Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 15 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Zarhon Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:19 pm

The wording is what the iffy part is: The traits all imply that each of the trait "challenges" is unique to that trait ("Throw the Gauntlet" challenge vs "Iron Warden" challenge, for instance) and thus cancel each other out, rather than stack/simultaneously trigger (since it does seem like something that could be easily broken in half by stacking, and most of the combat stuff is biased towards the "no stack to prevent abuse" rule).

Should update that, or add a note to specify that the traits actually stack, but are unique/triggered only for the "owner" player. As well as the whole "everything triggers at once, even if dazed etc" part.

Maybe remake it like how inspiring presence works currently (gain ability to challenge, choose effect out of selection, more traits to pick another effect...)? That branch of traits is practically identical in purpose, but much clearer on its ruling.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 15 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 pm

I wouldn't say the wording is iffy. Taken literally, it specifically refers to your challenge - not a challenge based on a specific ability. Multiple abilities provide ways to challenge enemies. "Challenge" is just like any other keyword. However, few abilities work like this in the system - most are unique to themselves - so the answer can be counter-intuitive (even when written correctly). A comment on the traits would probably be a good idea.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 pm

I love it when simple questions spawn involved debating. Where's my popcorn when I need it!?

Great to hear it from Dan though; that makes the combo much simpler to keep track of.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Just calling it "challenge" can get confusing real fast - you have to differentiate it between players, so if more than one player has "challenge" abilities, things get complex. How do you tell what challenge belongs to who?

There's also the fact that you don't apply the challenge the same way: Two of the traits do it automatically with any attack, two do it for a minor action. Makes keeping track of them cumbersome/complex (especially since most DMs house-rule "if you forget it, it doesn't happen").

You can also pretty much apply the challenge to any creature, including allies/yourself, whether on purpose or by accident. It sort of allows a weird scenario where a character can challenge himself, use an attack, and then force that attack to hit himself because he challenged himself.

Last edited by Zarhon on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:41 pm

That...is very good to know. I'd always thought the challenges were unique to the traits, and taking more than one challenge based trait was bad because only one could be used at any given time.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Mark of Shielding + Mark of Defense + Challenge yourself + Attack any target of choice with "Taunting Strike".

=

You force your attack to be redirected to yourself, and the attacked creature (you, since redirected) gets 1d12 temp hp as an interrupt, before taking a meager 1d4 damage and 3 vuln (against your own attacks!  Pinkie Lick ), whilst gaining three pips.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:58 pm

That's hilarious, but it isn't exactly a question. If you want to discuss funny builds that's great - but this isn't exactly the thread for that.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm

I think the build is being brought up for a point... Though what point it is I don't see myself either Dan. Other then maybe something that silly is kinda insane to be game-legal? I'm not totally sure...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:10 pm

So.. the different challenge traits DO stack... that does open up a quite a lot of defense options... including with AoE attacks now...

Still, I think you should clarify in the documents afterwards... both before and after the revamp.

BTW, how IS the revamp coming along?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Sunbeam is working on the initial rebalancing. I believe he's finished the first wave of rebalancing all the traits, talents and items. We're going to still have to go over all the work and check it, plus redesign quite a few of the abilities and decide which to keep and which to cut - plus create math to deal with some of the weirder cases.

We might end up releasing this like the abilities doc, instead of waiting to finish everything we might get enough done to have a working system and add the trickiest things later. Some of the traits would take over a hundred times longer to balance than others, because of how they interact with other moving parts.  We might leave that minority of effects for last so people can start playing with the more balanced system sooner.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:31 pm

That sounds like a good idea... would be a good Christmas present.

Last edited by Fury of the Tempest on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Hope the items get turned into a traits... Cause I've grown to hate the Items... They're the biggest sourse of imbalanced mess the game's combat has... Even more so than the Crits ever was.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Hope the items get turned into a traits... Cause I've grown to hate the Items... They're the biggest sourse of imbalanced mess the game's combat has... Even more so than the Crits ever was.
That acutally sounds pretty cool, just having traits flavored as items.
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:09 pm

I prefer traits & items personally.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:35 am

[-8] Hyperbeam - Standard Attack [Created by Bronymous]
Deal 3d20 damage to target creature and skip your next turn. If you roll a 20, activate all 3 of your special moves (for each 20 you roll).

Dimensional Cape - 1000 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.
[0] Hideaway - Minor Utility [1/Battle]
You cease to exist and can take no actions until the start of your next turn. While in this state of nonexistence, you can affect no creature and no creature can affect you in any way. At the start of your next turn, you reappear.

Sooo, that would mean I vanish for two rounds, right?
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:02 pm

I'd think you reappear, and then not do anything do your next turn, but that's an interesting possibility.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I think because of the rules as written it could allow you to disappear for two rounds.... But that'd be subject to GM opinion I think.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:52 pm

You *would* disappear for two rounds - because you skip your next turn entirely (not just the actions on your turn). Really nifty.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Particularly if paired with certain traits I have already discussed at length  Daring Do 

Another, unrelated question though. The conjurations each have so-many HP when they are conjured... is this also meant to be their maximum hit points? Or could I use healing moves to exceed it? (In particular I'm thinking of Spectral Warden and Rabbit.) I know I should be able to give them temporary HP... it's the normal kind I'm unsure of.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:33 pm

It should be their max HP.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Any given HP amount is also the creature's Max HP unless otherwise stated.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:45 am

Where do I go to post suggestions for new Abilities? I know there's a section for Utility Talents, but for the new system...
My suggestion in case you're curious:
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:38 am

I would suggest just keeping suggestions for the Ablities system in the Unitity Talents section for the moment.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Trait wrote:Throw the Gauntlet

When you attack a creature, you may ‘challenge’ that creature until the end of your next turn. Once per round, when a creature challenged by you makes an attack that does not include you as a target, that creature suffers 2d10 damage, A creature cannot be challenged by more than one creature at a time and a new ‘challenge’ supersedes the first.

If multiple enemies are affected by this, do each of them take the damage or does "once per round" mean that only one of them can be affected?
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I have a question concerning the new version of You're All My Very Best Friends

You’re All My Very Best Friends (1)
Whenever you use a Magic Point to boost an ally’s skill check, roll 1d20. On a 20, you gain a Magic Point. (This includes using the Element of Generosity or abilities such as Yeehaw! and The Stare...any ability that directly boosts an ally’s skill check as a result of spending a Magic Point.)

It specifically states that this includes abilities like The Stare, but if I have Spellchild on The Stare, meaning I can use it without spending a magic point, can I use the above if I haven't actually spent the point?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next