Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

+2
A1C Bronymous
Ramsus
6 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4) - Page 33 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

Post  Zarhon Sat May 03, 2014 8:33 am

The 'caravan' appears to have been deconstructed over the past few hours by those within the temple, with some of the supplies having been claimed by the refugees and clergy in need, and its wood placed into a barricade. The single ox has similarly been harnessed to what looks like a medical wagon, with a hammock-like stretcher in its back.

"Skitter is where I last saw him, presumably, which should be on a rooftop near ze camp. I could go and wake or fetch him as you travel along to your residence, unless you want my presence zere wiz you, for janitorial emergencies."
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat May 03, 2014 4:10 pm

"Alright, you can keep them if you really want. So long as thou promises to love them, and feed them, and take them for walks, and make surest they do not piddle on the carpet. Still, it might be a bit tough sneaking them back into the garrison."

I wasn't against keeping them. Just, Jeraylia doesn't want to have her very own to own. Cramps her style. Can Zefy move stealthily? Like turn into a light breeze? Otherwise, she might give up Skitter's location as he attempts to move all stealth like.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat May 03, 2014 8:17 pm

Zthulan notices some of the missing supplies and does an inventory, specifically if the accursed crystal is still in their possession. "I'm sure we could keep them within the walled off barricade." Unable to find the devious device, he begins to worry. "I must be going blind. The crystal that we found is still here... Right?"

Perception: 2 + 10

Probably under some pieces of cloth or something.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat May 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Zarhon wrote:"Skitter is where I last saw him, presumably, which should be on a rooftop near ze camp. I could go and wake or fetch him as you travel along to your residence, unless you want my presence zere wiz you, for janitorial emergencies."

"If you could go wake him up and tell him that we're headed back that would be great." Rolf paused. "And Zephryina, I just want you to know that even though your..."janitorial expertise" or your strength hasn't gotten as much direct use, I do greatly appreciate all that you've done for us so far."

Zarhon wrote:The 'caravan' appears to have been deconstructed over the past few hours by those within the temple, with some of the supplies having been claimed by the refugees and clergy in need, and its wood placed into a barricade. The single ox has similarly been harnessed to what looks like a medical wagon, with a hammock-like stretcher in its back.

"Hmm...actually, if we can get one of the paladins and priests to drive the wagon for us, we can use it to get the supplies back to the base, and then they can keep the ox to pick up any more refugees they find." Seeing Zthulan's searching,  Rolf decided to join him to see what was still available. "Horizon, if you want to bring the alchemy equipment back with us, I suggest you start packing it up."

Rolling Perception...19 (1d20) + 7 + 3 (Sharp Eyes) = 29
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun May 04, 2014 1:56 am

"I've gotten all I can out of that. My set will suffice, I just need ingredients. And for the record, I don't really care what we do with the ox."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun May 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Looking for the stone, Rolf easily finds it - it seems a few paladins and priests unboxed and set it upright within the temple walls, either out of curiosity or precaution, and are currently arguing what to do with it and what it does.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sun May 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Zthulan pinches a claw to his snout.  "I told them not to open that crate, and what do they do?  They opened it...  I feel like warning them what the crystal did is all we're required to do.  I say let them have it, risks and all."  Grumbling, he heads over to the group of priests and paladins.

"Okay, so you opened the box.  Understandable that you decided not to trust my warning about the crate.  Our group is new and our authority is probably nonexisten, you have the lives of the refugees at risk for whatever we bring in, and the unexpected exorcism probably didn't put us well in your book..  However, I believe telling you what we know about that thing is the least we can do."  Snorting smoke in annoyance Zthulan continues.

"Crystals like these were found in Zilean's encampment, they were impaled into "volunteers" and placed in a tent.  We don't know what the crystals do, but what we do know that it uses the life force of the victims to power it's purpose.  One of our members raided a caravan and one of these crystals was found.  Thanks for trusting the capabilities of one of the few teams that trying to get ride of Zilean." Finishing his outburst, Zthulan turns to head back to the others nearby.

"Sorry about that... I just needed to get that off my chest. Feel free to try and reason with them if you like."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun May 04, 2014 10:31 pm

"Eh, they'll figure it out when it kills one of them. I say we get going." Horizon heads to the exit, intent on walking back to base.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sun May 04, 2014 10:57 pm

"A courageous outburst, Zthulan, fueled by righteous anger. You were only worried about their safety. Such ire is well grounded. But now that they have opened the box, I think it might be prudent to find out what they know."
Jeraylia takes up the opening Zthulan left among the holy men.
"Forgive my dragonborn friend his displeasure, however, it was reasonable considering the circumstances," Jeraylia says respectfully, but firmly. "While we do not know much about the particulars of this compound, we have seen first hand the evil of Zilean. And if he is using it, then we are right to instruct caution."
She eyed each of them in turn.
"Since you have been arguing over the item, I am persuaded to believe that you may know something of its properties? Such information would most likely be vital in our aid to the city, and its inhabitants."

Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sun May 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Rolf approached the group. "To better clarify my friend's explanation, the Xilstone, as it is called, is designed to transfer magical energy from living beings to other applications. The process can be voluntary, with magic users sending energy into it until they get tired, but as Zthulan mentioned, the process can also be involuntary, draining a person's body until they become a desiccated husk. I don't know if it is expressly a form of necromancy, however."

"I suspect that their use at the camp was to power the forcefield spell shielding Xykon's primary headquarters in the large tent, but I haven't confirmed that yet. Regardless, we don't know how to use the Xilstone, or if supplying it with energy would actually aid Zilean's efforts. Unless you have some degree of magical research here at the temple, we would humbly request that you help us deliver the stone and any spare supplies back near the mayor's office using that cart over there."

"Oh, and while I understand you wishing to use whatever resources you can, I strongly advise against fiddling with someone else's magical items unless you're fully willing to accept any and ALL potential consequences."
Rolf's expression turned grim. "Believe me, you're talking with someone who learned this the hard way."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 pm

The priests and paladins peevishly back off from the crystal. "Sorry, we just had to confirm what it actually was, and whether it was actually safe to leave lying around - if it was something like that automaton from the graveyard... But apparently that is not the case, as your testimonies indicate. We're certain that it is necromantic magic within it, and what you've described does fit its nature of potential effects, but we haven't inspected into it any further than that."

"As for carting it over to the Mayor's garrison... Are you sure that a good idea? For one, there are no wards there - well, not yet, anyway, so it would have no protection from any necromantic magic this Xilstone can or could do. Secondly, we'd be transferring what might be important cargo for Zilean's machinations, which may provoke efforts from our enemies to retrieve it. Thirdly, we indeed have a significant degree of knowledge on necromancy within this temple to study the stone, so it's not apparent to us how it would be of benefit bringing it over to the Mayor's garrison."

"And speaking of garrisons, this camp of Zilean's you have surveyed, it is unexpected news to us. What more can you tell us of it? When was it discovered? We have heard no news of it from the mayor's garrison, until now, from you."
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon May 05, 2014 7:03 pm

"Oh for fucks..." Horizon trudges back to the group, not quite ready to run off on his own again. "Look, its bad. You can either let us take it to where all the guards are, or try your hand at fighting off the undead army coming to take it back. Personally I'm fine with you keeping it, but you weren't exactly too inspiring against one single barely tangible demon. It WILL, without a doubt, suck the life out of anyone who gets close enough- saw that first hand. So you're basically inviting death and destruction on yourselves for as long as you keep it. Or you can pass it off to the interested parties at Town Hall, and let them deal with it."

Persuasion for Shut Up and Lets Go: 14+12+5 (FK Intimidate)= 31
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon May 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Zarhon wrote:"As for carting it over to the Mayor's garrison... Are you sure that a good idea? For one, there are no wards there - well, not yet, anyway, so it would have no protection from any necromantic magic this Xilstone can or could do. Secondly, we'd be transferring what might be important cargo for Zilean's machinations, which may provoke efforts from our enemies to retrieve it. Thirdly, we indeed have a significant degree of knowledge on necromancy within this temple to study the stone, so it's not apparent to us how it would be of benefit bringing it over to the Mayor's garrison."

"Oh, so you do have the means to study it? Well, my primary interest in getting it over to the Mayor's was because that seemed to be the best way to get it over to Nester Bartholomew, the wizard I'm apprenticed to. But if you could examine it and let us know later of your findings (how they can be magically located, or disabled remotely), that might be for the best."

Horizon wrote:"Look, its bad. You can either let us take it to where all the guards are, or try your hand at fighting off the undead army coming to take it back. Personally I'm fine with you keeping it, but you weren't exactly too inspiring against one single barely tangible demon. It WILL, without a doubt, suck the life out of anyone who gets close enough- saw that first hand. So you're basically inviting death and destruction on yourselves for as long as you keep it. Or you can pass it off to the interested parties at Town Hall, and let them deal with it."

"Actually...they're probably better guarded against the undead than the mayor's office at the moment. And if the Xilstone can't transfer energy due to the wards, and Zilean can't finagle with it remotely, then it might be safer here. (particularly if Zilean installed some stupid explosive failsafe like he tends to do). But since we CAN leave the stone here, we'll just be able to walk back without worrying about any additional baggage."

"And speaking of garrisons, this camp of Zilean's you have surveyed, it is unexpected news to us. What more can you tell us of it? When was it discovered? We have heard no news of it from the mayor's garrison, until now, from you."

"Wait, you've had NO updates from the Mayor's garrison this entire time? Hmm, perhaps Rabiah might be able to relay messages, since good communication will be integral to winning this. But at any rate, we have identified two main camps that the cultists have been using. One is inside the botanical gardens, which provides a good natural defense from any major action against it. We know that they've been enslaving children to work there, but the exact goings on are still unknown.

"The other camp, which we've been to, is set at about where the first major zombie bomb went off that started this whole affair. Apparently there was a circus or something near there, since there were several tents and some caged wild animals. The "big top" is where Zilean has spent a good deal of his time, which is guarded by a massive forcefield which I believe is powered by those Xilstones. All of the prisoners we know of have been freed, two of the Xilstones were destroyed, there's been massive property damage to the camp, and due to a combination of our efforts and Zilean's extremely low tolerance for failure, there are now far fewer cultists guarding it. Well, living ones at any rate."

"However...the primary threat of the camp remains. If you know a bit about necromancy, you might be able to shed some more light on it. I managed to sneak inside the big top to discover a gargantuan metal cube, with tube running into it. Zilean seemed to be mixing up some vile concoction that was transported into the cube. I managed to snag a bottle of the mixture...as well as a scrying mirror showing what was within."

"Jeraylia took a look in the mirror, and she said she saw " a gigantic, vile, oozing monstrosity, formed from the corpses of uncountable numbers," including devas like herself. I have the mirror still with me, but be warned: vomiting is a common reaction, and the sight may very well leave you haunted."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon May 05, 2014 11:31 pm

"What? Hey that sounds neat, let me see it."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue May 06, 2014 7:08 pm

"You ask us to let others come to harm for petty reasons? We pledged an oath to keep others from harm, and we can and will stake our safety if it means preventing others from suffering such and falling victim for it.", one of the paladins brashly explains to Horizon.

A priest pipes up as he hears Rolf mention of Rolf's teacher: "You speak of Nester Bartholomew, the archmage? You are his apprentice? Figures, I suppose. Yes, his knowledge is indeed vast, and certainly wide, though unlikely as focused in the field of anti-necromancy, past or present, as is that of ours... But then again, this stone may not hold mere necromancy within... A combination of both ours and his insight would be ideal in analyzing with what this thing does, but that would require his presence here... We can examine the stone here, if you wish, but we will not stop you if you choose to transfer it to the archmage, if you feel it is up for the risk it might present."

The paladins all grow silent as they hear Rolf's report. "A grave threat indeed. Zilean's intolerance for failure is expectable, but his methods are... baffling. In the past, he was a brutally efficient warlord - a camp so easily crippled, and so situated, would be a error beyond him. His actions seem risky and unexplainable, though far more sinister and inhumane. The thing you describe within the cube is obviously a threat, but we know not to what degree or scale, as we have no knowledge of him and using concoctions in such a manner. How big was the cube, exactly? Show us the mirror, so we can see what monstrosity lies within. We've seen our fair share of hideous things. Miss Jeraylia's insight would also help."

The cube was about 40x40 feet.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue May 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Zarhon wrote:[color=black]"You ask us to let others come to harm for petty reasons? We pledged an oath to keep others from harm, and we can and will stake our safety if it means preventing others from suffering such and falling victim for it.", one of the paladins brashly explains to Horizon.

"Sorry, I just figured those would be good enough reasons for you. You have no problem holing up in here behind your precious wards while the rest of the city falls apart, and the people are converted to various degrees of dead. I thought your blatant cowardice would follow through into all your endeavors, but I guess if it means keeping a potential source of power, it makes sense for you to hold on to it."

I'd roll persuasion, but they already agreed so I'm not really after anything now, am I? I believe previously we only briefly touched on what Horizon thinks of Paladins. Time to explore.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed May 07, 2014 11:24 am

Zarhon wrote:A priest pipes up as he hears Rolf mention of Rolf's teacher: "You speak of Nester Bartholomew, the archmage? You are his apprentice? Figures, I suppose. Yes, his knowledge is indeed vast, and certainly wide, though unlikely as focused in the field of anti-necromancy, past or present, as is that of ours... But then again, this stone may not hold mere necromancy within... A combination of both ours and his insight would be ideal in analyzing with what this thing does, but that would require his presence here... We can examine the stone here, if you wish, but we will not stop you if you choose to transfer it to the archmage, if you feel it is up for the risk it might present."
"Actually, Nester isn't actually at the Mayor's, but still in his tower outside the city. They've been communicating through a scrying mirror set-up and have established a method for teleporting materials to him to study. If we had the materials, we could set up a direct line ourselves and have the best of both worlds...I don't suppose you have a mirror, some magic crystals, and some wire, would you?"
Zarhon wrote:The paladins all grow silent as they hear Rolf's report. "A grave threat indeed. Zilean's intolerance for failure is expectable, but his methods are... baffling. In the past, he was a brutally efficient warlord - a camp so easily crippled, and so situated, would be a error beyond him. His actions seem risky and unexplainable, though far more sinister and inhumane.
"I fully agree. He doesn't seem to be employing military strategy, or establishing anything resembling military discipline amongst his men. But his power with magic and concoctions is real enough, and he's got a sadistic streak a mile wide. Perhaps he found that his prior tactics didn't work, and is now focusing more on directly arcane solutions. Or perhaps being stuck in a coffin for a generation drove him a bit loopy. Who knows?"
Zarhon wrote:The thing you describe within the cube is obviously a threat, but we know not to what degree or scale, as we have no knowledge of him and using concoctions in such a manner. How big was the cube, exactly? Show us the mirror, so we can see what monstrosity lies within. We've seen our fair share of hideous things. Miss Jeraylia's insight would also help."
"The cube was massive, about 40 feet on each side. The metal was magically summoned, which means Zilean may be able to mold or banish it on his command. It had a magic barrier and seemed magically anchored in place. Also, through...other sources, whatever's inside may not be simply inert body parts but...something dying over and over?" Rolf handed the mirror to one of the paladins. "Jeraylia, any insight you would like to share?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 pm

Zarhon wrote:"Miss Jeraylia's insight would also help."

"Always happy to be of assistance, although I'd advise against all but the staunchest in examining the mirror."
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 pm

"Guys, let me see the mirror." Horizon whines.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 pm

"Not now, Horizon," Jeraylia titters, and smacks his hand gently as he reaches to take the mirror from the paladin. "Wait your turn. As for insights, it is a creature of a broken mind, but this does not mean it does not think. Many of those devolved in thought by pain or torment may seek nothing now but the suffering of others. Secondly, as Rolf has stated, its number includes some of the Deva. If I were to offer a thought to mirror that of the twisted Zilean, I might wonder whether these lives are being used to fuel the necromantic abomination. Although it disgusts me to admit it, fake or not, this Zilean's power must be great if he has managed to keep the souls of my brethren from leaving their current vessels."
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu May 08, 2014 2:41 am

One of the paladins, after having taken his helmet off and a bucket prepared 'in precaution', takes the mirror and looks into it. For a moment, he displays a look of confusion, or lack of understanding, but then it turns into one of obvious shock, followed makes a few guttural noises, his eyes fixated on whatever lies in the mirror.

You may all roll perception.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu May 08, 2014 3:10 am

Zthulan decides not to watch the upcoming scene, you see a man vomit due to necromantic monstrosities once, you've seen them all. "Despite the fact that Ox is perhaps not the best, I believe we should the fellow. He, or she, has survived much.

COVETING THY PARTY'S OX! 2 + 10 = 12...
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu May 08, 2014 3:10 am

Rolling Perception...4 (1d20) + 7 + 3 (Sharp Eyes) = 14 (w/ Magical Attunement if it applies).
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu May 08, 2014 3:11 am

"Oh come on, look at that idiot. Someone let me take a look at this." Horizon watches the paladin with interest, mentally counting down to when he might burst.

Perception: 12+10=22
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu May 08, 2014 3:46 am

Perception Check on Paladin:20 ( 11+9perception )
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next