Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations]

+14
tygerburningbright
Paper Shadow
Grey Pen The Flawed
Quietkal
thematthew
Caleocek
LoganAura
Xel Unknown
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Hayatecooper
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Stairc -Dan Felder
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations] - Page 2 Empty Re: Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations]

Post  thematthew Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:21 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Just so you know, saving throw penalties can't stack. Very cool build though. =)

So when did this change Dan?

Nehiel Mori wrote:
Paper Shadow wrote:Question; am I correct in thinking that penalties to saving throws don't stack? Like, if you affect an enemy with You Will Die while you have a Shadow Wraith summon on the field, they only suffer a -3 penalty to saving throws, and not a -4 penalty?

Right now, different save ends penalties will stack from different sources. So, in the above example they will have a -4 penalty to save ends. However, penalties will not stack from the same source. So two Shadow Wraiths do not provide a -2 penalty.

As an aside: Dan is really unsure if this is broken or not, and his first impulse is to say they don't stack at all. However, I love Save-Ends and we agreed to try the current plan detailed above. So, if you guys do end up breaking this, expect errata changes.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations] - Page 2 Empty Re: Not Broken - Just Cool [Share Your Cool Combinations]

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 am

I don't believe it's officially announced eratta yet - it's been part of the playtesting for a while now. I should have said, "We've determined that saving throw penalties are not going to stack." I'll mention it in the eratta thread now.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:18 pm

I just wanted to be sure. Especially since I learned how to permastun with the stacking save penalties, and had really hoped that would have killed the whole idea.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 pm

You're in luck - it's already been updated in the erratta thread and handbooks.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Beep boop.
So. Tragedy and Throw the Gauntlet.
Tragedy:
Throw the Gauntlet:
Tragedy activates Throw the Gauntlet on each of the 6 creatures, and they have to immediately make an attack with only themselves as their target, thus automatically activating the 2d10 from Throw the Gauntlet.
Or at least, it would, if the system worked like Magic does with a stack and triggers. Instead Tragedy resolves and Throw the Gauntlet gets put on afterward.
...almost really cool. Almost.

On another note, Your Glorious Sacrifice and Reincarnation stack nicely. Summon a conjuration, then sacrifice it on the following turn and get another free conjuration. Continue until you are out of revive conjurations and use your (at least) 7 pips for some talent that deals damage to lots of enemies. Something like Acid Rain. (also, acid damage?)
Speaking of YGS, would the damage bonus activate on each step of damage from something like Crescendo, or just on the first step?
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:09 pm

That's an awesome combination, challenging someone and then forcing them to attack others. However, it doesn't work well because of the once-per-round clause. Using it with something like Paranoia would work great though. This is going to make Kindulas' day, he loves Paranoia talents and he loves his mage-tank build.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:That's an awesome combination, challenging someone and then forcing them to attack others. However, it doesn't work well because of the once-per-round clause. Using it with something like Paranoia would work great though. This is going to make Kindulas' day, he loves Paranoia talents and he loves his mage-tank build.
Still, it's a free 2d10 of damage. You could combine Whirling Blades and Paranoia to proc the combo each turn, getting an overall +1 to deal 1d4+2d10 (3-24, average 12) and possible vulnerability 1.
What about my question on YGS (or any damage increaser) and Crescendo? And what's up with "acid damage"?
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Actually, what you want is to dominate them with Throw the Gauntlet, so you get to choose what they do with their pips that way.

Also, curse you Kal for bringing this one up while I was still toying with that build.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm

thematthew wrote:Actually, what you want is to dominate them with Throw the Gauntlet, so you get to choose what they do with their pips that way.

Also, curse you Kal for bringing this one up while I was still toying with that build.
Sorry man.
I was just messing around with a character I'm pretty sure would be useless on any team, and accidentally made her somewhat decent at combat, and thought I might share the combo.
But using Domineer's pretty smart too. I mean, you're hurting your puppet, so that's a bit of a backhand, but it's still cool.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm

The forced-attack moves, such as Paranoia and Tragedy (though less Tragedy for reasons mentioned) definitely have advantages here. Domination powers are expensive to use and you have to keep attacking the dominated creature to reapply Throw the Gauntlet if you want it to persist more than one round... Which is the major draw of dominating the creature instead of using Paranoia or similar (sure, domination is a better effect too - but that's why it's an expensive one). So, both approaches are definitely legitimate.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:50 pm

Anyone remember this combo?

[+2] Nick
Deal 4 damage to target enemy, ignoring Resistance.

Turn 1: Nick/+2
Turn 2: Nick/+2
Turn 3: Gather Energy
Turn 4: Midnight Blade, Meditate
Turn 5: Lightning Bolt

Well theirs actually a different possible combo. Instead of using a +2 Move, you could use a +3 move instead. Why? Because you can then actually use your Minor Action, through Drain Blood on a -1. Sure, it only does one damage, and heals 3 health. But that's still damage. Plus, it activates things like the hawkeye sights if you didn't attack, which is unlikely. And +3 moves a pretty useful. Critfisher and the rabbit summoning spell seem to be the best to for damage dealing. But best of all, you aen't 100% attack anymore, you have healing. Not much healing, but you do have healing!

Of course, Drain Blood can be used in the old build as well if you want. After turn 5, its perfectly okay to use your +2 and than Drain Blood on a minus 2 if you want to.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 pm

One I like with the new stuff but you have to be a fairly high lvl to do it properly
Amulet of Adrenaline
Talisman of Unbearable Illness
Boomstick
Persistent + Surefire Hex
Domineer

First turn domination of three enemies who take a -7 to getting out of it and have to roll twice.
You can add other traits to change it up(I have rapid recovery and stuff like blink for defense) but that's up to you.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Sanctity of Faith and Shroud of Suffering
Gain 3 pips and 4 temp instantly, and then have Resist 3 and Regen 2 as long as you fail the save ends.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 pm

I came up with an optimized It's Over build:

Talents:

(+1) Gather Energy
(+2) Healing Salve
(+4) Trance
(+5) All Or Nothing
(-17) It's Over!

Items:
Ritual Knife (2500)
Iron Shield (1000)

Turn 1:
(+1) Gather Energy
Total: 5 PiPs

Turn 2:
(+4) Trance
(+5) All Or Nothing
(+3) Ritual Knife
Total: 17 PiPs

Turn 3:
(-17) It's Over!
Total: 0 PiPs

Turn 4:
(0) Iron Shield
(+2) Healing Salve
Total: 2 PiPs

----

Of course, at this point there's not a whole lot else you can do to help. But does one really need to?
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:13 pm

I wish to add to this, with the help of an ally...

Add to Main Player:
Dual Wielder Trait

Ally Talents:
Energise

Turn 1:
[+1] Gather Energy
Ally uses Energise on You (+1 Pip)
Total: 6 Pips

Turn 2:
[+4] Trance
[+5] All Or Nothing
[+3] Ritual Knife
[-1] Offhand Strike
[-17] It's Over!
Total: 0 PiPs

*Deal With It Sunglasses*
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Are. Oh. Eff. Ell!

Now, how do we get that extra PiP without an ally? Hmmm...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:Are. Oh. Eff. Ell!

Now, how do we get that extra PiP without an ally? Hmmm...
Consume Spirit on Spellscape Familiar as soon as combat starts, since it is a free action? If you move before any enemies, you won't even need to use Consume Spirit...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Thats... one hell of a glass-cannon...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Thats... one hell of a glass-cannon...
To be fair, afterwards, if you are somehow still standing, you can spend minor actions swapping out the combat talents for some normal ones, so you go from Giga Glass Cannon to Regular Crazy Guy. And obviously, late-game, you'll have a bunch of extra traits and items for extra protection and tricks to use. For example, equipping yourself with Phoenix items, or instead of Consume Spirit on Spellscape Familiar, you could Consume Spirit on a Conjurer's Pet with The Spirit Ascends to throw a Fire Giant into the mix. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:44 pm

I have both a combo, and a story. First, the combo. (and this is a skype-version combo)

This uses a lot of pieces together to get a cool effect, here is the list of them all.

Combat Talents: Gather Energy, Flametounge and Bloodweapon
Items: Ritual Knife, Talisman of Weapons
Traits: Rapid Recovery

Turn 1: Ritual Knife, Gather Energy, Talisman of Weapons for Flametounge.
At 4 pips, two standard actions and wielding Flametounge. Dealt no damage.

Turn 2: Fireclaw, Cremate, Bloodweapon.
At 3 pips, wielding Bloodweapon, next single target attack targets 4 people instead. Dealt 1d10+4d8 damage. (average damage 23.5)

Turn 3: Rapid Recovery triggers, Douse in Blood, Eviscerate.
At 0 pips, wielding Bloodweapon. Dealt 5d8 damage to 4 creatures. (average 22.5 to one person. 90 damage dealt total)

Damage done over three rounds, 113.5 not counting in crits.

Turn 4: Whatever you want! You gain a pip from Rapid Recovery and are still wielding the Bloodweapon, which deals damage over the curve.

I use Be Prepared as my crit because the d8 crit is an additional 1d10 damage and the 10 crit is 2d12 health which can offset the damage you are taking.

The Story

I was playing in Kindulas's skype game and we walked into a room full of mooks. I did the first half of the combo (turns 1 and 2) we killed everything. Walking into the next room, we got jumped by a another group. Because this was within' 5 minutes of the last fight all the status effects from it remained. So on my first turn I did 26 damage to everything in the room and pretty much wiped the encounter away instantly.

Last edited by Nehiel Mori on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Pretty powerful...

Thinking about it. The combo I posted in the very first page isn't all that powerful is it?

Through at the same time, it is pretty consistent.

Through due to Meditates increased cost, you now need an item to increase your PiP count at the start. Through Blood Knife and Amulet of Adrenaline both allow you to unless Midnight Blade and Meditate one turn earlier than normal for increased damage.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:35 am

I've been trying to think of ways to make Assassin's Gambit useful. I ended up with this Level 2 Build...

Spoiler:
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 am

A build I've been working on for a Pegasus character.

Talents: Trance, Taunting Strike, Wild Abandon, Hurricane Blade
Items: Talisman Of Weapons

Turn 1:
Standard: (+4) Trance
Minor: (-7) Wild Abandon
PiPs: 1

Turn 2:
Standard: (+3) Taunting Strike
Minor: Talisman Of Weapons (-4) Hurricane Blade
PiPs: 0

Turn 3, 4, & 5:
Standard: (+2) Blowback
Minor: (+1) Flashstep
PiPs: 9

Turn6
Free: Dismiss Wind Rapier
PiPs: 4

Turn 7:
Standard: (+3) Taunting Strike
Minor: (-7) Hurricane Blade
PiPs: 0

Repeat from Turn 3 until everyone is dead.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:13 am

Turn6
Free: Dismiss Wind Rapier
PiPs: 4

I don't see why you are doing this step... the last time I checked Wild Abandon does not stack and it has no time limit.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:16 am

Same here, pretty nifty combination through.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next