Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 40 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Kindulas Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:29 am

Ramsus wrote:I'd agree with Dan that Derp is fair. The extra crit failing might have some numerical worth removed from the talent but, really you're trading a utility talent for the ability to take another MP talent in addition to your element and actually getting to use both. It serves to increase versatility in player builds as otherwise the tendency would be for people to just avoid MP costing talents. (Though it does lead to some sillyness like Derp + Generosity but, hey, that encourages teamwork so that's a different kind of plus at least.)

Edit: Isn't it still a problem that the companion gets 6 racial points when it should only have 3?
I'm not arguing Derp's existance is a problem, just that the only drawback is nat failing on checks you weren't likely to succeed on anyway. I would at least want to see it go up to failing on 5s - at the moment, it seems a talent so good I almost always take it, find it painful when I don't and wonder why the rest of my party only has one magic point each, because I mean who does that when you can take Derp for almost no penalty?
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 40 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:55 am

*shrug* I can't say I agree with that pain. We get too few Utility talents to feel I'm missing out when I use the space I would use to take Derp to instead take Phase Step or such. And up to 5 crit fail would make things that check for crit fails too strong while making you fail 1/4th of the time even on tasks you can't fail on without a crit fail. Which is ridiculous.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:13 am

I would at least want to see it go up to failing on 5s

I agree, make it 5's I want more re-rolls Razz

Also
Form of the Bear
1/Day
Preparation Time: 5 seconds
You enter the Form of the Bear. Your size becomes large, your Brawn becomes 20, you gain training in athletics and endurance. You gain the racial trait Terrify. While using Form of the Bear you cannot use any of your other utility or combat talents. You may end this effect at any time.

What happens to UT talents such as Highborn or Eagle Eye? Do you still get the racials/passive effects they provide or do you temporarily lose them until you end the form?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:31 am

Bumping Cuteless's question and asking my own
How does Go get the bastard and Sir, Yes Sir! interact with Traits such as Warlord's special and Special summon?
Talents and Traits for reference:
Can warlord's special be activated twice from the user of Sir, Yes Sir rolling a 12?

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:34 am

(answer Doc first of course)
Personal Form
1/Day
Preparation time: 5 seconds.
When you acquire this talent select up to 10 utility talents, a size and an animal name. When you shapeshift into this form you gain the 10 utility talents selected, the size selected and lose access to all of your other utility and combat talents. This talent does not benefit from One Soul, Many Forms.

Should this UT allow you to change appearance as well? Or is it meant to be just size and name.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 am

Can I use Spellchild on a true-shifter's ability to remove its magic cost?

I'm also assuming that if your true-shifting into a non-standard species, you cannot have that specics take focused evolution, as it gives it more than 6 racial points?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Do Challenge Fate/Against The Gods affect static DCs? Should they? Current wording would make it seem like they don't but I'm curious. Well, I guess it would affect things like Forcefield which are a static and rolled DC combination.

Challenge Fate/Against The Gods:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Doc pseudopolis wrote:Bumping Cuteless's question and asking my own
How does Go get the bastard and Sir, Yes Sir! interact with Traits such as Warlord's special and Special summon?
Talents and Traits for reference:
Can warlord's special be activated twice from the user of Sir, Yes Sir rolling a 12?
Because it says "As if you rolled the die" I'm ruling that yes you can
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:(answer Doc first of course)
Personal Form
1/Day
Preparation time: 5 seconds.
When you acquire this talent select up to 10 utility talents, a size and an animal name. When you shapeshift into this form you gain the 10 utility talents selected, the size selected and lose access to all of your other utility and combat talents. This talent does not benefit from One Soul, Many Forms.

Should this UT allow you to change appearance as well? Or is it meant to be just size and name.
The idea is that "Personal Form" becomes "Form of the X," so like the others that don't say "While in form of the bear you are a bear," it's assumed you take on the shape the talent is named after. I've used it to become a dragon.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Kindulas wrote: I've used it to become a dragon.
Best way to use that form.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Can I use Spellchild on a true-shifter's ability to remove its magic cost?

I'm also assuming that if your true-shifting into a non-standard species, you cannot have that specics take focused evolution, as it gives it more than 6 racial points?
I believe you can, yes. We might want to make a rule that Spellchild can only affect utility talents from the utility talent doc so that you can't, say, Spellchild some kind of high level destiny feature, but I'm not sure that's actually a problem yet.

And for the shapeshifting thing, that is correct. If I was your DM, I might make an exception so long as you have a magic point to lose when you shift into it. Though I guess you'd need to find a race that typically has focused evolution ("Unique non-standard" doesn't really mean you can just reallocate everything on the spot to your liking via "I, um, create a race to turn into!")
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:
Kindulas wrote: I've used it to become a dragon.

Best way to use that form.
It really is.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Okay, thank you for those answers. Through I'm not sure why I asked...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:10 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:Do Challenge Fate/Against The Gods affect static DCs?  Should they?  Current wording would make it seem like they don't but I'm curious.  Well, I guess it would affect things like Forcefield which are a static and rolled DC combination.

Challenge Fate/Against The Gods:
The DM doesn't roll for static DCs, so this doesn't affect them. Now, there are times when an NPC takes an action, the DM doesn't actually take the time to roll, but you know it's the kind of action that normally would have a roll, you can say "Hey.... was that a skill check they made?"

The example is the time the god of Devils told his minions he would be disguised as one of the players (Neil), but he wasn't and just wanted to create a rift in the party by having his minions treat the member as him. The players used zone of truth to rule out Neil actually being Asmodeus and proceeded to take advantage of the trick. However, Asmodeus appeared and told all of his minions that "I am the real Asmodeus you fools!" Dan made no rolls, but Lapis, armed with Metagamer level 10 thought to ask "Was that a persuasion check?"
"Well... yeah I guess it would be."
"He nat 1s"

So that's the kind of situation where you can affect a roll the DM didn't make but theoretically would have, or at least ask. Static DCs have nothing to do with the DM rolling, however.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Bumping again, cause it may have been missed

When in "Form of the Bear" and other such talents, do you still keep the racials?
Also
Do you keep the effects of such Utility Talents as Eagle Eye and Highborn or do you lose there benefits when shapechanged?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:Bumping again, cause it may have been missed

When in "Form of the Bear" and other such talents, do you still keep the racials?
Also
Do you keep the effects of such Utility Talents as Eagle Eye and Highborn or do you lose there benefits when shapechanged?
Oh yes, this. It technically doesn't disallow you to use your racial traits, though it would make sense if they didn't, especially by flavor reasons. We may need to add clauses against that.

-------

https://ponytales.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=693
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40