Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan of the Steppes

+5
Quietkal
Ramsus
Caden2112
Grey Pen The Flawed
Curunir
9 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Khan of the Steppes - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan of the Steppes

Post  Ramsus Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 pm

"Hmmm. I see. Or not really I guess. And yes, it is terrible." Anemone says somberly.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 pm

"I can't even imagine what it must be like. If it's not too bold to ask, how exactly did that happen?"
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 pm

"My tribe got wiped out. I'd really rather not talk about it at the moment." Anemone said flatly.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm

"Oh.... I'm sorry..." the shaman said quietly, mind racing towards a suitable subject change. "Sooo, would you happen to know when Udus Khan is going to speak?"

((Hint hint.))
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:55 pm

"Udus Khan...He's got a few things he needs to handle before he speaks, or so I heard." Silver approached, having been eavesdropping after the dance...She could understand a bit of what the gazelle had gone through, but chose not to pick at the wound for now. "Don't worry, though, I think he's thought this thing through, he doesn't seem the type to rush off with half-baked plans." The minitaur shifted her weight a bit, chuckling as she looked at the two.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Cau'rha regarded the newcomer with curiosity. She seemed awfully small for a minotaur... and yet she spoke and carried herself with a maturity that made it hard to mistake her for a child.

He decided not to make any mention of it. Spirits worked in mysterious ways (who would know that better than Cau'rha?); who was he to question it or find it odd?

"Oh no! I'm not saying he isn't. It's just the plan he's rumored to have correlates very closely with our own goals, is all," he replied to the minitaur. "My tribe's goals, I mean!" he added a little too quickly...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 pm

Anemone regarded Silver with clear curiosity and says, "That's good to know." Then she turns back to Cau'rha and asks, "And what rumors have you heard?"
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 am

A silence began to fall, emanating from the lake shore, excited whispers passing through the crowd seemingly at the same time as the light breeze that followed, clearing away the collection of camp smoke and leaving the air clean with the smell of the freshwater lake and the pines below the peaks on the other side. The changing wind cleared away the few clouds that had been in the sky, causing them to retreat towards the horizon or around the higher rock formations.

"Is it time?" asked one excited foal.
"What's all the fuss about?" muttered an indifferent aged donkey.
"There! I think it's Khan Udus" some pony in the crowd exclaimed.
"Really now, I hope that wind was a coincidence. This whole thing seems overly dramatic." snorted a large bull.

On top of a wooden platform built in the middle of the peninsula jutting into the lake, stood what was presumably Udus Khan. The buffalo was wearing a pointed hat in dark red and gold, lined with black fur. Nothing else adorned him, not even paint or tattoos to signify his rank or tribe. He looked small compared to the backdrop of the enormous tent he had set up, although even giving allowances for proportionality he was not as large as a buffalo can be. Still, he had an imposing presence, and after standing for only a minute, slowly turning his head to take in the entire crowd, the entire gathering was practically silent.

"Fellow dwellers of the steppe, I come to you today with a simple proposition. One that many of you seem to have heard about somehow in one form or other. For too long have fought each other, going to great lengths to find differences while ignoring our similarities. We have become like vultures, lazing about on our perches, waiting to squabble over a rodent corpse. When was the last time any member of our clans has done anything worthy of song or tales? While I am sure many of you honor the heroics of some of your warriors, and I mean them no disrespect, they simply do not compare with the accomplishments of the heroes of old. How have we come to the point where seizing a supply of food, or saving a flock of chickens from raiders is the most we can hope for out of life?"

Udus gave a signal with his tail. A buffalo and large pony came out of the tent onto the platform carrying a large roll of cloth. They approached the end of the structure before dropping it over the edge, catching the top with their hooves. It was made of some strange brightly colored cloth fixed together into swirling and brilliant patterns.

"We know that there are better things out there. Many of you have had the experience of trading with wandering merchants, who offer trinkets for our furs, crafts, or simply a meal for the journey. While we wrestle in the mud, their kingdoms create great works of art, live in luxury, and travel to distant lands! Why should it not be our right to lead greater lives as well? We are no less deserving- on the contrary, we are hardier, better equipped to handle the difficulties of this world. We have only encountered their most intrepid travelers, and even they seem to have as much difficulty traveling across our lands as an infant or an elder."

"To cut to the point, my plan is to put an end to the feuds that make us weak. I ask you to join together under one banner."

Murmurs ranging from astonishment to outrage rippled through the crowds.

"That is all I have to say. While I hope you heed my words, I realize many of you were decided before even arriving here. I will discuss specifics with any who wish to speak with me, agreeably or disagreeably, in my tent. I yield the platform to any others who have business to discuss with the clans. Enjoy the rest of the Meet!"

The air, which had been still during the whole speech, started stirring up again as a number of discussions started up and a number of individuals began making their way towards the tent, equaling if not exceeding the gathering's volume from before the announcement. A large pony with red painted hooves had taken the platform after Udus had left, and appeared to be yelling against the khan's speech, but could not be heard at any great distance over the crowd and the wind.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 am

Cau'rha all but gasped at the Khan's proposal. While it certainly made sense, and made his own mission substantially easier, the scale of it all was far beyond what he had expected. But then, what fool reveals his plans before they're set into motion?

Having decided a private conversation would be the best bet, he made his way to the Khan's tent and waited his turn to come in...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:30 am

Zane looks towards Udus Khan's tent, before turning the the changeling.
"It was good meeting you Book Smart; you're really been most kind.
But it would seem my time to depart. Perhaps our paths will remain entwined."

Zane flashes a smile before trotting towards the no doubt immense line to talk to the Khan.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 am

Anemone found herself standing side by side with Cau'rha even after having thought she left him behind to go speak to the Khan, if only to say she wished to join his tribe. "Ah." she said, "Well, I suppose this isn't much of a surprise. I wish you luck with whatever business your tribe has with Khan Udus and hope it will not result in us becoming enemies."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 am

"That is quite the proposition," Silver Wind stated as the crowd murmured and began to disperse. Several members of the Prairie Strider tribe were gathered around them. Sleipnir nodded as Prairie Grass fidgeted, perched on top of Silver Wind's back. She wrinkled her nose, "His hat is funny." Silver Wind and a few of the other tribe members chuckled at that. "He's a bold one that's for sure," Silver Wind agreed.

Sleipnir seemed deep in thought. Silver Wind tapped him on the shoulder to wake him up. "Hey, what are you thinking?"

"I was just thinking that change will not come easy, if, or when it comes at all." Sleipnir replied. "Udus Khan must have a plan in order to come before all the tribes with such conviction."

"I wouldn't think too hard on that," Silver Wind replied. "I doubt things will change, it has been this way for generations."

"I'm bored and hungry," Prairie Grass interrupted, laying her front hooves over Silver Wind's shoulders. Her words punctuated with a whine. There was more chuckling from the other tribe members. "Well then," Silver Wind turned his head to Sleipnir, "We'll be going back to our camp. If you want to wait in that," he pointed towards the crowd gathering at Khan Udus' tent, "You can go right ahead." He then turned and trotted back towards the camp with friends in tow. "Tell me how it goes!" he called back with a wave before disappearing behind a yurt.

Sleipnir waved back until his friend disappeared, then he turned towards Khan Udus' magnificent tent. He trotted up to the quickly swelling gathered and got in line. The cool lake breeze blew through his mane and kept him cool under the hot mid-day sun. It was going to be a while.

-Meanwhile-

A large pony with red painted hooves had taken the platform after Udus had left. "Udus Khan is a fool. He believes we are weak and lazy? I, Crimson Hoof, son of Crimson Khan, Slayer of Beasts, spit on his offer of peace. Redhoof is greatest tribe in all the Steppes. Our warriors are the strongest and bravest of all.

"He would have us trade our heritage, our strength, for rolls of useless cloth from soft children across the Sun Sand? I say that Udus Khan is coward and thief. A weak Khan makes all who follow him equally as weak. Our struggles have made us strong. Do not give yourself to his frail, feeble dream; for it will turn you into a frail, feeble creature unworthy of living in this great land."
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Waschbaer Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 am

Settling back, Book Smart found himself glad that he had no particular business with the Khan. Still, there was something nagging at the back of his mind. He pondered Udus' words for a moment before a sudden thought struck him. Wait, this could be the biggest thing to happen in generations. The tale to end all tales. And it's happening right in front of me! I can't just sit here! Who knows when something like this might come along again?

Book glanced over at his tribesponies before looking back toward the the form of the rapidly retreating Zebra. Making his choice, he got to his hooves and started after. As he did, he murmured to himself, "New experiences, maybe even new friends. This could be just the thing I was looking for here."

Waschbaer
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

Azureink wrote:"A large pony with red painted hooves had taken the platform after Udus had left. "Udus Khan is a fool. He believes we are weak and lazy? I, Crimson Hoof, son of Crimson Khan, Slayer of Beasts, spit on his offer of peace. Redhoof is greatest tribe in all the Steppes. Our warriors are the strongest and bravest of all.

"He would have us trade our heritage, our strength, for rolls of useless cloth from soft children across the Sun Sand? I say that Udus Khan is coward and thief. A weak Khan makes all who follow him equally as weak. Our struggles have made us strong. Do not give yourself to his frail, feeble dream; for it will turn you into a frail, feeble creature unworthy of living in this great land."

Despite his short ears, Cau'rha's hearing was surprisingly sharp; having heard this, he decided he needed to speak up. But, he didn't want to give up his spot in line....

Taking in several deep breaths, Cau'rha started drawing in spirits. The air was thick enough with them that no ritual circle was necessary. He began trying to find one that could speak for him...

It's Witchcraft!:

((ASSUMING IT WORKS; then the below happens next. If not, then disregard the next bit..))

"Watch this," Cau'rha said quietly, having found a spirit of sounds.

"Ask yourself, Crimson Hoof," the goat spoke in a normal tone of voice, knowing that the pony would hear him. "Why do you call yourself strong? Is it strength to take what belongs to others, knowing they can't stop you? Are you strong from killing those who only wish to live their lives? No. You are not. You are a selfish braggart who cares nothing for the troubles of others. There is, right now, a lone Gazelle in this crowd, who's only crime was happenstance survival, and has been given a punishment reserved for murderers in some tribes; she has been doomed to wander alone, and by whom? None other than a tribe of thieves and murderers. That is what your tribe is. If you disagree, seek out a shaman to remove the curse of idiocy from you, before your sins visit their eternal vengeance upon you," he finished his speech, holding on to the spirit in case the pony replied...

Persuasion:

Last edited by Grey Pen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Darn smileys.)
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Silver listened to the speeches as calmly as she could, though her jaw dropped a bit at the Khan's bold words...She'd expected something big, but that was...Just insane. Insane in a good way, but insane nonetheless...In what seemed like an instant, he had a group outside his tent trying to jockey for his attention, and Crimson was naturally throwing a fit over it...He...Probably wouldn't be the only one. She decided to go ahead and join the others in the line, the better to keep watch...She owed Udus a lot, afterall, and it was only fair she keep an eye out on his behalf. She couldn't help but smirk at the goat's reprisal, though...

Spoiler:
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm

While the crowd was a bit rowdy following Udus' speech, with a chaotic herd trying to make its way to the Khan's tent while Crimson Hoof shouted from the roof, and many were arguing outside the tent. A few were huffily making their way back to their camps or making to leave the Meet to tell the news (good or ill) to the rest of their clans. But the situation was still quite civil for the steppes, as even the excitement had not made any forget the sacred ground they stood on. Udus Khan was safe for now.

Silver did however notice a few strange individuals milling about the crowd, unnoticed by most throughout the confusion. Two camels, one with a single hump and one with two, glanced at each other nervously, clearly foreign merchants. A number of ponies in the crowd also appeared strange, on second glance it being clear that their robes and hats were only made in imitation of Steppe style, before they disappeared again into the masses.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:36 pm

"How did you know it was-!?" Anemone exclaims in surprise before suddenly cutting off and bowing her head low. "P-pardon my rudeness Shaman."

Deep Focus: 19 + 1 + 5 = 25. Nothing.
Arcana to notice the magic: 5 + 1 + 19 = 25

I tried to think of more to add here but, really she'd just keep quite till he said something.

Last edited by Ramsus on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

"No need for apologies; you deserve an explanation. It was a simple process of elimination," Cau'rha replied. "I knew for sure the the Red Hoof tribe has been absorbing and killing other tribes. I knew for sure that you were without a tribe, and I knew it was an uncomfortable subject for you. That leaves two ways for it to happen; Either as a punishment for a crime, or by everyone else not being there any more. A criminal wouldn't dare come to the Meet, so I decided you must be a survivor," he explained, feeling a bit proud of his logical leap. "And even if you weren't, the horrible fact remains that you aren't the only tribe less one in the world. It's not too big of a stretch that there might be other survivors of such attacks."

Having finished, he returned his attention to his attempt to reach the Khan's tent, and by extension his attention...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm

"Ah... I'm sure not everyone else is dead..." Anemone says softly and mournfully, more to herself than to Cau'rha.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 pm

"Don't think that way," Cau'rha said reassuringly. "I never said anything about death or betrayal, and I won't ask about either; it's your business, and I intruded upon it enough with my logical leap. I said 'not there any more'. Your tribe will one day be rebuilt in all it's former glory; these Red Hooves have only so long they can continue before they roll some Nat 1s fall flat on their foolish faces. They can't keep this up, and I suspect one or two of them know it," he said with conviction, continuing to walk towards and through the mass of miscellaneous tribe members.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Wait...Camels...Why were they so nervous...And what was with those outfits...They looked good enough to pass a casual look, but...No, Steele was worried...They'd vanished into the crowd before she got a good look at their faces, though...Maybe she was just being twitchy...On the other hand, if she'd been better at keeping an eye open, she wouldn't be here...How to go about this...She started trying to ask around carefully, see if anyone had noticed anything odd recently, and if anyone knew anything about those camels...

Spoiler:

Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Grey Pen wrote:"Ask yourself, Crimson Hoof," the goat spoke in a normal tone of voice, knowing that the pony would hear him. "Why do you call yourself strong? Is it strength to take what belongs to others, knowing they can't stop you? Are you strong from killing those who only wish to live their lives? No. You are not. You are a selfish braggart who cares nothing for the troubles of others. There is, right now, a lone Gazelle in this crowd, who's only crime was happenstance survival, and has been given a punishment reserved for murderers in some tribes; she has been doomed to wander alone, and by whom? None other than a tribe of thieves and murderers. That is what your tribe is. If you disagree, seek out a shaman to remove the curse of idiocy from you, before your sins visit their eternal vengeance upon you," he finished his speech, holding on to the spirit in case the pony replied...
Crimson Hoof went wide eyed as a disembodied voice chastised him. Even he knew that the spirits were to be revered and their advice taken heed. However, he also knew that the spirits didn't talk in full sentences and were more likely to give signs or, if they talked, say a few words at most. This was a shaman's work. The dawning comprehension caused his eyes to narrow and his nostrils to flare. His large head moved side to side, scanning the crowd in order to find the individual brazen enough to call him a coward. "Who dares call the great Crimson Hoof, son of Crimson Khan, a thief while hiding in the shadows?!" he bellowed. "Show yourself and see how weak I really am!"
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 pm

"Don't make yourself a fool, Crimson Hooves," Cau'rha chastised further, the irritation in his voice clear. "Nobody else can hear me but you. And I shall gladly confront you in the morning; right now I've got a meeting to attend, and I mustn't miss it," he explained in an exasperated tone, allowing his sound-spirit to leave as he continued towards the Khan's tent...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 am

Zane stands up on his hind hooves, cups his front hooves around his mouth for volume, and shouts at the goat shaman, "WEEEEEEEAK."
((How big of a crowd are we talking about for going to speak to Udus Khan? Just so I get some perspective.))
Noticing his new friend continuing to accompany him, Zane offers a smile.
"I do not wish to bemoan, but I must speak so you know my intent.
I would ask that I go in alone, but that would set the wrong precedent.

You may join me if you so desire, but be aware that I must speak for my tribe.
We approve of his proposed ceasefire; to his plan for merging the clans we subscribe.

If you do not believe the same, do not have fear.
You and your kin I will not defame, for I believe you are my peer."

Rolls:
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Waschbaer Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Peering nervously at the crowd now surrounding them, Book Smart startles a bit and glances over at Zane. "Oh, that all right! Go on ahead. I didn't really come to speak to the Khan. This plan of his could be the biggest thing in generations, especially with this Crimson Hoof fighting it, but I'm not here to speak for my tribe. I just want to ask some of the others around here what they know about it."

History Roll:

"It's like a puzzle. See, I've head some, um, things about the Redhoof tribe. Um, some of them are really, really bad, but it's hard to know what's true and what's just rumor. So, I thought I'd go up to everyone here and ask each of them to tell me if they have any stories about the Redhoof or Udus Khan. Then, when I've collected all the stories, I may be able to say what's true and what's not." As he finishes, Book gestures excitedly to the crowd around him.

Waschbaer
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next