Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 29 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 29 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:On page 17 of Wanderlust - The Adventurer's Guide, footnote 2 simply repeats the text of footnote one on the previous page, dealing with Life, when it should be addressing initiative. What's the text supposed to be?

Quick aside - it amazes and humbles me that people are still playing this system. I led the design when I was a student in college. Now I'm a designer at blizzard (recently hired). Looking back on this system work, so much of it shaped my knowledge about design and balancing. So thank you all for being a great audience.

Thanks for pointing out the error. I've fixed the footnote. Here's what it reads now:

Alternatively, you can use an alternative system that produces better gameplay but is slightly less realistic. It’s what I use in my own games. This system involves the highest rolling side getting to go first, and picking any character they’d like to act (even if they rolled low). Then the opposing side picks a character to act. You alternate back and forth until everyone in the battle has acted once. This works great, because you have added reasons to talk to your allies in order to figure out who should go next. The alternating between the heroes and their enemies taking a turn also creates more dynamic push/pull between the sides, like classic turn-based strategy games. Why isn’t this system the default then? It’s less realistic, and Wanderlust is designed for stories first and foremost. But it’s definitely more fun.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 29 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote:On page 17 of Wanderlust - The Adventurer's Guide, footnote 2 simply repeats the text of footnote one on the previous page, dealing with Life, when it should be addressing initiative. What's the text supposed to be?

Quick aside - it amazes and humbles me that people are still playing this system. I led the design when I was a student in college. Now I'm a designer at blizzard (recently hired). Looking back on this system work, so much of it shaped my knowledge about design and balancing. So thank you all for being a great audience.

So that's what you've been doing that's absorbed your time!

I, on the other hand, am more amused by the fact that no one noticed that for the years Wanderlust has been out. To be fair, it was a footnote, and not actually impairing to gameplay in any way.

But yes, I do appreciate what both PT and Wanderlust are and what they represent. However, I've been thinking of proposing some modifications, given the lack of support...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm

I've learned so much since making these systems. I'm actually turning my hand back to RPG system design for the first time since Wanderlust this week. First playtest is tentatively scheduled for a week from now. Freelancing for a company producing a 13th age supplement, making 2 classes for them, gave me the bug again.

And yes, my time has been spent mostly on creating the game Faeria (free to play on steam!). I'm starting at Blizzard as a designer on Hearthstone at the end of the month.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Interesting. Hmm, would you mind anyone doing their own fan expansions for Wanderlust or PT?

...Oh, speaking of inexplicably unnoticed errors, in the Pony Tales Skype Combat Talents page, on page 16, Critfisher has a period in the middle of "Utility."
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:Interesting. Hmm, would you mind anyone doing their own fan expansions for Wanderlust or PT?

...Oh, speaking of inexplicably unnoticed errors, in the Pony Tales Skype Combat Talents page, on page 16, Critfisher has a period in the middle of "Utility."

Go for it. Fan away. I'm always in favor of people riffing on my stuff and doing whatever they want with it. Just credit us with the original design and make it clear what you've added. Smile
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Of course.

Another question that just came up about a rule I only just learned about, from the PT Combat Talents file:
When a conjuration’s controller is unconscious, the conjuration has to make a saving throw at the end of each turn. If they succeed, the conjuration is fine. If they fail the saving throw, they vanish (not ‘destroyed’).

Is that at the end of the Conjuration's turn, or the Conjurer's turn?
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:Of course.

Another question that just came up about a rule I only just learned about, from the PT Combat Talents file:
When a conjuration’s controller is unconscious, the conjuration has to make a saving throw at the end of each turn. If they succeed, the conjuration is fine. If they fail the saving throw, they vanish (not ‘destroyed’).

Is that at the end of the Conjuration's turn, or the Conjurer's turn?

The conjuration's turn.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Quick aside - it amazes and humbles me that people are still playing this system. I led the design when I was a student in college. Now I'm a designer at blizzard (recently hired). Looking back on this system work, so much of it shaped my knowledge about design and balancing. So thank you all for being a great audience.
Congrats at getting a job with Blizzard. Now I can tell myself that whenever I buy HS packs I'm supporting a friend who works there...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:06 pm

Congratulations on the new job. As far as the systems, despite any individual arguments that could be made about quirks and such, it's basically two relatively stable systems that are interchangeable to suit player and GM tastes. Even outside of MLP's popularity (and the release of its official RPG), that flexiility is probably a lot of what provides the staying power.

I'm also in the "thinking of modifications" boat but I've just been so frustratingly disorganized for a while.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:13 pm

so there's this in the ability list. Fly on the Wall is indented so it's nested in the Audiomancy tree, but there's no prerequisite listed for it. Is Fly on the Wall a misformatted unique ability or is it missing a prerequisite?

audiomancy/fly on the wall:
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Question about the existence of this possible oversight that results in infinite damage:

Guarded stance and barter in blood on an enemy.
Next turn, Condemn myself and whirling blades (or whatever self damage)

Whirling blades triggers condemnation, and I get to deal damage to myself, but i have the armor so I gain 6 temp and whatever damage i roll on the d8 is only dealt to the temp HP due to half damage.

that still counts as damage, though, so bloody contract activates, and deals 1d6 damage.

I reactivate condemnation because it's a single-target reaction attack

rinse and repeat, infinite 1d6 damage on an enemy until it dies.

If this actually works the way I think it does it might need some changing.

Stat blocks:
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm

That's awesome! Yeah, it's an infinite combo. I'd rule that Condemnation can only trigger once per turn to fix it. Nice find.

Also, Audiomancy is intended to be the prerequisite for fly on the wall.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:33 pm

And here I was thinking I was cute with my up to 90-ish damage Barter in Blood combo...

I'll get the Audiomancy prerequisite for Fly on the Wall added pronto...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 pm

The Wanderlust power Berserker’s Wrath currently states: Deal 7 damage to yourself. Your next Single Attack Power this turn deals an additional 1d12 damage to its target.

Is it supposed to only be this turn? I ask since the Bladespells got updated to not be bound to the same turn and instead simply trigger off of the next Single Attack.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:The Wanderlust power Berserker’s Wrath currently states: Deal 7 damage to yourself. Your next Single Attack Power this turn deals an additional 1d12 damage to its target.

Is it supposed to only be this turn?  I ask since the Bladespells got updated to not be bound to the same turn and instead simply trigger off of the next Single Attack.

It's supposed to be this turn to avoid tracking confusion. Bladespells broke that rule to make them more special. If you wanted to play it the other way though, I'm fine with that.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Oh, no problem with the default, just trying to verify the intent.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:10 pm

There's a bunch of stuff in the Starswirl Wing listed as being deleted soon. Is this a Google thing where logging in by a dev would make it go away or is this a dev thing where there's intentional plans to delete them? If it helps, these messages popped up when I was not logged in.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:35 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:There's a bunch of stuff in the Starswirl Wing listed as being deleted soon.  Is this a Google thing where logging in by a dev would make it go away or is this a dev thing where there's intentional plans to delete them?  If it helps, these messages popped up when I was not logged in.

No idea. I didn't do anything certainly.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 pm

The Form of the Bear trait states:

Aspect of the Bear (at the end of your turn, if you did not use a Bear power, gain the following effect): Deal 1d8 damage to target creature, and Challenge that creature until the end of your next turn.
Challenge Effect - Deal 10 damage to the Challenged creature.

Is the Challenge effect correct?  For other Challenges it's Xd10 with X being the current level.  FotB would start losing out on max damage from challenges as it goes up in level and loses out on crit potential even at level 2.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:The Form of the Bear trait states:

Aspect of the Bear (at the end of your turn, if you did not use a Bear power, gain the following effect): Deal 1d8 damage to target creature, and Challenge that creature until the end of your next turn.
Challenge Effect - Deal 10 damage to the Challenged creature.

Is the Challenge effect correct?  For other Challenges it's Xd10 with X being the current level.  FotB would start losing out on max damage from challenges as it goes up in level and loses out on crit potential even at level 2.

This was asked before - it's 10 damage in addition to the regular challenge effects.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat May 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
ZamuelNow wrote:There's a bunch of stuff in the Starswirl Wing listed as being deleted soon.  Is this a Google thing where logging in by a dev would make it go away or is this a dev thing where there's intentional plans to delete them?  If it helps, these messages popped up when I was not logged in.

No idea. I didn't do anything certainly.

So I double checked this and it seems like the deletions were things where the document owner was Kindulus. It was five things and I recovered them in case you want to update those links:

Aspirations of Harmony Character Sheet Template 2.0 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TI_ttW-_4DQc9b9plhV223z2mEmhg-uZDweTTl7RQt8
Utility Talents https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JeUIcCpDk1Uj2L7cUiidjxIkQs9pKW0hdzhPul0rt2Y
Races of Equestria https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nnk4jCk7geNNIst7SXRPbPA1VP6mnXi9mcM8pguwcJo
Spell Book https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rZGei0270eOSRx_JUCkSQLJkRElQXAX5I3iX9P4C7oc
Helping Hoof https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qs_jfRZwfupBHAUDf_6C_QsZ_2DOVN5rMZubRQOh7bQ
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Not quiiiite a game mechanics question: are there any admins available who can approve a new member's account application? They're trying to join to play Dusk's new campaign.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:09 pm

Is this place dead?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:45 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Is this place dead?

That... is a good question. I suspect the answer is yes.
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 pm

Oh, posts, a plesent surprise. I should be checking more often...

Yes, this place has had no activity in a long time. Congrats on the first post of 2020. With no new games and no advertising, there's no new blood, and no new blood means no new games and no advertising, you get the point. Mix with the fact that MLP has now concluded, and the increasing popularity of the Discord app which is basically a Forum/Skype hybrid, this place won't really see anything happen without some person go out of their way to get people to play a game here (which, again, Discord could handle privately anyway)...

But I'm still here! I check in every month or so to see how things are, approve any new users, deal with general maintenance. Last year Tinypic started shutting down and that lost us the banner and some other stuff but I found a way to salvage it. I spend some time on a Discord tabletop server dedicated to Them's Fightin' Herds (yeah, that old MLP Fighting Fan Game finally got released as its own thing this year), but I'm only in one 5e PbP. I did manage to run a one-shot with Pony Tales last year, so I'm still able to squeeze the system in here and there, haha. I considered making a Pony Tales Discord but I imagine it'd just end up very small, if populated at all, and people would focus on their more active servers the majority of the time...

Still, it's nice to see people are doing well.
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next