Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge (Part 3)

+5
Broken Logic
Ramsus
Lyntermas
Azarune
Zarhon
9 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge (Part 3) - Page 7 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 3)

Post  Ramsus Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:29 am

Awwwww, I want to see Rolf end up flipped head over heels by the cloak on his back.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 am

Horizon easily gets the same stew as Rolf, due to a notable lack of any lines for the time being.

Cloak roll:
The cloak is, after a brief struggle, is defeated in the wrestling match. It slams a fist against the table, as if in anger, then dips itself in the ink it was provided and then proceeds to shake Rolf's hand (smearing it with ink in the process), and becomes dormant.

Everyone in the dining room stares for a while, before returning to their respective meals.

How will Horizon eat with that mask on?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 am

Zarhon wrote:How will Horizon eat with that mask on?

Alas, Alay and Alack! What cruel fate, that I have been bested by my own hand! The mask I keep, to hide my face and keep me safe, doth ruin me, for I cannot partake of the nourishment of life while it clings to my visage, persistant in it's intended effort and duty! How might I be better off without it, yet dare I risk such odious vulnerability? I am besieged by boundless quandary, a paradox of vital necessity....

He takes his helmet off.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 am

Rolf stared at his hand for a few moments before using the napkin to try and wipe most of the ink off. "Well, that was an experience." He was glad he had managed to beat the cloak, but he hoped that the cloak's...maintenance would be worth the benefits.

Once he had gotten his hand and forehead as clean as they could, he stood up from the table. "Right then, off to see the mayor, barring any other surprises." He started to once again walk toward the mayor's office.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 pm

By which time Skitter had regained his composure and followed along.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:35 am

Since nothing else is going on, verse two!

"Pelor, o Pelor
have mercy on thee.
Such precious life flows within.
Can you forgive him
his weakness and sins?
Pelor, deliver him here..."
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 am

Skitter groans at Jer's singing.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:59 am

Ramsus wrote:Skitter groans at Jer's singing.

Jer's outside at the ritual with Zthulan, while the rest of us are in the dining hall. Unless dhampyr kobolds have super hearing or just know when the name "Pelor" is used within 50 feet of them.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:12 am

It carries! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:23 am

If the others are going to finally meet the mayor, Horizon will stick around and have seconds (he didn't have breakfast this morning), and then go find Jeraylia and/or Tiffany and see what's up with them.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 am

The chefs don't let Horizon have seconds - mostly because they're rationing their supplies where they can. Going outside, he can see Jeraylia helping out Zthulan (via song, apparently), while Tiffany is tending to other wounded.

Skitter feels his scales "acting up" ever since he arrived here, but something outside, is making them positively livid.

Still waiting for Zthulan's roll (and then Jeraylia's). Mayor talk coming soon(tm).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 am

With the preparations are complete Zthulan begins the ritual of healing. A strange combination of medical treatment and magical aid a soft chant comes from the shaman. The chanting stops momentarily as Jeraylia sings, but soon Zthulan tries his best for the chant to flow smoothly with the song.

Healing: 18(1d20) + 13 (Expert) + 5(FK: Shamanistic Rituals) = 36
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 am

What's the new roll for? Heal is 9, persuasion 14. Add whichever's relevant.
Base roll (1d20): 15

Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Still hungry, Horizon walks over to Tiffany. "So, how's your head? Bash it against anything recently?"
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:51 pm

The leg healing appears to be progressing rather smoothly - the necrotic tissue is starting to revert to its original form.

Tiffany responds to Horizon. "Nope. Well, once, actually, in self-defense. And you? Cleverly 'disarmed' any more bombs while I was gone?"

Skitter and Rolf are lead into the meeting room. In addition to a number of guards, a mustachioed man, wearing a regal, formal-looking outfit under a military chain-shirt, with a top-hat adorned with a feather, is seated next to a table with what appears to be a map of the city covered in markings and small flags, smoking a straight pipe. A paladin in slightly-tarnished armor, and a soldier of high rank, judging by his regal-looking City Guard uniform/armor, are standing beside him, arguing over something. The trio looks up at the new arrivals.

"Ah, unless my judge of worldly attire is mistaken, you must be the adventurers that saved the day at the temple. Hmm, weren't there supposed to be more of you? An introduction is an order, I believe: Mayor Salazar Dale, of Fezaris, and my associates, Sir Giles of the temple, and Captain Tyler of the City Guard."

"I expected they'd be taller.", the Captain replies.

One more heal check to go, Zthulan.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Giles huh? I like it.

Healing:... Nat20 + 13(Expert) + 5(FK: Shamanistic Rituals: 38.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Zarhon wrote: Skitter and Rolf are lead into the meeting room. In addition to a number of guards, a mustachioed man, wearing a regal, formal-looking outfit under a military chain-shirt, with a top-hat adorned with a feather, is seated next to a table with what appears to be a map of the city covered in markings and small flags, smoking a straight pipe. A paladin in slightly-tarnished armor, and a soldier of high rank, judging by his regal-looking City Guard uniform/armor, are standing beside him, arguing over something. The trio looks up at the new arrivals.

"Ah, unless my judge of worldly attire is mistaken, you must be the adventurers that saved the day at the temple. Hmm, weren't there supposed to be more of you? An introduction is an order, I believe: Mayor Salazar Dale, of Fezaris, and my associates, Sir Giles of the temple, and Captain Tyler of the City Guard."

"I expected they'd be taller.", the Captain replies.

Rolf gave a respectful bow. "Good day, sirs. I am Rolf Towden, apprentice of High Wizard Nester Bartholomew. This is my compatriot, Skitter. Our two healers, Zthulan Ydal and Jeraylia Shale, are currently tending to your wounded as best as they can, and Horizon is...probably eating a well-deserved meal right now. Now, I'm sure that Tiffany and Sir Giles have briefed you on most of the situation, so allow me to try to fill the developments we've uncovered since they left the temple."

"We found that there were a system of tunnels in the graveyard near the temple and did our best to explore them. We have confirmed that, yes, this is the "original" Zilean we are dealing with. Apparently, some kobolds were using the tunnels to try robbing coffins in the graveyard from below, and when they found Zilean's coffin, they undid the enchantments and opened it, allowing Zilean to escape. It turned out Zilean had left a magical amulet as trap for anyone who examined the coffin, but we managed to escape, and were even able to use the amulet to try and scry for his location. Unfortunately, we were only able to determine that Zilean was controlling the amulet from roughly the direction of where the first large-scale bomb exploded in the town, near the drinking contest, before the amulet tried to self-destruct. Fortunately, there were no casualties, although the graveyard now has a large hole in it."

"On our way to meet with you, we found a cultist accosting a little girl with his zombies. We managed to dispatch the cultist and save the girl, but when we examined the girl for injury, we found that she was malnourished and had a manacle-like bruise on her leg. The girl managed to lead us to where her captors had held her, a botanical garden in one of the town squares. We heard undead within and suspect that it may be one of the bases for the cultists. After finding it, we then headed straight here."

"Now, this may be a little review, but I think these points are important to state. First, if you manage to dispatch some of the cultists, you need to instruct your men to search them for these." Rolf pulled out his red divination gem. "These amulets are used to see invisible text on their messages and, more importantly, allow you to see invisible cultists and bombs, so they are important to get a hold of. Second, if you encounter one of the bombs, it should be relatively stable unless exposed to extreme heat. However, if they are exposed to heat, they not only explode, but also produce a purple gas that reacts with dead flesh and bone, creating strong creatures that are uncontrollable, even by the cultists themselves. Sir Giles may have already told you about the "blood skeletons" he encountered and the large bone creature that came out of the catacombs. The bomb may be held in place with mineral glue, which can be loosened either by freezing it or using a rose/palm oil mixture that is used in temple rituals. Finally, Zilean sometimes likes to make "public appearances". If you see him, IMMEDIATELY send officers to scout the surrounding area, preferably with the red amulets. Zilean is a big fan of "misdirection", and while he is a powerful foe in and of himself, chances are that if he wants you to look at him, there's something else that he DOESN'T want you to look at."

"And...that's all I can think of for the moment. Do you have any questions for me, or is there more pressing information that we need to be informed of?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Azarune wrote:Giles huh? I like it.

He's been mentioned before, was he not? Also, congratulations on your first cutie mark critical! Very Happy

With the last burst of magic, Zthulan unleashes a truly powerful incantation. The patient is imbued with restorative power in a blinding glow which not only completely restores the patient's leg to perfect health, but the rest of him as well - minor cuts seal up, and his feverish color clears immediately. Surprisingly, the effects don't stop there, as the patient's muscles start to twitch, visibly expanding in size! As the magic fades, the patient suddenly wakes up, yawning, and very muscular.

"Ugh... wow, you were right doc, I didn't feel a thing. Wait, you're not the doc, who are you? Why are you all looking at me? Did something go wro-SEVEN HELLS WHAT?! I though I'd have to my leg cut, and then this?! Did someone just switch bodies on me? Holy smokes, this-this is really something! Did you- wow, I don't know who you are or what you did, scales, but I wanna shake your hand right now."

"Good day, sirs. I am Rolf Towden, apprentice of High Wizard Nester Bartholomew."
"Ah, so you're Nester's apprentice! Your attire sure is misleading on the subject. We've made contact with Nester's assistance, shortly after the fiasco started. While he was a bit hesitant at first, after hearing that his student somehow got involved, he's agreed to help us on the "long-range". We've had a few of the cultist's magical stuff teleported over to him, to inspect in detail, as well as consulted him on a few matters of magical nature. I believe he's wishing to speak to you in person, as well. We've set up a scrying mirror over in one of the bathrooms."

"Sir Giles may have already told you about the "blood skeletons" he encountered and the large bone creature that came out of the catacombs."
"Yes, we've heard of that, too. Rather grisly details from miss Tiffany, and the blood took forever to clean off. Remind me how was it you dealt with that monstrosity, Sir Giles?"
"Punching."
"Uhm, right. Let's hope we won't have to resort to that anytime soon."

"Apparently, some kobolds were using the tunnels to try robbing coffins in the graveyard from below, and when they found Zilean's coffin, they undid the enchantments and opened it, allowing Zilean to escape."
The Mayor's face turns into a frown as soon as he hears mention of the kobolds, and he slams the table.
"THOSE CONNIVING LITTLE RAPSCALLIONS! Uhm, sorry about that outburst... but I think I know who these kobolds were. One of the "representatives" of a local kobold clan came to us some time ago, asking for a contract of permission to dig for ores underneath the city. We denied them, since it was far too dangerous for everyone involved, above and below ground. It looks like the kobolds not only ignored us, but stooped to robbing us as well! At least they got their just deserts, the little bastards. Uh, present company excluded, of course", he says, looking at Skitter.

"Unfortunately, we were only able to determine that Zilean was controlling the amulet from roughly the direction of where the first large-scale bomb exploded in the town, near the drinking contest, before the amulet tried to self-destruct."
The girl managed to lead us to where her captors had held her, a botanical garden in one of the town squares. We heard undead within and suspect that it may be one of the bases for the cultists.
Hmm... we suspected those spots might be buzzing with their activity, but we couldn't confirm it until now. We can't really afford to send much scouts, and the ones we did sent haven't reported much other than "undead all over". As for our military situation, well..."

The Mayor notions to Tyler, who begins to speak:
"Our garrison can't really do much about the botanical garden right now - that place is a literal jungle, and we're spread too thin trying to secure sections of the city, saving whoever can be saved, making a safe link between here and the temple, and defending this spot. We'd need to pretty much surround it first before we can hope to get anything out of it, or at least make the streets safe from undead and lunatics, and even then, it would be a fight ill-suited for an army, on account of the terrain."

"The bomb site fares similar, only we don't have ANY reports of whats going on there - everyone we've sent has yet to return. The information you provided thus far will certainly be helpful - sounds like something is going on there, and it's probably rotten."

"The biggest attacks so far were the bombs that already exploded, or were prevented, in other words, the stuff you described, an event of a more personal nature - the cultists tried to crash mine and my lovely wife's anniversary party. Was a right stroke of luck we got out of that unscathed and unexploded, I tell you!"

"As for Zilean himself, he hasn't really "shown" himself, or shown any "real" activity. The cultists in the streets appear to be more attempting to raise a panic, and some extra undead forces for themselves, than acting out an organized attack effort... At least, for now. We'll keep what you've said in mind - should prevent any more sneak attacks, though I doubt it will last, once they figure out we're on to them."

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Zarhon wrote:The Mayor notions to Tyler, who begins to speak:
"Our garrison can't really do much about the botanical garden right now - that place is a literal jungle, and we're spread too thin trying to secure sections of the city, saving whoever can be saved, making a safe link between here and the temple, and defending this spot. We'd need to pretty much surround it first before we can hope to get anything out of it, or at least make the streets safe from undead and lunatics, and even then, it would be a fight ill-suited for an army, on account of the terrain."

"The bomb site fares similar, only we don't have ANY reports of whats going on there - everyone we've sent has yet to return. The information you provided thus far will certainly be helpful - sounds like something is going on there, and it's probably rotten."
Rolf nodded. "I understand. A frontal assault on the botanical garden wouldn't be productive, given that forces are stretched thin and the unfavorable terrain. Part of me wonders if perhaps a small team could be sent in and at least try freeing the other children in there. But you've probably got a better idea of how we could be of service at this time, so I'll trust your judgement. As for the bomb site, I'm pretty sure that WILL require most of the forces in order to deal with it properly. Given the zombie gas's effect on large amounts of dead material, and signs pointing toward it being Zilean's headquarters, we may have secure the rest of the city before tackling that area."
"The biggest attacks so far were the bombs that already exploded, or were prevented, in other words, the stuff you described, an event of a more personal nature - the cultists tried to crash mine and my lovely wife's anniversary party. Was a right stroke of luck we got out of that unscathed and unexploded, I tell you!"

"As for Zilean himself, he hasn't really "shown" himself, or shown any "real" activity. The cultists in the streets appear to be more attempting to raise a panic, and some extra undead forces for themselves, than acting out an organized attack effort... At least, for now. We'll keep what you've said in mind - should prevent any more sneak attacks, though I doubt it will last, once they figure out we're on to them."
"Well, it's good to know that 2/3rds of Zilean's initial strike have fallen flat. Still, given the complexity of these zombie bombs and the number of cultists he has, he's probably been planning this for a while, so he might have some more tricks up his sleeve. Still, you can be assured that our little group is here to help." He then glanced over at Skitter. "...and possibly be compensated once this is all over."

"Now, if you could have someone escort me to the scrying mirror, I'd appreciate the chance to speak with Master Nester. Oh, which reminds me...have any of you managed to get a hold of the Magic Academy? I'm fairly certain that there are several students who would enjoy the prospect actually being able to blast something."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Zarhon wrote:
[color=Chocolate]"The biggest attacks so far were the bombs that already exploded, or were prevented, in other words, the stuff you described, an event of a more personal nature - the cultists tried to crash mine and my lovely wife's anniversary party. Was a right stroke of luck we got out of that unscathed and unexploded, I tell you!"

Well that's totally not sketch or anything. Mayor's involved, calling it now.

"No, we decided we prefer dealing with the results. I've killed a bunch of bad guys, though. And saved two dwarves. And went running amok through some more tunnels. I've almost been killed a few times, I'm losing grip on reality and have completely lost sight of why I'm even doing this in the first place. You know usual stuff."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Perception to see if the mayor is telling the truth: 11 + 15 = 26
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 am

Zarhon wrote:"Ugh... wow, you were right doc, I didn't feel a thing. Wait, you're not the doc, who are you? Why are you all looking at me? Did something go wro-SEVEN HELLS WHAT?! I though I'd have to my leg cut, and then this?! Did someone just switch bodies on me? Holy smokes, this-this is really something! Did you- wow, I don't know who you are or what you did, scales, but I wanna shake your hand right now."

Zthulan himself looks rather surprised of the outcome. He casts his glance towards Koras in confusion, only to receive a shrug in return. He offers the hand to the soldier so that his hand may be shook, "I am happy to be of assistance. Now use what the spirits granted you to protect this city and those who need it." Nodding in thanks towards Jeraylia Zthulan makes his way to heal the others.

Well that was unexpected, I was thinking it would just heal everyone in the room. But this works too, heh.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Skitter doesn't sense any dishonesty in the Mayor's words.

"Now, if you could have someone escort me to the scrying mirror, I'd appreciate the chance to speak with Master Nester. Oh, which reminds me...have any of you managed to get a hold of the Magic Academy?"
"Not directly, I'm afraid. We've barely managed to make contact with Nester himself, and our only way of contacting the academy for now is by using Nester as a proxy, of sorts. You'll have to ask him on the details. Here, let the Captain lead the way."

Tyler leads Rolf to a bathroom, containing the usual plumbing installments, as well as a rather large, full-body mirror, mounted on one of the walls. On the sides of it, a pair of crystals appear to have been linked to it in an improvised fashion, powering it with magic.

A mansion maid is here, and appears to be tapping on the mirror, causing rippling waves on it. Simultaneously, a blurred, barely recognizable humanoid figure is within the image of the mirror, and appears to be speaking and tapping on his "end" of the mirror as well, but with no sounds emanating from it. "Ah, hello there sirs! Can I have a little help here? Something went on the fritz with the mirror, and I can't for the love of me figure out what, or why."

The formerly wounded soldier laughs. "Hah! And here I thought I'd get a least a day off for sick leave. Can't argue with doc's orders, I guess! Name's Johnny, by the way!", he says, as he vigorously shakes Zthulan's hand.

Zthulan, roll endurance.

Rolf, roll arcana or perception.

Speaking of the Magic Academy, is it safe to assume that it would be somewhere outside/isolated of the city (much like Nester's tower), on account of its "volatile" nature and students?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm

Zarhon wrote: Tyler leads Rolf to a bathroom, containing the usual plumbing installments, as well as a rather large, full-body mirror, mounted on one of the walls. On the sides of it, a pair of crystals appear to have been linked to it in an improvised fashion, powering it with magic.

A mansion maid is here, and appears to be tapping on the mirror, causing rippling waves on it. Simultaneously, a blurred, barely recognizable humanoid figure is within the image of the mirror, and appears to be speaking and tapping on his "end" of the mirror as well, but with no sounds emanating from it. "Ah, hello there sirs! Can I have a little help here? Something went on the fritz with the mirror, and I can't for the love of me figure out what, or why."

"Hmm. Let's see what I can figure out on this end." Rolf looked over the mirror and crystals and tried to figure out what was causing the problems with the scrying mirror.

Arcana...16(1d20) + 14 = 30

Speaking of the Magic Academy, is it safe to assume that it would be somewhere outside/isolated of the city (much like Nester's tower), on account of its "volatile" nature and students?

That's probably a safe assumption. In my mind, the higher the level of magical education, the further out the institution is from the center of the city (Magic Elementary near the center, Magic High School is near the city walls, and Magic Academy is a quarter-mile outside city limits). There are most likely wards designed to keep the random fireball from flying out of school grounds (although it doesn't stop real estate being REAL cheap next to the schools), but due to the advanced nature of the work done at the Academy, everyone feels a bit safer with it some distance away from the city.

This is also Nester's claim as to why he has his tower outside of the city as well, but Rolf thinks it's mainly so that less people will bother him.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 pm

"Hey, hey," Jeraylia intoned, pushing the soldier back down after he energetically shook the dragonbord's hands. "There's a reason ya got the day off. Healing exacts a toll from the body, and magical curatives are no exception. Get some rest, kid. Though I hope we can resolve this matter soon, it may be that you will be needed out there again tomorrow."
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next