Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC]

+5
Dusk Raven
Zarhon
Ramsus
Paper Shadow
Stairc -Dan Felder
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC] Empty Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC]

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed May 22, 2013 5:55 am

I'm currently accepting applications for a *short* forum RP. You can read the opening posts in this forum - the thread titled "Within the Shadow of Twilight".

The focus will be on story, combat will likely not play a part. Level 1 characters with standard character creation. So players that want to explore stories, get to know characters and dig into mysteries are my preference.

Application is a simple process. Just describe why you want to play in this game, a little of your character in mind and your history with Captain Swarthy. Why do you owe him a favor? Why did you accept his proposal?

That's basically it. I don't need to see a character sheet, you can make one if you get included.

I'm looking for 2-3 players.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri May 24, 2013 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC] Empty Re: Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC]

Post  Paper Shadow Wed May 22, 2013 6:31 am

I'm going to express an interest in this, but not post my character just yet...

The character I would post would be my Thief, maybe before he became a self-proclaimed Grand Master Thief. He most likely hid in the Captain's boat after a job got messy, and the Captain didn't report him, which would be the favour he owes the Captain. However, I know there is a person on these forums that fits the Storyteller Player Motivation who has a character who loves solving mysteries, and if he manages to express interest with that character before all the spots get taken, then I'd most likely go as that character's dragon assistant if he is okay with it...

But that depends on if he manages to nab a spot...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC] Empty Re: Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC]

Post  Ramsus Wed May 22, 2013 6:59 am

If by some freak chance this isn't full by the time I wake up, I'll start thinking something up. But, by all means, nobody should feel obligated not to sign up for my sake.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 am

I'm very tempted to join in... I'm not sure I want to tack another PbP onto myself, though (already in two) and got big college stuff in the following month to work on... I'll think about it, just don't write me off right away.

Character wise, I'm thinking of using a batpony mare, with one of the these three personalities:

a) An incredibly arrogant, savvy con-mare, that scams others out of their valuables for a living. She owes a favor with the captain both for being a foalhood friends (they were both scamming rascals at the time, but the captain likely grew out of it), and for bailing her out of jail after a con went the wrong way.

b) A traveling circus show magician who was fascinated by a certain other stage magician at a young age, and went into the magician show-business. Recently split from the circus to make it on his own. She has a interesting secret though: She uses very convincing illusions (alter ego) during her performance and most public appearances to masquerade as a stallion - apparently, her "stallion" appearance and voice nets her a bigger (read: mostly female) audience, are is allowed to "boast" more during a performance, gaining her better profits, and allowing her to perform her greatest magic trick). She owes to the captain for giving her a free meal and lodging during a particularly unprofitable streak (when she was too low on funding to afford any), and for choosing to stay quiet about that secret after he accidentally stumbled upon it.

c) A former, or still-enlisted-but-not-on-active-duty Lunar guard. Has mostly recon/scout operative military tactics and skills, and flying chariot pulling expertise (boring, but well paid). Her favor to the captain was gained after she got drunk and the captain managed to keep her from humiliating herself or otherwise put her job at risk in her delirious state.

Which do you think would fit best?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Wed May 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:However, I know there is a person on these forums that fits the Storyteller Player Motivation who has a character who loves solving mysteries, and if he manages to express interest with that character before all the spots get taken, then I'd most likely go as that character's dragon assistant if he is okay with it...

But that depends on if he manages to nab a spot...

I have been summoned, and so I arrive!

Anyway, I am interested because I wish to get into the swing of RPing, so to speak, and hone my skills. And also because I still consider myself new.

Anyway, my character is a university researcher with specialization in archaeology, who does a little private eye work on the side - his cutie mark is in uncovering secrets, after all. Of course, he also does extensive research into dark magic and the Beyond, but that may or may not come into play - he may very well consider this assignment a vacation of sorts.

As for the favor he owes - it could be a number of things. The Captain may have helped him out with a particularly troublesome lead or ferreted out some crucial information. Or it may have been something as little as some temporary financial assistance when my character's occultist habits left him unexpectedly without a roof over his head. Of course, I get the feeling it won't take much of a favor to draw him to this place... there's more than one mystery to be solved, here.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Wed May 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Oh what the hell. I'll throw my hat in. Looks like an interesting concept.

At that, Bouquet spat his tea a good three metres, imbuing the fine carpet with a rapidly growing spot of sweetened chamomile. "Rescue mission!?!" he spluttered, uselessly. He thought back - that nervous looking pony had looked awfully surprised when he'd walked into the store, and had asked after a 'Bucket' - he'd just assumed the fellow was foreign and corrected him. Rather flighty chap too - he'd jumped nearly as high as the counter when he told him, and ran off after he'd agreed to go on the voyage. "I do floral arrangements! Nice ones, with taffeta ribbons! I thought you just wanted a special arrangement! I even brought the Amaryllis!" he wailed.

Bucket is thought to be one of the most dangerous ponies alive. Said to be a master of every known form of physical combat, the enigmatic Bucket was rumoured to have once disabled half a dozen royal guards with nothing more than a sandwich and half a tube of lip balm - and for nothing more than the mistake of mispronouncing his name. Bouquet, on the other hoof, is a nebbish, slightly obsessive florist that once got helped back home by Captain Swarthy one unpleasant evening when he overdid the salt and wandered into the bad side of town.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed May 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Thought about it, and am deffo gonna join, if accepted. Also, forgot to mention a reason for joining: Cause I've heard nothing but awesome from Dan's campaigns (and spectated a few) and want to experience one of em myself, to try out playing a batpony character (so cool), and to possibly try out a slightly unusual concept or two (at least for the a) or b) characters). I think I'm most preferring the magician mare or the recon lunar guard at this point (con-mare might be tricky to implement here), though still waiting on Dan's/others feedback on the matter.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:
Paper Shadow wrote:But that depends on if he manages to nab a spot...

I have been summoned, and so I arrive!
Well, that sorts that then...

So, my character is a teenage dragon assistant of his character. He has been a dragon assistant for as long as he can remember, but has he grew, he started becoming bigger and more fearsome-looking, and developed a pretty quick temper, getting angry at even the smallest things. While he is now generally calm, able to keep his temper somewhat under control, and pretty educated for a dragon, his fearsome appearance and anger outbursts still scare those who don't know him, to his dismay. My character was already friends with Dusk's character when a friend of a friend gave the dragon to the pony when the latter started exploring for archaeology reasons, and has proven to be loyal...

His reason for helping is either the same as Dusk's character's reason, or simple because Dusk's character is going...

Of course, don't feel forced to pick either both of us or neither of us since our characters are intertwined. I'm sure Dusk's character can go on his own if only he is picked, while if I am the only one picked, I still have my thief character I mentioned above...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Excellent applications thus far.

Now we're moving to phase 2.

Ping got a bit of a jump on this phase, but phase 2 is about a writing sample.

1) Write a response to the post in the game thread, as though you had already been accepted. Don't be afraid to ask questions of the captain, take actions if you desire or anything else. I'm looking for players that want to dig deep into the world, find things hidden and explore the characters - so being proactive is a plus.

2) Give me a conservative idea of how regularly you will be able to post. I'm in no rush for this story, so more isn't necessarily better. There will also likely be hiatus times when I'm swamped by development work for PT and other projects. Just want to get a general idea.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed May 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:2) Give me a conservative idea of how regularly you will be able to post. I'm in no rush for this story, so more isn't necessarily better. There will also likely be hiatus times when I'm swamped by development work for PT and other projects. Just want to get a general idea.
EVERY SECOND OF EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY FOREVER! I'M LIKE THE BIG BROTHER OF THIS 1984 OF A FORUM!

I'm on at least every day, and spend a good amount of time on the forums...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 pm

+1 Awesomeness for the strikethrough line. Made me laugh. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Now see, I saw the other post and thought you already had players ready. Now I find this and everyone and their mother has already applied. Weak.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Stargaze Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 pm

I have certainly enjoyed playing both Living Legends and Pony Tales over Skype. I wouldn't mind trying out a forum game. I wouldn't be able to start officially until this weekend, due to the fact that they're replacing our floors and my internet time will be limited, but after that, I'm available pretty much every day. I'll throw together a character and hopefully there'll be a spot for her in the game. =)
Stargaze
Stargaze
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Well, I'm online most every day, but inspiration is fickle in what time it strikes. For the most part, if needed, I can put together a post, since I don't have school (though I may be getting a part-time job at some point).
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed May 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Well, I'm online pretty often, and can post daily. I might get swamped/busy with college in a month or so (big scary exam), though that shouldn't really hinder posting much, unless it's the type of post that takes me an hour to make before I'm satisfied with it.

And I think I'll be going with my magician concept. Her name is Lens Flare, by the way, and is currently in alter ego form. I assume the rest of the party would not know of this, but the captain would.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 pm

This may be kind of an odd comment, but I look at the title of this campaign and all I can think is that your gathering a party of characters to follow along and clean up while Twilight Sparkle does all the interesting stuff and gets all the glory off screen...

Please tell me the poor party members won't be spending this entire campaign 'Within the Shadow of Twilight'.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Nope, this isn't "Spike's life, the campaign".
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed May 22, 2013 11:24 pm

What about scintillating hematophagic creatures/ponynoids? silent

Nope, this isn't "Spike's life, the campaign".

Technically, that would be the "Spike: Origins" arc. Things pick up after the 100years time-skip, especially during the "Tartarus outbreak" arc.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 am

A writing challenge? Say no more! Within the Shadow of Twilight [OOC] FNcgWwU

I can manage at least a post a day, and occasional rapid fire volleys when the schedules align.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

You know, I kinda assumed the "captain" referred to in the OP was the ship's captain and not the one who hired us, but we seem to have kinda ran with the notion of him being Captain Swarthy... I hope it's the right one.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 pm

It's actually both, he's sailing you himself.

And great job writing together so far guys. Way to make my decision hard. =)

I'll give it a bit more time, so feel free to develop your conversations further.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Could we have some more info on Sunspark (and the captain's) appearance? I assume we'd been told or already know what Sunspark looks like, and Lens Flare already mentioned seeing her. Knowing if she's a pegasus/unicorn/earth pony would also be helpful.

Or can we make some creative liberties? E.g. saying shes a unicorn, orange coat, yellow sunflower-styled mane, dark-brown seed-like eyes, cutie mark (if any) being yellow/orange sparks in a sun shape.

Edit: BTW, google image search gave me this for "Sunspark". Surprised
Image:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu May 23, 2013 11:46 pm

On post is all you needed to make, so I'm leaving a bunch of imagination up to you right now. I want to see how you respond to each other's improvisation as well. Don't worry, the real game will have a solid story.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri May 24, 2013 1:45 am

Creative liberties go, I guess! I'm not sure whether I should post more or not anymore. Laughing
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri May 24, 2013 3:12 am

I'm happy to see where the application process takes us. I had originally meant people to post individual writing responses in this thread, but as I wasn't clear people quickly started posting in the other thread and referring to one another's posts - which actually makes for a much more enjoyable and organic application anyway. So I'm liking what's happening. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next