Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory.

5 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Money

Post  Zkin Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:40 pm

"Well, brethren," Thunderscale teases, "Shall we go get ourselves disappeared?"  Thunderscale pauses thoughtfully.  "This has all the trappings of an inside job.  We need to be be careful."

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Onward!

Post  Golmorgoth Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:22 am

"Clearly, our first task is to track down the deputy who said he sees a pattern in the thefts. To the office of Detective Turnover!"
*Flarestar gallops off down the road*

Golmorgoth
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Two Legs

Post  Zkin Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:35 am

Not inclined to chase a galloping pony on two legs, Thunderscale quietly trots toward town. Surely Turnover would share his appreciation of doughnuts.

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty On our way to Preperations and Machinations

Post  Seiko Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:41 am

Seiko proceeds with Thunderscale thinking to herself.

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty find a brick wall, scale a wall of text

Post  SparkImpulse Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:45 pm

When you arrive at the Stableside guards offices, the cute young pegasus mare working the desk says she'll pass along your request to speak with detective Rocks Turned, and flitters off.

About five minutes later, an older earth pony stallion wander by the front desk, and sees you standing around. Curious, he stops and asks who you're looking for. He raises an eyebrow, and promises to find Turnover.

Five minutes after that, a unicorn stallion with a coat that seems to shift between off-yellow and cream-white depending on the light, but a brilliant ultra-blue mane,  wearing a tweed vest with more pockets than you're used to seeing, and a deputy's star clipped to the front declaring the wearer to be a Stableside Guardpony, investigations division, approaches the desk and identifies himself as detective turnover.

I'm going to assume you identify yourself and something of the reason for your visit

"The orange disappearences? What new information do you have on them?"
[...]
Upon realizing you haven't seen anything yourself, he harrumphs. Almost rolling his eyes, he says "Lets make our way into my office." He waves for you to hold, or stay, or wait, or something, and walks off. Then he opens a doorway decorated to look like the office wall, walks through and latches it behind himself. Waving back out the way you came, he walks ahead of you to a nearby building, which has a lot of typewriters typing though you don't see the ponies operating them while standing on the polished wood of the foyer. Walking down a hallway, he levitates open a door and walks in. The air is immediately about 15F cooler, and much drier, also. The room is spacious, but largely taken up by a desk completely overflowing with papers.

"I'm afraid there's no direct evidence the carrot thing from two years ago has any relationship to this event. The only real similarities are, the amount of food stolen, and the star-shaped pattern in picking the next target." He levitates out a sheet with a hastily scrawled map of Stableside, numbers and letters denoting scribbled too. You might notice no orange farms are marked.

"This was influenced by a colleague who felt there was an Equestria wide ring of thieves dedicated to selling commodities. His feeling was there was a certain shotgun pattern to which city was next, and within the city a matching shotgun pattern to which storehouse was raided.

"It worked after a fashion. Was able to set up several decent stakeouts, but they'd overwhelm our bucks and find a unicorn to cast some memory destroying spell. Even that is a bit of a guess, but the rope burns were there to imply they'd been tied up. Carrots and carrot byproducts were missing, and our poor guardsponies remembered nothing. Not even falling asleep, not staring at the walls.

"Sad, frustrating, all kinds of things. But it chased them off. The carrot thefts stopped after the ..." Turnover pauses, looks a bit confused, and gives up. "Not many stakeouts were needed before they figured this town was too hard."

He breathes deeply, a little too slow for a sigh, and shuffles papers, reading notes, then stares at his prior map of the carrot catastrophe. "The orange thing is either a copycat crime, which I'm leaning towards for a hooful of reasons, or they've got much stronger unicorns, which is both unlikely and very frightening if true. The pattern is different ... I haven't had much luck with stakeouts to be honest, and there is no longer any magical residue. Finding and identifying magical residue from nefariously cast spells is, in fact, my specialty. No spells. It's like a dozen ponies overladen with produce waltzed in, waltzed out, and nopony thought to ask them why they were carrying their wares the wrong way to be setting up their market stall.

"Oh, one other problem with the theory. We've never seen a suspicious surplus of carrots. The orange thing just started a little while ago but again, no reports from the usual sources. Inconclusive, but if they can teleport out of the city maybe they're selling the oranges in the camel's lands, where they'd fetch a very high price."

Turnover sighs, rubs his eyes, then casts his eyes about for a mug on small shelf behind him. Levitating it to his lips he looks you each in the eye, in turn. "So, you haven't seen anything yourselves. The wild speculation was picked up by the college paper, at my request I'll add, trying to track down how their magic could work across that much distance. No luck, but I've revealed no secrets to you, either. The stakeouts might be a bit over the line, more-so if you're in league with the thieves than if you're just tourists concerned for your own safety. No break & enters have gone unpunished under my watch, by the way so your stuff in the hotel rooms will stay there; all the ne'er'dowells know it, too.

"So on to the meaning of our discussion, here. Why are you in here asking about it, and what are you hoping to accomplish, anyway?"
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory.

Post  Zkin Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:54 am

Rather than answering immediately, Thunderscale sets up a box of doughnuts next to Turnover, selecting from it a jelly-filled powdered doughnut for himself. "Flarestar, here, is apparently related to the Oranges." Thunderscale spares a glance at the named pony. "His cousin flagged us down to ask for help. They told us you'd discovered a pattern in the raids." Thunderscale sighs to himself. "Look, I know this stinks of foul play; would it be best if we come back after you've had a chance to check our story?"

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty fritters *are* donuts

Post  SparkImpulse Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 am

Levitating an orange fritter out of the box for himself, Turnover rubs his chin as he tries to dip the knobby, random protuberances of his pastry into his coffee. "The pattern is what I told you about. Star shaped shotgun."

Nibbling on his fritter, well past the part soaked by coffee, he says "They're trying so very hard to make it look random, that it rolls around again to predictable." A sip of coffee, then "I can schedule another stakeout, and ask them about you."

Setting his refreshments down, he raises an eyebrow and looks Flarestar in the eye ... apparently thinking she was the most likely to be reckless and over-eager, although the blue dragon was a close second, in his mind. "Now, I'm going to have my ponies somewhere else, so you can take notes but I don't want you getting hurt. That would make me look bad. And also make you look injured for reasons of injuries.

"But yes, I'd like to ask about you, when I ask about permission to set up another stakeout. Err, what were your names, again?

"And where will you be in, say, two hours?"

Last edited by SparkImpulse on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:20 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Nope. He didn't say all that. Not yet.)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty The plot thickenens?

Post  Golmorgoth Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:05 am

SparkImpulse wrote:
"Sad, frustrating, all kinds of things. But it chased them off. The carrot thefts stopped after the ..." Turnover pauses, looks a bit confused, and gives up. "Not many stakeouts were needed before they figured this town was too hard."

OOC: That statement reeks of suspicion.  I'm guessing Turnover has been hit by a memory spell himself at some point.

"Did you ever personally lead any of the stakeouts, detective?"

PS: Is it possible to magically recover the memories lost to a memory erasing spell? (Arcana 17 + 11 +1* = 29)

PPS: *Snatches a donut and swallows it whole*

Last edited by Golmorgoth on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OM NOM NOM DONUTS)

Golmorgoth
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory.

Post  SparkImpulse Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 am

Golmorgoth wrote:
OOC:

"Did you ever personally lead any of the stakeouts, detective?"

*Snatches a donut and swallows it whole*

arcana check:

"Yes, ma'am. Second and third trips. Nothing happened on my particular watch. It was an off by one error, otherwise known as actual random chance. I'm better at detecting, hence my title, not battling or even sitting silent behind some cobweb covered crates while the thieves burgle next door."

Blinking at Flarestar's concerned look, even while she was trying to chew around the large donut, Turnover suddenly understood, and grinned broadly. "Now, don't you worry miss; I have all my memories. Of staring at the ceiling, blinking at strange noises only to realize it was my fellow guardsponies passing wind. But nothing went missing that morning..." He quickly shuffles more notes through the pile his desk, pulled out several, some of which were mouth writing by the look of the scrawls, some of which had the fine edges of horn writing. And nonchalantly and with practiced ease, he set them all back pretty much where they came from. "Nothing went missing and I never had mysterious rope burns. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm quite comfortable it hasn't been tampered with, either."
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Names

Post  Seiko Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Seiko doesn't pay attention to the doughnuts.
"I am Seiko, graduate of the Evisican University Magica, this is Flarestar who is adept in fire magics and Thunderscale here is a young wild dragon. As we are all magically inclined and quite powerful I would say you need not fear that we may come to harm. We have heard and duly noted your concern for our safety. In two hours I expect we will be wherever we need to be for a stakeout."

I assume that we head out and prepare for our night, probably catching a half an hour nap.

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:42 am

history roll:
"The small island nation way out past the griffon kingdoms?" Detective Rocks Turned examines the silver-gray jennet and considers, eyes squinting. Deciding on something, he blinks and says "Well. I know it's a prestigious and at least slightly exclusive school. I attended the local college, myself but I appreciate you're well traveled if nothing else."

Grabbing a doughnut for the road, he waves the party out of his office before him, explaining "No, obviously it won't be dark enough for even these bold thieves in just two hours. But that will give me time to round up ponies for my posse, and to talk to the Oranges about having two sites watched. Still not sure what to say about you performing a stakeout but they can at least confirm they know you, which will make me feel much better."

Blinking in the afternoon sun, swimming in the humidity, ponies are strolling past on the sidewalk, careful not to exert too much energy. "Let's meet back here in two hours, and I'll get you an address where you can find good hiding spots, and later tell me what you saw."
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Anything to do before the trap?

Post  Seiko Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:50 pm

"Thunderscale got his doughnut and Flarestar still needs to burn something, I'll meet you guys back here in two hours, I'm going to the library."

I do so, (If there is one) looking for info on local legends and stories about lost artifacts of magical power, or known places of magical power, ect.
Perception 11 + 11 + *1 (If Thunderscale accompanies me) = 22 (23)

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Herds of Giant Bunnies!

Post  susan23027 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 am

When you leave the detective's office you see an unusually large, gray rabbit nibbling on the grass. She approaches Thunderscale and sniffs at his nose as an acknowledgement.

(She looks like this but with green eyes.)

susan23027
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 am

susan23027 wrote:When you leave the detective's office you see an unusually large, gray rabbit nibbling on the grass. She approaches Thunderscale and sniffs at his nose as an acknowledgment.

Turnover, from the sidewalk and some distance away already, squints at the rabbit.

Seiko will find a book with confusing riddles (that I have yet to write) But it seems to talk about a haunted graveyard to the north west of town, although you can't tell if it's a days walk from today's Stabeside, or what's now known as Un Stabel, which about the time this was originally published, was probably the "town proper" of yesteryear.

Flarestar should not trigger her element whatever she does, because the pony behind the curtain hasn't finished writing the table (but it's about half finished).
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Public Library

Post  SparkImpulse Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Asking the librarian (a puple unicorn, no less) about local legends leads you to a particular title, published perhaps a hundred years ago.

Now, most of the legends have since been proven false, or the critters have moved farther from the center of pony civilization, their den long since cleared or mined, but this one seems pertinent, still

Where the beloved dead get angry
Doth have one lonesome yard, where our lost were lain to their rest.
By cold, and froste, even nose run hard. our emotions much messt
But following a morn, and a night, did they return and yell
or mayhap more a moan, I know for I ran, else would I not tell
the tale to you today of the cemetary's pet; a creature o! so greatly foul.
On this path let your hooves not set. Ne'er walk it else lose your soul.

So with that made plain, I will say where we buried the half. Not to pay respects,
because none living could remain. And the once dead, with worm and insects
do crawl and moan, and kill e'en today. Too lonely mayhap for their eternal rest.
The once town was a days worth o' hay, trotting with the moon on your chest
and the fleeting sun will rise to show, a turn to the right is a crater of awe.
was once my towne, would that I could go. But the Pet guards with a giant paw,
it's master hungry for more. The cemetary the master and will tomorrow eat
your soul when you explore. That blighted land 'twixt death and city seat.

The librarian can explain a little ... there's a legend that crops up on occasion, about zombies from the jungle, and this is cited as one of the harder pieces of evidence for it. The poem seems to be describing two entities, the Cemetary, and the Cemetary's Pet ... plus the recently deceased, of course.

"Moon on your chest"  likely refers to travelling early, Celestia's moon just setting, thus showing that you are facing due west. But once you can see where you're going, the town (that you're admonished to not travel too near) is well to the right ... the north ... close enough you can identify it by sight at that time, but far enough away you can just keep walking.

She also points out that none of the established roads go either east, or north, out of town so whatever path was taken back then, has since been completely reclaimed by the jungle, and thus it's denizens.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty "Thank you, I will be on my way."

Post  Seiko Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:08 pm

This information is filed for future use. I re-join the party for our night's thief hunt.

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Carrots

Post  Zkin Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Producing a carrot from his knapsack, Thunderscale quietly breaks to feed and stroke his apparent companion, then wordlessly returns to the party (still followed).

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Tackle Hug

Post  Golmorgoth Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 pm

*Gasp* "LOOK AT THE BUNNY IT'S SO CUTE RAAAAAAGH!"
*Flarestare tackle-hugs the bunny*

Golmorgoth
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Bunny and we go?

Post  Seiko Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:20 pm

"A Leporidae Lagomorpha. Yes it is, i suppose, quite cute... but on to business. Are we all ready to depart?

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Story checks out, so

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Detective Rocks Turned greets you with a smile, flanked by two very serious looking pegasi in the local flavor of royal armor. "So, here's my plan. We really just need to find out how they're getting in, out, and where they're taking so much produce. So my boys and I will guard a warehouse in town ... it's honestly the more likely target, and I'll show you which orchard you can find a place to hide in.

"The workers will be there 'til dusk I'm sure ... plenty of time to find some crevice to hide in or whatnot ... and depending on how many there are, it might be anywhere from midnight to three in the morning. If they even show up. The star pattern would lead them to a particular orchard but it's been picked clean over the last two days, and all its produce moved to a warehouse in preparation for transport on tomorrow's train. That's why we're guarding the warehouse it's more likely to see an intricate battle and I don't want to mix citizens into that already complicated layout. So, uh, go ahead and follow me."

Going north, the guards still trailing him closely behind, the detective explains that this particular field has been recently replanted "Lots of small trees, you'll know by the iron railings holding them up." Squinting at the flemish giant hopping along with the party, he adds "And to keep the wildlife from eating them before they mature. So, just don't step on them and you'll be fine. At the south end there's a bit of a trench. An irrigation canal, I think but it's dry now. You might consider starting the night hiding there."

Arriving, he point out the worker's outhouse, just off the map, and yes indeed there are several pegasi, an earth pony and two unicorns collecting oranges, still.

OOC: I think details for the upcoming battle are a bit in the air. See the other thread and discuss as needed. Otherwise let me know which square you're 'bedding down' in.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Hiding in plain sight

Post  Seiko Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:05 pm

I will hide in square (J, 5) by making myself appear as a cart full of oranges.
Arcana 14 + 18 +*5 +*1 = 38

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Sunshine and Rainbows, Factory. - Page 2 Empty Obviously something's up

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:40 pm

As everyone places their pieces, let's just go ahead and roll initiative order ... it won't get used 'til combat proper starts but lets just roll that now ... and perception to try and see the thieves' set-up. The two trained in arcana may make an arcana roll, and I'll average that with your perception roll to decide if you "feel" certain spells being dropped into place.

Remember when you log in, to look at the blue bar at the top for "new PM" ... I may make something visible to just you, and you'll have to either act, or speak, but not both or I'd have just said in the open "you see X"; so if you see your fellows acting strangely, consider whether you actually think they've gone insane.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Seiko Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:22 am

Initiative 10 = 10 re-roll (Talisman of haste for a re-roll +10) nat 20 + *10 = 30
Arcana 17 + 18 +*1 = 36

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Zkin Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:43 am

Thunderscale bodily blocks the attempted tackle, allowing the hare to escape.

Additionally, Thunderscale will express to the party his suspicion over being separated from the police, and insist that a note of their activity be left for the Oranges to find.

Thunderscale sets himself at O11, using available obstacles to protect his back and favoring keeping an eye on his friends over examining his surroundings.

Perception 13 + 6 = 19
Arcana 1 + 12 = 13
Initiative 6

Aid Another action! (+3)
Seiko: Perception 15 + 6 = 21, Arcana 17 + 12 = 29
Flarestar: Perception 16 + 6 = 22
Sugar Plum: Perception 7 + 6 = 13

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:58 am

Zkin wrote:Thunderscale sets himself at O11

There's a tree there, making that square impassable terrain. You'll have to pick a different one.

edit:
Arcana, 1+ ...
Crit-Fail. Your crit-fail range has been extended for both 1's, and 2's. Also, you are profoundly bored by the utter mundanity of your surroundings.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next