Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations]

+14
tygerburningbright
Paper Shadow
Grey Pen The Flawed
Quietkal
thematthew
Caleocek
LoganAura
Xel Unknown
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Hayatecooper
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Stairc -Dan Felder
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations] Empty Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations]

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Got a cool combination or build that you like, or a talent/trait/item you've found an interesting way to use? Share it here and enjoy. sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations] Empty Re: Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations]

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Obviously a trap so you can see what needs to be changed, and what needs to be nerfed.

I'm not falling for it.
This is Flashpoint's current damage combo, at level 3. Items: Quickblade, Hawkeye. Traits: Dangerously Talented, Rapid Recovery Special: Derpy's Lightning

Turn 1: 4 Pips, -2 Meditate (+1d12 on all attacks next 2 turns), 0 Predator's sight (Hawkeye Item, +1d6 to designated target one attack per round)
Turn 2: 2 Pips, +1 Pip from Rapid Recovery, +1 Gather Energy
Turn 3: 4 Pips, -1 Flaming Arrow (1d8+1d12+1d6, 1d6 ongoing)
Turn 3: 3 Pips, Second Standard Action, +1 Demand Duel (1d8 +1d12, 1d8 extra damage if enemy does not attack me on its turn), Immediate Attack -2 Where it Hurts (1d12+1d12)
Turn 3: 2 Pips, Minor Action 0 Fast Strike (Item Quickblade, 1d8+1d12), Immediate Attack -2 Where it Hurts (1d12+1d12)

Final count: 0 Pips. 7d12+3d8+1d6 Damage to single opponent, plus 1d6 Ongoing and 1d8 (if they're still alive somehow) on their own turn if they attack someone other than Flashpoint- NOT COUNTING DERPY'S LIGHTNING.

WHY ITS NOT BROKEN
Requires three turns to pull off, while doing NOTHING to attack the enemy or defend myself on the first two turns.
Stunning will only delay it one turn. Blinding either delays it, or has the chance to kill it if attempted. Dazing on turn 3 ruins it.
Several chances for interrupts or reactions, which could kill the combo or KO Flashpoint prematurely.
Low rolls neuter its impressiveness.

Last edited by Bronymous on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations] Empty Re: Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations]

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 pm

The main combination I know is abusing Hurricane Blade.

Hurricane Blade + Blood Aura/Motion Blur/Rapid Recovery (if you keep your pip's bellow 4) allows to get of Gale & Flash-step without fail, turn after turn. Might also have enough pip's for one typhoon parry depending on how your getting that second +1 PiP.

Add in Fleshrender, and you can rapidly start increasing the ongoing damage your opponent(s) are taking. If you have motion blur, Sneaky Bastard Sword beats Heavy Sword in damage increase as long as the opponent doesn't have 2 resist. Spellblade is more flexible and applies for more than 2 rounds. Robe of the Reaper's allows you to focus on the enemy with the least health and take them out. Lifebound & Hierophant armour balances out damage taken from Blood Aura. Talism of Weapons allows you to pull out the Hurricane Blade ASAP. Boomstick allows you to hit more enemies with Flashstep - combinie with Fleshrender for massivie increases in ongoing damage. Hawkeye & Vicious Hawkeye, again, help you against one guy.

I do have another, longer combination through, it works best with a custom combat talent I've made, but any single target moves of at least [+2] (e.g. Rampage, Taunting Strike, Defensive Fighting) work.

[+2] Nick
Deal 4 damage to target enemy, ignoring Resistance.

Turn 1: Nick/+2
Turn 2: Nick/+2
Turn 3: Gather Energy
Turn 4: Midnight Blade, Meditate
Turn 5: Lightning Bolt
Turn 6: Nick

From there, just use Nick, Gather Energy, Meditate & Lightning Bolt to deal a lot of damage.

Add in Spellblade, (Vicious) Hawkeye, Robe of the Reaper and (Expert) Duelist and your quickly wracking up the damage being dealt.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I wanted to make a character that could for an opponent to develop rather high stop save ends, and not get attacked ended up with this.
Dr Contagion:

Basically, upon start enemies are suffering from -9 to saving throws then preform this.
Turn 1. Spook, bloodwand
Turn 2. Charm
Turn 3. Laugh forever and have fun burning your opponent to death while you play at being untouchable.

Of course you can get -11 if you take Death Scythe into the build as well, but that's chancy cause summoning spook is unbelievably useful.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Just so you know, saving throw penalties can't stack. Very cool build though. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Aww really?

Damn, I liked my -10 to saving throws build. Ahh well, time to go build a sneak attack thief then.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm

This uses either the board version where you get a movement (that you can turn into a minor) or skype using the trait to get 2 minor actions.

Turn 1

Standard - All or Nothing (total pips now 9)
Minor action - Blood weapon (Hp now 20)
Minor action - Douse in blood (Hp now 15, total pips 10)

Turn 2

Minor action -Douse in blood X 2 (Hp now 5, total pips 12)
Free action - Discard Blood Weapon
Standard - Gather Energy (total pips 13)

All or Nothing triggers, Hp becomes -15

Immediate Reaction - Form of the Reaper. Hp now 13 with 3 pips

Turn 3
You have the Necroscythe, 3 pips and two standard actions.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Nehiel Mori, nice move combination of moves. Pity Motion Blur doesn't help out the scythe

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Just so you know, saving throw penalties can't stack. Very cool build though. =)

That sucks, but makes sense.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Most of these are just random ideas I had while trying to come up with a new character, and most haven't been fleshed out very far yet. Whether they're actually cool or not is left as an exercise for the reader. tongue

Boomstick Interesting combos:
Explosive Arrow – the delayed vulnerability and damage makes for some interesting effects next turn.
Domineer – Dominate three enemies at once!

The Whack-a-Mole Combo
Helped by having the Lightning Reflexes trait, could be done without it at reduced effectiveness. Motion Blur, Falling with Style, Never Say Die, and Rapid Recovery could be nice as well.
Take Never Stay Down, which has a -5 cost with Lightning Reflexes. Use it upon being knocked unconscious. Upon reviving next turn, spend your standard moves regaining those PiPs. Something like Trance could work great, since the 4 Vulnerability it gives doesn't worry you. A few uses of Blood Pact could help as well. Then use your minor (or minors if you have Motion Blur) to do damage however you like, or save the PiPs for use with Slashback (which would be -1 with LR). For extra fun, equip some variant of Spiked Armor to deal extra damage to any enemy attacking you. Pair it with the new Falling With Style to keep your allies healthy and happy, and your enemies infuriated that you Just. Won't. Die.

The Punching Bag Bites Back
Requires the Mark of Defense trait, Vital Surge, Lightning Reflexes, and Rapid Recovery could help as well.
Take Defender, Slashback, and Against the Odds, along with some form of Spiked Armor. Use Defender and your Mark of Defense as appropriate to redirect as many attacks against allies to yourself as possible, letting Vital Surge help (taking Who's The Tank? and wearing Resist-providing armor would also be good). Use Slashback on them when you do, if you can spare the PiPs. Before you run out of PiPs or enemies, activate Against the Odds to deal an additional 1d12 to all enemies that hurt you this round. You could use Meditate to add an extra 1d12 to all these attacks, though you'd probably want Dangerously talented for that, as it makes it difficult to gain PiPs with the single talent left over normally.

Last edited by Philadelphus on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Slight clarification)
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 pm

The Punching Bag Bites Back... I like the name of that.

Honestly, Spiked Armour in general works very well with Defender character. Doubly so if you take the Shield I made for them...

Hmmm...

Is it okay to post combo's using custom stuff? I mean, I know I posted a combo with Nick, but that had kinda been looked at/approved...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 am

Making some just "for the lulz" combat. Have this.

lvl 2 (Cause you have to have Motion Blur)
Turn one
Trance for the + 4 pips
then use
[-7] Wild Abandon - Minor Utility [Created by Karilyn]
For the rest of the battle you may deal +2d6 damage on one single-target attack each round and you suffer Vulnerability 4.
Before
[-1] Frenzy - Minor Attack
Deal 2d8 damage to a random creature.

works great with stuff like hawk-eye if you somehow manage to hit the character you're selecting as your prey.

More damage, you have to own the Amulet of Adrenaline and Ritual knife
And must have at least Motion Blur as a combat trait

So character is
Pips: 5 + 3 for knife so 8 first turn
First turn use Gather energy + 1 = 9 pips first turn also feel free to activate V.Hawkeye or Hawkeye or both if you're that rich or your DM is nice.
Second turn Standards: Trance*2 = 17 pips
Second turn Minor: Wild Abandon and Berserker’s Rage = 1 pip
"Third turn: Lightning Bolt or some other form of fun damaging attack."
Or
Third Turn: Meditate = 0 pip
Fourth Turn: Stab - 1 pip
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 am

Remind me again what Beserker's Rage does?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 am

[-9] Berserker’s Rage - Minor Utility [Created by Karilyn]
For the rest of the battle you may deal +3d6 damage on one single-target attack each round and you suffer Vulnerability 4.

For me this is has been fun building combat builds for get this one, Defensive Fighting, Rutral Knife, Trance... Oh the possible combos are just so much fun.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 am

So... Rage is just Wild Abandon, but with an extra d6 of damage and 2 PiP cost? Okay then...

You know, screw it. I'm going to show of some of the combo's I have using custom talents & traits.

1. Dual Wield
Conjure Weapon moves do not vanish when you Conjure a weapon. You can conjure and use 2 weapons at the same time.

The wording probably needs to be changed, but its very powerful, through you still need to get 7 PiP's again before pulling it off.. Remember how I showed the ability to abuse Flash-Step to chain Gale all the time? Well, instead of Gale, you can now use one of these instead (with the additional trait):

[-2] Thunder Blast - Standard Attack
Deal 1d12 damage to up to four enemies. Those creatures are dazed until the end of your next turn.

[-2] Blazing Blade - Standard Attack
Deal 2d10 damage to up to six enemies.

[-2] Grasping Granite - Reaction Attack
Trigger - An enemy deals damage to an ally,
Effect - Deal 2d8 damage to the triggering enemy and that enemy is weakened (save ends).

Or if I add in my conjured weapons... which might be overpowered...

[-2] Attack Formation - Standard Utility
Until the end of your next turn, all your allies gains +2 to damage.

[-2] Defence Formation - Standard Utility
Until the end of your next turn, all your allies gain Resist 2.

(Both use the same weapon)

[-2] Mass Syphon Life - Standard Utility
Deal 1d8 damage to all enemies, then you and your allies gain life equal to the amount rolled.

[-2] Shielding Strike - Standard Attack
Deal 2d8 damage to target enemy and all allies gain resist 2 until the end of your next turn.

[+1] Flurry of Blows - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 damage to up to two target enemies. You can then pay X amount of PiP’s, dealing an additional Xd10 damage to target enemy of your choice, each roll can be against a different enemy.

[-2] Hyper Strike - Standard Attack
Deal 2d8 to target enemy, ignoring resistance and removing any resistance they had. Target enemy cannot regain health until the end of your next turn.

Perhaps the most deadly through is this:

[-2] Stunning Fist - Standard Attack
Deal 1d12 damage to target enemy and that enemy is stunned until the end of your next turn.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 pm

It's Over, Rabbit, Gather Energy.
Trait: Consume Spirit.

Turn 1: Gather Energy. 5 PiPs.
Turn 2: Two rabbits (Or energy Sparks), then consume them after they deal their damage. 12 PiPs 2 Damage.
Turn 3: Gather Energy Again. (13 PiPs)
Turn 4: Rabbit, Consume Spirit, It's over (0 PiPs) 7d12 damage.

Why it's cool: You're using the power of tiny little bunnies to blast your enemy, or in the case of my fusion character- little bitty kitties.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Not to mention turn 4 It's Over!

It's Over is 17 PiP's right?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Yep! Not the fastest way to get it (Some people have done turn 2 supposedly) but here's the thing: You're using bunnies to power yourself enough to rain heavy damage on your foes~
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:19 pm

That is hilarous XD

Through, Turn 2 It's Over! ? How?

Without ally help.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Let's see...
I think I saw Ritual knife (3 PiPs for 6 HP), Gather Energy on the first turn, (making that 10) Trance first ( 14)... and some way to get 3 more PiPs I'm not sure.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:45 pm

I think The turn 2 combos all relied on that Daredevil move, where you deal Xd10 damage to yourself and get X pips. I always thought that was a bit of a bad idea though. No idea how they managed to fit it all into 2 moves.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:28 pm

I can see why people hate it...

Plus, its fully possible for combo's to do a much better average of damage continuously.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:10 pm

If a turn 2 its over is still possible, we need to have a look at it. The damage got nerfed so its on the curve now but still... turn 2 "Its Over" isn't good.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:40 pm

True enough... turn 2 'Its Over' is real bad. If that is possible...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleocek Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:48 pm

As it turns out, I have it on good authority that a turn 2 It's Over is possible... It requires the use of the new traits to get that one extra PiP and a third action on the second turn, but it can be done. As I noted over in the overpowered things thread:

Caleocek wrote:Traits: Spellscape Familiar, Cutscene Immunity (To ensure the familiar survives long enough), Dual Wielder
Items: Ritual Knife, Amulet of Adrenaline
Talents: Gather Energy [+1], Trance [+4], It's Over [-17]
The Combo:
Turn 1-5 Pips, use Gather Energy. Spellscape familiar gives 1 Pip.
Turn 2-6 Pips, use Trance twice (+8 pip) and use the Ritual Knife to get 3 Pip.
Turn 2 still-18 Pips. Use Offhand Strike, then It's Over.

So there's some adjustment to be done somewhere, I think.

Caleocek
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Bronymous wrote:Obviously a trap so you can see what needs to be changed, and what needs to be nerfed.

I'm not falling for it.
This is Flashpoint's current damage combo, at level 3. Items: Quickblade, Hawkeye. Traits: Dangerously Talented, Rapid Recovery Special: Derpy's Lightning

Turn 1: 4 Pips, -2 Meditate (+1d12 on all attacks next 2 turns), 0 Predator's sight (Hawkeye Item, +1d6 to designated target one attack per round)
Turn 2: 2 Pips, +1 Pip from Rapid Recovery, +1 Gather Energy
Turn 3: 4 Pips, -1 Flaming Arrow (1d8+1d12+1d6, 1d6 ongoing)
Turn 3: 3 Pips, Second Standard Action, +1 Demand Duel (1d8 +1d12, 1d8 extra damage if enemy does not attack me on its turn), Immediate Attack -2 Where it Hurts (1d12+1d12)
Turn 3: 2 Pips, Minor Action 0 Fast Strike (Item Quickblade, 1d8+1d12), Immediate Attack -2 Where it Hurts (1d12+1d12)

Final count: 0 Pips. 7d12+3d8+1d6 Damage to single opponent, plus 1d6 Ongoing and 1d8 (if they're still alive somehow) on their own turn if they attack someone other than Flashpoint- NOT COUNTING DERPY'S LIGHTNING.

WHY ITS NOT BROKEN
Requires three turns to pull off, while doing NOTHING to attack the enemy or defend myself on the first two turns.
Stunning will only delay it one turn. Blinding either delays it, or has the chance to kill it if attempted. Dazing on turn 3 ruins it.
Several chances for interrupts or reactions, which could kill the combo or KO Flashpoint prematurely.
Low rolls neuter its impressiveness.

Fun fact Brony, you can only use Where it Hurts 1/turn since it is a Free Attack and not an Interrupt/Reaction. It's one of the things I pointed out earlier, and it never got changed (should be reaction utility, so you can use it as long as you can afford it, but not triggering itself.)

That having been said, just because I saw how funny it could be:

Talents: Draw Blood, Hurricane Blade
Traits: Conjurer's Pet, Conjurer's Shadow, Conjurer's Striker, Motion Blur
Items: Fleshrender, Talisman of Incurable Illness, Spiked Armor

Turn 1: Draw Blood, Hurricane Blade, Flashstep, Pet: Bite, Quickstrike
Every other turn: Flashstep, Flashstep, Gale, Pet: Bite, Quickstrike

It isn't effective against anything with resist or effective immunity to OD (thus why it isn't broken), but it gives a silly way to be bumping up OD by 10 per turn at level 6. More if you get attacked.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next