Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's Missing?: Destiny version

+6
Philadelphus
Hayatecooper
Ramsus
Zarhon
sunbeam
ZamuelNow
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's Missing?: Destiny version Empty What's Missing?: Destiny version

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Similar to other versions of this topic, figuring what all you can't make in the system. For this one, it might be best to look at individual characters who theoretically don't have a matching Destiny.

Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie are covered. Technically, Twilight has multiple options.
The healing aspect of Fluttershy is covered but the pet owner portion is not. There's a possibility it may be in the works due to the recent addition of the Companion utilities but for the moment one isn't available.
While a reflavored Rockstar might work for the popular/socialite aspect of Rarity, there's the lack of an option for business owners.
Rainbow Dash is in an interesting position where she's either fine (the newly discussed Destiny or reflavored Rockstar) or she's still in need considering her weather control and status as an athlete.
Similar to Dash, Applejack is in an either/or situation where she'll be fine with the upcoming Destiny or she's still in need of one as a farmer.
While it may be more plot buffs than numerical superiority, some sort of princess/royalty/monarch option should be available.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

What's Missing?: Destiny version Empty Re: What's Missing?: Destiny version

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 pm

While not necessarily a farmer, I'd like to point out the awesomeness that is Zarhon's "Nature's Avatar" Destiny, which fills in the nature angle:

Nature's Avatar:

I don't have anything premade that I know of for a Business owner destiny, but I'd like to point out that most cutthroat business policies can be synonymous with the mob, so we could build a mobster destiny straight from The Godfather and keep in mind that we want it to apply to normal businesspeople, too.

On the subject of weather control destiny, I don't think anybody is actually fascinated by Weathercrafting enough to take a whole destiny about it. A better choice might be to create an "atmospheric avatar" destiny or a "Lord of the Tides" destiny that gives control over celestial forces, and half the destiny is Weathercrafting and the side talents like thundercrash, while half the destiny is things like lightningborn/thunderborn, metalcraft, and perhaps eventually an intimidation bonus activated by summoning suitably dangerous weather.

Ideas for a companion based destiny, in no particular order:
-grant your companion any two utility talents.
-Obvious route: more racial points.
-Grant your companion a magic point.
-Give it player level stats (7, 7, 7, 7)
-Grant your companion stronger assist bonuses.
I'm having trouble coming up with anything that a player wouldn't prefer to just have themselves. Basically everything I've suggested, except perhaps player-level stats, is something that another destiny would just give to the player themselves.
Any ideas on how to grant the companion unique bonuses?
EDIT: one or two suggestions popped into my head.
-You have access to the companion's racial features.
-The companion chooses one utility talent it may use. While the companion is touching you, you gain the benefits of the talent as well (this includes an extra X/day clip of uses, if applicable. So if your companion uses light trap, it could grab you, and then you could use light trap once as well).
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:46 pm

I think I could make a destiny that captures the original intention of the Explorer destiny - namely, being a Indiana Jones style adventurer.

Of the suggested destinies, there's also the "Airship Captain", "Corruptor", "Ninja" and "Shadow Master" destinies but I can't find them at the moment.

As far as the current destinies go, I think the "Vile Villain" destiny and the "Planeshaper" destinies need a bit of work.

Vile Villain's minion is kinda iffy in its minion choice (namely, the redshirt one seems far too superior to the more-trouble-than-worth clumsy one) and a minor benefit at best compared to other destinies (or even to the companion utility), the lvl4 is similarly quite situational, and the lvl10 seems really hard to actually implement the "dungeon" in question. And the weirdest part of the bunch is that it doesn't even come with the "villainous laughter" utility! It's also bit oriented around social situations a large majority of the time.

Planeshaper destiny's lvl4 might is essentially "fabricate" with the addition of MP usage. There's not much clarification on how the two interact either. It's lvl 7, Planeswalk, is weird in that it allows you to only go to the realm once a day, which severely limits your own ability to shape it. It's also subject to "campaign time" - the slower time passes in-game, the less benefit you get from the destiny. It's also the ONLY way to enter your plane, even at lvl10, and you can't do stuff in your plane when you're not in it. There should be some "at will entry" options available for the owner...
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Someone could also re-work my old Weather Weaver destiny.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Well... if your looking for Ninja
Ninja Destiny:

have someone testing this currently, he seems to be enjoying it.

What we really need is a Robot Destiny, so here's my suggestion for that. (Not that great... but maybe it can be a working point?)
Robot Destiny:
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:04 pm

I dunno about having an Arcana check bonus for people who most likely don't have good Arcana. (Or rather we can only assume they have Mechanics.)

Also, the level 10 feature is pretty useless for anyone with those racial traits already. So, we still need a destiny for robots.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Point, lvl 10 is sorta like the lvl 4 for Shape Shifter.
Hmm...
I'll give it some more thought.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:03 am

Here's my Indiana Jones concept!

Indie Adventure-seeker:

And for a bonus, have something CMC related!

Cutie Mark Crusader:

Last edited by Zarhon on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:12 am

Giving people automatic successes on future skill checks is pretty much always going to lead to really stupid broken applications.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:22 am

ZamuelNow wrote:While a reflavored Rockstar might work for the popular/socialite aspect of Rarity, there's the lack of an option for business owners.
Similar to Dash, Applejack is in an either/or situation where she'll be fine with the upcoming Destiny or she's still in need of one as a farmer.

You know, if you write it generically enough, you could create a "business owner" destiny that could fit both with a little reflavoring. They both are basically business owners, just in different fields (pun not intended, but funny now that I see it). Though the problem is that there's not much call for a business owner's destiny, because there's no official non-combat use for money in this system (which would probably be the main reason you'd want to have a business, for the cash flow). Perhaps if there were non-combat equipment it could be spent on...
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:17 pm

The CMC destiny is perfect for a friend of mine with horrible luck on rolls. It rewards him for his inability to succeed! For him it's a no-lose scenario.
Whiteeyes
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Philadelphus wrote:
ZamuelNow wrote:While a reflavored Rockstar might work for the popular/socialite aspect of Rarity, there's the lack of an option for business owners.

You know, if you write it generically enough, you could create a "business owner" destiny that could fit both with a little reflavoring. They both are basically business owners, just in different fields (pun not intended, but funny now that I see it). Though the problem is that there's not much call for a business owner's destiny, because there's no official non-combat use for money in this system (which would probably be the main reason you'd want to have a business, for the cash flow). Perhaps if there were non-combat equipment it could be spent on...

Some actual non-combat items (and/or something to spend cash on) would be nice...
As a possible second for AJ, first thing I think of is something like a "Hard Worker" destiny. I'm thinking maybe a souped-up FK, an extra bonus to rolls if you have time to prepare, bonuses to fixing broken objects etc. Stuff that SEEMS boring at first glance, but has real practical benefits.
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Why are you guys talking about spending combat item "money" in non-combat? That "money" (and perhaps even the items) don't even exist IC. I don't see a problem with a Destiny that relates to IC money but, it certainly shouldn't interact with combat items in any way.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Some campaigns treat the gold from combat items as actual gold so the GM both has other stuff the players can buy and gives them extra gold for things done. I think an actual destiny should abstract the concept out, focusing on Sweet & Elite style story recognition and maybe things like acquired property.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:41 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:Some campaigns treat the gold from combat items as actual gold so the GM both has other stuff the players can buy and gives them extra gold for things done.
Well, some campaigns treat the gold wrong! :P
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:57 pm

lol Paper. It's fine that GMs do whatever they like for their games but, Destinies should be things that can work for any game (especially those run without any special home rules).
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:
ZamuelNow wrote:Some campaigns treat the gold from combat items as actual gold so the GM both has other stuff the players can buy and gives them extra gold for things done.
Well, some campaigns treat the gold wrong! Razz

I suppose my campaigns tend to number among those then. I treat the gold as actual gold too. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Ramsus wrote:Why are you guys talking about spending combat item "money" in non-combat? That "money" (and perhaps even the items) don't even exist IC. I don't see a problem with a Destiny that relates to IC money but, it certainly shouldn't interact with combat items in any way.
Well they shouldn't.
But it should still be possible for a character to acquire non-combat cash, and have something to spend it on.
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Money is a seriously sticky wicket - as flavor-wise it makes complete sense to spend it on both combat and nonbat things. It's currency after all. But if we encourage that, it breaks the separation between combat and nonbat.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 pm

It might not completely fit flavor-wise, but I find no problem in keeping the two completely separate.
Combat money is just "level-appropriate points to spend on combat items"
The other is "assorted metallic objects in my inventory. Give them to merchants, they give you useful stuff"
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Indeed. However, I find that players tend to like getting a bunch of treasure in a dragon's hoard and then buying a cool sword.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 am

Ok teleportation destiny? Here's my idea. Note the lack of flavor. Because that's not my forte with these things.

Traveler:
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:37 pm

The level 4 of it seems a bit bland (nothing new/unique). Beacon seems rather non-useful and makes some of the "tracking" utilities redundant. Both Noclip and the lvl7 teleport upgrade are wholly overpowered for lvl7 destiny features, those fit more to be lvl10. And as far as the long-range teleportation additions go, they are made defunct by the fact that you have to actually see your destination to teleport (thattaway doesn't count as seeing your destination). It's also not clear whether the preparation time from long-range ports is you standing in place, getting ready to teleport, or constantly teleporting until you reach the target (since one or either of those could be "interrupted"). And it kind of doesn't make sense that it takes time, if you can insta-teleport at lvl7 (bringing the question of whether its faster to wait out the preparation time, or to just teleport forwards short distances instantly until you reach the target).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:40 pm

I disagree with a couple things. The Level 4, while somewhat forcing you to take Phase Step for it to be the most useful, definitely isn't bland compared to other Level 4 Destinies. Many Level 4 Destinies just give two utility talents, especially if the destiny is stronger at the later levels. Level 7 Teleportation is fine, although perhaps make the preparation time 6 seconds instead of instantaneous. Noclip is indeed very strong for a Level 7 though, I agree there. I like the idea, but it forces the GM to use magical barricades a lot in order to prevent you from simply going everywhere everyday (same with teleport, but at least with that you have to see where you are going), otherwise the player can just ignore every trap and every encounter. Under the upcoming system, Level 7s are worth three utility talents, so taking the instant-prep time and infinite uses of teleport as two talents, Noclip could do with some tuning. Meanwhile, while I'm not a fan of Thattaway in general, but I do like Beacon, especially the fact you keep knowledge of where the thing you are looking for is, that's nice. I think your main problem with the Level 10 Zarhon is that it seems to clash with Regular Teleportation. I think it would be more clear if the additional teleport stuff was written as a separate utility talent, so it is clear that it doesn't share the same rules as the normal one, such as the varying prep time and not requiring to see the target location for the longer distance teleport. It might need a buff of some sort in order not to have to complete with the Regular Teleport, perhaps allowing you to take your allies with you at the same time? It helps with the destiny possibly causing the party to be constantly split...

I'm confident that maybe after a few tune-ups and added flavour this destiny will be just as good as all the official ones...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:06 pm

I figured the constant teleporting wouldn't be an issue as if you can do it 5/day you really could already do it any time you needed to, this would just allow you to get more creative with it and use it as your standard mode of movement (if you like). As for always on Phase Step, sorta the same thing but also, by level 7 your GM probably already has to put anything they don't want you to get in easily behind magic barriers and such. A simple locked door or wall is not going to stop the mechanics expert (who can by that point pick any lock and can fabricate walls away) or Magecraft user anyway.

Paper Shadow makes a good point about making the last ability a party teleport as otherwise you are just splitting the party and that's pointless.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next