Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monsters by Weaver

5 posters

Go down

Monsters by Weaver Empty Monsters by Weaver

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 am

The Fae In General
Fae is, in essence, a lump-all term for creatures with a higher percentage of magic then flesh in their biology. Because of this, multiple Fae breeds can reproduce with each other, new fae can pop up at random, and old fae races may die out entirely within the course of the week. Even amongst fae, however, there are some distinctions:
Elves are sapient, Sprites are not.
Fairies are communal, Pixies are solitary.
This of course places the Parasprite as a fairy sprite.

Wisp
Wisps are a simple type of sprite, nonaggressive and essentially airborne jellyfish. The magic that makes up 97 percent of their body is also their only real defense, as it will instantly Charm any creature that touches it into following the wisp without any regard to their surroundings and potentially dangerous predators and pitfalls. Wisps feed on insects that fly into their skin and get trapped in digestive juices. Healthy wisps grow green, but starved or sick wisps are blue; purple wisps are in the middle of mating season, however, and are therefore harmless.

HP 1
Traits
--Harmless: The wisp takes low priority on any attack, including random attacks.
Combat abilities:
--[1]Charm: Immediate Interrupt. If an enemy attacks and makes physical contact, the attacker MUST make an instant d20+persuasion roll of DC 30, no friendship bonus allowed. Success allows the attack to go through normally. Failure results in the Domination of the attacker for the rest of combat and 3d10 hours after combat; the character is compelled to follow the wisp and must make a saving throw every hour after combat to avoid losing HP, but will not attack or resist any assaults. Using weapons nullifies this attack!
--[-1]Absorb: Immediate Interrupt. If an enemy attacks with magic, the attack is immediately nullified.

Troll
Trolls are elvish pixies, but the sheer variety that individuals have is based on them using their magic to improve their own body. Trolls never eat their prey in portions; they swallow them whole, so that they can feed off the creature's life force as well as their body. For this reason, only trolls past a certain age are dangerous to ponies; however, because trolls never stop growing, and are constantly magicking themselves to be stronger, they can remain dangerous for very long times if not dealt with quickly. Trolls with multiple heads are known as Ogres.

While trolls could in theory come in groups, they tend to be solitary enemies.

HP 20+1d20
Traits:
--Magical field: If a magical attack ever does more then the troll's total HP/2 rounded up damage, the troll is TURNED TO STONE and instantly defeated.
--Specialized Environment: Trolls with 30 or more basic HP select ONE environment; they gain a +2 starting PiPs in that environment.
--Ogre: If a troll's basic HP is 36 or higher, they have a second head and cannot be stunned.
Combat Abilities:
--[+4]Swallow whole: The troll can swallow any defeated enemy whose HP is less then their total.
--[-6]Regenerate: The troll regains 1d12 HP.
--[-2]POUND: The troll swings its fist, dealing 2d10 damage to the target and 1d10 damage to adjacent targets.
--[+2]Taunt: The target is subject to insults from the troll, becoming demoralized and Weakened (save ends).

---
Other Sapients

Drake
Drakes are ten-foot tall bipedal lizard folk, with a horn-like crest and a tribal society. Drakes, it should be noted, ARE NOT DRAGONS; their culture worships dragons, to be sure, and their religious tenants variously state that they are descended from/were the servants of/will become dragons, but they do not have any fire-breathing capability and never grow wings. Despite this, drakes are very dangerous; they have no qualms about hunting anything, sapient or not, although they will accept alternative offers of meat from their prey. Drakes also practice ritual cannibalism, eating the stomach of the deceased in order to ensure their fire continues. A drake's name is in fact a list of the lines they are descended from, and most drakes therefore refer to each other by their roles in casual conversation. There is no real distinction between male and female drakes for combat purposes.

Drakes can hunt either individually or in packs up to four.

I am aware there is already a Drake option in the Ponyhandler's Guide. This version of Drakes is based off the original gypsy myths.

HP 40
Traits:
--Caught the scent: For every enemy and ally bloodied or suffering ongoing damage, the drake gains 1 PiP at the beginning of its turn.
Combat abilities:
--[-3]Bite: A drake clamps their powerful jaws on an enemy, dealing 1d12 ongoing damage. Ongoing damage can be removed with medical training. There really needs to be rules about bandaging and suchlike.
--[+1]Rake: A drake swipes its claws, dealing 1d10 damage.
--[-2]Kick: A drake kicks, dealing 1d8 damage and stunning the target (save ends).

---
Wild animals

Leucrotta
Leucrotta, also known as "devil badgers", are about as big and intelligent as bears. These black creatures have white stripes, brown claws, thick forelegs, and an incredibly wrinkly neck that houses the muscles holding together their scissor-like jaw. Because of their sharp teethblades, Leucrotta can actually bite through bone; however they are opportunistic omnivores and can be convinced that some creatures are simply not worth the effort if they put up significant resistance. Leucrotta are generally solitary but gather for mating season.

HP 30
Traits:
--Screw this I'm outta here: If a Leucrotta is bloodied at the beginning of its turn, it will retreat from combat.
Combat abilities:
--[+2]Swipe: A Leucrotta deals 1d8 to a target and half that rounded down to adjacent targets.
--[-4]Snap: A Leucrotta deals 6 ongoing damage to a target and stuns them. (Save ends Stun, but damage requires medical training to counter.)
--[+1]Growl: A Leucrotta raises its hackles, frightening opponents and gaining Resist 5 until its next turn.

---
Gods and Demigods

The Nameless
The Nameless was once a mortal, but ascended to a position equal to Celestia by absorbing all the life and magical force of a country. Nopony knows this, though, because Celestai had banned any knowledge and research into the Nameless outside a very high-profile and secret cabal. Her reason for doing so is simple: The more that a pony knows about the Nameless, the more the Nameless knows about that pony. And given that the Nameless has domain over Those Who Are Broken, in a similar fashion as Celestia has domain over the Sun, that is potentially very, very dangerous.

The Nameless can appear either as a bank of fog, or as a silent, slender colt in a suit with a rune on his flank and no face to speak of.

HP 120
Traits:
--I Know You Know: At the start of the battle, every combatant rolls 1d20 and adds their sanity. If the result is 20 or below, they are automatically weakened; if the result is 10 or below, they also suffer 3 Vulnerability.
--Foolish Mortals: If bloodied, the Nameless grows a large number of black arms and its features rip open in a parody of a mouth. The following abilities are gained:
---Scream: +1 PiP. The target rolls a persuasion check with a bonus equal to their sanity and a DC of 45. Failure results in the Nameless Domineering the target.
---Slash: -2 PiP. The Nameless does 1d12 damage to the target.
Abilities:
--Breathe: +1PiP. The Nameless does 1 damage each to any four targets.
--Slide: -1 PiP, immediate interrupt. If an enemy manages to Stun the Nameless, it gains Resist 10 until it is no longer stunned.
--Shush: +1 PiP. Target rolls a persuasion check with a bonus equal to their sanity and a DC of 40. Failure results in the Nameless Domineering the target.
--Fade Out: 0 PiP. The Nameless turns into a bank of fog. It cannot be attacked and regains 1d8 HP per round, but the only ability it can use is Fade In. Domineered subjects remain domineered. Fade Out can only last for five rounds.
--Fade In: 0 PiP. The Nameless collates into a physical entity and gains access to all its abilities. This can only be used if Fade Out has been used, and Fade Out cannot be used again for ten rounds after this is used.
--Take: -8 PiP. The target rolls 1d10 and adds their current HP. If the result is 15 or below, both the target and The Nameless disappear from battle entirely to an unknown location. If the result is 16 or above, the target is stunned for that number-15 rounds.

Last edited by Masterweaver on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Monsters by Weaver Empty Re: Monsters by Weaver

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:17 am

Edited The Nameless so his I Know You Know ability is more potent.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 am

(Posted this in the wrong place. Derp. 9.6 )

Last edited by The Warrior of Many Faces on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:54 am

...Yeeeah you probably should. Don't want me being credited with your awesomeness!
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:50 pm

....no thoughts? Nobody?
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Masterweaver wrote:....no thoughts? Nobody?

Whoops, sorry. XP

Well, I like the way you handled the Fae, although I find myself wondering what good the Wisps are in battle. The Trolls in particular are good; a wee bit dark for MLP considering they eat people whole to feed on their magic, but hey, I hear we have Pony Beelzebub around somewhere, so this is nothing in comparison.

Drakes are fine, but they didn't really grab me. Same with the devil badgers (because I'm not spelling the other name XD).

The Nameless is certainly a scary potential boss. Both the potential to heal up to 40 HP without being attacked and the possibility of having one party member having to fight the Nameless alone... it doesn't do much damage, true, but that's not its style; it would rather just Dominate the whole party, even if it has to be there for hours waiting for them to get a Nat 1 on their Persuasion. I'm a bit confused about what Those Who Are Broken entails. Are we talking like Discorded broken, or something a little less extreme?
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Discord, and also Party of One Pinkie. Actually, any CMFIS ponies.

Basically if you're not sane, he can take you.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Discord, and also Party of One Pinkie. Actually, any CMFIS ponies.

Basically if you're not sane, he can take you.

So, in other words, every adventuring party ever? XD
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:15 pm

No, adventuring parties are a more complete crazy. Like... broken is broken. You know. When they just... lose it.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Masterweaver wrote:No, adventuring parties are a more complete crazy. Like... broken is broken. You know. When they just... lose it.

So not normal crazy, more like "the thing I care about most has turned into an absolute nightmare" kind of crazy?
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeeeah, that's good.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:03 am

HP 1
Traits
--Harmless: The wisp takes low priority on any attack, including random attacks.
Combat abilities:
--[1]Charm: Immediate Interrupt. If an enemy attacks and makes physical contact, the attacker MUST make an instant d20+persuasion roll of DC 30, no friendship bonus allowed. Success allows the attack to go through normally. Failure results in the Domination of the attacker for the rest of combat and 3d10 hours after combat; the character is compelled to follow the wisp and must make a saving throw every hour after combat to avoid losing HP, but will not attack or resist any assaults. Using weapons nullifies this attack!
--[-1]Absorb: Immediate Interrupt. If an enemy attacks with magic, the attack is immediately nullified.

"Low priority" is incredibly vague. It's hard to enforce that with a choice of attack, and random attacks are, well, random. How does a lighting bolt or somesuch decide "Yeah, ok, not going to strike this specific spot"? Furthermore, you're basing the Charm and Absorb abilities based on what an attack's flavor is, not the attack itself.

HP 20+1d20
Traits:
--Magical field: If a magical attack ever does more then the troll's total HP/2 rounded up damage, the troll is TURNED TO STONE and instantly defeated.
--Specialized Environment: Trolls with 30 or more basic HP select ONE environment; they gain a +2 starting PiPs in that environment.
--Ogre: If a troll's basic HP is 36 or higher, they have a second head and cannot be stunned.
Combat Abilities:
--[+4]Swallow whole: The troll can swallow any defeated enemy whose HP is less then their total.
--[-6]Regenerate: The troll regains 1d12 HP.
--[-2]POUND: The troll swings its fist, dealing 2d10 damage to the target and 1d10 damage to adjacent targets.
--[+2]Taunt: The target is subject to insults from the troll, becoming demoralized and Weakened (save ends).

These are monsters, not player characters. Isn't Specialized Environment essentially saying "If you're unlucky enough that this monster rolled high on its HP, you also have to contend with an extra +2 PiPs"? What does "Swallow Whole" do?

HP 40
Traits:
--Caught the scent: For every enemy and ally bloodied or suffering ongoing damage, the drake gains 1 PiP at the beginning of its turn.
Combat abilities:
--[-3]Bite: A drake clamps their powerful jaws on an enemy, dealing 1d12 ongoing damage. Ongoing damage can be removed with medical training. There really needs to be rules about bandaging and suchlike.
--[-2]Rake: A drake swipes its claws, dealing 1d10 damage.
--[+1]Kick: A drake kicks, dealing 1d8 damage and stunning the target (save ends).

Isn't Rake a little... underpowered, for a -2 PiP attack?

HP 120
Traits:
--I Know You Know: At the start of the battle, every combatant rolls 1d20 and adds their sanity. If the result is 20 or below, they are automatically weakened; if the result is 10 or below, they also suffer 3 Vulnerability.
--Foolish Mortals: If bloodied, the Nameless grows a large number of black arms and its features rip open in a parody of a mouth. The following abilities are gained:
---Scream: +1 PiP. The target rolls a persuasion check with a bonus equal to their sanity and a DC of 45. Failure results in the Nameless Domineering the target.
---Slash: -2 PiP. The Nameless does 1d12 damage to the target.
Abilities:
--Breathe: -1PiP. The Nameless does 1 damage each to any four targets.
--Slide: +1 PiP, immediate interrupt. If an enemy manages to Stun the Nameless, it gains Resist 10 until it is no longer stunned.
--Shush: +1 PiP. Target rolls a persuasion check with a bonus equal to their sanity and a DC of 40. Failure results in the Nameless Domineering the target.
--Fade Out: 0 PiP. The Nameless turns into a bank of fog. It cannot be attacked and regains 1d8 HP per round, but the only ability it can use is Fade In. Domineered subjects remain domineered. Fade Out can only last for five rounds.
--Fade In: 0 PiP. The Nameless collates into a physical entity and gains access to all its abilities. This can only be used if Fade Out has been used, and Fade Out cannot be used again for ten rounds after this is used.
--Take: -8 PiP. The target rolls 1d10 and adds their current HP. If the result is 15 or below, both the target and The Nameless disappear from battle entirely to an unknown location. If the result is 16 or above, the target is stunned for that number-15 rounds.

You're mixing in combat and non-combat with that Persuasion check for Scream and Shush. Breathe is INCREDIBLY underpowered for a -1 PiP attack. On the other hand, Slide is incredibly OVERPOWERED for a +1 PiP attack. This is a personal gripe, but a boss monster that can heal themselves with no penalty (and Domination doesn't end while doing so) sounds incredibly annoying. As for Take, I'm a little confused as to what it does. Instant-kill of a character? End the fight? Something else?
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:13 am

Most of these were me interpreting freeform RP monsters into the system.

The wisp, yes, is kind of a joke. It's more an environmental hazard then a monster, but... you know.

As for trolls... I assume the DM can fudge the numbers and give the players a recurring enemy. The Mountain troll that follows you through jungles and deserts for instance. Swallow whole gets rid of a character forever.... maybe trolls should be high level bosses.

If you think Rake is underpowered, I guess I can push it up to a +1 PiP.

The Nameless was meant to be a Slender Colt analogue. Maybe I should switch the costs of Breathe and Slide...? As for Take, well, that's up to the DM.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:17 pm

One thing that caught my eye on a quick glance is the Drake's Kick ability. A [+1] that does damage and stuns (save ends) is far too overpowered. If you had a group of drakes equal to the party in question, they would be stun-locked forever, a stunning move should always have [-pips] as it's cost. I'd place it at [-2] and make it so it stuns only one turn.

Of course you've already mention changing his rake to [+1] which is good. Although with the drake's trait in mind, I would suggest changing the effect of rake to: Rake - [+1] target takes 3 ongoing damage. That way the creature can actually use it's trait right away without having to wait four turns. I really love the concept behind the trait, it would be a shame to see it go unused for so long.

Just a friendly suggestion Smile
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DoubleCross Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:25 pm

I think the Wisp is more than a regular jokeā€¦ being a flying rainbow jellyfish...
DoubleCross
DoubleCross
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

http://needsmoarg4.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:40 pm

I actually designed these guys with a 4 PiP starting count in my head. But I'll heighten Kick cost.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down