Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 21 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Kindulas Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Sorry, it's those times when I hit the email alert link and it takes me to the page before the last page, and I assume the bottom post is the latest. That was a confirmation on the crit-trait question
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 21 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm

so could you answer the ones I bumped now?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:
Ramsus wrote:
So.. yeah this isn't exactly a question and I know it's been discussed before but, I didn't really see anywhere to say it in the Destiny section and I didn't want to make a new thread just for this. I really think that Call to Adventure (Self Discovery's lvl 7) should give two level 4's. Here's my reasoning. 1) It's clearly inferior to other level 7's as is. 2) There are other level 7's that grant two things (Dragon Disciple and Shapeshifter for example). 3) It doesn't really matter if the level 10 should be "making up for it" because level 10's are practically a non-thing since even if you reach that level, you will play at that level for a rather short time, and you will have spent the vast majority of the game without it. 4) I don't even see anything crazy you could do with two level 4's. (The "craziest" options I see are putting your Hero Cave in a box (Master Detective + Inventor) or getting 4 Utilities (Self Discovery + Shape Shifter).

Xel Unknown wrote:Is failsafe spell ever going to get an upgrade, like at all? I mean it's basically a worse off version of the Falling With Style Racial that needs two utilities to take at this point.
Maybe upgrade it into being Falling With Style's Utility version? Like how Faster Then Lightning and The Rainbow Dash are linked?
Could be a worthwhile change.

Xel Unknown wrote:
combat talents wrote:[-1] Haunting Melody - Standard Attack
Roll a d10. Based on the roll, target creature suffers the following.
1-4 The target suffers 4 ongoing damage (save ends).
5-7 The target is dazed (save ends).
8-9 the target suffers vulnerability 2 (save ends).
10 the target is stunned (save ends).
I just noticed, that because of the fact that in the skype system, dazing deals 2 vul, does using this talent on an enemy with dazing do anything? And if not, shouldn't it then the vul save ends effect be upgraded to vul 3 or something?

Ramsus wrote:
[-7] Midnight’s Blade - Standard Utility
For the rest of the battle you may reroll all 1s on your d8s, d10s and d12s. Once per turn, you may have one of your attacks deal an extra 6 damage.

[-2] Chain Lightning - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 to target creature. If you roll a 6 or higher you may copy this effect, choosing a new target for the copy.

How do these two interact? Does each copy of Chain Lightning get +6 damage or only one copy of it?

Edit: Similar question. How do Chain Lightning and Where It Hurts react? If you roll 6+ on the where It Hurts die does that count as a trigger to make a new copy? If so would it only make 1 copy even if both die roll 6+ or would you get a copy for each die? Does the Where It Hurts get copied as well since it's part of the attack?

still need answers
1) We disscussed this. Level 4 and 7 destiny features don't differ in power.
2) Now that it has all those prereqs, we might well do something to it
3) Yes, it should. Actually, the dazed should probably be the 8&9 power. I'll make a note of it.
4) It should really say "Make this attack again without paying it's PiP cost," so only one hit could get the damage boost
-) That would make the attacks separate triggers, too
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Kindulas wrote:1) We disscussed this. Level 4 and 7 destiny features don't differ in power.

But the level 7 features FEEL more powerful. Self-discoveries don't.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 pm

You missed one part of the Chain Lightning + Where It Hurts thing. If you do Where It Hurts off of Chain Lightning and get a 5+ on the d12 granted by Where It Hurts, does that count for making new copies? Or does it only count the die granted by Chain Lightning?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Ramsus wrote:You missed one part of the Chain Lightning + Where It Hurts thing. If you do Where It Hurts off of Chain Lightning and get a 5+ on the d12 granted by Where It Hurts, does that count for making new copies? Or does it only count the die granted by Chain Lightning?
The chance of copying refers only to the Chain Lightning die roll
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:
Kindulas wrote:1) We disscussed this. Level 4 and 7 destiny features don't differ in power.

But the level 7 features FEEL more powerful. Self-discoveries don't.
This is a fair point.
I'm not sure what exactly we can do without making it actually over powered, however, but we can probably figure something out - I'll make a note of it
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm glad you saw our point of view.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 am

Feeling is important.
Sometimes things can be mechanically balanced but feel weak, but then be a secret weapon to those who see it's value. Maybe this is one of those things, but more often it's just as or more important that things feel exciting, especially stuff like destiny powers.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 am

Very true, very true.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:55 pm

A bunch of questions related to the d12 special of Derpy's Lightning.

Use one of the combat talents you brought into battle at random without paying its pip cost.

1) Pip booster activation : Do you get it's pips from the activation? Can you "fizzle" it's cast, causing no effect (as a method of avoiding a "forced" use of one)

2) Conjured weapons: Are the abilities of the conjuration weapon itself included in the roll, if you have the weapon active? What happens if you "hit" the conjuration weapon as a free cast, when you already have that same one up? Can one actually use any talent with a conj. weapon active (due to the conjuration weapon limitation), or does it automatically become a wasted roll (unless it hits another conj. weapon summon)?

3) Interrupts and reactions: Can they be rolled as a result, or used at all, if their triggers are complex? Do they activate, regardless of lack of trigger (for instance, misdirection, or such, which needs damage for its values)? Does one receive a "no cost use" of it (but is forced to use it once the trigger is available to activate, or at their leisure), or does rolling it merely result in a re-roll for a viable ability, or worse, a wasted d12 special?

4) "Multiple Choice" talents - Critfisher, for example: Do players retain their ability to choose effects of a randomly chosen talent?

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Zarhon wrote:1) Pip booster activation : Do you get it's pips from the activation? Can you "fizzle" it's cast, causing no effect (as a method of avoiding a "forced" use of one)

2) Conjured weapons: Are the abilities of the conjuration weapon itself included in the roll, if you have the weapon active? What happens if you "hit" the conjuration weapon as a free cast, when you already have that same one up? Can one actually use any talent with a conj. weapon active (due to the conjuration weapon limitation), or does it automatically become a wasted roll (unless it hits another conj. weapon summon)?

3) Interrupts and reactions: Can they be rolled as a result, or used at all, if their triggers are complex? Do they activate, regardless of lack of trigger (for instance, misdirection, or such, which needs damage for its values)? Does one receive a "no cost use" of it (but is forced to use it once the trigger is available to activate, or at their leisure), or does rolling it merely result in a re-roll for a viable ability, or worse, a wasted d12 special?

4) "Multiple Choice" talents - Critfisher, for example: Do players retain their ability to choose effects of a randomly chosen talent?
1). No. I also don't think you can cancel the move...
2). You don't use the weapon's talents if it isn't in use, and you only use the weapon's talents when it is in use...
3). It is wasted. Same with [-X] abilities. Don't bring interrupts, reactions, or [-X] talents in your Critfisher/Derpy's Lightning builds at home, kids...
4). You may choose the effect, but if the effect tells you to spend pips, you have to spend those pips...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Zarhon wrote:A bunch of questions related to the d12 special of Derpy's Lightning.

Use one of the combat talents you brought into battle at random without paying its pip cost.

1) Pip booster activation : Do you get it's pips from the activation? Can you "fizzle" it's cast, causing no effect (as a method of avoiding a "forced" use of one)

From my understanding of the talent:

1. You do get pips. I believe you always have the fizzle option assuming whatever effects that were to happen can't be used.

2. No clue what this would do... I'd assume that it'd depend if you already have the weapon out, you then choose between the weapon talents... If not you just get to summon the weapon for free.

3. I don't think Interrupts and reactions work with Derpy's Lightning... Or I don't think they do.

4. I believe you can still choose effects after all why wouldn't you?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 21 Empty Where would I post this?

Post  Antiquated Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Ok, my DM is letting us use the joke race options, and I helped a friend build a 2/7ths Draconequus. Now I need a Big Ol’ Storm of Chaos effect table. I poked around with the search function, and didn't find anything. So, I'm guessing I need to build one. Where would I post a thread asking for help with that?

Would it be under Races? I'm not sure, because I'm not asking about the race itself, I'm asking about the effect table linked to that race. Also, if anyone know of a threads I missed where someone else already put a Big Ol’ Storm of Chaos effect table together, that would be great! I found a few threads on assembling a Tons of Fun table, but no such luck with the Big Ol’ Storm of Chaos table.

Thanks in advanced!
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/antiquatedannomaly

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 pm

Basically take a Laughter table... And turn it evil...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 pm

While I don't think there is any public Chaos tables Xel I think did make one. The best way to do it for yourself would be to embrace your inner lunatic or failing that get some of your player to make a few entries
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:53 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:While I don't think there is any public Chaos tables Xel I think did make one. The best way to do it for yourself would be to embrace your inner lunatic or failing that get some of your player to make a few entries

If I could get Xel's at least as a reference, I would really appreciate it. It wouldn't happen to be the same Xel Unknown who already responded would it?

Xel Unknown wrote:Basically take a Laughter table... And turn it evil...
I think I can do that. I've already got a Laughter table to work with, and I have a few evil ideas already, and I can always steal stuff from the show... Also, if you are the Xel who already made one, according to Tyger, do you think I could take a look? I would really appreciate it.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Yes that is the very same Xel.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:01 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Yes that is the very same Xel.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that he will be willing to make life easy for me.

Also, I can't poll the other players because most of them don't know my friend is playing a half Drac. The DM wants it to be as surprise. So, unfortunately that isn't an option. If worst comes to worst, I'll just write up my own and post it for others to use. BTW, if I do end up making one of my own from scratch, where should I post it?
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:12 pm

The best place to put it would be making a topic in the general area or putting it into the joke race page.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:The best place to put it would be making a topic in the general area or putting it into the joke race page.

I didn't realize there was a joke race page, I'll stick it there if I do end up making one.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Mostly I just used the laughter table and planed more evil outcomes if the Storm of Chaos is used...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Mostly I just used the laughter table and planed more evil outcomes if the Storm of Chaos is used...

Maybe replace most of the positive ones with natural and malevolent ones? That seems reasonable. Ok, thanks!
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 am

Sorry to double post, but I have another, unrelated question.
Can you use your harmony abilities in combat? Some of them, Loyalty, make the most sense in combat. Others like Generosity, don't make sense in combat. Laughter... I don't even know. They are written (mostly) like utilities, and you can't use utilities in combat (that's my understanding, anyway). So, can you use some harmony abilities in combat, and other you can't use in combat?

Or can you use your harmony abilities and utilities while in combat, but not for the sake of dealing damage? So, like you couldn't use Sunder Blade to deal damage, but you could use it to break open a door, and escape, maybe?

If someone could explain this, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Antiquated on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo *edit*)
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:18 am

You can't ever use roleplaying abilities to hurt someone (barring DM intervention) or to help you out in combat. However, you can use your roleplaying abilities (which include harmony talents) to prevent combat, escape combat or travel to a combat taking place.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next