Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators)

+9
susan23027
tygerburningbright
Golmorgoth
Seiko
Zkin
Zarhon
Hayatecooper
AProcrastinatingWriter
SparkImpulse
13 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators)

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:31 am

At least one player has bowed out ... scheduling concerns mostly, and I haven't heard from a couple others in a while ... probably because they're too busy to come here! Gurk!

So, we have an element of kindness, and we might have an element of loyalty if her computer ever comes on line again. Current scene as I edit this, is mid-pandemonium so now's a good time to ask about getting in. Any show canon race welcome, and I'm adding hippogriffs too.

First, something brief about your pony handler:
I've DM'd fourth-ed D&D a few times, and played 2, 3.5, and 4 -th editions at least once each ... but this is a new thing, using this particular system. I'm playing to what I think it's strengths are, which is minimizing *actual* combat in favor of both role playing, and puzzle solving. To that end, I'm finding that I'm emphasizing the difference between what you know, what your character knows, and in particular, using PMs for things like perception rolls, to force the party to decide to work harmoniously. However it seemed to have backfired the first time. Still if discovering why pegasi are stealing produce instead of making weather for a living in this vaguely (very distantly) Call-of-Cthulhu-esque world sounds interesting ... read on.

Rough expectations are: be willing to read at least twice a day during combat, and at least every other day outside of combat. On the one hoof this feels like it will be a short campaign and on another hoof it feels like it will take forever to properly tell the story and on another hoof I only know a few highpoints about the world and am making the rest up and on my last hoof I think even ad libbing and ponyfing skyrim (it's a possibility that's in the works, for this campaign) is fun because you're seeing Equestria as I see it ... and I get to read your fan fic as you live it, LARPing, if you will.

in-character thread is here now

This will be our 'canon' map although smaller, less painful version are up too, such as here

Last edited by SparkImpulse on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:16 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : and now we're on empty.)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Re: Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators)

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Yo, I know I ain't part of this, just wanted to let you guys know that as an alternative to the honors system (though I prefer the honors system myself) you can potentially use this Dungeons and Dragons dice roller and take screenshots of the results. There's also potentially (I have heard of them and do not know which ones they are) chat rooms out there that log conversations and allow you to roll dice in them; that might work if you all get signed up for that room and log on whenever you need to verify a result.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Re: Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators)

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:24 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote: just wanted to let you guys know that as an alternative to the honors system (though I prefer the honors system myself) you can potentially use this Dungeons and Dragons dice roller

Duly noted; thanks.

Last edited by SparkImpulse on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bbc syntax!)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Sorry for intruding!

www.rolz.org is another really good site, it's basically a big group Dice Roller where all the players and DM can join a room and lets you see everyone's results(Also it allows you to roll like d5's and stuff it's great.)
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:09 am

Hayatecooper wrote:Sorry for intruding!

www.rolz.org is another really good site, it's basically a big group Dice Roller where all the players and DM can join a room and lets you see everyone's results(Also it allows you to roll like d5's and stuff it's great.)

That would require them being online simultaneously, for it to work as an alternative to the honor system (unless they do the screenshot routine, in which case, any roller really, would do). And if that's the case, they can always just have "live" sessions together via Skype (assuming they can schedule it), as some of us do. Smile
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zkin Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Checking in with my shiny new account.

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Zkin wrote:Checking in with my shiny new account.
Of course I wasn't expecting a ZKin, (I still want to pronounce that using Lojban rules. Shu-gka-kin) but I happen to know you're Thunderscale, baby dragon / element of kindness. Got your char.sheet and once a few other players check in, I'll set the scene.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zkin Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:27 pm

"Zkin" is my universal handle/alias online; I stick with it for consistency and because it is both memorable and easily shortened as "Z." Any other names I use are situational. =)

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Re: ooc for Rainbow Factory (by invite only)

Post  Seiko Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:24 am

Seiko here, I have made an account. So, how do we begin?

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:15 am

Seiko wrote:Seiko here, I have made an account. So, how do we begin?
Welcome! I'd like a player or two more ... or I may throw this open to forumites depending on a handful of considerations.

Once we're actually beginning, I'll create a thread in the 'campaigns' sub-forum of this sub-forum, and that will be where the storytelling will happen. Here, we can answer meta-gaming questions, or debate rules changes, or whatever. OOC, for out of character, right?

I'm just sorta following what I see around me, and also what I think feels right as a pony handler.

So, first question for the two players here ... do you want to start as a party, and I'll tell you about the town you just entered, or do you want to start as a loose band of acquaintances and let the party form as you adventure together, or ...?

Anyway, glad to have the element of magic show up ... I know you two have been the most enthusiastic about this prospect ... I'll try not to disappoint.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Re: ooc for Rainbow Factory (by invite only)

Post  Seiko Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 am

If it's alright with Thunderscale I would like to have us already be part of a group/party or at least acquaintances because Seiko would love to study him in detail or more specifically the magical forces he represents. Also Seiko needs (but wouldn't ask for) an assistant to "take care of" her when she gets too preoccupied. You up for the job Zkin? And Seiko needs people around her or she becomes disconnected. Go ahead and describe the town but yeah, maybe you should invite some ponies you know to flesh-out our little group. (and now it's bed time)

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Golmorgoth Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Player 3 has joined the game, sorry it took a million years to do so. Will send character over the D&D forum.

Golmorgoth
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Finally Started!

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:05 pm

So, I still need to flesh out the Tons o' Fun table, and player four talked about her character choices but she hasn't created an account here yet. S'okay, we'll get there.

To which end, I've created an in-character thread where we will play our game.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zkin Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:37 am

So, as Thunderscales' pre-campaign relations with the other players I propose the following:
-> Bunny-go-hop will probably be following him for preference, as he is probably the most personable member of the group.
-> I do not know much about Lava-Lamp, but I suspect he would have been the one to have brought Thunderscale out of the wilds, what with his fascination with things that burn [other things].
-> Spell-donkey is probably interested in Thunderscale due to his unique relationship with magic - that is, Thunderscale wields considerable magical prowess without much need for understanding it.

Thunderscale is somewhat older than Spike a la FiM, and therefore has more lanky features (Where spike is all cuteness, Thunderscale looks a little feral - in particular, he is loosing his baby-face as his snout begins to grow out from his face).  His metabolism is currently starting to store up fat for another growth spurt, so while currently wispy-thin he will be gaining weight over the next few months (After which he will very suddenly grow).  His eyes are a shining blue, his scales are blue pushing light-blue.

Thunderscale comes across as a pacifist who is very much interested in the well-being of those around him.  While young and outwardly innocent, travelling the world of ponies has given him wisdom and bearing well beyond his years.

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Magical ores and herbs?

Post  Seiko Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:27 am

So this place sells hard minerals and herbs to the arcane colleges, how do these function/ should I get some for my character?

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:52 am

Seiko wrote:So this place sells hard minerals and herbs to the arcane colleges, how do these function/ should I get some for my character?
On the one hoof, I wouldn't worry about it ... you'll be able to do your spells either way.

On the other hoof, they are related to magic. More closely related to zebra magic I suppose ... potions and tonics ... but it would certainly be a point of interest to your character, when they pass through the marketplace.

Of course you have to consider that while it is collected here, it's also a wholesale operation; there might not be any special pricing for just what you'd carry around in your saddlebags. But I don't doubt there's a college for unicorns, and/or zebra shaman, that both would be of interest to Seiko ... and would be interested in meeting her.

Or possibly being dismissive. Since you're not a unicorn, after all. Suspect I'll have to stitch together an NPC for these possibilities, now that you point them out.

Last edited by SparkImpulse on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : formatting! Typos!)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:49 am

So, Seiko's magecraft. I currently assume that, rather than accumulating talents like a wizard accumulates spell tomes, you would create a new spell each time.

Of course, I'm more than willing to give you a good discount for having seen it done before, and that was a good roll to understand flame on! ... for the few seconds it lasted.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Bunny

Post  Zkin Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:10 am

I let Bunny know when game was ready, when it started, and reminded her it was progressing twice. I helped her make her character up to the point of combat traits and am aware that it has not progressed beyond that point. I am not confident of her desire to participate.

Zkin
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty RE: Magecraft

Post  Seiko Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I agree with you... I believe that each use of Magecraft should require a roll, but if I have seen it before/understand the basis of the magic/have done it before/other stuff, then I should get a bonus when I want to actually create such an effect.
Oh and the maximum I can roll is 43/44 with Thunderscale. (IDK why I said this but whatevs yo)

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty aaand ... the fourth is upon us.

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:21 pm

I may be able to see / respond tonight, but I'll be out of town this weekend so won't be able to progress the story any further until Sunday night, or more likely sometime Monday afternoon/evening.

Feel free to fill in interactions in the town, or have dialogue / slapstick routines strictly in-party, but I won't be able to answer questions for a little while.

Everyone enjoy the holiday!
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty Musiquestria '13 in PDX

Post  SparkImpulse Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 am

So, I went straight from shelving books at the wrong end of town, to watching dubstep riverdancing.

Consequently I have not been able to respond in any way to Seiko's statement.

I should point out, you guys just finished lunch ... so it's still mid-day. The two hours was for the detective to arrange a stakeout and ask about Flarestar's claim to be family.

Still, if you three want to skip anything else and get to the battle ... hmm. I have a blank map, but I want to color in the squares so we can all see what is where. Let me know if you want to skip straight to 'tonight' and I'll have Turnover respond accordingly.

And somepony, thank Carissa for pointing out Musiquestria. It was awesome.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Rainbow Factories: where have all the players gone? (considering investigators) Empty map for battle, and ... artifacts?

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Now I have two tasks. Already set for finessing the map for what is obviously gearing up for a battle vs. thieves "tonight" but I'll have to put some book in the library too, for Seiko. Sheesh, you make a Pony Handler's life hard.

golmogorath, is Flarestar going to go burn something? I guess I could work with that. Oh! and I renamed your character sheet, if you're still relying on my copy of it. Let me know if that broke the share or if you can still get to it.

Edit: the "...life hard" line is sarcasm, for any that might be sarcasm impaired. I don't know about you guys, but I've got a great big grin on my face right now. ALSO: we should discuss when to do that battle, since staying in initiative order will require just a bit more responsiveness than normal posting.

Last edited by SparkImpulse on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I hurt you because I _love_ you)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Seiko Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:20 pm

SparkImpulse wrote:... Sheesh, you make a Pony Handler's life hard...
Fun. You mean fun.

(Or interesting or something, right?)

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:50 pm

SparkImpulse wrote:I'll have to put some book in the library too, for Seiko.
Well, this discussion can happen as easily in the open as via PMs ... are you looking for a side-quest, then? Would you prefer three or so small dungeon crawls with just a bit of loot, or are would you prefer one big item?

This might be an OK time to think about party boons, too. I have one I think would work well and can be re-flavored to match the current alliances you've formed ... but what does the party, collectively, want when they reach level three?

Also, I've written an email to Cassidy Hopalong but since she hasn't joined ... if she writes back and says "not right now" ... how do you three feel about widening our net? As in, letting random forumites submit applications to join our adventuring company?
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Seiko Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 pm

I think one cool extraordinary item would be best. Probably just one dungeon-crawl. (Let the others get their turns in the lime-light and we can try again.)
I like the "Your Own Ship" and "A Friend In High Places" boons, anything to give us a chance at cool adventures. (If we get our own ship can it fly?)
The more the merrier. (no more than 5 please, 4 is preferred)

Seiko
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next