Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Ideas- Seals, Walruses, Penguins

5 posters

Go down

Random Ideas- Seals, Walruses, Penguins Empty Random Ideas- Seals, Walruses, Penguins

Post  Cardbo Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Seal and Walrus society revolves around balance. It revolves around balance because of the Spire, a great shard of enchanted, impenetrable ice. Very little is known about the Spire, but that a colossal creature, colored black and white, is entrapped within. Two opinions, and two philosophies arose from this. The Seal Court, who believe the creature was entrapped for a reason, and should remain thus. And the Unseal Court, who believe the creature had done nothing to deserve this living death, and should be released. While neither Court would actually act on their belief, (too much fun arguing), it has the spread to all other aspect of seal and walrus life, and forms a helpful role in making decisions that apply to all. Whenever a law is being considered, or a court case must be decided, the two groups will come together, and one will take one side, and the other, the other. No matter the issue, even if one position clearly seems superior, and the other clearly inferior, the sides will battle it out verbaly, until a satisfying conclusion is reached. In such ways, it is hoped a wise decision might be reached.

EDIT:Now compatible with Genetic Engineering Expansion.

Seals
We’re Just Good At This Stuff (1) - Persuasion
Clever Tail (1)
One with the Waves (1)
Sharp Eyes (1)
Echolocation (2)

Walruses
We’re Just Good At This Stuff (1) - Arcane
One with the Waves (1)
Echolocation (2)
Naturally Skilled (2) - Either Strengthen Substance or Weaken Substance

Penguins think the Seals and Walruses are nuts. The Creature is obviously going to escape one day and kill us all. The Penguins are determined not to let that happen to them. Penguin society is very militarized, and penguin chicks are trained in military discipline from an early age.

Penguins
One with the Waves (1)
Sharp Eyes (1)
Graceful Form (2)
Heart of Courage (2)

Spoiler:

Last edited by Cardbo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Random Ideas- Seals, Walruses, Penguins Empty Re: Random Ideas- Seals, Walruses, Penguins

Post  SilentBelle Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 pm

Hah! Penguins! This is going to be full of awesome.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Random Ideas- Seals, Walruses, Penguins Empty Re: Random Ideas- Seals, Walruses, Penguins

Post  Masterweaver Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:57 pm

We already have enough furry confusion with the hooved races...
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 am

Moved to first post.

Last edited by Cardbo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:34 am

Moved to first post.

Last edited by Cardbo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Have some utility talents.

Discord's Advocate - Seal Only
Due to a seal's familiarity with seeing(and arguing) both sides of an issue, any time a seal with talent tries to persuade someone of something that is clearly against their best interests, they apply a +5 modifier to the roll.

EDIT:Slippery Body - Seal Only
Anytime you need to make a physical saving throw, you may roll twice and take the higher of the two rolls.

Two Tusked Adventure - Magic - Walrus only.
Due to having two tusks to channel magic through, they can, when using a Unicorn utility talent with a flat bonus, double that bonus by expending a magic point.

EDIT:Slippery Mind - Walrus only.
Anytime you need to make a mental saving throw, you may roll twice and take the higher of the two rolls.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Cardbo wrote:Have some utility talents.

Discord's Advocate - Seal Only
Due to a seal's familiarity with seeing(and arguing) both sides of an issue, any time a seal with talent tries to persuade someone of something that is clearly against their best interests, they apply a +5 modifier to the roll.

EDIT:Slippery Body - Seal Only
Anytime you need to make a physical saving throw, you may roll twice and take the higher of the two rolls.

Two Tusked Adventure - Magic - Walrus only.
Due to having two tusks to channel magic through, they can, when using a Unicorn utility talent with a flat bonus, double that bonus by expending a magic point.

EDIT:Slippery Mind - Walrus only.
Anytime you need to make a mental saving throw, you may roll twice and take the higher of the two rolls.

About saving throws... I'm pretty sure we only use those in combat. And utility talents should never influence the combat section of the game. I do like the Two Tusked Adventure talent idea. Unfortunately, there are no Unicorn talent that give flat bonuses. Perhaps the talent can be changed to:

Two Tusked Adventurer - Magic - Walrus only
Due to having two tusks to channel their magic, a walrus can, when using a Unicorn utility talent, spend a magic point to double one of the parameters of the ability. For example, if a Walrus were to have taken

Telepathy – At Will
You can communicate silently with other willing characters that you can either see or that you know very well within 1000 feet.

Once when using it, the Walrus could spend a magic point to communicate to those within 2000 feet.

(That's what I figured you were going for, correct me if I'm wrong. Also I was going to use ponykinesis, but with this current set up, they can't use it.)

So I'll add this:

Two Horned Finesse
The walrus gains the use of Ponykinesis
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 pm

SilentBelle wrote:
About saving throws... I'm pretty sure we only use those in combat. And utility talents should never influence the combat section of the game.

I was thinking of that, but what about environmental hazards when not in combat, like traps, or resisting the urges to kill everyone from the scary-looking idol you're carrying around in your saddlebags.

I do like the Two Tusked Adventure talent idea. Unfortunately, there are no Unicorn talent that give flat bonuses. Perhaps the talent can be changed to:

Two Tusked Adventurer - Magic - Walrus only
Due to having two tusks to channel their magic, a walrus can, when using a Unicorn utility talent, spend a magic point to double one of the parameters of the ability. For example, if a Walrus were to have taken

Telepathy – At Will
You can communicate silently with other willing characters that you can either see or that you know very well within 1000 feet.

Once when using it, the Walrus could spend a magic point to communicate to those within 2000 feet.

(That's what I figured you were going for, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's much better.

Also I was going to use ponykinesis, but with this current set up, they can't use it.)

So I'll add this:

Two Horned Finesse
The walrus gains the use of Ponykinesis

Yeah, while the walrus has access to unicorn-only talents, I didn't realize Ponykinesis was a racial ability. I like Two Horned Finesse, but should it be a Walrus racial ability, or just a Utility Talent Walruses have access to. I think the later, I don't want to copy Unicorns too much.

In the meanwhile, can anyone think of any Penguin Utility Talents? I'm hitting a mental block here.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Slippery Body - Seal Only
Anytime you need to make a Endurance roll, you may roll twice and take the higher of the two rolls.

Stubborn Mind - Walrus Only
Walruses stubborn. Any time a Walrus needs roll an opposed Persuasion check, they may roll twice and take the greater of the two results.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:01 am

Curse you "May The Best Pet Win"!

Which has a seal in it. Oh well, maybe he just couldn't speak the language.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 am

Penguin Utility:

Irritating Squawk -5/day
You let off a loud squawk, forcing all those within a 100-foot radius that can hear the noise to stop whatever they are doing in favor of covering their ears for one minutes.
The Warrior of Many Faces
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:39 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:Penguin Utility:

Irritating Squawk -5/day
You let off a loud squawk, forcing all those within a 100-foot radius that can hear the noise to stop whatever they are doing in favor of covering their ears for one minutes.

Hey nice. Wasn't sure if anyone else was interested in this.

How about.

Stubby Wings
Shortness and stubbyness of penguin wings aside, they still assist assist in Acrobatics checks, granting a +5 to ability checks.

Takes An Emperor To Hatch An Egg
Penguins are used to cold climates and gain a +5 to Endurance checks to ward of cold.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Updated Seals, Walruses and Penguins to the Genetic Engineering Traits.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I may be wrong but We're Just Good At This Stuff is just a third training not a training set on one skill.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down