Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan of the Steppes (Signup/info/OOC/stuff) (Full Again)

+11
Stargaze
Quietkal
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Waschbaer
Azureink
Grey Pen The Flawed
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
A1C Bronymous
Curunir
15 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Khan of the Steppes (Signup/info/OOC/stuff) (Full Again) Empty Khan of the Steppes (Signup/info/OOC/stuff) (Full Again)

Post  Curunir Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:52 am

Life on the steppes is simple, if harsh.  By banding together into nomadic clans using the unique talents of different races, your people have managed to tame this inhospitable environment.  There is grass to eat, milk to drink, and warm felt gers to sleep in, and crafts to be made with wood, grass, wool, and bone.  Conflict between the clans is common, but indecisive, leading to endless grudges that usually result only in pranks and petty theft.  

But does life need to be this way?  Udus Khan the Buffalo has a unique vision of somehow uniting the squabbling steppe clans, and riding out to find a better life, that travelers claim is had by others who live away from the plains.  Many think this impossible, but Udus' dream has great appeal.  Whether you seek to aid him in his quest for unity, try to accomplish it yourself, seek out excitement through adventure or bring about domestic change, you agree something needs to be done.  Maybe you're tired of eating the dry steppe grass.  Maybe you haven't liked milk since you were young.  Maybe your cozy yurt is just not comfy enough.  Maybe life is getting a little too predictable.  Then go out and do something about it!

Setting: You're on the steppes!  There are many different races here, including (but not limited to- these are the most common) Buffalo, Ponies (mostly Earth Ponies, Unicorns and Pegasi are less common), Donkeys, Sheep, Goats, and Cows, in addition to rarer Griffons.  It could be in the same world as Equestria, but who really knows?  If it is its really really far away.  The level of technology on the steppes is roughly that of 13th century Mongolia, although it could be different elsewhere (certainly if travelers' tales can be believed!)  The steppe people are organized into a large number of clans who often compete for the scarce resources of the land, and a local Khan named Udus seems to have grand plans for them.

Character Creation: Mostly anything can go here.  You can create/alter your own race, as long as you are one of the core races, or some animal that would fare well on the steppes.  There is much diversity on the steppes: your character or their ancestors could have ended up here somehow!  While exceptional for the steppes, your character is in the greater scope of things, quite poor and has 500 gold, or some treasured trinket of equivalent value.  Because I like GreyPen's Flaws idea, you may use the Flaws in that thread, taking one flaw beyond your utility talent limit for free (a la Derp Quest) although you are not required to- although if you want additional Flaws they will take up a Utility Talent slot.  

EDIT: Recruitment: Since two players have had to leave, I will be recruiting up to two more players if anyone is interested.  The party desires at least one replacement talks-to-animals character, and I would recommend a replacement character to have at least some of those utility talents, as they have been and will continue to be useful in this setting!

Character Backstory: Whether born to the steppes, exiled there, or settling there of your own accord, your character has lived a long time on the steppes.  The players' characters are all from the same clan, and likely know of each other, if not knowing each other personally.  There is some reason your character wants to change their standard steppe lifestyle.

This will be for a reasonable number of players.  (a glance at other campaigns here tell me 3-6 is the number to aim for).  New players like myself will be preferred, but I welcome experienced players (and their potential advice) as well!

More information will be provided on request.  In the likely event I forgot something, or you're just curious.

DM: Me! Curunir.
Azureink: Sleipnir the Earth Pony - (Prairie Strider Clan)
Waschbaer: Book Smart the Changeling   -  (Dark Water Clan)
Caden2112: Silver Steele the "Mini"taur  -  (Udus Khan)
Fury of the Tempest:Storm Blade the Pegasus - ?
Paper Shadow- ? the Spirit of Conquest - ?

Former Players:
Grey Pen: Cau'rah the Goat -( La Mancha)
Quietkal: Zane the Zebra - (Mist Tails Clan)
Ramsus: Anemone Gracehoof the Gazelle (- Grey Plain - Soaring Arrow - Udus Khan)

MORE INFOS

Map:

Other Known Characters/Groups:

Last edited by Curunir on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:53 am; edited 23 times in total
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Khan of the Steppes (Signup/info/OOC/stuff) (Full Again) Empty Re: Khan of the Steppes (Signup/info/OOC/stuff) (Full Again)

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 am

Not sure if I'm going to sign up for this one, but I would like to say that your chosen setting is really interesting, and a refreshing change of scenery.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Khan of the Steppes (Signup/info/OOC/stuff) (Full Again) Empty Re: Khan of the Steppes (Signup/info/OOC/stuff) (Full Again)

Post  Ramsus Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:51 am

I agree, I like the setting. I'll tentatively sign up. Though, I'm sure there are plenty of people who aren't in games yet/want in to more and I'm in a bunch so, I'll step aside if you've got 6 people already by the time I wake up tomorrow. (This also saves me from making a character and then going "argh!" when I can't play them.)
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:59 am

I love seeing a pny game that's so different. Pitty I'm already at my limit for games or I'd be in this in a heartbeat.

I wish this campaign the best.

PS: KKHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 am

I'll sign up! Will try to get a character sheet up later.

And THANK YOU for helping test the Flaws supplement! Though I don't think I can call it strictly mine at this point.

EDIT: I wanna be a Goat!

I presume we're going with 6 points? Here it is:

My current racial talents:

Heart Of Courage (2)
A Goat gains a +5 bonus when attempting any skill check with a DC of 30 or higher.

Escape Artist [Naturally Skilled] (2)
A Goat gains the "Leggo!" utility talent at character creation.

Sproing! [Feline Grace] (1)
A Goat takes no damage from falls.

We're Just Good At This Stuff (1)
A Goat gains an additional trained skill.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm glad you all seem to like the setting, thank you for the compliments! Now we'll just have to see how it works in practice...

Yes, if you make your own race use 6 points to create it (since that is, I believe, the number all the standard races have)

Grey Pen, your goat race is most certainly approved! And I didn't mean to not recognize the many others who contributed to the Flaws section, I was only referring to the fact that you were the one who started the thread.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Curunir wrote:Yes, if you make your own race use 6 points to create it (since that is, I believe, the number all the standard races have)
Actually they have announced they are making it 8 points soon. If they haven't already. We have been using 8 for Dan/Staric's games.

But if you like, I can remove 2 points (Heart of Courage) from my 8 to make it 6.
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Um... why are we doing 6 points? Nobody does that. Mostly because we know it's going to end up at 8. Also Ponykinesis only costs 1 point. That's another thing everyone has been doing since that supplement came out. Damn I wish they'd friggin update that thing just that much so people stop making these mistakes, thinking they actually update things regularly. *sigh*
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Waschbaer Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I think this setting sounds absolutely fascinating! I haven't played Pony Tales before and don't really have any experience with Play by Post (if that's how you're doing it), but I'd love to try if you're willing to take on a newbie.

Waschbaer
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Waschbaer: Don't worry, we'll help you. Provided you tell us how to pronounce your name.

Azureink: You forgot your free Flaw! Or are you electing to do without (which I understand completely.)
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Waschbaer wrote:I think this setting sounds absolutely fascinating! I haven't played Pony Tales before and don't really have any experience with Play by Post (if that's how you're doing it), but I'd love to try if you're willing to take on a newbie.
I am willing to help you in anything I can. If you want we can even talk on Skype and I can help you through the creation process like I have with a few others. phillip.javitz is my Skype Name. I can even send you an invitation to join the official Skype chat for Pony Tales if you want.

Grey Pen wrote:Azureink: You forgot your free Flaw! Or are you electing to do without (which I understand completely.)
What flaw?
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Curunir wrote:Because I like Grey Pen's Flaws idea, you may use the Flaws in that thread instead of utility traits, and may also take one additional flaw beyond your trait limit (a la Derp Quest) although you are not required to.

THAT Flaw!

Sausage Link!
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Azureink wrote:
Grey Pen wrote:Azureink: You forgot your free Flaw! Or are you electing to do without (which I understand completely.)
What flaw?
The GM decided to allow the use of community-made "flaws", which are utility talents which give a large bonus, but also a downside. The only official talent which could be considered a flaw, which is what inspired the thread in the first place, is Derp. Derp is a utility talent which gives an extra magic point when you start the day, but as a cost, you cause critical fails when you roll a 2 or 3, in addition to rolling a 1. The flaws the community made may not be as powerful as Derp, but they won't be as bad. The GM is interested in the concept, and has allowed you to use the flaws in their game. This allows players to test the flaws, see balance problems, and increase interest in the idea, which may help it become official...

You can find the flaws here, on the first post...

Of course, the problem with flaws is that, why would you take something which is both good and bad, when you could take a normal utility talent which is good? As such, the GM has decided that you may take any flaw on the first post of that topic as an additional free utility talent. You can't use this free talent on a normal utility talent, and if you take a second flaw, the second one will take a utility talent slot. Now, don't feel forced to take a flaw if you don't wish to. If you feel none of them are worth the downsides, even if they don't take a talent slot, then don't take one. It's your character, and your choices. The GM is only opening options to those who wish to take them...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:27 pm

The shadows of paper show great insight... I must be wary of them...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Azureink you might want to drop Naturally Skilled and take a Cutie Mark instead.
Edit: Also you have 1 too many Utility Talents.
Edit 2: I can't really tell why you have Gather Energy. If it's just for the PiPs you might want to consider I Meant To Do That instead. Considering your combo of Taunting Strike and Quick Strike, Gather Energy actually just slows you down.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Waschbaer Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Azureink wrote:I am willing to help you in anything I can. If you want we can even talk on Skype and I can help you through the creation process like I have with a few others. phillip.javitz is my Skype Name. I can even send you an invitation to join the official Skype chat for Pony Tales if you want.
Thanks! Although I've read the Player's Handbook and am making my way through the supplements, I'm not as familiar with the extra material released in the various forums, so I'd certainly appreciate the help. I didn't even know there was an official Skype chat. Skype name "waschbaerred"

Grey Pen wrote:Waschbaer: Don't worry, we'll help you. Provided you tell us how to pronounce your name.
Thank you! "V-ah-sh-bear" is reasonable, but I'm not particular. Very Happy

Waschbaer
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm willing to help people with stuff too. In fact, I probably will chime in with my opinions whether people ask for them or not.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Ramsus wrote:Azureink you might want to drop Naturally Skilled and take a Cutie Mark instead.
Edit: Also you have 1 too many Utility Talents.
Edit 2: I can't really tell why you have Gather Energy. If it's just for the PiPs you might want to consider I Meant To Do That instead. Considering your combo of Taunting Strike and Quick Strike, Gather Energy actually just slows you down.
I have found Cutie Marks to not be as helpful for the cost.

I have 5 Utilities, +Naturally Skilled (one utility), +Cultural Knowledge (Freaky Knowledge), for a total of 7.

Believe me, I have used this combat build in all my games so far, and "losing" the first round to a Gather Energy is a small price to pay for getting off the combo that comes later. Especially since I Meant To Do That is dependent on rolling a 1 on the first attack. I won't put my hooves in fate to get off this combo.

Waschbaer wrote:Thanks! Although I've read the Player's Handbook and am making my way through the supplements, I'm not as familiar with the extra material released in the various forums, so I'd certainly appreciate the help. I didn't even know there was an official Skype chat. Skype name "waschbaerred"
Ok, apparently the official chat room is full, so I can't get you in. But we can always make PMs/calls to each other regardless. And we could also make our own chat room for The Steppes.
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Ah, I had confused Naturally Skilled with We’re Just Good At This Stuff. This happens to me on occasion since the one that gives you skill training isn't the one with skill in it's name. (I still think it's weird you're making an adult pony without a cutie mark though.)

Could you outline the proposed setup for that combat built then?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Sorry for butting in, but trust me when I say his build is good. It can deal a LOT of damage in a turn, even with the Gather Energy slow start.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 pm

And if you don't show me how, that's useless.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Ramsus wrote:Could you outline the proposed setup for that combat built then?

This is the build with the Spellblade weapon.

Turn 1: [5]
[+1] Gather Energy
Minor

Turn 2: [0]
[+3] Taunting Strike (1d4)
[-7] Wild Abandon
[-1] Whirling Blades (1d4+2d6)

[ 0] Bladespell (3+2d6)

Turn 3: [2]
[+3] Taunting Strike (1d4+2d6)

[ 0] Bladespell (3+2d6)
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Ah, so you're only using GE the once. Ok then.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Ramsus wrote:Ah, so you're only using GE the once. Ok then.
In more involved combat, you could use GE every other round for massive burst damage... or using a healing ability on your allies.

Turn 1: [5]
[+1] Gather Energy
Minor

Turn 2: [0]
[+3] Taunting Strike (1d4)
[-7] Wild Abandon

[ 0] Bladespell (3+2d6)

Turn 3: [0]
[+1] Gather Energy

[ 0] Bladespell (3+2d6)

Turn 4: [?]
Standard
Standard

[ 0] Bladespell (3+2d6)

Last edited by Azureink on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next