Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assassin’s Gambit d12 special

+3
SilentBelle
Paper Shadow
Xel Unknown
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Assassin’s Gambit d12 special Empty Assassin’s Gambit d12 special

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Personally, while I love the three new specials The Art of War update gave use to work with. But the Assassin's Gambit d12 special, is very underwelaming... A good 11 times out of 12, it'll do nothing, and when it does something, you might end up. Killing a monster you didn't wish to given it's wording... (I mean as it's worded right now, a GM should count it's effects as having killed the enemy regardless... But I diegress...)

So um... I was thinking maybe allowing it to also have multiteared effects, like I'd suggest allowing a chance to trigger BOTH the d8 and d10 special, or allowing to do an effect that's a mix of the other two effects but more poweful? Just, I find it wrong, because getting a critial that has a high chance of DOING NOTHING isn't what a special should do. At worst it should only be a 50-50 change of doing nothing... Even with the power to auto-kill any monster, I still find it, lacking. Sure when it was new I liked it, but after thinking it over. It need to do more. Or be reworked... Not saying it's bad, just thinking it could use a minor buff of some kind is all.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Assassin’s Gambit d12 special Empty Re: Assassin’s Gambit d12 special

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I posted this on the Art of War thread, but no one replied, so let me post it here as well...

Paper Shadow wrote:So, I have been thinking about the Assassin's Gambit 12 Crit. I feel that, while an insta-kill is indeed incredibly powerful, if you fail the second throw, you get nothing, which makes the move very weak when compared to other Special Moves, most importantly the Derpy's Lightning/It's Over combo. To compare, the latter (usually) has a 1/5 chance to trigger its killing move, although it is weaker than the insta-kill, but if you don't get it, you still get something from one of your other moves. And while it means you have to take It's Over into combat to do that, while Assassin's Gambit is always there, it is still more efficient to do that for each combat scenario than risk it on Assassin's Gambit. I understand that not every crit is equal (after all, the Be Prepared 8 Crit is much better than the Derpy's Lightning 8 Crit), but I believe the 12 Crit is the centrepiece of Assassin's Gambit, the main reason one would get it. The 8 Crit is nice, and may actually be the real centrepiece, and although I'm not a fan of the 10 Crit, people who focus more on damage than survivability will like it, the 12 Crit is the thing that screams Assassin, and it would be nice if it felt better to use...

Now, I'm not saying make it do a lot if you do fail. After all, the design is All-or-Nothing. But I believe that it would feel better as a Special Move if it did something, even if that something is very small. A consolation prize, if you will. Even something like Ongoing Damage 1 (Save Ends). It turns the failure from "Well, that was a waste," to "Well, it's something."

So; what do you think about that?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:27 pm

I'll toss up some suggestions to mull over Smile
Maybe, if on a 12 it kills, on a 10 it activates the 10 special, and on an 8 it activates the 8 special?
-Or maybe for each time it's activated in a battle you can choose to add 1 to the total roll?
-Or maybe it should do damage to target enemy equal half the amount of missing HP they have and on a 12 it still kills? (probably my favourite of these ideas)
-Or perhaps on a roll of 11 or less, you get a free standard action that must be used immediately
-Or you cause the enemy to deal 3 less damage to targets that aren't you, this effect ends at the end of your next turn.

I definitely feel that it needs something to make it worthwhile, personally, I would never choose that particular special just because of the the 12 crit it currently has.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 pm

I think any of your suggested moves would fix that special's weakness...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 am

>Or maybe it should do damage to target enemy equal half the amount of missing HP they have and on a 12 it still kills? (probably my favourite of these ideas)

If this because it's thing. I'd take it on all kinds of things cause that would be epic.
Maybe have it though, it does a percentage of the damage depending on what you roll?

So.
1-5 - 20%
6-10 - 40%
11-15 - 60%
16-19- 80%
20 - Instant kill.

Maths isn't my thing, so the numbers may need to be reworked but you get the basic gist I'm sure.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 am

ONly fact is that by the fact that Dazzling Performance's d10 is better just because it has a fifty present to do SOMETHING, and it got better odds if you aren't dealing with a solo more so then having a crit that do nothing. Regardless of how powerful it's effect is, being only a one in 12 of haveing what's ALREADY A ONE IN 12 change of tiggering, makes it pointless and sad. I'd sill be arguing that it's bad, EVEN IF IT HAD YOU WIN THE CAMPAIGN by triggering a second 12...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:1-5 - 20%
6-10 - 40%
11-15 - 60%
16-19- 80%
20 - Instant kill.
That's working with a d20 roll, not a d12 roll... But not sure if that works... For it's power, making it have it always do something that powerful is a bit OP... Think about what Critfisher can be used to just kill everything by triggering that move just more then once you'll get a good deal of damage output for nothing.

So I do say having the d12 move got some odds of doing nothing isn't unfair, but I'm just arging that having said odds of doing nothing be 11/12 is TOO HIGH... It shouldn't be higher then 50% odds with a special, and even then, the only way to justify such a HIGH odds is that the special should be able to hit all monesters making the odds of failure being more fuildic... So by that logic the only way to justify odds of 11/12 to do nothing would be "Auto-Win Campaign" in my mind, cause it's so unlikely to do anything in a fight.

I personally think having it be a 25% - 50% chance of doing nothing (the lower, the better I agure) next we gotta pick out what the other outcomes it does really do.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Personally, I think that:

- the d8 needs to be improved: The Vuln2 is a low amount for special (regular abilities can do the same/more, albeit shorter), doesn't stack with other vuln sources and only benefits the owner of the special, meaning that in order to benefit from it, you must then follow up with an attack, without getting KO'd in the meantime.

- the d10 is powerful, but the risk is stupidly huge, too big to be useful when it triggers. Bosses are viable to instantly knock you out, knock you comatose, or even *kill* you in one shot. Most people wouldn't be able to take the risk, and would be stuck with a special they can't afford to use. The whole risk mechanic doesn't even really fit a "assassin" type character, this looks more like a juggernaut/berzerker special.

- the d12 is story/plot/campaign/character breaking when it works, and is utterly useless otherwise. First off, the "kill" should be changed to "defeated/knocked comatose", or give a choice between KO'ing, defeating or killing your opponent, so that you aren't faced with a morality issue if it triggers off a creature you DON'T want it to be used on. It should also have a use, *any* use, if the roll fails, otherwise the special feature becomes very disappointing (and, likely, never used).

Here's my idea of how it can be reworked:

Assassin's Gambit - reworked
8: Choose target creature. That creature becomes your “Mark”, suffering an extra 4 damage against your abilities. The extra damage caused by the mark decreases by 1 each time it is triggered. Re-applying a "Mark" sets it back to a value of 4 extra damage.

10: Choose target creature. That creature is "Doomed" for the rest of the encounter. Any "Doomed" creature must flip a coin when damaged by any source of damage that you inflicted. If heads, that value is doubled.

12: Roll a d12. If the result is a 12, you may choose to KO, defeat, or kill (at DM's discretion) a target creature. For any other die result, inflict 1/4 of the target creature's current hitpoints as damage. This value cannot be influenced (resist, vulnerability, double damage, etc) in any way.

Last edited by Zarhon on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Again, I aruge that dealing power to deal 1/4th of anything's HP... IS TOO POWERFUL... All you need is just to trigger a d12 special four times (something easily done with Critfisher) and then you win all fights. Other then that, great suggestions to fix that special. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Again, I aruge that dealing power to deal 1/4th of anything's HP... IS TOO POWERFUL... All you need is just to trigger a d12 special four times (something easily done with Critfisher) and then you win all fights. Other then that, great suggestions to fix that special. :3

Wrong! The reworked version of the special is for current hp, not total, so it gets weaker as the boss loses hp. The talent is at its strongest at the start of a fight, when its at max hp. If the enemy has 12 hp out of a total of 100, you do only 3 damage, not 20. And the only way to KO something with it is to either roll the 12 on the d12, or if the enemy has 1hp. So yes, it's powerful, and but only if you get it right at the start (much like its "kill" function), as the fight goes on, it becomes less useful (but useful nonetheless).

I've edited it slightly though, so it can't be affected by stuff like vulnerability, resist or double damage.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Ah, didn't notice that, now it looks perfect. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Here's another I thought of, no insta-kill for it, instead:

Choose one:
A) Deal target unbloodied creature 2d12 damage.
B) Reduce target bloodied creature's HP by half the amount of damage it has already taken. (this reduces HP, doesn't deal damage, thus can't be resisted or affected by vulnerability.)

Zarhon's would be great for early hits on solo monsters, no question there (almost too powerful against an end boss if you got it on the first turn) but it loses it's effectiveness as the battle goes on. While this one would be great for about round 4 of combat against a solo (Assuming a normal 5-6 round combat) and it also is effective against single monsters, and can kill minions too if you had to.

I'd be happy to see other ideas too, so long as we eventually get this ability changed a bit Smile
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Given that an Assassin’s Job is to kill quickly, having a special that doesn't work great on longer fights, makes sense given it's name.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Personally, while I love the three new specials The Art of War update gave use to work with. But the Assassin's Gambit d12 special, is very underwelaming... A good 11 times out of 12, it'll do nothing, and when it does something, you might end up. Killing a monster you didn't wish to given it's wording... (I mean as it's worded right now, a GM should count it's effects as having killed the enemy regardless... But I diegress...)

So um... I was thinking maybe allowing it to also have multiteared effects, like I'd suggest allowing a chance to trigger BOTH the d8 and d10 special, or allowing to do an effect that's a mix of the other two effects but more poweful? Just, I find it wrong, because getting a critial that has a high chance of DOING NOTHING isn't what a special should do. At worst it should only be a 50-50 change of doing nothing... Even with the power to auto-kill any monster, I still find it, lacking. Sure when it was new I liked it, but after thinking it over. It need to do more. Or be reworked... Not saying it's bad, just thinking it could use a minor buff of some kind is all.

Really busy right now, but let me write a quick reply.

I completely agree. All the original drafts of the ability had a version of doing something if you don't roll the 12 and doing the instant-kill if you do roll the 12. They also gave you the 'may' option to kill the creature. They looked something like this.

12: Roll a d12. If you roll an 11 or lower, target creature suffers vulnerability 2 against your attacks until the end of your next turn. If you roll a 12, you may kill target creature.

However, while that gives you all the mechanical things people want out of the power (the may option to kill a creature and knowing that you won't ever completely whiff on the special)... It's really a clunky read. Sure, it's simple - but the power's multiple outcomes and effects seem to downplay the sheer awesomeness of just killing the creature. The simplicity makes the power just look... So cool. So the next draft tried this.

12: Roll a d12. If you roll a 12, you may kill target creature.

The shock and awe value of this text felt a lot higher. Sure, it's technically not as good as the lengthier version, but it *feels* more awesome. The ability stands on its own and is vivid and exciting. It showcases that this is all about the chance of instantly killing something, not just having that as the cherry-on-top of another ability. In short, less reliable - but seems so much cooler.

The 'you may' seemed to soften the raw lethality of the power too for some reason... So another change.

12: Roll a d12. If you roll a 12, kill target creature.

While running into all the design issues mentioned above and in this thread, this version just created the raw shock and awe value that we wanted to create with the power. And it definitely got a huge buzz. Half the initial readers of The Art of War specifically shouted out how excited they were about that special. The presentation definitely works.

The issue is a decision between presentation and substance. One version is mechanically more satisfying, the other is much more exciting when read on its own. I could easily see changing the power to reliably generate a small benefit, it makes complete sense for gameplay, but it doesn't have the same shock and awe factor.

So it's a trade-off. Not sure if we'll edit it one way or the other.

Anyway, that's the rationale behind the original design - just so you know what we were thinking. santa
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:24 am

The "shock and awe" only goes so far until you start to think about the special in question... So as is, it's all flash, with most of the time no boom, and when it does give you a boom, it's got the might and power of A NUKE that you had used in combat given the aftereffects that would happen from role playing off the effect of having just KILLED something without question, and for the GM it might've been something you that was meant to be like a major character of the whole campaign that wasn't meant to die in this fight... And as pointed out by Zarhon, the other two parts of this special aren't so great either, and the d10 most of all doesn't fit so much with the "default" flavor one could say. Cause getting double damage in a two way street seems to be more a type of berzaker build then an "Assassin" type of effect.

And I do enjoy seeing the whole "bad logic" that was used to mess up the special in such a way.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 am

Xel Unknown wrote:The "shock and awe" only goes so far until you start to think about the special in question...

Some players absolutely love that special, so not sure that it dies down the more you think about it. Some players love rolling the dice and taking their chances, which is why we make things like coin-flip powers. I'd prefer if the power did do something when you didn't trigger the d12 though, though I might be biased (as my playstyle is always to go for the reliable).

Xel Unknown wrote:t might've been something you that was meant to be like a major character of the whole campaign that wasn't meant to die in this fight...

We think that this isn't a big issue for two reasons.

1) The chances are incredibly small of this happening in the critical fight against the big bad (the penultimate climactic battle before the big bad would be defeated - these battles don't happen regularly).

2) If it does happen... It would feel AWESOME as a player to see the 12 come up and get to kill Voldemort instantly. I still remember how cool it felt in playing a pokemon game when my level 3 togepei - in fighting a gym leader much stronger than me (my whole team got wiped) used metronome... Getting to use a move at random... And somehow landed on Horn Drill (one of hundreds of moves that could have been selected, horn drill only hits 30% of the time but insta-kills if it does hit) and then it HIT... And the gym leader's last pokemon fell down. Victory! I told that story for weeks and... Well, years I guess. I'm still telling it today.

That kind of moment is so raw awesome that we think it would be a positive note in the campaign, not a negative one. I know I as a DM would love to see this happen to my big bad. My players would feel awesome.

Xel Unknown wrote:the d10 most of all doesn't fit so much with the "default" flavor one could say. Cause getting double damage in a two way street seems to be more a type of berzaker build then an "Assassin" type of effect.

Can't say that I fully agree. The ability is extremely risky and helps you mark an enemy for death. It does an assassin-thing and it puts you at risk.. So it's a gambit. Gambits in chess involve sacrificing pieces for a powerful attack. So while I can definitely see that it does fit with a berserker's flavor, I'd say it fits with an "Assassin's Gambit" flavor too.

That said, definitely looking forward to reading everyone's ideas on alternate options for the specials. They were added at the end of Art of War development because Kindulas felt there should be an expansion for them too, and this would be a good place to work them in. We agreed, but everything else was ready to release - so we didn't give them as much attention as the rest of the expansion.

And I do enjoy seeing the whole "bad logic" that was used to mess up the special in such a way.

Not sure this was necessary. Furthermore, as the special has been by far the most popular of all the new specials - despite the fact that you seem to find flaws with every aspect of it - and that it definitely got the shock and awe reaction we were looking for (fun fact - even more people have written to me saying that the 12 move is too powerful than have written to me saying that it's underpowered)... I think the trade-off was a calculated judgment call. Not saying that we were right of course. =)

We also didn't want everyone in the group to actually use the 12 power too much, which is another reason we made it do nothing when not triggering a 12. That way players could appreciate the ability but it would be less likely that whole teams would try to build around it. Multiplying the people triggering the special by 4-5 (average party size) and the number of instant kills goes up. This makes it both feel much less special and more troublesome in adventure design.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 am

Look to Zarhon's qouted post first, this tagged rant need not be read if you are hear to talk about improving the special itself:
skippible rant:
When it comes to a suggested edit, I say go with Zarhon's, cause it's just so very perfect, even got a friend of mine to be able to use it. This post from the other page:
Zarhon wrote:Personally, I think that:

- the d8 needs to be improved: The Vuln2 is a low amount for special (regular abilities can do the same/more, albeit shorter), doesn't stack with other vuln sources and only benefits the owner of the special, meaning that in order to benefit from it, you must then follow up with an attack, without getting KO'd in the meantime.

- the d10 is powerful, but the risk is stupidly huge, too big to be useful when it triggers. Bosses are viable to instantly knock you out, knock you comatose, or even *kill* you in one shot. Most people wouldn't be able to take the risk, and would be stuck with a special they can't afford to use. The whole risk mechanic doesn't even really fit a "assassin" type character, this looks more like a juggernaut/berzerker special.

- the d12 is story/plot/campaign/character breaking when it works, and is utterly useless otherwise. First off, the "kill" should be changed to "defeated/knocked comatose", or give a choice between KO'ing, defeating or killing your opponent, so that you aren't faced with a morality issue if it triggers off a creature you DON'T want it to be used on. It should also have a use, *any* use, if the roll fails, otherwise the special feature becomes very disappointing (and, likely, never used).

Here's my idea of how it can be reworked:

Assassin's Gambit - reworked
8: Choose target creature. That creature becomes your “Mark”, suffering an extra 4 damage against your abilities. The extra damage caused by the mark decreases by 1 each time it is triggered. Re-applying a "Mark" sets it back to a value of 4 extra damage.

10: Choose target creature. That creature is "Doomed" for the rest of the encounter. Any "Doomed" creature must flip a coin when damaged by any source of damage that you inflicted. If heads, that value is doubled.

12: Roll a d12. If the result is a 12, you may choose to KO, defeat, or kill (at DM's discretion) a target creature. For any other die result, inflict 1/4 of the target creature's current hitpoints as damage. This value cannot be influenced (resist, vulnerability, double damage, etc) in any way.

Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:33 am

Hmm, horndrill, through metronome would never work in the current versions sadly... since it's based on level... Still must have been a great moment.

Heh, I just wanted a reliable assassin move in place of an insta-kill. If I were building an assassin-style character currently, I'd probably take the Be Prepared special instead. But, I've always been one to choose reliable over random Razz I kind of felt that the d12 special was a big jump in 'theme' from the other two triggers, sure it's shocking, but it doesn't really keep the theme. I figured it should kind of go for a 'choose target creature, it suffers X effect until end of encounter' like the others.

I'd aim for something like: 12 crit:
Choose a target creature that creature receives a Death Counter. Until the end of the encounter, as a minor action you may us the following attack.
[0] Death Strike - Minor Attack
Deal Xd12 damage to target creature that has at least one Death Counter, where X is the number of Death Counters that creature has.

I don't know the inst-kill just feels off somehow... that's how I feel anyway, but if other people like that move, well then I'll just stick with Be Prepared.

And as for that suggestion Xel, I'd even recommend ditching insta-kill on the d12 altogether, but it could be that I'm just a monster sympathizer or something Razz
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:40 am

Definitely will go over Zarhon's no-doubt excellent analysis (didn't he write, like, half The Talent Show expansion? =) ) When I get the time to give the full critiques their due attention. I only have time to respond to explain why we made this thing so very different from how we usually design things. There's been clearly a lot of great discussion here, and I thought you guys deserved to hear what was going on in our often-silly heads. : santa

response to other stuff:
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 am

I wont disagree, the idea of removing the auto-kill might be a good move for the special. And your suggestion might just be the way to equal the power, but that idea might be broken if used in a Critfisher combo...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 am

Heh, I just wanted a reliable assassin move in place of an insta-kill.

Gah! Want to respond to all these great posts! But packing for college again... Curses!

Will say one last thing though before getting at least *some* more packing done. If you want reliable assassin moves, perhaps we should take these ideas and make a new Assassin Special to be added to the system. After all, there seem to be a lot of great ones and there's a lot of design space left in Specials. We have around 200 combat talents but less than 10 specials (unless I counted wrong). That way those that love the insta-kill lottery and want their own togepi moments can have it and those that want to build a well-rounded assassin character can have their own.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 am

A skippable wall of text that probably doesn't concern the discussed topic anymore:
EDIT: Aaaand looks like my rant argument got invalidated while I was typing it out (about an 5-6 replies ago). Oh well.

TLDR, the "coolness" mentality is only cool if it works, or has reasonable chance of benefiting the character in exchange for the lost reliability and combat utility. If it doesn't, you instead get a huge letdown and the player is unlikely to want to use it again out of experience.

Last edited by Zarhon on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:01 am

Don't feel bad, I'm of the type that feels ranting is better to get out in a friendly enverment then letting it fester inside of you. And this is getting more people's views across to Dan and the rest of the people here, I hope, so that'll be something. :3

As long as we don't let it distract form the main topic of improving The Gambit Special, everyone's happy. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 am

If we can craft a new special out of this, that would be awesome Very Happy
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:20 am

By the way Silent, I foresee me building you a reaper monster that works around this Death Counter idea you've suggested here...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next