Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed)

+4
Paper Shadow
Dusk Raven
Ramsus
Colter Bolt
8 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed) Empty Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed)

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 am

It is a time of great prosperity for Equestria. Advances are being made in magic and science everyday. However, not all of these scientific advancements are encouraged by the government. One pony has hidden a lab dedicated to to the experementation of genetic mutation on the various species of Equestria. These experiments have created monsters, so to ensuere his safety and the chance to experiment on these monsters more, the pony has locked all of his living experiments into cryogenic chambers. After years of experimenting, the lab loses power, releasing the monsters.

This is where you, the players come in. The six of you are experiments who have managed to hold on to your sanity. Now, I want the characters to be extremely creative in their appearance. If somehow this gets more than 6 people signing up, then I will be choosing based off of experience with the newer guy getting first pick and then character creativity. In the backstory, I also want a way that they stayed sane. As for character knowledge, everything that has been shown in MLP: FiM, whether is is the past or the present, has not happened. This is because of the fact that this takes long before the three tribes joined together. About a 1000 years before with a society more advanced than that of current Equestria, including mechs. Also, this is the first time being a GM, so feedback is extremely welcomed. And yes, this is PbP

Now, the extra content. If you want one and don't see it up here, leave a reply linking me to it. I'll look over it and decide. And if you want your character to have something from over in the "What's Missing?" threads, again, talk to me about it.
Paper Shadow's Combat Expansion.
Flaws The Flaw does count as a regular pick, not a freebie, so choose wisely.
Talent Specialization

Approved Experiments:
Thirteen the Swimmer Doubles as an easy way to get rid of organic trash. Played by Ramsus
Spark Impulse Because a bad OC is the worst monster of all. (Disclaimer: That is not how I feel about the character, the character's appearance just makes me think of bad OCs.) Played by SparkImpulse
The Asura Sisters One of the various security systems in the lab. And I promise now not to trap them in a bag of their own skin. Played by tygerburningbright
Marrow The Slime King Gak Gak Gak. Played by Cardbo
Cranial Crack The griffoncore that's electrifyingly heavy metal. Played by Paper Shadow

Last edited by Colter Bolt on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 am; edited 16 times in total
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed) Empty Re: Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed)

Post  Ramsus Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:09 am

Well, this sounds interesting. I'll sign up for now. Hmmmmmmm.

Edit: Here's what I've got so far. I'll do combat stuff later.
Thirteen
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed) Empty Re: Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed)

Post  Dusk Raven Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Wow, I saw the description and instantly, a picture I'd seen once came to mind... whether or not I'll be able to work a backstory around it or actually join is another matter...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Out of curiosity, what is the picture?
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Got my combat build done. Someone doing Drunken Brawler or other Warlord action granting stuff would compliment it well.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Colter Bolt wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the picture?

Link, because I don't know that Pixiv likes hotlinks.

If that doesn't spell Monster... although I'm not sure if it's usable because I have no idea what that might have originally been, if it were modified from something else. Still, something with the general shape might be usable...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:55 pm

I look at it and I see Minotaur, maybe a bit of Diamond Dog, and with all the advances in science and magic, who is to say that a Beholder is out of the question?
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:20 pm

I was thinking combination (literally) pony and... something monstrously humanoid.

Now, of course, my main problem is that this picture is something I'd have ascribed more to a final boss than a PC... but I think it's still awesome.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:

If that doesn't spell Monster... although I'm not sure if it's usable because I have no idea what that might have originally been, if it were modified from something else. Still, something with the general shape might be usable...
Do not worry, Paper Shadow is well-versed in Google-Fu...

So get this. The reason why the artist drew that picture is because it is what they thought was another picture by the thumbnail, but the other picture (which was linked in the description) turned out to be something completely different, so in a spur of the moment decision they decided to draw the version they saw. Apparently, according to the tags on both pictures, the second picture is a female personification of Nyarlathotep from the Cthulhu Mythos...

Nyarlathotep differs from the other beings in a number of ways. Most of them are exiled to stars, like Yog-Sothoth and Hastur, or sleeping and dreaming like Cthulhu; Nyarlathotep, however, is active and frequently walks the Earth in the guise of a human being, usually a tall, slim, joyous man. He has "a thousand" other forms, most of these reputed to be maddeningly horrific. Most of the Outer Gods have their own cults serving them; Nyarlathotep seems to serve these cults and take care of their affairs in their absence. Most of them use strange alien languages, while Nyarlathotep uses human languages and can be mistaken for a human being. Most importantly, while the other Outer Gods and Great Old Ones are often described as mindless or unfathomable, rather than truly malevolent, Nyarlathotep delights in cruelty, is deceptive and manipulative, and even cultivates followers and uses propaganda to achieve his goals. In this regard, he is probably the most human-like among them.

Nyarlathotep enacts the will of the Outer Gods, and is their messenger, heart and soul; he is also a servant of Azathoth, his father, whose wishes he immediately fulfills. Unlike the other Outer Gods, causing madness is more important and enjoyable than death and destruction to Nyarlathotep. It is suggested by some that he will destroy the human race and possibly the earth as well.
So, there you go...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed) Empty how often / how fast?

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 pm

So, I work near a computer ... I might be able to keep a PbP game rolling ... or some days I'll be asked to, you know ... work and won't be able to "say" anything 'til evening at the soonest. If that part is okay, I'd like to be considered.

So, Spark Impulse is actually an OC I shoved into a fan-fic I wrote ... personality wise I'm thinking of Will Smith's character from Men In Black. But that would be before his "retirement" from the royal guard.

Currently what I've got, I think, for racial stats is:

magic attunement 1
spider-climb 1
Almost like flying 1
Ponykinesis 1
Cutie Mark 2
naturally skilled 2

His legs have been swapped at this point, for llama legs (a little skinnier, a little taller, and his cloven hooves are like glue on a rocky surface) Also, at your discretion I'd like to keep "cloud walking" ... but as you see, he can no longer make his own clouds. That went away when the stillborn unicorn's horn was grafted into his nervous system. (so, if you've read Project Horizons, he's a bit like Blackjack in that he has the smallest horn you'll ever see. Or don't see; he doesn't actually trust magic OR unicorns, so he combs his forelock to hide his horn)

The magic attunement is from before the experiments ... his ability to "feel" magic as it was expended is what attracted the attention of the (not-so-) good doctor. As to his element affiliation ... I envision him primarily as attuned to loyalty, or maybe honesty ... but if it gets crowded I'd be happy with either magic (appropriate because as much as he hates it, magic is a part of him) or generosity (because he is a support character. Being a guard is boring, but important.)

I'll continue with this guy if you think there's room for him. He's willing to work with Dusk Raven's ... tentacled ... thing ... but only if he's not very magical. (hmm. Looks like he'd take "clever tail" about three times, yeah?)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote:

Do not worry, Paper Shadow is well-versed in Google-Fu...

So get this. The reason why the artist drew that picture is because it is what they thought was another picture by the thumbnail, but the other picture (which was linked in the description) turned out to be something completely different, so in a spur of the moment decision they decided to draw the version they saw. Apparently, according to the tags on both pictures, the second picture is a female personification of Nyarlathotep from the Cthulhu Mythos...

Nyarlathotep differs from the other beings in a number of ways. Most of them are exiled to stars, like Yog-Sothoth and Hastur, or sleeping and dreaming like Cthulhu; Nyarlathotep, however, is active and frequently walks the Earth in the guise of a human being, usually a tall, slim, joyous man. He has "a thousand" other forms, most of these reputed to be maddeningly horrific. Most of the Outer Gods have their own cults serving them; Nyarlathotep seems to serve these cults and take care of their affairs in their absence. Most of them use strange alien languages, while Nyarlathotep uses human languages and can be mistaken for a human being. Most importantly, while the other Outer Gods and Great Old Ones are often described as mindless or unfathomable, rather than truly malevolent, Nyarlathotep delights in cruelty, is deceptive and manipulative, and even cultivates followers and uses propaganda to achieve his goals. In this regard, he is probably the most human-like among them.

Nyarlathotep enacts the will of the Outer Gods, and is their messenger, heart and soul; he is also a servant of Azathoth, his father, whose wishes he immediately fulfills. Unlike the other Outer Gods, causing madness is more important and enjoyable than death and destruction to Nyarlathotep. It is suggested by some that he will destroy the human race and possibly the earth as well.
So, there you go...

Well. The More You Know.

Yes, I am quite familiar with Nyarlathotep... not quite ready to turn this thread into a Cosmic Horror Story too, though.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Well, if you can't figure out a way to do it, then yeah, I could easily find a way to make it a boss. That all makes much more sense as well, but I'm not planning on using the Mythos.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Spark, is that a character you've used a lot? Because personally I dislike it when people re-use the same character repeatedly instead of coming up with a new one. Especially as the later often is basically shoving a square peg into a circle hole. Is this character supposed to look the way the one in your pic does? Or is it a pony? Or something else base?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Ramsus wrote:Spark, is that a character you've used a lot? [...] Is this character supposed to look the way the one in your pic does? Or is it a pony? Or something else base?

Honestly I only have one character. Any "new" ones I create are just a re-styling to make sense for the setting. Gnoll sorcerer, no friends but not precisely unfriendly. Outside the societal system looking in, but not uncomfortable with their current place. Capable killer but not violent by nature. I think you get the picture.

And he's a pegasus, primarily. White coat, flaxen mane ... guard standard, really.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Wait, so they're all the same character, just different versions?
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Colter Bolt wrote:Wait, so they're all the same character, just different versions?
I think he means that the characters he makes all fit the same personality, not one character who is everything he plays...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:
I think he means that the characters he makes all fit the same personality, not one character who is everything he plays...
Closer. Personality tends to be, in action at least, me. I can only get so far "in character" and the gaps are filled in by my day to day life. That does aggravate a certain segment of player, I'll grant you.

Also the build ... I have certain types of things I'm drawn to, and I've come to realize that every time I make a new character in a new system, he's got a certain similarity to all the other characters I make. See my previous post about the contradictions that are a fundamental part of his makeup.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Well, alright. I can kind of understand. Anyways, I was thinking it over, and was wondering if you could spice the appearance up a bit. The racial traits are fine, just spice up what was mixed.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:08 pm

So, I updated the setting just a little bit, giving you a timeline of this in comparison to MLP.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Allele Science Laboratories OOC and Sign-Up (Sign-Ups closed) Empty How far is 'a bit'

Post  SparkImpulse Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:21 am

Colter Bolt wrote:Well, alright. I can kind of understand. Anyways, I was thinking it over, and was wondering if you could spice the appearance up a bit. The racial traits are fine, just spice up what was mixed.
So, link here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19kofX4ABgPNly5zrBj4Yu6cCHuvzaHATmYxVm7pxOso/edit?usp=sharing

My first character and maybe I'm leaning a bit too much toward unicorn-like abilities for a pony who explicitly mistrusts unicorns. Let me know if you think he looks ridiculous but otherwise ... He now has red stripes like a zebra from Fo:E, per the 'proditor' race ... and gently glowing green eyes which he's trying to ignore.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Do I sense a strong Aperture science theme running through here?   I'd like to make a character if a slot is still available, but am at work now, so no time.

Forgot I already have a character I could use.  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14yKBi-crN2orm2g6OEaWgT1G6zGzXfXsDN7rg6bq6y8/edit?usp=sharing

Needs some work, but thats the initial character.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm

I demand the slime pony takes More Than Meets the Eye!
(Disclaimer: Ramsus is not the GM and can't actually demand anything.)

The Metal Pony utility is hands down unfair.

You'll probably want to make a new combat build for it. Especially considering that combat build looks a lot like Coffee Mug's. You could probably do some good stuff with Paper Shadow's stuff. Maybe the Chill effect stuff. Or maybe some channels or such. *shrugs*

Edit: As always, I'm willing to help out to any extent. (Even making entire combat builds for people on my own.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Yeah, that Metal Pony does seem really unfair. And other than the name of the campaign, the fact that you're in a lab, and that there are robots, there is no Aperture theme. Though now I'm tempted to make a genetic mutation gun for an item... Anyways, Spark's Spark is now awaiting approval.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Metal Pony was originally based on the Metal Slime, which is a slime monster from Dragon Quest. It has low hp, extremely high defense, and the annoying tendency to run away before you can kill it. I could probably reduce it to 3x Day, which would make it the same as Leggo, I believe.

Added 'More Than Meets the Eye'.

The rest I'll take a look at later.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Meet the Asura sisters .
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next