Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Random Idea

3 posters

Go down

A Random Idea Empty A Random Idea

Post  Crystalite Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:30 am

So, this isn't a campaign, per se. Although it could result in one, or even several. I just wondered, if a player who is familiar with the system didn't know what kind of character they were playing, how long would it take them to figure out what the character could do?

Of course, setting up such a scenario has a variety of challenges. For one, I have to generate characters for it, and then justify said character not knowing their own capabilities - amnesia comes to mind, or perhaps small children? And there's a variety of ways to do that, I suppose.

I guess I'm wondering, how long would it take you? Would it be fun to try and do so? Are there recommendations on how to go about that? Or any other hurtles to overcome? Discuss!
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

A Random Idea Empty Re: A Random Idea

Post  AleneShazam Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:15 pm

So... what, the players don't have access to the character sheet? Or just get randomly handed one?

If the latter, it's basically playing a box adventure, isn't it? It probably would work, but if it's seasoned players they should get to grips with the out of combat quirks and combat build combos fairly quickly.

If the former, then there are complications galore. Like, how would the abilities be introduced at all? Does the GM have to engineer specific situations where the characters are forced to unlock the power within themselves or something, like out of an Anime?

It's an interesting idea, but it really does require an innovative GM and players who are heavy into RP rather than mechanics.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:29 pm

The players do not get to see their sheets.

A pony game would make this simpler, as some abilities could be implied - a Pegasus would, presumably, be able to fly after all. But yes, it would take a lot of innovation to make it work.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:27 pm

Tyger had a similar idea to this. Players would know nothing about their characters, and their characters knew nothing about themselves. But it is very difficult undertaking. Let me copy my words I said back then...

Paper Shadow wrote:Personally I've been thinking about Blank Diaries the most. It certainly the most fascinating of the bunch, and has the most potential, but it can really go astray easily. The players need to be on point. The DM needs to be on point. If a regular game is like a jam session, Blank Diaries would be like a free flow orchestra. And I can see it going in one of two directions narrative-wise; either the PCs are stuck in the cave and discovery themselves while escaping/surviving, or the PCs can leave the cave and find society, discovering themselves while trying to make sense of the weird world around them. So yeah, hardest to pull off, most amazing if pulled off well...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down