Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The P-Files (XandZero2's Game: Sign-up and OOC)

+6
Dr Blight
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Yawnmon
XandZero2
Cardbo
10 posters

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

The P-Files (XandZero2's Game: Sign-up and OOC) - Page 6 Empty Re: The P-Files (XandZero2's Game: Sign-up and OOC)

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 am

@Everypony:

It's come to my attention that I should post an official statement - but as the GM, in the sake of game balance, and in order to (hopefully) keep the game fun for everypony, I reserve the right to ask you guys to edit your characters if, in my opinion, anything about them proves to be too powerful. I would like everyone to feel like they're contributing in the game, and also that their powers are unique and special. Sometimes I'll allow something at first, thinking that it won't be a problem, only to realize later that it was waaaaaaaaaay too OP. Like I mentioned above, when that happens I will discuss it with you, and hopefully we can come to some kind of agreement as to what should be done.

Hopefully that's okay with everypony?

-Keep in mind guys, like I've said before many times, the end goal of this RP is for everyone to have fun and enjoy themselves, but sometimes when one player is way more powerful than the rest of the party, it can detract from the fun that the rest of the party has. That's something I want to avoid if possible.

-Aaaaaand... Hopefully that all makes sense (:

As an example of OP-ness taking away the fun from a game - I played in a campaign once when my friends and I were all still relatively new to RPs. We had a party that consisted of a human druid, a human gun-mage (spellcaster with handguns), a half-troll paladin, and... basically a barbarian from this werewolf race.

-Now, this wouldn't have been a problem, if we had known that the werewolf had a "Level-Adjustment of +5." For those unfamiliar with the term, in 3.5 D&D, level adjustment told you how many extra levels certain races 'counted as' even at level 1, and at lvl 1, this werewolf guy was supposed to be just as powerful as a lvl 6 character!

The real problem came from the fact that since we didn't know about Lvl Adjustment, and our PCs were all the same character level (not adjusted lvl - but character lvl), the barbarian was seriously OP compared to everyone else, so much so that, when faced with a battle of any kind, he would almost hands-down blow away everything while everyone else was left eating his dust. It didn't prove to be fun for the rest of us because we didn't feel like we were really contributing anything to the game when it came to fighting. This was because, while the rest of us were lvl 2 or 3, the Barb was effectively lvl 7 and 8!

-So yeah, my point is that I want to avoid things like that, and make is so that everypony feels like they're contributing.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

The P-Files (XandZero2's Game: Sign-up and OOC) - Page 6 Empty Re: The P-Files (XandZero2's Game: Sign-up and OOC)

Post  Ramsus Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:33 am

Well, if it's any satisfaction, by the time you guys were actually level 7 that barbarian would be crying about how crappy he was. Because yeah, level adjustment was a horribly balanced mechanic.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Yawnmon Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 am

XandZero2 wrote:@Everypony:
Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1nGH4VBEQ
Friends. Family. We have gathered here today to honor the memory of the late Freaky Knowledge: Flying & Weather Crafting. He died young, but doing what he loved. Making Blade Blocker more badass than he should have. I ask now for a moment of silence as we lay our comrade and ally to rest...
Alright that's done. I'm taking this in it's place in case you guys are curious.
Spoiler:
Yawnmon
Yawnmon
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 am

Yeah, okay...

So I asked Yawn to change his FK Flight because I started to see that it was too good of an ability when put up against Flying Ace (which does the same thing as FK Flight, but also has a prerequisite of something like 3 other utilities before you can get it). While we were at it, Yawn drew my attention to "TSTL," and I thought it would probably be best to change FK Weather-Crafting too. Yawn decided to just take TSTL instead of getting a new FK.

-I didn't mean to scare anyone, just to warn them that I might do something like this to them at some point in the future.

Aaaaaaaaaand... while on this subject...

I realized recently that Coffee Mug has this combat talent:

[-3] Eclipse (Despair)
Deal 2d12 to all enemies with save-ends effects.

-And in tandem with that one custom combat trait that allows Draw Blood to hit three targets, I think it sounds just too nasty.

Cardbo, would you mind choosing another combat trait? I know I originally gave you the okay to use your trait, but after realizing that combo, it just seems too good.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 am

XandZero2 wrote:

I realized recently that Coffee Mug has this combat talent:

[-3] Eclipse (Despair)
Deal 2d12 to all enemies with save-ends effects.

-And in tandem with that one custom combat trait that allows Draw Blood to hit three targets, I think it sounds just too nasty.

Cardbo, would you mind choosing another combat trait? I know I originally gave you the okay to use your trait, but after realizing that combo, it just seems too good.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!! My brilliant strategy! Ruined!

/lightning arcs everywhere.

/shakes hooves to heavens

/milks giant cow

Ok. I'm done. How about

Cutscene Immunity [Created by Zarhorn]
Your conjurations cannot be targeted by enemy attacks until the end of their second turn.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

^Much better. Thank you (:

Sorry again if I scared you guys with that post last night. Yawn seemed kind of bummed out when I first asked him about cutting FK Flight, so I just wanted everypony to know where I stood on OP-ness and GM retcons.

-And now to work on an IC post...
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

XandZero2 wrote:^Much better. Thank you (:

Sorry again if I scared you guys with that post last night. Yawn seemed kind of bummed out when I first asked him about cutting FK Flight, so I just wanted everypony to know where I stood on OP-ness and GM retcons.

-And now to work on an IC post...

Ok, so I'll take Cutscene Immunity, but just out of curiosity, could I have taken Grenade if it had cost 3 pips to activate instead of 2?
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Cardbo wrote:
Ok, so I'll take Cutscene Immunity, but just out of curiosity, could I have taken Grenade if it had cost 3 pips to activate instead of 2?

To tell you the truth, I'm honestly not sure what would make that ability balanced. 3 pips to use might do it, but it would definitely need some playtesting. It still might be too strong.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Yawnmon Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 pm

XandZero2 wrote:
Spoiler:
Cardbo wrote:Do I get back my "I Make My Own Fate"? I rolled 10.9,9. Alternately, I still have a stored 17 from my previous session.
Yes Cardbo, you get it back =P
Yawnmon
Yawnmon
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am

Yawnmon wrote:
XandZero2 wrote:
Spoiler:
Cardbo wrote:Do I get back my "I Make My Own Fate"? I rolled 10.9,9. Alternately, I still have a stored 17 from my previous session.
Yes Cardbo, you get it back =P

Huh. Guess I missed that.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask. Why does Whisper have Telepathy? I don't see the talent on her sheet. Does she just think she has telepathy and really doesn't?
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 am

Whisper in fact, does not have telepathy. Merely that Xand I guess is allowing us to rule that Chitin's telepathy is two way, so long as both participants are willing. Not entirely sure, as we never really asked nor was any comment really made.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 am

Ramsus wrote:Whisper in fact, does not have telepathy. Merely that Xand I guess is allowing us to rule that Chitin's telepathy is two way, so long as both participants are willing. Not entirely sure, as we never really asked nor was any comment really made.

Ok. That'll probably be useful ahead.

@Yawnmon
Try having Blade Block reply back telepathically.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 am

Yeah, to be clear, I've always assumed that Telepathy could be a two-way thing - just as long as ponies you're trying to communicate with allow it. That's usually how Telepathy works in pop culture, so I don't see any reason to change that here.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Yawnmon Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 am

Cardbo wrote:@Yawnmon
Try having Blade Block reply back telepathically.
You'll need to tell him that he can do that in character before he'll try it, seeing how you told him to whisper before. I'm a fairly strict non-meta-gamer.
Yawnmon
Yawnmon
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:33 am

I'm thinking again to not try out Quicken for this campaign... And wanta try out Form of the Serene Armadillo in place of that. That cool?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm

@Xel:

Serene Armadillo is fine.

@Cardbo:

I was thinking about it a bit, and you know? Maybe if your custom combat trait was like a once per battle or once per day thing it would be balanced? What do the rest of you guys think?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Once per day is the worst thing anything in combat can be. Once per battle I think would be ok.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm

So Grenade would cost 2 extra pips and be usuable once per battle. I'd be okay with that.

The main drawback with the Draw Blood/Despair combo is that you've got to wait a turn, unless you're doing it via Gather Energy. And during that turn, there's always the chance that your opponent may make their save. If you hit three opponents, you there's a good chance that at least one of them won't make their save.

EDIT: Suggest we make Whisper the Element of Laughter if she's not already. Smile
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't know that it needs the extra pip cost if it's only once per battle. I'll leave that up to Xand.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I was listening to this track while reading Xand's earlier update. It felt very appropriate. Thoughs on adding it the sound gallery?
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yawnmon Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Cardbo wrote:The main drawback with the Draw Blood/Despair combo is that you've got to wait a turn, unless you're doing it via Gather Energy. And during that turn, there's always the chance that your opponent may make their save. If you hit three opponents, you there's a good chance that at least one of them won't make their save.
You do have Gather Energy though so, that wouldn't really be a problem for you.
Yawnmon
Yawnmon
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Yawnmon wrote:
Cardbo wrote:The main drawback with the Draw Blood/Despair combo is that you've got to wait a turn, unless you're doing it via Gather Energy. And during that turn, there's always the chance that your opponent may make their save. If you hit three opponents, you there's a good chance that at least one of them won't make their save.
You do have Gather Energy though so, that wouldn't really be a problem for you.

True, but thats one more attack I need to take into battle that I can't use for something else.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yawnmon Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 pm

XandZero2 wrote:As Blade Blocker hefts up Coffee Mug and shoots out into the night full of fog, thoughts begin running through his mind so fast, he doesn't even feel the weight of the pony professor on his back. His flight is true and his speed is great - the only problem is... he has absolutely no idea where he's going.
I don't know what it's like for you guys since people tell me I have an amazing sense of direction, but I can pretty much always tell north from south and where everything in the city I'm in is in relation to that. I guess it didn't occur to me that Blade probably isn't as good at that as I am, but what would I roll for that? Mechanics? Streetwise?
Yawnmon
Yawnmon
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm pretty sure that's not normal. Also, BB's only been in this city for two days and didn't take a flight to go check the whole place out as far as I know.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Yawnmon wrote:
XandZero2 wrote:As Blade Blocker hefts up Coffee Mug and shoots out into the night full of fog, thoughts begin running through his mind so fast, he doesn't even feel the weight of the pony professor on his back. His flight is true and his speed is great - the only problem is... he has absolutely no idea where he's going.
I don't know what it's like for you guys since people tell me I have an amazing sense of direction, but I can pretty much always tell north from south and where everything in the city I'm in is in relation to that. I guess it didn't occur to me that Blade probably isn't as good at that as I am, but what would I roll for that? Mechanics? Streetwise?

Also, the fact is that its dark, though I could have Coffee's horn light things up more. Not sure if thats a good idea or not, since it'll serve as beacon for anything else that's not friendly out there.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next