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:08 am

Even as a minor action; you could instead Mark of the Patron, Blood is Power, or Suck Blood off of your Implanted Parasite. I think it could be a good talent, but I don't think it really does much that makes me care to be honest.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 am

That's fine. Not all talents are for all people and minor action attacks can be broken with vulnerability or similar effects very easily - so we need to be cautious while desiging them. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 am

Hellfire Rain, Haunting Melody, and Go For the Eyes don't meet the definition of being an attack; similarly Heads I Win, Tails You Lose does.
Form of the Serene Armadillo should be a Utility, and state the kind of action it takes.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks, that was an outdated pre-keyword definition of attack. Now that we have a keyword, that definition is invalid (and it's been rewritten in the player's handbook). Good catch.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

Never thought I'd say this, but there's almost too many options here. Shocked

Eh, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Good job, team! And by team I mostly mean Stairc and the gang cause yeah they did all the work
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

I'm just going to post my questions all at once, when I'm done with this. I apologize if I ask questions after people have already asked them (especially as I might not finish this until tomorrow...stupid combinatorics test.).

Trait – Blessing of Wind
When you conjure this blade, you may jump up to 4 spaces in the initiative order. first in the initiative order.
What is this saying?

[+6] Grab For Power - Standard Utility
Lose 1d8 Pips.
Can you activate your special move with this?

[-9] You Will Die - Standard Utility
Target creature is weakened, blinded, dazed, suffers vulnerability 3, 5 ongoing damage and a -3 penalty to saving throws (save ends all)
language clarification: this means you make one saving throw for all conditions at once, right? And the earlier ability that labelled each condition (save ends) separately requires an individual saving throw to remove each condition, yes?

[-2] Betrayal - Standard Utility
Two target enemies make attacks of their choice against each other.
This is something else I've been meaning to ask: In spells like this, where the "dominated" creatures get to choose their own attacks, can they choose [+] talents as long as they do damage? For example, could two pony PCs that were being attacked use draw blood against each other?

[-5] Possession - Standard Utility
Target creature is dominated (save ends). You are stunned while that creature is dominated.
Not actually a question, more of a personal note for me: Is it just me, or is this exactly what I was looking for with the zombie infection thing?
*reaches skeleton and shadow wraith* Ah. Nevermind.

[+3] Form of the Serene Armadillo
You gain 1d4 temporary hp.
Again, no question. I just love this talent.

[+5] All or Nothing - Standard Utility
At the end of your next turn you are reduced to -15 hp.[*]
Should there be something preventing you from using this twice (via gather energy)? After the first time, you basically get another 5 pips for free.

[0] Acidic Addendum - Free Utility
Trigger - You make an attack that has only one target.

Effect - The attack causes the target to suffer 5 ongoing acid damage (save ends), in addition to its other effects.
Is this there to ensure that it stacks with other ongoing damage? and if so, didn't we already clarify that that happens anyways? Otherwise it's just one more word to reflavor.
...actually, that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Oh, what fun, what fun...
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:40 am

One more thing, if you activate All or Nothing and manage to end the battle before the end of your next turn...

...well, I assume you don't fall unconscious, since your next turn never came to an end, but I'd like to have that in writing if I could. Razz
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

... I have but one thing to say.

TIME TO MAKE STUFF
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

Gather Engery + Critfisher = BRAKE EVERYTHING!!!

Not that I'd use such a combo... Nope... Not me.

Also notice something:

Searing Heat - Trait
Whenever you trigger one of your Special Moves, target creature suffers 5 ongoing damage.
Shouldn't there be a (save ends) there? And really what's the point of this trait? After all once you get the Flametouge out you put everything with 5 ongoing damage every turn or something.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:48 am

Thanks for the catch Xel. Fixed now. =)

sunbeam wrote:
Trait – Blessing of Wind
When you conjure this blade, you may jump up to 4 spaces in the initiative order. first in the initiative order.
What is this saying?

Simple. It’s saying that the designers left in a typo. Thanks for catching it! Now fixed.

sunbeam wrote:
[+6] Grab For Power - Standard Utility
Lose 1d8 Pips.
Can you activate your special move with this?

Absolutely! It’s a d8 you’re rolling in combat. I’ve seen it happen in playtesting too, absolutely hilarious.

sunbeam wrote: [-9] You Will Die - Standard Utility
Target creature is weakened, blinded, dazed, suffers vulnerability 3, 5 ongoing damage and a -3 penalty to saving throws (save ends all)
language clarification: this means you make one saving throw for all conditions at once, right? And the earlier ability that labelled each condition (save ends) separately requires an individual saving throw to remove each condition, yes?

You are correct good sir!

sunbeam wrote: [-2] Betrayal - Standard Utility
Two target enemies make attacks of their choice against each other.
This is something else I've been meaning to ask: In spells like this, where the "dominated" creatures get to choose their own attacks, can they choose [+] talents as long as they do damage? For example, could two pony PCs that were being attacked use draw blood against each other?

Yes, they absolutely can. This is the only thing that keeps such powers fair.

sunbeam wrote: [-5] Possession - Standard Utility
Target creature is dominated (save ends). You are stunned while that creature is dominated.
Not actually a question, more of a personal note for me: Is it just me, or is this exactly what I was looking for with the zombie infection thing?
*reaches skeleton and shadow wraith* Ah. Nevermind.

*laughs* We had fun designing those.

sunbeam wrote: [+3] Form of the Serene Armadillo
You gain 1d4 temporary hp.
Again, no question. I just love this talent.

sunny

sunbeam wrote: [+5] All or Nothing - Standard Utility
At the end of your next turn you are reduced to -15 hp.[*]
Should there be something preventing you from using this twice (via gather energy)? After the first time, you basically get another 5 pips for free.

Good catch. Yes, there should. Fixed.

sunbeam wrote: [0] Acidic Addendum - Free Utility
Trigger - You make an attack that has only one target.

Effect - The attack causes the target to suffer 5 ongoing acid damage (save ends), in addition to its other effects.
Is this there to ensure that it stacks with other ongoing damage? and if so, didn't we already clarify that that happens anyways? Otherwise it's just one more word to reflavor.
...actually, that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Oh, what fun, what fun...

Yeah, the acid is a typo now-fixed. Don’t let that stop you from reflavoring it though!

Thanks for the questions. Glad you’re enjoying the new expansion.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:54 am

But because different sources stack, You can still name your ongoing damage, then...
My "Bad Pun" Draw Blood just got so much more entertaining.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:56 am

Actually, different sources of ongoing damage aren't supposed to stack. It gets way too broken way too quickly with vulnerability.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:58 am

...I'm still renaming that pun damage regardless. It's just too much of an opportunity to play out everything my DM has ever threatened us with...
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next