Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dynamic Duo: Level 10

4 posters

Go down

Dynamic Duo: Level 10 Empty Dynamic Duo: Level 10

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Was looking over the rules and a question popped in my head concerning Dynamic Duo. The level 10 allows you to use your partner's Level 7 destiny. What happens if both partners chose Dynamic Duo? It seems entirely possible that a dedicated team might choose to do this.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Dynamic Duo: Level 10 Empty Re: Dynamic Duo: Level 10

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:06 pm

I was in a game where we had discussed doing that- short answer is don't. It's kind of confusing. When you consider the number of possible different trained skills you can have, compared to how many you would then supposedly gain training in, it's actually a pretty substantial waste. You'd have to check the actual math, but it comes out to something like each player gains training in 8 skills, assuming they don't share any skills with their partner, which totals 3 more skills than there are in the game.

That's only for skills, though. Everything else works out fine. So really, assuming you preplanned how the skills would be divided, if you don't care about wasting a few, you should be able to be trained in just about every skill, and have extra bonuses to all of them, as well as a compliment of other Talents. As long as you can keep track of what's going where, then it can be pretty imposing.

But like I said, we chose to stick to just one player, in order to get max effectiveness without wasting anything, or doubling up or what have you.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:Was looking over the rules and a question popped in my head concerning Dynamic Duo. The level 10 allows you to use your partner's Level 7 destiny. What happens if both partners chose Dynamic Duo? It seems entirely possible that a dedicated team might choose to do this.
First, welcome to the forums! Smile
Second, both ponies will get an additional two stacks of the level 7. Why two? The level 10 gives both you and your partner an extra stack of their level 7. This triggers separately for your partner, so both you and they get an extra stack of your level 7. It's a lot of sharing though, and it can get crazy trying to set up so that no shared talents or trained skills are wasted.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I actually find it to be an odd overlook to not take into account both having this destiny and thus the wasted points. The title makes it seem like something both would take unless it's a situation where only the "sidekick" takes DD and the main takes something else.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 am

It was designed to stack; and that if you want to get full benefit out of stacking to have to work for it.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Stack in what way? Basically, is it just supposed to be really good but there's a few leftovers or does it actually allow you to double train things if you both took DD? If the latter, perhaps it should be reworded to make that a little more clear. The former is still useful for a coordinated team despite the "waste", just trying to clarify things.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 pm

I had asked a while back, and you absolutely cannot stack training in the same skill- if two players take it, there will be leftovers. But, the level 10 gives you permanent bonuses to all skills your partner is trained in (and vice versa, I think), so doubled up that would be a permanent +10 to all skills.

Alternatively, There was another strategy wherein three people take it, all targeting the next person. But I don't remember exactly how the math played out on that one, though. Really complicated.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down