Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

False Gods - Trial Run

+10
ThereIsNo4thWall
LoganAura
ValorlordV5
Pingcode
conantheghost
Drago765
Dusk Raven
Ramsus
tygerburningbright
AlicornPriest
14 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

False Gods - Trial Run - Page 2 Empty Re: False Gods - Trial Run

Post  AlicornPriest Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 am

ValorlordV5 wrote:I'm really interested in this, but if I join I might need help keeping up. I'm completely new to Pony Tales and amateur at regular D&D, so I'll be a little slow. I really want to join up though, so if you don't mind a noob then hit me up!
Don't worry. It's been a while for me, and it's also my first time GM'ing. We'll be figuring this out together. Smile
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 am

Spotlight & Zero are finished.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Drago765 Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:11 am

Pingcode wrote:Flight Leader Hazydaze

Erm... I kind of already got Kindness, so I don't really think we need another one.
Drago765
Drago765
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  conantheghost Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:19 am

Drago765 wrote:
Pingcode wrote:Flight Leader Hazydaze

Erm... I kind of already got Kindness, so I don't really think we need another one.

Those are just flavors. It doesn't really matter if two ponies have Kindness, as long as it's effective per build.
conantheghost
conantheghost
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:21 am

It is generally nice to have variety if possible. With the Elements this is generally pretty easy as there's six and your game isn't going to go well if you have more players than that.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:28 am

I actually think there should be 2 kindnesses. Being able to make 2 targets per day non-hostile would benefit us greatly.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 am

I rolled a d6 and got a 5 the dice said sharing kindness False Gods - Trial Run - Page 2 JF23uZt

Honestly I don't give a toss, I use them as facets to add to a character. Though really by large they don't matter and in a game with a green DM, less powerful characters are generally preferable.

That said, I highly recommend just making whatever character you like - my first advice to all new players when I'm DMing is 'If you want to be Gandalf, just be Gandalf.' Or Aragorn (read: Any ranger). Or Frodo. Don't let me stop you, now's the time to try and picture who exactly your character is and tailoring their build to that.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  conantheghost Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:37 am

Variety is nice, but sometimes you just wanna go with a concept, or the power works too well with your build.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bsbqhxX_uQUzjn8jHs6Ur0fNZ0y2ea5qzOvVq4k9zWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Gettin ready to smash some bugs
conantheghost
conantheghost
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:17 am

Everyone doing whatever they feel like with no regard to what the end result of the party looks like really isn't a good gaming philosophy. It's not fun if everyone is good at all the same things and the group is suffering from a lack of something. (Like a healer for an example that's relevant to this group.) In the end RPGs are a team experience. Not a collection of single person experiences that happen to be occurring in the same place at the same time.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  conantheghost Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 am

You're right... A Geth, a Minotaur, a Cossac, a Drama Queen and a pyro-happy Soldier.

GM, can you please give us more info on the setting so we can all fit into it without going all over the place? A little party planning never hurt anybody...
conantheghost
conantheghost
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 am

I actually just meant as things regard to stats/utilities/combat. But, more setting info would be appreciated.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 am

Meh, a good character can retool into three or four roles with ease. Good personality and good image makes a character easy to translate.

A unified party build is less critical here because we're not exactly doing the World's Largest Dungeon - any flaws we can just compensate for and gradually retool to cover them.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ValorlordV5 Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 pm

I have a character I was going to make, an Earth pony with an unconditional hate for non-ponies. Is it cool if I use that? I didn't figure there would be a problem, but I just wanted to make sure.
ValorlordV5
ValorlordV5
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Drago765 Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 pm

ValorlordV5 wrote:I have a character I was going to make, an Earth pony with an unconditional hate for non-ponies. Is it cool if I use that? I didn't figure there would be a problem, but I just wanted to make sure.

Well... I'm kind of a Minotaur so... possibly.
Drago765
Drago765
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  ValorlordV5 Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Drago765 wrote:

Well... I'm kind of a Minotaur so... possibly.
Personally, I think that'll make it even more fun!
ValorlordV5
ValorlordV5
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:33 pm

How strong of a hate do you mean? Obviously it'd have to at least be at a level where the party can function together. (Wow, this game is quite possibly gonna explode hilariously with characters hating each other IC and Players hating each other OOC.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:34 pm

conantheghost wrote:You're right... A Geth, a Minotaur, a Cossac, a Drama Queen and a pyro-happy Soldier.

GM, can you please give us more info on the setting so we can all fit into it without going all over the place? A little party planning never hurt anybody...

You're right. This kind of... exploded while I was asleep/otherwise not watching it. I probably need to make some decisions, and soon. I need the rest of the week for planning, but hopefully, I can get this started then.
What do I want for party balance? ...The setting itself is directly after season 3, but otherwise, I'm willing to accept the unusual characters. I don't necessarily feel the need to kick out non-ponies, so

ValorlordV5 wrote:I have a character I was going to make, an Earth pony with an unconditional hate for non-ponies.

probably won't work. Unless you're willing to quietly seethe in the background, but I'd rather you didn't. Neutral As to Elements, I think people are right in that having a wide range is better than having six Loyalties or six Laughters or whatever. But I think that's for you guys to decide. I'm not giving you guys the Elements of Harmony, so I don't think not having all six will be an issue. Razz

Were there other significant issues? I don't want to give too much of the plot away, since that's gonna be the whole point, but... I could tell you how the game's gonna start. All of you will be together, and then an earthquake will hit. Earthquakes don't usually hit Ponyville, so you'll have to find out what the source of it was. That research will expand out into the rest of the country, and you'll come up with more and more of the supernatural. And that'll lead to... well, let's not give too much away.
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Ramsus wrote:Players hating each other OOC.)

I don't hate anyone who's playing. *Shrug* I barely hate anyone unless they're really freaking evil and worth hate.

And a party of Fire-forged alliances would be really fun Very Happy I know Moonlit would probs be a bit of a two-faced pony, and show her true colors to the party as the time goes on as she learns to trust them and the true magic of friendship! Cue friendship report, letter to Celestia, end credits.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ValorlordV5 Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

I'll just go ahead and get rid of that racist part. Probably shouldn't have expected that to work anyways. I think that what I've got now will work well. I'll throw up a think when my sheet is done.
ValorlordV5
ValorlordV5
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

False Gods - Trial Run - Page 2 Empty *A newbie scuttles into the field*

Post  ThereIsNo4thWall Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi! I'd like to join this if it's still accepting people but if not that's fine too and maybe a best friend of mine would like to join but he isn't online right now and he'll probably take a few days to get his character ready so I dunno if there's space for him or if there's even time for him to join before stuff starts going down and more awesome people flood this thing with their awesome characters... I've been lurking here since yesterday just reading characters and posts and working on my character (I discovered this site like, two days ago I think?) so yeah I'm kind of AS NEWB AS NEWB CAN GET but IF I can join and totally give this a shot I'd very much like to do so!

Either way, here's my character I finished making just a few seconds ago...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19RfhrR3guvaLUR5u1HiZn9FQTYVaCvhYS97vBfl-FuE/edit?usp=sharing

Now I'm gunna scuttle away and resume lurking mode until addressed directly. *scuttles away*
ThereIsNo4thWall
ThereIsNo4thWall
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Draconic%20Quill

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:23 pm

ThereIsNo4thWall wrote:Hi! I'd like to join this if it's still accepting people but if not that's fine too and maybe a best friend of mine would like to join but he isn't online right now and he'll probably take a few days to get his character ready so I dunno if there's space for him or if there's even time for him to join before stuff starts going down and more awesome people flood this thing with their awesome characters... I've been lurking here since yesterday just reading characters and posts and working on my character (I discovered this site like, two days ago I think?) so yeah I'm kind of AS NEWB AS NEWB CAN GET but IF I can join and totally give this a shot I'd very much like to do so!

Either way, here's my character I finished making just a few seconds ago...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19RfhrR3guvaLUR5u1HiZn9FQTYVaCvhYS97vBfl-FuE/edit?usp=sharing

Now I'm gunna scuttle away and resume lurking mode until addressed directly. *scuttles away*
This evening, I'll put everybody's characters up on the first page. I'll try to pick from people who came earlier first, but that doesn't mean you're out of the running. I haven't even tallied up how many players I actually have! tongue
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Drago765 Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

AlicornPriest wrote:
Were there other significant issues? I don't want to give too much of the plot away, since that's gonna be the whole point, but... I could tell you how the game's gonna start. All of you will be together, and then an earthquake will hit. Earthquakes don't usually hit Ponyville, so you'll have to find out what the source of it was. That research will expand out into the rest of the country, and you'll come up with more and more of the supernatural. And that'll lead to... well, let's not give too much away.

...Is this going to be a lovecraftian sort of game? Because that seems to be what you're pointing at, and that's awesome.
Drago765
Drago765
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Ponyville post S3, huh? Can work with that. Hazydaze would share common ground with both Dizzy (Military mares) and Theseus (Trainers). And I have yet to well and truly hate anyone on these forums. Hell, very few people I hate in real life, either - hate's a big old energy sink and it's not worth it without good cause.

Though if I may suggest, we might have enough interest here to go Selective Entry rather than FCFS. Your call, but I find it good practice because competitive application helps with writing good characters and making it FCFS discourages people who don't immediately claim a seat. (From experience, FCFS will probably mean neither 4thwall nor their friend will make a character, because you've already said you'll favour early interest first and seats 7 and 8 are unlikely to be chosen.)

False Gods - Trial Run - Page 2 K9kQvKb
Flight Leader Hazydaze
Sheet Theme Music
Hazydaze is Ponyville's resident flight instructor, having arrived a few years ago looking to start anew and renting a room from the local pharmacist - an old friend of hers with an even thicker accent. The everpresent subject of curiosity from the townsfolk for her old scar and thick accent, she has nevertheless managed to put together a modest business coaching young pegasi for their first steps into the sky. Today her life finds her out and about teaching and cleaning up after crashes, and in the evenings swapping war stories with the old guards in the corners.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Drago765 Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Right, I've made up Theseus's story, personality, and appearance.
Drago765
Drago765
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Pingcode wrote:
Though if I may suggest, we might have enough interest here to go Selective Entry rather than FCFS. Your call, but I find it good practice because competitive application helps with writing good characters and making it FCFS discourages people who don't immediately claim a seat. (From experience, FCFS will probably mean neither 4thwall nor their friend will make a character, because you've already said you'll favour early interest first and seats 7 and 8 are unlikely to be chosen.)
I have no idea what that means. Yes, I will choose characters/players that I want, not just everybody who wants to. However, between two equal choices, I'll favor the ones that came earlier. That just seems more fair to me.
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum