Let's make some Flaws!

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:56 pm

A little explanation before we begin.

It has been discussed, here and (I imagine) many other places as well, that your average flaws system of take a flaw and gain a talent (or trait, or combat move, or skill bonus, or whatever you please) is a bad idea. Dan stuck his toe in the waters of Flaws with the Derp talent; a plain old utility talent that happens to have both a major drawback and a major bonus applied to it. It works because A) you give up a normal talent to take it, and B) you don't get to pick the bonus associated with it. This makes a Flaw much easier to balance, and much harder to break. There was some discussion regarding making more, but it didn't get very far. And I saw that and said, "Nuh-uh. This idea deserves a better fate than this."

So, here I am, making a thread for you lovely folks to post your own ideas for talents similar to Derp, which the rest of us will critique, play test, tweak a little, and eventually compile into a Google Docs File.

Dan Felder's Flaws

Derp
Rolling a 2 or a 3 counts as a Critical Failure the same way as rolling a 1 does. You start the day with an additional Magic Point.

----

Muffins
You lose the first magic point you would gain at the end of each extended rest. You gain the following utility talent.

Muffin! - 5/day
Trigger - You roll a natural 1 on a skill check.
Effect - Reroll the check.

Grey Pen's Flaws

----

Phobia (Take 2)
When you take this talent, choose an object of fear. You gain a +5 bonus to all checks made to avoid it. However, you must make a Persuasion check (DC set at GM's discretion) in order to intentionally confront this.

----

Obsession (Take 2)
When you take this talent, choose an object of your obsession. You gain a +5 bonus to all checks made to find or otherwise, acquire it. However, you must make a Persuasion check (DC set at GM's discretion) in order to intentionally avoid this.

----

Herp Derp (Take 2) (Needs Work?)
Prerequisite: Derp
Rolling a 4, 5 or 6 on a skill check counts as a critical failure the same way as rolling a 1, 2, or 3 does. You may use your Element once per day without spending a Magic Point.

----

Fluctuating Cutie Mark 3/Day Reaction (Take 3)
Prerequisite: Cutie Mark
Trigger: You make a Cutie Mark Check.
You may choose to roll 1D12. If you do, your Cutie Mark is now the appropriate check listed below:

1 - Same as before
2 - Stunts
3 - Endurance
4 - Acrobatics
5 - Stealth
6 - Mechanics
7 - Arcana
8 - History
9 - Healing
10 - Perception
11 - Persuasion
12 - Streetsmarts

----

Cutie Pox (Needs Work)
Prerequisite: Fluctuating Cutie Mark
You gain an additional 3 uses of Fluctuating Cutie Mark. Moreover, instead of changing Cutie Marks, you now gain additional Cutie Marks. However, every time you use said Cutie Mark Skills, and don't use Fluctuating Cutie Mark, you lose one. If you only have one when this happens, it becomes an Anti Cutie - it gives a -5 penalty instead of a bonus. When you use Fluctuating Cutie Mark, the Anti Cutie reverts to normal; but, if you use an Anti Cutie, and don't use Fluctuating Cutie Mark, you gain additional Anti Cuties until you do.

----

Meep!
Whenever you roll critical failure on a Stunts or Acrobatics check, you lose 1D6 Hit Points. All allies in view when this happens get a +1 morale for the rest of the day (5 is the maximum to be gained from this).

----

Appleteenie (Take 3)
You are much, much smaller than normal people. Your smaller muscles and structure cause you to suffer a -3 penalty to Stunts and Endurance checks. Pick two out of Stealth, Mechanics, or Acrobatics. You gain training in those two skills.

----

Bigger Mac
You are much, much bigger than normal people. Your immense muscles and structure cause you to suffer a -3 penalty to Stealth and Acrobatics checks, and you sometimes have trouble getting into small spaces. You gain training in Stunts and Endurance.

----

Hyperactive (Take 3)
You are always under the effects of the Haste Talent (this can stack with other uses of Haste). However, for every hour you fail move at least 50 feet, (or the equivalent, at the GM's discretion) you suffer a -1 to all checks (this also stacks) until you meet your movement quota. This need to move can, in the event of limited time or space, be meet by spinning in a circle and shouting for 20 minutes; however, you suffer a -3 to Acrobatics, and Perception checks for 20 minutes afterwards should you chose to do this. This ability does not affect sleeping; however, any penalties remain while asleep.

----

Oh Buck 3/Day Interrupt
Trigger: You would take out-of-battle damage.
Result: You may roll a 1D20. On a 10 or higher, the damage is negated. If lower, the damage is doubled. This can be affected by morale, Awesomeness, and any other applicable bonuses.

----

Narcoleptic (Take 4)
Whenever you roll more than 30 on a skill check, roll 2D6, and divide by two (round down). You fall asleep for that many minutes, and can not be awakened by any force known to ponies.

If you slept for 1-2 minutes, you suffer from -3 Morale until you fall asleep again.
If you slept for 3-5 minutes, nothing happens.
If you slept for 6 minutes, all of your Magic Points and X/Day abilities are restored, as though you had an extended rest. You can only restore this way once per day.

----

Philadelphus' Flaws

----

One Trick Pony (Needs Work)
You suffer to -1 penalty to all skill checks. Upon taking this talent, pick one of your daily utility talents. You gain a second use per day of that talent.

----

Quirky (Take 2) (Needs Re-Wording)
Your critical failure range increases by 1. Choose two untrained skills and gain a +2 bonus to each of them.

----

Heavy Weight (Take 2)
Prerequisite: It's Almost Like Flying or Flight
This talent must be taken at character creation. You suffer a -3 penalty to Athletics, Acrobatics, and Perception checks while flying (on top of any other penalties). You gain an additional Attribute Point.

----

What The Hay!? Interrupt - 3/Day (Take 2)
Trigger: You roll a Critical Failure.
Effect: Treat it as a Critical Success. The next Critical Success you roll (without using this talent or similar ones) is an automatic Critical Failure.

----

Whiteeyes' Flaws

----

Introvert (Needs Work)
You are rather shy and have trouble meeting new ponies. Take a -5 penalty when attempting Persuasion with somepony you don't know or have only recently met. However, once you get to know somepony you're able to talk with them on a deeper level more easily. Gain a +3 bonus on Persuasion attempts with anypony you know well enough to consider a friend.

----

The G and PT - 1/Day (Take 2)
You have a loud, and sometimes inspiring, but rather boastful voice. Choose a target audience (the crowd, the angry mob, the guards, that one cute looking colt) and then roll a Persuasion check. On a 15 or higher, the audience is awestruck, believing anything you say; you gain a +5 Persuasion Bonus against them. If you fail the check, the audience becomes enraged, and will refuse to listen to you; you automatically fail any Persuasion Checks against them. On a Critical Failure, the audience attacks you.

----

GentlemanOtherwise's Flaws

----

Hyperkinesis
Prerequisites: Ponykinesis
Your magic is powerful, but unsubtle; you deal more with brutish magical force than with fine manipulation. Your strength at Ponykinesis is tripled, allowing you to lift objects up to 75 pounds in weight. However, whenever you attempt to use a form of fine magical manipulation (i.e. It's Witchcraft, analyzing a magical artifact, working with small machine parts with magic), roll 1d10. On a 1, you screw up, causing damage to the thing you're manipulating and often sparking unwanted magical effects.

----

Eerie Focus
You're good at what you do... but do you really have to be so, I don't know, intense about it? You're starting to frighten people. For one of the following, you gain +3 on all skill checks: Arcana, Mechanics, Heal or History. However, you tend to get a little too much into your work. You take a penalty of -3 to Persuasion checks for anyone who sees you doing anything using these specific skills, and should roleplay your slightly creepy drive.

----

Everything Has To Be Perfect!
You're a perfectionist, and when you fail, you take it hard. Train two extra skills. However, when you fail when using these skills, you take a penalty of -1 to that skill, which stacks when you fail again. If you roll a Critical Success on the skill afflicted, it returns to normal as your ego is assured.

----

Lucid Dreamer
When you dream, it's like reality, and your dreams are always shockingly clear... for better or for worse. Whenever you rest, roll 2d12. On 1-12, your dreams are uninteresting. On a 13-18, you have a nice dream, and your rest is far more refreshing than usual; you start out the day with an extra Magic Point. On a 19-24, you have a nightmare, and wake up with no inclination to face the world; you do not gain any Magic points.

----

Storm Hopper
Something in you is fueled by electrical energy. You take no damage from lightning, thunder and electricity, and you may walk on storm clouds no matter your race; in addition, when struck by thunder, you gain 2d8 HP. In fact, you love it so much that when you don't get a jolt, you start to feel... twitchy. When you haven't been exposed to significant quantities of electricity for 24 hours, you begin to discharge your remaining electrical energy as storm clouds, which spread wherever you go and make you seem a bit unsavory; due to clouding, your trail and electricity, you take a -3 penalty to Perception, Persuasion and Stealth. Another 24 hours later, the clouds begin to strike randomly around you, dealing 2d8 to anyone they hit- which is generally allies. Another 24 hours later, you become faint, and the storms dissolve. You suffer from fatigue and a -5 to all rolls until you receive a jolt.

----

Zarhon's Flaws

----

Haunted (Needs Streamlining)
Prerequisite: Speak With The Dead
Your "Speak With The Dead" talent can be used three times a day, at no magic point cost. However, you gain the unwanted attention of the spirits of the deceased. When you use Speak With The Dead, or at the start of a new day (GMs discretion), roll 1D20 and refer to the table below, to determine the type of spirit that will haunt you that day.

Natural 1 - Ponygeist. It will harass the player constantly, causing them grave misfortune: Steer the player into trouble or harm, frame them for petty crimes, hindering skill checks, lying and spreading misinformation, or otherwise being a jerk. On top of any incidental consequences, the player suffers from a -3 Morale penalty until you can be rid of said spirit.

2-10 - Needy spirit. It will demand the player to fulfill a minor task, favor, last wish, or similar unfinished business that their death prevented from finishing. If refused, the spirit harasses them until the end of the day, causing a -3 penalty to all their skill checks, then leaves. If accepted, it will grant a +3 bonus to all skill checks for the rest of the day, but if the required task isn't done within 24 hours, the spirit will then harass the player in their sleep, preventing them from regaining a magic point.

11-19 - Lover spirit. This spirit is searching for a long-lost love, who may be living or dead creature. Although not obligated to, the player may assist this spirit in finding the lover, which will grant them a magic point. This magic point persists until the end of the next session.

nat20 - Helpful spirit. It will be very kind and helpful to the player, assisting them in any way it can: Providing knowledge, assisting skill checks, or even warning them of danger.

----

Defenestrative Urges (Needs Work)
Whenever near a window or similar very fragile object, you must toss a coin. Failing the toss will give you a stacking -5 penalty to skill checks for the rest of the day, or until you throw a creature (except yourself) through/into the object in question, with enough force (or from sufficient height) to cause them injury. The defenestrative act is always treated as a critical success when attempted. You also gain a +10 bonus to breaking fragile materials, such as glass or china, and a +15 bonus to locating weaknesses or similar fragile spots in objects.

----

Colorblind (Needs Work)
You cannot perceive colors, seeing the world as various shades of gray. Because of this, you have trouble recognizing ponies, as they all look the same to you. You suffer a -15 penalty to discerning cutie marks and a -10 penalty to identifying or recognizing creatures from afar (further than 20 feet), and are unable to discern any type of color, as well as are unable to see any magic being used. Your color blindness, however, allows you to see in the dark and makes you un-blindable by any means.

----

Workaholic / Cutie Poxed
You have an obsession with your cutie mark/expert skill, or currently highest skill. You HAVE to use it. ALL THE TIME. For each consecutive skill checks (success or failure) that don't use the designated/cutie mark skill, or any failure with the designated skill it, you gain a stacking -1 penalty to all non-related skill checks, but gain a +1 bonus to the designated skill. This bonus is added to the roll itself, and may trigger a critical failure or success, respectively, if it would bring the roll within the required margin (e.g. rolling a nat3 with a -2 penatly would make it a critical failure). This penalty is removed on a critical success with your designated skill, or reduced by 1 for a regular success.

----

Eternal Pessimist
You do not regain a magic point after an extended rest or start of a new session. Instead, when you achieve a critical success in any skill, you gain a magic point and free use of a single magic point talent. If you achieve a cutie mark critical success, you gain a magic point and do not need to pay magic points for any abilities for the rest of the day.

----

Amnesiac
On character creation, designate any number of utility talents. At the start of each session/day, flip a coin for each. If tails, the talent will randomly switch into a different one that you don't already own. You may spend a magic point to restore a talent switched this way.

----

Snail's Pace
You are unable to walk, swim, fly or otherwise move faster than trotting speed on your own accord (others can move you freely). You suffer a -10 penalty for attempting athletics or acrobatics checks that require speed, but in return, may treat any roll made for athletics/acrobatics that do not meet this criteria as though you rolled a natural 12 on the d20 (you may still roll normally if you so desire).

----

Mother Nature's Mare (Needs Streamlining)
This flaw has two variants. Choose one, or both. You gain an extra magic point for each you pick.

Enemy of all living things - The inhabitants of the wild have a grudge, hate, or other negative reaction to you. Whenever dealing with a neutral, non-speaking wild animal or similar creature (such as bunnies, bears, wolves, birds...), such creatures will automatically regard you as hostile, and is likely to assault, hinder, inconvenience, murder and/or devour you immediately (allies are ignored and mostly safe from such animals. They may attempt to prevent the animals from severe hostility via combat or persuasion). You cannot have animal magnetism along with this flaw. There is also a random chance per day of being assaulted by such animals from seemingly nowhere.

Nature's wrath - The inanimate, semi-sentient, and non-sentient forces of nature are out to get you. Whenever outside, in a non-urban envirovment, or in the wild, there is a chance of being inconvenienced or outright assaulted by such forces. These forces may include, but are not limited to:
- Weather effects (homing tornados, hurricanes, thunderstorms, clouds, rainfall...)
- Seismic effects (miniature fissures, localized earthquakes, miniature volcanos, geysers, landslides, falling rocks, meteors...)
- Plants animating for the sole purpose of inconveniencing/assault (vines tripping the player, toxic flowers that spray pollen, pony-eating plants...)
- Semi-sentient plants or elementals (timberwolves, treants, rock/clay/earth/wind/fire/water golems or elementals...)

To determine what will inconvenience the player, the DM rolls a 1d20 at the start of each day, and may confront the player with the effect at any point they wish during that day (they may disregard logic/laws of physics for this purpose, similar to using the tons of fun table - a bear might appear out of a lunchbox, or a room might start randomly flooding, for instance). The challenges or punishments are taken from appropriate tables, or the DM/Player may make their own. The DM may also cause the relevant effects to apply for situations where they would or could be expected (for instance, in the middle of a jungle, a player is likely to get assaulted). Effects will not actively attempt to harm players without this flaw.

Enemy of all living things
1 - Hydra
2 - Cockatrice
3 - A pack of timberwolves
4 - Tiger
5 - Thieving, trickster ferrets
6 - Bear(s)
7-8 - Squirrels, armed with nuts
9 - A regiment of pony-sized ants
10-11 - 1d10 swarms of bees
12-13 - Shark (any kind, land and/or sea)
14 - Various birds
15-16 - Phoenix firebombing
17-18 - Parrots with annoying & inconvenient voice/sound mimicry
19 - Bunny stampede
20 - Nothing happens. Whew!

Nature's wrath
1 - Localized volcano
2 - Localized flooding
3 - Geyser
4 - Angry Trees/treants
5 - Thunderstorm
6 - Liquid rainbow of doom
7 - Random type of elemental or golem
8 - A sentient pony-eating plant, disguised
9 - Monsoon weather
10 - Explosive plants
11 - Homing tornado
12 - Poison joke
13 - Plants will animate just enough to hinder the player
14 - Annoying cloud
15 - Sonic rainboom
16 - Rolling giant boulder, homing
17 - Land/rock/mudslide
18 - Hallucinogenic mushroom spray
19 - Pebble-sized meteor
20 - Nothing happens. Whew!

----

The Warrior of Many Faces' Flaw

----

Foreign Speaker (Take 3)
You do not speak normal Equestrian. You can not communicate normally with anyone who does not speak your language; you must try and use other means to communicate your meaning. Even if you do, you suffer a -5 to Persuasion checks made this way. You may chose three areas of study (as per Freaky Knowledge). You gain a +5 bonus to any checks having to do with those areas. You may only take this talent once.

----

Z2's Flaws

----

Identity Issues (Take 2)
You gain a +10 bonus to checks made to convince others you possess a certain
allegiance/skillset/appearance, but get a stackable -1 morale penalty every time anypony -friend or foe- acknowledges your persona as being fake, until you successfully convince them otherwise.

----

Blunt Magic (Take 2)
Prerequisite: It's Witchcraft
You gain a +10 bonus to totally removing magical effects, and -10 to affecting magical effects without damaging or destroying them.

----

Calorie Mage (Needs LOTs of Work)
Begin the day with an extra magic point, but treat all Endurance checks nat10 or below as critical failures if you fail to eat a meal every 6 waking hours; starting with a required breakfast.

----

Crashmaster
Prerequisite: Flight
You gain a +10 to Brawn checks while flying, but suffer a -10 to Precision checks; in addition, failed precision checks while flying cause 1d8 damage.

----

Delicate Flyer
Prerequisite: Flight
You gain a +10 to Precision checks while flying, but suffer a -10 to Brawn checks; in addition, failed brawn checks while flying cause 1d8 damage.

----

Deep Focus (Take 2)
When you make a Knowledge Check, roll Perception. If you roll lower than 15 or higher than 30, you gain a bonus equal to the difference.

----

Diurnal (Take 2)
Gain a +3 to all checks made during the day time, but suffer a -2 to all checks made at other times.

----

Nocturnal (Take 2)
Gain a +3 to all checks made at night time, but suffer a -2 to all checks made at other times.

----

Crepasecular (Take 2)
Gain a +3 to all checks made at dusk or dawn, but suffer a -2 to all checks made at other times.

----

Disaster Magnet (Needs Work)
Shake off ongoing ill effects twice as quickly/easily at the cost of the following:
-Once an hour, be hit by a random object for 1d4 damage
-After every stealth check, roll 1d4; if one, run into a musical instrument that you could have sworn wasn't there a moment ago
-When eating any food not prepared by yourself or an ally roll 1d4; if one, suffer a -3 morale bonus from food poisoning for 8 hours
-Roll 1d4 after each extended rest; if one, do not gain a magic point.

----

Magically Unstable (Take 2)
Flip a coin after every extended rest.
-If heads, start the day with an extra Magic Point
-If tails, start the day with one less Magic Point.

----

Jason Shadow's Flaw

Volatile Temperament
Pick one trained skill or Cutie Mark skill. Every time you fail a skill check involving the selected skill, your Critical Failure range and Critical Success range in that skill both increase by 1. Both ranges reset to their default once you roll a Critical Success or Critical Failure in the selected skill or once you reach the end of the day, whichever comes first.

----

Paper Shadow's Flaw

----

Copycat
You no longer roll critical successes on skills other than your Cutie Mark skill. You gain the following utility talent:

Monkey See, Monkey Do - 2/Day
Trigger - You see an ally make a skill check.
Effect - You make the same skill check, taking the result your ally got as if you had rolled it.


Last edited by Grey Pen on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 am; edited 23 times in total
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:02 am

This is a well thought-out approach to the concept. I definitely think you make a strong case for more talents like derp, which is a popular and flavorful talent. I'd like to see where this goes.
avatar
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 3098
Join date : 2012-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Caden2112 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 am

I'll say I'm not fond of straight HP damage with haste...Maybe a stacking penalty until you've met your movement quota or something instead...It just seems...I dunno, weird that someone could conceivably drop dead because they didn't move around enough...Plus, this'd make resting...problematic. Picture it now...

"So, you all lay down to rest for the night...You said you had hyperactive?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Well, you're resting for eight hours, so...*roll roll roll* You take 41 damage from not moving enough."
"...So I'm comatose now?"
"...More or less. Hope they get you on your feet soon..."

Like I said, a stacking penalty until you move around might be better, simply to avoid the potential for by-the-book or jerk GM abuse.


As for other things, if we're talking flaws...Well, hrm. Is there a talent/flaw yet that basically evokes the whole 'too fast, can't stop!' effect? I could see it as giving like a +5 or so to quick movements, but a -5 to evading sudden obstacles/fine maneuvering...But that's kind of a lousier version of haste..Hmm...
avatar
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2012-12-02
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Ramsus on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:21 am

I totally freaked out for a second when I saw this title because I thought you were about to suggest something abusive that would give extra racial triats or utility talents. Glad to see it isn't.

Appleteenie is too easily abused by min/maxers. Try to avoid things that are straight up stat or skill dependent. That will minimize chances of making a "not-a-flaw" flaw.
avatar
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 5688
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 33
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:52 am



Caden2112 wrote:I'll say I'm not fond of straight HP damage with haste...Maybe a stacking penalty until you've met your movement quota or something instead...It just seems...I dunno, weird that someone could conceivably drop dead because they didn't move around enough...Plus, this'd make resting...problematic. Picture it now...

"So, you all lay down to rest for the night...You said you had hyperactive?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Well, you're resting for eight hours, so...*roll roll roll* You take 41 damage from not moving enough."
"...So I'm comatose now?"
"...More or less. Hope they get you on your feet soon..."

I laughed so hard at this. But, point taken. Yours too Ramsus. Will see what I can do about both.

Aaand finished editing the original post. Hyperactive should be quite a bit better now. Apple-teenie is (probably, I don't know for sure) still in need of tweaking.

Also thought of a couple of new ones:

Obsession
When you take this talent, choose an object of your obsession. You gain a +5 bonus to all checks made to find or otherwise, acquire it. However, you suffer a -5 penalty to checks made to intentionally avoid this object.

----

Herp Derp
Prerequisite: Derp
Rolling a 4, 5 or 6 on a skill check counts as a critical failure the same way as rolling a 1, 2, or 3 does. You start the day with an additional Magic Point. (Note that this stacks with Derp, meaning you start with 3 Magic Points all together.

----

Fluctuating Cutie Mark
Every time you use your Cutie Mark Skill, roll 1D12. Your Cutie Mark is now the appropriate check listed below:

1 - Same as before
2 - Stunts
3 - Endurance
4 - Acrobatics
5 - Stealth
6 - Mechanics
7 - Arcana
8 - History
9 - Healing
10 - Perception
11 - Persuasion
12 - Streesmarts

----
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Ramsus on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 am

Herp Derp is probably a bit strong (3 magic points a day base could get kinda nuts).

Appleteenie, while better still gives bonuses to skills so can still be used to min/max.

Hyperactive needs a duration for the stacking -1 penalty. It also needs some way of dealing with the fact that your character sleeps that doesn't involve waking up with a huge penalty (preferably no penalty at all).
avatar
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 5688
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 33
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:16 am

Ra
Ramsus wrote:Herp Derp is probably a bit strong (3 magic points a day base could get kinda nuts).
((Hrm, you're right on that I think. Not sure ATM what else to put there though, lemme think about it.))

Appleteenie, while better still gives bonuses to skills so can still be used to min/max.
((Again, need time to think on that one...))

Hyperactive needs a duration for the stacking -1 penalty. It also needs some way of dealing with the fact that your character sleeps that doesn't involve waking up with a huge penalty (preferably no penalty at all).
((The duration of the penalty is "until you meet the movement quota". The sleep issue still plagues me however... Will go re-word it again to make these things clearer.))


Meanwhile, let's have another one!

Butt Monkey (Needs A Better Name)
Whenever you roll critical failure on a Stunts or Acrobatics check, you lose 1D6 Hit Points. All allies in view when this happens get a +1 morale for the rest of the day (Stacks).
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Whiteeyes on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 am

I have one to try out...

Loony -1/Day

You may use the effect of Crazy Contraption OR Twitchy Tail OR Break the 4th Wall. You may chose a different effect each time. However, your character is also crazy and suffers a -3 penalty to all Knowledge and Knowledge based Skill checks when attempting something rational by normal pony standards.
avatar
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Posts : 664
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Philadelphus on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 am

Grey Pen wrote:Obsession
When you take this talent, choose an object of your obsession. You gain a +5 bonus to all checks made to find or otherwise, acquire it. However, you suffer a -5 penalty to checks made to intentionally avoid this object.
Does this have to be a single, specific object or can it be a class of objects? Does it have to be one that you know about, or already own, or just a general thing? (Obsession:Airships, even if you've never seen one before. Or Obsession:Plot Device.)

Also, when would the penalty ever come into play, unless you pick something like Obsession:Fire or Obsession:Timber Wolves? If you want something enough to obsess about it, you're not usually going to want to "intentionally avoid" it which kinda negates the drawback in my eyes.

If I may be permitted to add my unsolicited 2¢ to the conversation, I would say that one of the reasons Derp works so well is that it uses two completely separate mechanisms for the bonus and penalty, rather than +X in this situation and -X in this other situation. I know it's difficult (for me at least) to think up different areas for things to affect, but I think it makes for slightly more interesting flaws. Let's see what I can come up with here:

NeedsAName1
You suffer to -1 penalty to all skill checks. Upon taking this talent, pick one of your daily utility talents. You gain a second use per day of that talent.

NeedsAName2
Your critical failure range increases by 1. Choose three untrained skills and gain a +2 bonus to each of them.

NeedsAName3
Prerequisite: Ability to fly.
You suffer a -3 penalty to Athletics, Acrobatics, and Perception checks while flying (on top of any other penalties). Pick an attribute. You gain a +1 bonus to all skills covered by that attribute, regardless of whether they are trained or not.

NeedsAName4
Your first natural 20 on a skill check for the day does not count as a critical success, however, your first natural 1 of the day does not count as a critical failure. Further 20s and 1s count as normal.


Hmmm...it's definitely a lot easier thinking up bonuses than it is thinking up penalties.
avatar
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 734
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 29
Location : Hilo, Hawai‘i

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 am

Whiteeyes: It needs some work... But, it did give me my own idea:

Yellow Boxes! (Needs A Better Name)
Prerequisite: Fracture The Fourth Wall
You gain an additional use of Fracture The Fourth Wall. However, you are now the only one it affects.

Philadelphus:
Philadelphus wrote:
Grey Pen wrote:Obsession
When you take this talent, choose an object of your obsession. You gain a +5 bonus to all checks made to find or otherwise, acquire it. However, you suffer a -5 penalty to checks made to intentionally avoid this object.
Does this have to be a single, specific object or can it be a class of objects? Does it have to be one that you know about, or already own, or just a general thing? (Obsession:Airships, even if you've never seen one before. Or Obsession:Plot Device.)
((It can be as broad or specific as you want. "Airships" is pretty broad, and would pop up more often, whereas "The Black Pearl" is more specific.))


Also, when would the penalty ever come into play, unless you pick something like Obsession:Fire or Obsession:Timber Wolves? If you want something enough to obsess about it, you're not usually going to want to "intentionally avoid" it which kinda negates the drawback in my eyes.
((I'll admit it needs better wording, Phobia too probably, but here's what it's meant to be. Let's take your Airships example again. If the character is in a ship yard, he'd get a Perception bonus in order to find the ideal one. BUT, he'd have to make a Persuasion check in order to NOT buy one that he could afford once in the yard. I'll re-word it when I'm done with this post.))

If I may be permitted to add my unsolicited 2¢ to the conversation, I would say that one of the reasons Derp works so well is that it uses two completely separate mechanisms for the bonus and penalty, rather than +X in this situation and -X in this other situation. I know it's difficult (for me at least) to think up different areas for things to affect, but I think it makes for slightly more interesting flaws. Let's see what I can come up with here:

NeedsAName1
You suffer to -1 penalty to all skill checks. Upon taking this talent, pick one of your daily utility talents. You gain a second use per day of that talent .
((I'm not sure if I care for this one. I would suggest a by session talent rather than a by day talent, or maybe choose between both.))

NeedsAName2 [color=red](Quirky)/color]
Your critical failure range increases by 1. Choose three untrained skills and gain a +2 bonus to each of them.
((Three skills is a little too many, I think. Two would be better.))

NeedsAName3 (Heavy Weight)
Prerequisite: Ability to fly.
You suffer a -3 penalty to Athletics, Acrobatics, and Perception checks while flying (on top of any other penalties). Pick an attribute. You gain a +1 bonus to all skills covered by that attribute, regardless of whether they are trained or not.
((A little re-wording might be in order, but I like the idea otherwise.))

NeedsAName4 (Not Now, Please!)
Your first natural 20 on a skill check for the day does not count as a critical success, however, your first natural 1 of the day does not count as a critical failure. Further 20s and 1s count as normal.
((I like the idea, but it needs work. I would make this an Interrupt skill; the trigger being "You roll a Nat. 1". Effect? Treat it as a Nat. 20. BUT, the next time you roll a Nat. 20, you must treat it as a natural 1.))


Hmmm...it's definitely a lot easier thinking up bonuses than it is thinking up penalties.
((Agreed.))
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am

Compiled the ones we have so far into the first post.

Also, Phil, I took the liberty of tweaking them the way I would suggest. Lemme know if it doesn't suit.
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:I have one to try out...

Loony -1/Day

You may use the effect of Crazy Contraption OR Twitchy Tail OR Break the 4th Wall. You may chose a different effect each time. However, your character is also crazy and suffers a -3 penalty to all Knowledge and Knowledge based Skill checks when attempting something rational by normal pony standards.

Love the flavor of this. However, 'rational by normal pony standards' is something vague enough that it will provoke arguments at the table - which is something we try to avoid in talent creation.
avatar
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 3098
Join date : 2012-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Xel Unknown on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Then as somebody you could help fix this type of thing. What drawback would you make for this Madness Multitalent?
avatar
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 7018
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 28
Location : Somewhere, nowhere

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm not sure. Working on another project right now. But I have faith that you can come up with something just as cool that won't cause arguments. =)
avatar
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 3098
Join date : 2012-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Whiteeyes on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Whiteeyes wrote:I have one to try out...

Loony -1/Day

You may use the effect of Crazy Contraption OR Twitchy Tail OR Break the 4th Wall. You may chose a different effect each time. However, your character is also crazy and suffers a -3 penalty to all Knowledge and Knowledge based Skill checks when attempting something rational by normal pony standards.

Love the flavor of this. However, 'rational by normal pony standards' is something vague enough that it will provoke arguments at the table - which is something we try to avoid in talent creation.

Fair enough, but I don't want just a static Knowledge penalty either. If sonepony can come up with a better penalty I would love to hear it.
avatar
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Posts : 664
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:20 pm

The problem with this flavor is that Insane does not equal Incompetent; The Joker is as crazy as they get, but he's still perfectly capable of accomplishing his goals. Those goals just don't make sense to those who look on. This is also my biggest problem with the Sanity Meter (though the mechanic is fairly flexible for other purposes). Insanity, in it's purest form, is ultimately a role-playing choice, and any direct attempt at simulating it is going to have this problem.

Perhaps, when they attempt to activate the chosen effect, they have to roll a die to see how successful they are and how it affects them; something akin to the Tons of Fun Table (though much, much smaller)? I just don't know right now.

Anyone know where the gravy mix is?
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:00 am

Apparently not...

Where's The Gravy Mix?
Prerequisite: Instant Party
You gain an additional use of Instant Party. When you use Instant Party, roll 1D20. On a 5 or lower, nothing happens. Otherwise it works as normal.
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Got another one!

Oh Buck 3/Day Interrupt
Trigger: You would take out of battle damage.
Result: You may roll a 1D20. On a 10 or higher, the damage is negated. If lower, the damage is doubled.

Also updated Appleteenie and Fluctuating Cutie Mark. Go check 'em out on page 1!
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Whiteeyes on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:59 am

Got a couple.

Introvert
You are rather shy and have trouble meeting new ponies. Take a -5 penalty when attempting Persuasion with somepony you don't know or have only recently met. However, once you get to know somepony you're able to talk with them on a deeper level more easily. Gain a +3 bonus on Persausion attempts with anypony you know well enough to consider a friend.

Giant Ego - 1/Day
You have a giant ego, and as such you are hard to get along with; you know how to put your overbearing attitude to good use though. When you activate this talent, chose a target audience (the crowd, the guards, that one guy over there) and proceed to make a giant boast, the more grandiose and target specific the better for RP purposes. However no matter what you say your ego is so insufferable that the target audience will go out of their way to confront you. This is great for a distraction, but the target audience really doesn't like you, so use with caution.
avatar
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Posts : 664
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:44 am

They both could stand some polishing... buuuut I'm comin' up blank. I'll add them to the list.

Oh, and I took the liberty of renaming one too.
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  GentlemanOtherwise on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Hyperkinesis
Prerequisites: Ponykinesis
Your magic is powerful, but unsubtle; you deal more with brutish magical force than with fine manipulation. Your strength at Ponykinesis is tripled, allowing you to lift objects up to 75 pounds in weight. However, whenever you attempt to use a form of fine magical manipulation (i.e. It's Witchcraft, analyzing a magical artifact, working with small machine parts with magic), roll 1d10. On a 1, you screw up, causing damage to the thing you're manipulating and often sparking unwanted magical effects.

Eerie Focus
You're good at what you do... but do you really have to be so, I don't know, intense about it? You're starting to frighten people. For one of the following, you gain +3 on all skill checks: Arcana, Mechanics, Heal or History. However, you tend to get a little too much into your work. You take a penalty of -3 to Persuasion checks for anyone who sees you doing anything using these specific skills, and should roleplay your slightly creepy drive.

Everything Has To Be Perfect!
You're a perfectionist, and when you fail, you take it hard. Train two extra skills. However, when you fail when using these skills, you take a penalty of -1 to that skill, which stacks when you fail again. If you roll a Critical Success on the skill afflicted, it returns to normal as your ego is assured.

Lucid Dreamer
When you dream, it's like reality, and your dreams are always shockingly clear... for better or for worse. Whenever you rest, roll 2d12. On 1-12, your dreams are uninteresting. On a 13-18, you have a nice dream, and your rest is far more refreshing than usual; you start out the day with an extra Magic Point. On a 19-24, you have a nightmare, and wake up with no inclination to face the world; you do not gain any Magic points.
avatar
GentlemanOtherwise
Background Pony
Background Pony

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-11-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Nice! I like Lucid Dreamer especially, particularly using two dice to create an average roll, with the extremes being less common. Added to the list! I'm gonna have to think about that Doc file before long...

Also, re-worded The G and PT.
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  GentlemanOtherwise on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 am

Friend in Shadow [Magic] (1/day)
Your shadow is sort of a separate entity from you- in the little patch of dark that trails after you, all your vices, pains and issues are made non-corporeal shadow flesh. This Shadow is controlled by the PH, and will often give you "advice" which might be beneficial in the short term, but in the long term is always intended to keep you emotionally immature, unstable and burnt-out to the best degree that the Shadow can offer- though it always wants you alive. This shadow can see things that you don't and thinks in ways you wouldn't dare; listening to the advice of your Shadow grants you a +5 bonus to whatever action it advises.

Every time the instructions of your Shadow get you to indulge in one of your own flaws, weaknesses or vices, it gains a Shadow Point; these persist between days. When the Shadow gains 5 Shadow Points, it may take control of you for a period of time lasting until you either:
-sleep, get knocked unconscious or otherwise lose consciousness,
-the Shadow expends all its Shadow Points,
-or your friends make a Persuasion check, at DC35, to call you back.
It will use this time to attempt to ruin your life in as many ways as it can; it cannot use Elements of Harmony, and can only act like you in a sort of twisted, cruel way; seeing that the Shadow is not you takes a variable DC check based on circumstances. The Shadow cannot spend your Magic Points, but can spend its Shadow Points in a way that mimics Magic Points. It will also avoid harming you bodily.

For a Magic Point, you may physically manifest your Shadow; it exists as its own, separate entity, and is bound to your commands. It is capable of flight, is physically strong (able to lift four times the weight of basic Ponykinesis) and possesses various sinister shadow-based magics. However, it likes to take the Monkey's-Paw, literal-genie approach to obedience, and will try to do things you probably wouldn't want if you don't explicitly command otherwise. Summoning the Shadow gives it a Shadow Point.
avatar
GentlemanOtherwise
Background Pony
Background Pony

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-11-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Caden2112 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 am

I. Like. That one. SO MUCH. Might need a little fine-tuning, but it's a heck of an idea.
avatar
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2012-12-02
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:24 am

Hrm. That's an interesting concept... but it's a little beyond the scope of this project.

Perhaps we ought to make a Familiars supplement? That would be an ideal place for your Shadow idea.
avatar
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1251
Join date : 2012-11-16
Age : 25
Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum